Slope N/A
Rating N/A
Thistle Golf Club

Year Built 2000
Greens TifEagle Bermuda Grass
Architect Tim Cate (1999)

Bar

Clubhouse, Banquet Facilities

• Golf Advisor: Top Courses in North Carolina (2016 #1) (2015 #9)
  • Golf Advisor: Golfers' Choice (2016 #14)
  • Golf Advisor: Top 25 Course Conditions in the U.S. (2016 #6)
  • Golf Advisor: Top 25 Off-course amenities in the U.S. (2016 #14)
  • Golf Advisor: Top 25 Courses for Layout in the U.S. (2016 #11)

A Bucket list/Top 100 Pick 15

A Wonderday Day Overall

We played the Stewart to Mackay nines and overall the facility is in very nice condition. There was evidence of lost surfaces in most greens which had liekly suffered from the harsh winter.

Response from on 05/01/2018:
Hello, thanks for taking the time to leave us a review. We appreciate your feedback about your round and apologize the conditions of the greens weren't up to your expectations. The harsh winter temperatures caused a lot of stress on the majority of the greens in the Myrtle Beach area. They are slowly returning to the pristine conditions we are accustomed to as the warmer weather approaches. In the mean time, we are trying to do all we can to keep the surface smooth and puttable. We hope you consider giving us another shot in the future. Thanks for playing Thistle Golf Club!
Response from on 05/02/2018:
Hello, thanks for taking the time to leave us a review. We appreciate your feedback about your round and are happy to hear you enjoyed it. We hope to see you again for another round soon. Thanks for playing Thistle Golf Club!

Greens are Gone

Played this course last December 2017 and it was in great shape. Played it on April 20, 2018 and was very disappointed to find most greens unplayable. I played the Cameron and Stewart 9s. Imagine putting on a surface that looks like flaking old paint or on mud surface that has hardened and cracked. These greens guarantee that your ball will bounce and veer off course with every putt. Given the high price you pay to play here, it’s not worth playing until the greens come back, which as of this review, I would say it looks doubtful. Before you play here, you need to call and ask about the health of the Greens. Not worth $40 let alone the $159 rack rate if the greens are not good condition. Right now, the worst aerration job can’t match the poor condition of these greens. Also note that if you want to buy something in the pro shop and you have a 2 pm tee time, buy it before your round because the pro shop was closed by 6 pm. The bar has last call at 6:30 pm, which must play real well w/ the golf trip groups. When we were there, there were four such groups there who needed to find another watering hole. Love the course, but the greens need to come back before they get my money again.

Response from on 04/23/2018:
Hello, thanks for taking the time to leave us a review. We appreciate your feedback about your round and apologize your experience with us wasn't up to your expectations. The harsh winter temperatures caused a lot of stress on the majority of the greens in the Myrtle Beach area. Our greens are slowly returning to the pristine condition we are accustomed to as the warmer weather approaches. In the meantime, we are trying to do all that we can to keep the surface smooth and puttable. We hope this doesn't deter you from returning for another round soon. Thanks for playing Thistle Golf Club!

Tough winter....

Beautiful track but the winter hit this place hard and most greens had pretty severe winter kill.

The staff and the overall beauty of the place made the day a positive one,

Response from on 04/20/2018:
Hi DavMar, thanks for taking the time to leave us a review. We appreciate your feedback about our staff and are happy to hear you enjoyed your round with us. We hope to see you again soon! Thanks for playing #ThistleGolfClub.

Great course as usual. Fairways and tee boxes in good shape but greens were not. Some had been aerated but they looked to be in terrible shape. Not sure what has happened but when you pay $100 you expect a lot. Overall, Thistle is a great track, just may be a while before I come back.

Response from on 04/17/2018:
Hi Damian7372297, thanks for taking the time to leave us a review. We appreciate your feedback about your round and are happy to hear you enjoyed it. We apologize that the greens weren't up to you expectations, and hope this doesn't deter you from returning for another round soon. Thanks for playing Thistle Golf Club.

BEWARE ---"THISTLE RAIN CHECK POLICY".

BEWARE ---"THISTLE RAIN CHECK POLICY".

My group was scheduled to play March 11, 2017, but due to Snow, Sleet, and Wind they closed the course. We were issued 31 Rain Checks for this event. This year we were scheduled on Monday, March 12th, with 25 Rain Checks (6 could not make it this year), and the forecast for the day was a 100% chance of Rain. When I arrived at the course asked Bill working the counter what was their Rain Check Policy. I was told 5 holes or less you’ll get 18 holes. If it was 6 to 12 holes you would get 9 holes. Anything over 12 holes would be nothing, which many would consider fair. The lead groups only got to the 4th hole, and we all returned to the Club House, due to 25+ mile an hour winds and heavy rain. When I asked for 25 new Rain Checks, we were informed they wouldn't issue a new Rain Check on a Rain Check. I was told we had a year to use them, which would have been fine if we lived in the area. However, this was an annual golf trip where everyone lives at least 11 hours away.
After discussing to several Pro's and General Managers at our other courses for the trip, they felt this policy was unfair in this instance.

They at minimum issued the old rain check, which would expire by the end of the week. They stated we could come back between 4:00 and 5:00 PM for the remainder of the week and they would ATTEMPT to get us out on the course. I informed them that would be extremely difficult and/or impossible for the entire group, because:

1. Having all afternoon Tee Times of 12:30 to 1:15 at other courses, plus travel time.

2. Mostly Seniors between 62 to 75 years old.

3. Night encroaching around 7:00PM, and with their estimate time getting out, only gives 2-3 hours to play 18 holes.

Six guys managed to rush around and barely get 9 holes in before night fell.

