Tega Cay Golf Club - The Pines

Players 36 3111 yards N/A N/A
White 36 3053 yards N/A N/A
Gold 36 2862 yards N/A N/A
Red 36 2359 yards N/A N/A

Conveniently located just minutes from Charlotte and Rock Hill, Tega Cay Golf Club offers 27 holes of golf in a stunning setting. Surrounded by Lake Wylie, Tega Cay, which means "beautiful peninsula," in Polynesian, spans across a lush landscape of rolling hills blanketed with mature trees. Aside from the scenery, the club stands out for being the only 27-hole facility in the area. The holes are divided into three distinct nines, which can be played in different 18-hole combinations. The Grande View and the Pines are both longer and more challenging than the Cove nine, but the Pines is slightly more forgiving. The bunkering is modest but strategically placed and there are water hazards coming into play as well. There are some challenging holes throughout all of the golf courses at Tega Cay, but overall they are playable for all skill levels.

Location is worth the drive convenient to the city in the 'burbs   Great for advanced golfers locals wildlife/ scenic views   Challenges include elevation changes water hazards narrow fairways   Great for drinks patio dining dinner

"Fun Layout but Needs Rain Badly"

ddotson2's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/05/2018
First time playing Used cart Hot weather

The course is a lot of fun and pretty easy so long as you don't spray the ball off the tee. Back nine (Grande View) provides a more challenging layout with more water hazards. Most of the greens were in great shape and rolling true, but there were four or five really patchy greens. Additionally, the tee boxes and fairways were VERY dry. Not sure if it's just a lack of rain or a lack of watering but the course needs water badly. It has the potential to be much better than it was this day.

OVERALL: 6.1/10, with the potential to be 7.5 - 8/10 with better conditions.

"Great conditioned golf course!"

jblvs2ace's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 01/19/2018

Chuck and his staff at Tega Cay keep the course in excellent condition. The greens are some of the best in the area.

"Great place to play"

Ross3102118's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/11/2017

What a fun golf course. Lots of elevation changes. The course was in great shape. Keep it up, definitely a return trip on the horizon

"Tega Cay Golf Club - Carolina Pines and Grandview"

ccharles's avatar
Charlotte Advisor

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/29/2017
First time playing Used cart Hot weather

Played the Carolina Pines and Grandview nines of Tega Cay Golf Club today. Tega Cay is a public facility, but has very much a private club feel. The facilities are top notch, from the practice areas to the clubhouse to the turnhouse. The CP and GV nines make up the majority of the 18 hole routings, although there is another 9 holes, called the Cove that is sometimes used as an alternate 9, but can be played by itself.

The tees and fairways are bermuda grass and all were in fantastic shape. Bunkers were well maintained and full of soft, white sand. Greens were receptive and quick! Most of the greens are large, with the exception of the 10th, and have subtle breaks instead of large undulations. There is significant elevation change from tee to green on about half the holes. #'s 5, 8, 10, and 12 are the most prominent examples of this. When driving towards the 150 yard marker on the 8th hole, it looks like you are going over the side of a cliff! The course is not overly long, and narrow fairways and subtle doglegs make proper club selection important. Water only comes into play on three holes, all on the GV nine. All in all, Tega Cay is a great golf experience, and I will definitely be back.

"Beat expectations"

kc2000's avatar
Age:  Under 25

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/17/2017

The last time I had played the cove was back in 2012 and I remember a course in poor condition. Well I was pleasantly surprised to play the cove and enjoy my entire round. Yes the fairways were a little brown but that is just what the grass does. But what made up for this was the fantastic condition of the greens. The were quick and looked amazing. Another great addition to this course is the fact that the layout is a little challenging. I believe I shot 4+ and I had to work for every shot. I have just one recommendation, do walk The Cove unless you are willing to walk up some steep cliffs. Overall and great course.

"Great Course"

kc2000's avatar
Age:  Under 25

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/12/2017

If you're in the Fort Mill/Charlotte area Tega Cay's 18 hole course, featuring the Pines and the Grande View is a must play because of the exquisite hole design along with an extremely friendly staff. First, when you arrive at Tega Cay GC you will notice that there is a driving range (easily with 25+ stalls) and a putting green with multiple holes to practice on. But many people overlook the pitching area that lurks next to hole one of The Cove. It is a great area to not only practice your short game but to improve bunker and long ranged pitching. Second, they have the most friendly staff ever. For me, being a member, I interact with them multiple times a week, and I could not think of a better group to run a golf facility. They will guide you if you need help and they are always willing to give a tip or two. Third, how do the courses play. Well I have played the 18-hole course multiple times over the winter and it has played the same each time. The greens are a little slow, but that's expected, and the fairways are superb given the climate of the area. I can't speak for the Cove because I haven't play that course in years and they just opened it up again after introducing a new irrigation system. I will look to put up a review for that course after next weekend because I am looking to play the course twice by then.

"Spectacular greens!"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/23/2015

Played The Cove's front 9. It was a steal at only $16! The course was in decent shape, but I was very impressed by the consistency and quality of the condition of the greens. Lots of elevation and fun tee shots. I'll return to play the full course.

