Lakewood Shores Resort - The Wee-Links

Mens 54 1014 yards
Scorecard for Wee-Links
White M: 55.3/104 W: 56.1/106 41 63 72 103 38 65 56 46 51 535 72 57 31 52 48 83 36 43 57 479 1014

Year Built 1994
Architect Kevin Aldridge

Bunker No
Golf Simulator No
Practice Hole No

Love this course

I love the Gailes.. I've played it now 4 times, but this was my first time playing it in a few years. To me, it's more challenging than the rating might suggest. If your shot placement isn't precise, you'll be punished by one of the bunkers that are seemingly placed everywhere, or the thick fescue/rough. The most frustrating part is hitting a perfect tee shot, and then realizing that it found one of the fairway pot bunkers. Be wise with what club you decide to hit out of said bunkers, and maybe even consider hitting it out sideways in some cases. The greens are also pretty fast and approach shots can be relatively difficult to hold in some cases. I had a few that were just a little short, and ended up at the bottom of the hill below the green. I love the challenge of the Gailes, and will definitely be back soon!

Buddies Weekend

We booked our annual buddies weekend at Lakewood on the recommendation of friends who played the three courses on a stay and play package. There were no surprises. The fairway villa was modest but comfortable and convenient. Food was only mediocre at best, especially the breakfast buffet at $14.00 ! We played each of the three courses -18 holes on Friday, 36 on Saturday and 18 on Sunday. Pace of play was good on all three days. We enjoyed the layout of all three courses. The greens where not in great condition but good for a high traffic resort course. The only real negative comment would be the condition of the golf carts. On the Blackshire course carts were covered with mud and we had to call the pro shop twice to have them bring replacement carts to us because the batteries died. However, the staff handled the cart replacement quickly.

Great layout and great service in the restaurant. Course needs some tender loving care and a Marshall on the course during busy days to keep the golfers moving. Larger hole location made a great option for our group who has a wide variety of skill levels golfer. No ice machine for guests at clubhouse or resident area ( big opportunity) .

Overall a good venue with even more potential.

Rude starter, terrible management

We had a tee time for 4:30, so we figured to finish about 13-15 holes as a foursome before dark. When we arrived to the first tee 10 minutes early, a group of 20 golfers were teeing off just ahead of us and another twosome. You read that right, 20 golfers. They were part of an outing and felt they could play extra holes in front of us while we waited because they were trying to "decide a playoff for $1,000". We called the pro shop and they sent the starter out to break the group up, but he came back to us and said, "They're drunk, what do you want me to do about it?"

I've never heard of alcohol consumption being used as an excuse from a golf starter for not managing the course properly. And if there was such a big outing going on, why even let us make a tee time during it?

Fortunately, he let us venture out to any open hole on the course and start from there, so we were still able to finish 13 holes after teeing off at 5:00 instead of 4:30.

Needless to say, based on the poor management of that outing and the lack of enforcement by the starter, we will never come back.The course is very nice though.

Awesome time at Lakewood shores

Ok I'm not a fan of writing reviews. Ive read some though that were nothing like my experience. Every year my pals and I do a 4 night golf trip somewhere in Michigan. From getting the quote to play to the time we checked in and left the service was fantastic.

The bang for your buck is incredible. We yed 7 rounds in 4 days. Ate in their restaurant for each meal and we were all really happy with the dinners we had. The breakfest was a small buffet that did the trick. The lunch was ok but a little more selection would be nice.

The courses were great. The Gail's was our favorite. Definaltey a good challenge especially when the wind picks up. Blackshire felt like a legends style course also very nice. And sarandella while everyone says it's the easiest was also a good challenge and had the biggest green I can recall playing on 18. The pro shop staff were all great and accommodating when we asked to move up a couple tee times.

The rooms were ok. We weren't in them alot we sat outside mostly at night and played cards and drank. We have booked again for 2017 this year with suites rather then the smaller rooms.

Would be nice if the course had a few different types of beer other then the usual Coors and Bud. We had a great time though. Can't wait to come back.

Tim

Good way to end they season

My dad and I played the Serradella course, the oldest and probably easiest of the Lakewood Shores courses. The course was in pretty good shape for it being so late in the season. The greens were nice (and not aerated yet, which is a plus) and the fairways were nice and clear of leaves. The rough was a bit long and there was a few spots that needed some work, but otherwise it was good. It's tough to give the facilities a grade because they are catered more towards the resort crowd and they were basically shut down for the year, but they always look well kept so hence that grade. We didn't eat so no grade on the food. The minimal staff was friendly and helpful as always. We got a good deal on GolfNow and if you come on a resort package it's a great place to play, but it's a little pricey if you just come to play normally. Try to get a deal or a package if you come to play. Overall, another great experience at Lakewood Shores. FYI: The Gailes and Blackshire courses, which are not reviewed here, are great courses as well.