At $82.00 X 25 =$2050.00 not a bad RIP OFF on mostly SENIORS.

BOTTOM LINE IS WE DIDN'T GET WHAT WE PAID FOR.

Can't comment on Course never got to play it.

Response from on 05/08/2018:
Hi hammy380, thanks for taking the time to leave us your feedback. We apologize to hear that your experience with us wasn't up to your expectations. We tried our best to accommodate your group as best we could, but unfortunately we do not issue rain checks for rain checks. If you'd like to speak directly to our General Manager regarding your experience, please feel free to email him directly at doug.donner@internationalclubgolf.com.

Great 27 hole complex

Played 36 holes on first day of Myrtle Beach golf vacation. Had played Sea Trail the day before and was deeply disappointed, so we were leary of conditions of other courses. We were very impressed with staff upon arrival, who assured us that the day would be much better than at Sea Trail. Were they ever right! Course was in excellent condition, despite the cool windy conditions, and the end of the winter season. Played all 3 nines, with the Stewart 9 being our favourite. Great layout with challenging holes. No gimmicky holes, which was great for this being the first time playing these courses. We were able to book a replay on the morning of our first round. Staff were very friendly and helpful, and clubhouse was beautiful, with good food at reasonable prices. Will make this a regular stop on our early spring golf trips.

Response from on 08/13/2018:
Hello. Thank you for your 5-star rating! Book another round with us soon.

That best course course we have played in Soth Carolina na so far great place to play!

Response from on 02/28/2018:
Thanks for your 5 star review! Glad Thistle Golf Club delivered a fun day of golf for you!

Greens fairways bunkers starter Roger was excellent

Very nice coarse pc green and range. I was told when I walked in the “Golf Now Guy” is here like I was a outsider. Next a Pro comes out said, “you were told of a shotgun start at 11:30 so you must play the same 9 both times.” Well no one let me know and my tee time was for 1:10. I simply paid the $5 for my range balls and left as I could see this Pro was making no provision to this “Golf Now Guy”!
I was a Pro myself once at a extra exclusive Country Club and I don’t understand this treatment at all.

Another great course in southern NC

Read the reviews and knew we needed to play it! Met all our expectations and played with a great twosome that made it even more enjoyable . Would like to play it again!

Response from on 11/30/2017:
Thank you for the 5* review! We are glad to hear we met all of your expectations and hope to see you next time you are in town!
Response from on 11/29/2017:
Thank you for the 5* review!

Best Golf Club on the Grand Strand

We played the Stewart and Mackay nines. What a beautiful golf course. Fairways are well maintained, greens rolled very fast. There is lots of water on this course, but the layout makes play reasonable.
Accuracy is very important, with a few forced carries over water. This course will always be on the schedule to play when in the Myrtle Beach area.

Response from on 11/21/2017:
Thank you for the 5* review! Thank you for the kind words about the course and we look forward to having you back next time!

A golf classic

Thistle is one of my favorite courses in Myrtle Beach. Challenging but fair. In great condition considering I played in November.

Response from on 11/16/2017:
Thank you for the kind review! We are so glad that you enjoyed the challenge of the course!

Long day

Course was very well maintained. Greens fast but fair. Pace of play very poor. Over 5 hours for a round. Rangers came by and did nothing. Not an inexpensive course but they didn’t seem to care if we finished or not. Played the last two holes in near dark. Be careful making afternoons tee time.

Response from on 10/31/2017:
Thank you for the positive review. We are sorry to hear that you were not happy with the pace of play.

Great Value for the money

I play there every year, It's a must play. Course conditions never fail to meet our expectations

Response from on 10/24/2017:
Thank you for the 5* review!

Overcrowded with no marshals in the afternoon so very slow
Usual rate 134 dollars so overpriced and not really worth what we paid
club house beautiful

Response from on 10/23/2017:
We are sorry to hear you were upset about the pace of play. Aside from that we still hope you enjoyed the course!

Great time on the course

First round of golf for the week, first time visitors and would play this course again. Pace of play was great and course was in great shape. Staff were very friendly and we enjoyed our round :-) See you on our next visit!

Response from on 10/31/2017:
Thank you for the 5* review! We look forward to having you back again next time!

Beach Golf

I played the course as a twosome and with a chance of rain and after horn blew and a 40 minute delay we still played in under four hours. The conditions of the course were good. The greens rolled around a 9 and fairways and tees were well manicured. I didn't think the course had much character all the holes were right in front of you. The outside staff offered great service and even cleaned the clubs after the round. I don't think the course is worth golfnow rate.

Response from on 10/13/2017:
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback! We are happy to hear you had such a wonderful experience at the course and look forward to having you back again soon!

It's a peach!

Play here every time I come to the Beach. It's a must play and worth the trip from South Myrtle Beach. Use 22 then 31 North then 17 then 179! Course condition is always great and the staff on the ball. Book a tee time through GolfNow and get a bargain with a hot deal!.

Response from on 09/28/2017:
Thank you for another 5* review! We are glad you always make time to come play when you are visiting!
Response from on 09/27/2017:
Thank you for the 5* review!
Calabash, North Carolina