"Course conditions"

rhemphill's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/12/2015
Previously played Played with a group Used cart Good weather Verified Purchaser

The course is well maintained and greens played great. GolfNow is the way to go for booking tee times.<br/> Played course numerous times. This day we were confined to cart path only due the the amount of rain in last few days. Slowed up play and took a little longer than normal, the pace of players kept moving and waiting time was nominal (twice for us). Three times we saw deer on the course and once had to run the deer of the fairway to hit. Filmed deer on phone. Just beautiful creatures.

"Great Course"

rmblack's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/11/2015

Conditions of the course were great from tee to green.

"Tega cay golf course"

Amarano71's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/09/2015

The course was in excellent condition well groomed course, staff was nice and the food at the end of the round was excellent thank you for a great round

"Tega Cay"

sergie's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/07/2015

Greens and fairways are in excellent condition ball placement is a must on this course

"Labor Day Golf"

Jane5641591's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/07/2015

I like this course have played it several times and it's always in great condition.I played the usual 18 which is the Grande View /Carolina Pines so can't comment on Cove 9.The Greens are fast and in excellent shape.Labor day price was a little hefty but you can usually get a good deal on Golf Now,which we didn't do this time as booking last minute.i would always recommend this course for a group outing.

"This course has great holes and challenging."

yvesgallet55's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/06/2015
First time playing Played as a single Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather

My only gripe was that there is three courses and the club house do not tell you which one you are scheduled on because they do not have a starter. I found out after nine holes on the Cove that I was suppose to have played on the other course. I played nine holes on the other course.

Quality of food & beverage: Excellent

"Needs more care for the fairways"

hillstockm's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/03/2015
First time playing Played as a single Used cart Played 9 holes Good weather Verified Purchaser

I played the course they send you to when you only play 9 holes. The fairways had bare spots and the terrain wasn't consistent. The greens however were in good shape.

Quality of food & beverage: Average

"Tega cay"

churchmatt20's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/29/2015

Best greens ive played in Charlotte. Difficult course's but we'll worth the golfnow price.

"great"

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/26/2015
Previously played Played with a group Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather Verified Purchaser

the greens were the best I have seen in this whole area...including more expensive courses...we got an excellent deal thru Golfnow....greta day...there really is nothing to complain about here people...

"Very good course. Not for the beginner though."

Maxle's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/25/2015

Enjoyed the outing. Course knowledge very important for shot selection. Very good first impressions of course, facilities and staff. Will definitely play it again.<br/> Thanks

"Nice Course"

David8757458's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/16/2015

This was the second time I've played here, and enjoyed it again. I think it is a very nice course with a fair level of difficulty. The front nine does not contain any bunkers or water hazards, but features a good bit of elevation changes. The back nine is more challenging with a fair amount of water and sand traps. The staff has been very friendly and professional both times I have been there. Only negative I can think of is they do not have diagrams of the holes on the score card, only the layouts of the greens and hole position. Also, they paired my partner and I up with a single. He turned out to be very nice, but would have preferred to play just the two of us.

The food is good and they have a nice selection of craft beer. I will definitely be back

"Very Nice Course"

milkduddy20's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/09/2015

Very impressed with the conditions of the course considering the extreme heat and no rain. I was able to get a $35.00 dollar rate after 3:00 and enjoyed dinner and a band on the deck after my round.

"Course is great, but staff needs some help."

blipszyc's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/01/2015
First time playing Played with a group Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather

This was my first time to Tega Cay this past weekend and from the other reviews, I was excited to play. We played the Carolina Pines/Grand View 9's. Overall the course was in excellent shape. Fairways and rough were green and in good shape, and despite a recent aeration (with no notice from the course or GN), the greens were fast, but held true. The two 9's that we played were very different from each other. The first was heavily wooded with lots of doglegs and blind shots. Fortunately there is no water or sand on any of these holes. The 2nd 9 was full of water and sand and although the holes were straighter, they were much tighter as well. Lots of elevation changes on both 9's. I'd definitely like to play again now that I know where to hit the ball.

Now for the staff and facilities - I had gotten to the course early so I could hit the range. There was very little signage indicating where the ball machine was located, and an instructor was giving a lesson in the middle of the range, and talking very loudly. There was also a group of younger kids getting a group lesson on the putting green, running around wildly, often getting in the way of my putts. At the very least, the instructor should be teaching some etiquette. When it came time to tee off, there was no starter to be found, and never being there before, lots of confusion over where to go. Once we found #1, a starter appeared from the trees to punch our tickets. The other twosome was lost as well as they rolled up to the tee after we waited about 5 minutes. Someone really should be directing traffic back by the practice area.

Once we got started, things flowed smoothly. Pace of play was good and we only waited on 1 or 2 holes. The big FAIL of the day was making the turn around Noon. There is a rather large snack shack, but when we asked about food, we were told they were out of sandwiches and directed us to the lukewarm hot dogs. How can you already be out of sandwiches at noon?!? Perhaps if one of the 4 ladies standing behind the counter got off her phone for 5 minutes, she could've made some more sandwiches, but you could tell they didn't want to be bothered.

The course was nice enough for me to want to come back, but I'll wait until the "staff" has gone back to college.

Quality of food & beverage: Poor