Nice Course

I think they had several course outings going at the same time plus trying to squeeze regular tee times in between. Play was extremely slow. (It took 3 hours to play the front 9) Other than that, the course was nice and in good condition. I would play it again but would check first to see how they were booking tee times for the day. A TRUE links course.

Great fall round

Nice staff, beautiful course that was well conditioned and maintained.

great features

will play again and again.very different from your regular course has that scotland look and feel the swirling wind and long heather grasses.

Nice course for the price

Very green and lush course. Greens were in nice shape and rolled fairly.

Poor weather

An unnecessary bad experience

Course is very nice . Lots of beautiful flowers Speed of play was horrible It didn't help when making the turn they let very inexperienced players out on no.10 in front of us .too bad too, cause it is a nice course

Challenging but Fair

I live in Northern Michigan and the Serradella course at Lakewood Shores Resort is one of my favorites to play. The course is in beautiful shape from the carpet-like fairways to the run true greens. The Serradella plays about 6400 yards from the white tees. The course has a little bit of everything: water, bunkers, and trees, I feel it is a true test of golf for the average duffer. The course is adorned with beautiful flower beds on almost every tee box. How they keep the deer away is still a mystery to me! Lakewood Shores Resort is made up of three very distinctive courses and ond one pitch and putt 18 oles called the Wee Links. I have played all the courses but the Resort course ( Serradella) remains my favorite.

Stunning course

The course is beatiful very well maintaned, we did a little back up on our last nine holes, we had some groups ahead of us. But it was fine. Course is wide open very little hazards. Overall a nice course. One bad I would have to say, the course is near a lake and all day I could hear jet skis. Not very peaceful.

Blackshire

My son and I played on a Saturday afternoon. We had never played Blackshire before and were pleased with the conditions, and the staff. The course was in good shape, the weather perfect and price was fair. I would come back and play again. I don't play much so it was challenging but not difficult. If I had to make a complaint and this would be way done the list is the bunker rakes were old and broken. I know cuzz I used them often. We enjoyed Blackshire

The Gailles

First time on a links course, what an experience. This is a beautiful course, lots of challenges. We did have a problem with a pair of guys that hit into us, made us nervous. The course was crowded because of an outing and slow play. The ranger tried his best to keep them moving. All in all I would go back to try again.

The poorest condition course I have played in 2014

This is $20 dollar golf course. The condition of the course is very poor. There are no bag drop people. My wife and I played 4 holes and left. It took over an hour to play 3 holes (fivesome in front of us).

Beautiful course

I am just an average golfer, but being a female, I thought this course was beautiful with all the flowers on the tee boxes. The course was very green and well manicured, they take pride in their golf course and I was glad we chose to golf here, but we golfed here twice for the week since the first time golfing there, brought me back again.

Course is a good design, but needs LOTS of work

The Gailes at Lakewood Shores is a great design but has not been taken care of. It is in poor condition. The rough is all weeds and the bunkers are not maintained. This is the first golf resort that I have ever been at where there are no people to help you with your clubs. We had to carry our clubs from the car to the golf cart and when finished, we had to take them off the cart and carry them to the car. Pro shop people were not friendly or helpful. I will say that John, the manager of reservations was great. Without him we would have left after the first day.

menterguy
Commented On 2014-08-30T00:29:34.000+00:00

The villas are in the same, neglected condition.

Great, golf-til-you-drop resort, but worthy of Top 100?

Lakewood Shores Resort is ideal for a value golf binge for Metro-Detroiters looking for a great long weekend with a handful of courses all offering a little bit of a different style compared to one another. The Gailes Course came to fame as a replica links course in the early 1990s and has earned regular Top 100 acclaim since. But I must be honest, when you consider the great strides links-inspired golf design has taken in the U.S. in the last two decades (thanks largely to folks like Doak, Coore-Crenshaw, Devries, Kidd, etc.), the Gailes falls a step back. It's fairways and greens are bent, while a true links is fescue. It really doesn't play like a links course, instead it's rather soft. For me, northern MIchigan golf is all about rolling hills, tree-lined fairways a little water and great value. Why try to be something you're not when what you have to begin with is pretty darn good?

My favorite course! You'll love it or hate it.

A true scottish experience. I swear you hear bag pipes when you walk on the course. Perfect flat tees with "back cut" fairway bunkers...you can not see the bunkers from the tee box...use a yardage book from the pro shop. And, bring a lot of golf balls as you're in the fairwar or heather. If you got what it takes, you'll love this course as I do!!!

Greenbush, Michigan