Lanier Islands Legacy Golf Course

Year Built 2009
Greens MiniVerde Bermuda

Pull-carts No

• Golf Advisor: Best of Golf Advisor (2018 #38)
  • Golf Advisor: Top Courses in Georgia (2018 #2)

Entertaining Clients 15

Torrey Pines of Georgis

Absolutely stunning course with a great set of challenges. A total blast to play. Everyone on the staff to be commended.

Great course, service ruined the experience

Our foursome takes an annual trip south to enjoy one last big weekend of golf every September. Legacy at Lake Lanier has been in the rotation since the beginning. It's one that we kickoff the weekend with and all really love the course. A fun challenge with awesome waterfront holes and a great lodge with onsite lake house accommodations.

But this year was different. The problems began upon arrival, when we were coldly greeted by a starter who claimed we did not have a tee time. OK, stuff happens, but I have the email confirmation of the booking, which was done directly on the course's website over a month in advance. That confirmation was enough to get us out, but it shouldn't have been an issue considering the course was literally wide open. The starter at the desk was combative about the situation and did not seem interested in having us there at all. The attitude continued with the ranger who really laid into us at the turn. His claim was that we had already played 18 and were trying to scam an additional nine. As absurd as that accusation was, we rolled with it as we were having a great time and simply wanted to finish our round before dark. At said turn, the clubhouse was locked, no restrooms, no food, no bevs.....nothing. Locked up and empty, there was no going inside, even though the round was to include said refreshments. That's when the ranger (or cart guy, bright green/yellow shirt) began yelling at our group. He was obviously drunk and rambling (with profanity) about us trying to cheat an extra 9 holes. It was embarrassing and really left a bad taste in our mouths. The shame of it all, is it is literally one of our favorite courses of the rotation and as mentioned, has become part of our annual trip. Having spent my entire career in the customer service industry, I was beside myself. I couldn't imagine ever talking to a customer the way he did to us. Completely and totally unacceptable. If one of my employees treated a customer that way, they would no longer be employed...end of story.

It will be very hard for us to return knowing we, for some reason, were not welcome. We are all confused and upset by the situation, as we're not trouble makers. Rather, we're a group of four college buddies whom have managed to keep this tradition alive well into our 40s. We're not obnoxious kids, wild partiers, or the type that scam anything. We're four professionals whom manage to get a weekend away from our careers and families each September to treat ourselves to a nice outing.

It was extremely unfortunate that we were treated as such. And while I'd like to recommend this course to others, it will come with a warning to do so with caution, as you may not be welcome, and even worse, may even be accused of trying to scam extra holes when you are simply trying to make the turn....

Not great shape

While late in the season, I found the course to be in poor shape. Not a fan of “target” golf. Felt like it was about lake front holes, but the layout is not natural. On the plus side, having free food and drinks is amazing. Free water on a hot day was awesome.

No worth all the hype

While the views of Lake Lanier were great I felt like the $ wasn’t worth all the hype I had been hearing. When I pay $65+ I would expect a better manicured coursed.

Excellent and Challenging Golf Course

The price seems high initially but when you take into account that you get range balls, free drinks and free food and it's definitely a good deal. The course is always in incredible shape but it is very challenging so bring some extra balls. Very much like a links course with narrow fairways and small landing areas on almost every hole. Overall, the course is stunning with tons of picturesque views and you are doing yourself a disservice if you don't get out here and play!

Fun, but the Back 9 is challenging!

Really great course that has multiple views and shots over Lake Lanier. The rough was really deep and made it hard to find the ball if you were off the fairway. They were doing some cutting that day, so I expect they are making it a little easier. Back nine required good long drives and accurate shots to the tee. I normally lose 2-3 balls each round, but I lost like 8-10!! I love the place and will play again this fall when it is cooler.

Great Track

Beautifully maintained golf course that has some of the most stunning views of Lake Lanier you've ever seen. Great staff, free food and drinks, beer on tap! I would encourage anyone who loves golf to give Legacy a try. You will be very happy you did.

Great track

Course was in great condition and greens were impeccable and the scenery was great as always! One of my favorite courses. Very friendly staff and starter!!

Great Experience

Played 50+ rounds at Legacy last year. Every time is a treat.
Beautiful scenery, course always in great condition. staff very friendly and accommodating. Would high;y recommend although not sure I should. Don''t want more competition for tee times. Bring extra balls with you. The lake can gobble them up.

Fantastic

Challenging but not punishing, great greens. They really take care you and have a great course.

Difficult but great

Had some passes to play here that we won at a chairity auction. Very difficult course first time through. However, would love to play again. Target golf is the key here. Staff was super helpful. Course I’m great shape. Remember to tell the gate house you have a tee time and you don’t have to pay the fee to get on the is.and

Great Track

If you play from the Blues it’s a challenging driving course. Fairways are tight and tough to advance ball very far from the rough. But a fair and fun course to play. Will be back to play again.

Best I’ve played in GA

Excellent course as far as layout. Tough to critique the greens because they were recently aerated. But the people I was playing with told me that they are usually in great conditions. They do need to work on their GPS in the carts.
Will definitely play it more often.

Sugar Hill, Georgia