Type Municipal
Slope N/A
Rating N/A

Grayslake Golf Course is a sporty par-3, nine-hole layout that has appeal for golfers of all skill levels. It's a great place for beginners or juniors who want to get some practice but it's also a quick, affordable round for more seasoned golfers. No matter what skill level, you'll get plenty of practice with your short game. The golf course is only 1,200 yards in length but you can still expect strategically placed bunkers and berms along the subtly undulating greens. The holes range from 100 to 165 yards in length. Grayslake Golf Course weaves through protected wetlands. The water is deftly incorporated into the design. The mounding is also a defining feature of the course. Not only do they add interest to each putt but they can also defect slightly errant shots back toward the target.

Grayslake Golf Course

Year Built 2000
Golf Season Year round. Weather permitting.
Architect Greg Martin (2000)

Carts No

Snacks

Clubhouse

Nice Par 3 Course

It's a challenging Par 3 course. You have multiple shot opportunities over water or reeds. I went with my 8 year old grandson who is new to the game and he was thrilled to clear one of the two ponds that he tried. We used the drop area for him on a couple of holes that were impossible for him to carry.
While we had no problem with pace of play on a weekday at 11:00, it's obvious that par 3 courses attract beginners and I wouldn't be surprised if that is an issue at times (as we left the ninth green, I saw a young girl on the first tee miss the ball three times in a row, for example)
The course is very well maintained and the greens were in very good shape.

Great course if have less than 2 hours

This course is very short. About 1200 yards from Back tees. However this is a fantastic course to work on your short game. There are hazards on 7 out of 9 holes. The course is well maintained and extremely reasonably priced. 12 dollars for a Senior. The staff is great. I have played here 6 times this summer and will be going back. It has taken me about 1-1.5 hours to play nine holes. This course is a hidden gem in Lake County.

Great value for the money

In general it is fun to play and staff is friendly. It will better to have signs showing location of next tee.

This course is for everyone

A great way to work on your short game. I will definitely be coming back to play again soon

Commented on 08/21/2020

Hello and thanks for taking the time to leave us a review. We see you rated the course 2-stars and are interested in learning what we can do to improve for your next visit. We take customer feedback very seriously at our course. Please reach out to our team in the golf shop and tell us what's on your mind. Thank you for playing Grayslake Golf Course.

Difficulty Extremely Easy
Commented on 07/08/2020

Hello, thank you for taking the time to review the course. Please tell us more. The way you have provided your feedback does not offer us any room to grow or change. We encourage you to update your review to fit a more constructive form so we can use your experience to make changes. Thanks for playing Grayslake Golf Course.

Fun, friendly, fast experience!

I picked up the game of golf last fall, and have been coming to Grayslake Golf Course at least once a week since then! This is the perfect course for both beginners and seasoned vets, as each hole presents it's own unique challenge - water, hills, bunkers, etc. I play here so much that I've gotten pretty decent with my irons!

The best part about this course is the staff. They all know me by name and are genuinely excited to see me when I check in. As a small business manager, I recognize that customer service is vital at a small facility such as this one.

My only gripe is that sometimes you will get stuck behind a large group who will not keep a decent pace. I'd imagine that because of the size of the facility and the price of a round, there is a wide variety of people who attend the course. I understand this isn't the course's fault, just the nature of this particular business. This happens to me at least once a month, but at the end of the day, my longest round only lasts about 90 minutes. I'm usually out in 1 hour-1 hour 15 minutes otherwise.

Grayslake Golf Course is the best place for a quick yet challenging round!

Always fun and challenging

A well maintained par 27 nine hole course that’s challenging, but quick to play! Great staff too!

Fun course!

This is a fun course for beginners to moderate skill level players. The holes are short - ~150 yds at the longest - but interesting. A water hazard on almost every hole. There had been heavy rain recently and fairways had minimal bogginess except for water in the bunkers. Unfortunately no snacks or beverages due to COVID restrictions. Nice staff though. Definitely will play here again. A nice 90 minutes.

Great value

Small course but very well maintained and very friendly staff. Excellent value!

Terrible course

Not fun at all. Not worth more that a dollar to play that course. Staff treated me like I want a customer and I felt abused. The greens were horrible and there was too much wildlife for me to handle. Also they did not specify that it was a par 3 course to me and made me pay and would not refund me. Overall horrible experience!!!

Commented on 05/13/2020

Hi, Max. Let us first say that we are so glad to hear you enjoyed your visit. We work hard to create a seamless experience with so you can focus on enjoying yourself and let us do the rest. We also want to thank you for your honest and constructive criticism of the course. Your comments are presented in a way we can incorporate them into actual change. We are going to escalate your review to our team in charge and do everything we can to improve before your next game. Thank you for visiting and playing at Grayslake Golf Course. We hope to earn your business again soon!

Two star course - five star pricing

Just wanted a quick round on a early fall evening. Stopped in here figuring a short little par 3 run by a park district would have good value. There’s a full blown 18-hole, decent, park district course 2 miles away that you can play for $20, so how much would a little par 3 worth? Well, $15 is my answer. Wow. These are worth $10 max. I was expecting a caddy and wait staff at every hole for that price, but I was here and without my caddy and personal assistant assigned to me I may as well play this once.
The layout of the course is probably a challenge to a lot of novices because there is water present on most holes and you’ll have to carry it. The greens are big and do putt true. The tee boxes are fair and kids can play the shortest ones easier.
One odd thing I noticed is that at least on two occasions I caught people picking up my ball. I mean, if a ball has missed the green by 40 feet, you should at least ask. I guess people can’t buy their own balls after popping for the green fee.
Walked the round in under 90 minutes.
Next time I’ll just go play the other course for $20 and get 4X the golf.

Commented on 09/19/2019

Thank you for reviewing the course. Your feedback about the price of our course is important to us. We always want to make sure we are offering golfers a competitive price for their round. It is our goal to give visitors the best chance to get out and play more. Thank you for playing Grayslake Golf Course. We hope to see you again soon.

Over priced...

This is a nice little par 3 course. However, It’s a bit overpriced. $18.00 to walk was a bit excessive. A more fair price would be around 10 dollars.

Fun Rolling Par-3

Clean, well-maintained public par-3. None of the holes are over 125 yards, so you could play with a 6, pitch, and putt. Staff was great, I called ahead to ensure they rented clubs, they do: $5. Great place to learn.

great par-3 course for warming up the season

almost perfect. first game of 2019.
cannot require the grass turn green in March.

Great little 9 hole par 3

Very short but the greens are large and very well kept. Water, tall fescue and deep bunkers if you stray. Definitely worth the money.

Round Lake, Illinois