Highfields Golf & Country Club

Pull-carts: No
Caddies: No
GPS: No

Practice bunker: Yes

Dress code: Proper golf attire is required. Collared shirts preferred. No blue jeans, tank tops, tee shirts or cut-offs at any time

Green (W) 72 5266 yards 71.6 124

"Greens a little slow"

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/03/2018

I've already played Highfields 3 times this year, and the course has really dried out since the last time I played. The areas in front of the greens, and the greens themselves were pretty hard, resulting in some big bounces. This helped me on 2, as I landed my tee shot short of the green and it bounced onto the front to about 4 feet from the hole. However, on 4, I landed my approach shot short of the green and it ran to the back. The practice green was really slow, and the greens were almost as slow, and I found it difficult to get the ball to the hole. Other than that, the course was in good shape, and the rough is starting to get really penal. If you missed the fairways, it could take a little while to find your ball in the rough. Front nine was a little slow at about 2.5 hours, but the back nine, which is usually slower, went by in about 2 hours. The Hot Deal, along with the TEEUP25 code made for a really good value.

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/12/2018
First time playing Used cart Wet weather Verified Purchaser

"Wide variety of challenging hole layout."

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/11/2018

The elevation change on each hole requires careful club selection. The wind frequently adds to challenge.

"Great day, not so great golf."

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/05/2018

The weather was perfect, if just a bit windy. I booked 3 spots for a Hot Deal here, and unfortunately the single we got paired with was a bit of an issue. When my group got to the course, the first tee was empty, and we wanted to try to get out a few minutes early, but the fourth didn't show up until 5 minutes before the tee time. He was awful, which I don't mind, but he played slow and couldn't follow his own ball. The front nine went fairly quickly despite him, but we caught up to some groups on the 8th hole. The back nine took 2.5 hours, which seems to generally happen here. If not for the back nine the pace would have been good. Greens rolled well, and the course was in good shape. We were told cart paths only, but the course was only wet in a couple spots. The cart path only hurt the pace of play as well.

"Worth the drive"

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/29/2018
Previously played Used cart Wet weather Verified Purchaser

I like the layout of the course. We mostly lucked out weatherwise, although it did rain hard for the first few holes on the back nine. The weather kept a lot of people away, so the front nine went very quickly (just over an hour). However, we caught up to people on the back nine and it played slow, which seems to be the case every time I play here (total round took a little over 3 1/2 hours). The back nine is usually slow. I am an afternoon golfer, so I know that it will probably be a little slow. The conditions were good, with the greens running pretty smooth.

"Great Central Mass Course"

troy288's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/26/2016
First time playing Used cart Played 18 holes Good weather

Great shape in all aspects and some interesting holes. Several dog legs, some water holes, some short par 4s, and fairways are not too narrow. Nobody was out today and the price was great. Nice practice facilities, although the driving range is iron only. Highly recommend this course.

"Took A Second Look"

NoonanSmails's avatar
Massachusetts Advisor

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/06/2016
Previously played Used cart Hot weather

I played here in 2015, and came back a second time in 2016. My round in 2015 was thrown off by a single named John who joined us and caused us some angst. I am told he is a known, local character. This time I played with 2 juniors who were fine. The course can be very challenging if you go back to the tips. Most holes require precise placements, or you can be blocked out. There are a few quirky holes on the back, including a short par 5 that requires a big fade to hit the fairway or else you end up in a gulch through the fairway. I think with a few more design tweaks they could fix the quirks. The 19th hole is nice and the entire staff, especially the pro and starter are very friendly and helpful. I am not out this way that often, and there several good public course options, and this one is certainly in the mix near the top.

"Nice layout with a few rough spots"

BostonGolfTraveler's avatar
Boston Advisor

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/05/2015

Highfields is the definition of a hidden gem. My golf buddies and I consider ourselves pretty well versed when it comes to New England golf but we had no idea this course even existed until last week. Having played other course in the including Blackstone National, Shining Rock and other we were shocked to find a course we had never heard of before. For starters, the clubouse is a great size and the pro shop has everything you need. Sadly, the driving range was irons only which is never good for someone was constantly working on his driver was constantly working on his driver. The course itself was in good condition with a couple of rough tee boxes and some burnt spots on the fairways but the greens were spectacular. The layout was interesting but don't be intimidated by the yardage on the scorecard as almost every long hole is downhill. With several doglegs this course will take the driver out of your hands from time to time. We enjoyed the course and will certainly make a return trip.

Quality of food & beverage: Average

"Good challenge, great conditions"

John5806544's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/27/2015

This course was a great deal of fun to play. That being said, dont expect to score your career best here. The greens are very deceiving. Take notes for your next round here, as the breaks in the greens are often opposite of what they appear. Don't Be afraid of the distance. Not only does the ball run out, but there are no straight holes, so well placed shots cut off many yards. Private conditions and a very pretty course.

"Great Track"

mrbeisbol's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/24/2013

This course is always in great shape and always a challenge. Great management too...I booked a tee time on a Monday for Friday play and they phoned to tell me the greens were aerated and a bit bumpy, but playable and I could cancel if I wished. That's never happened to me before...no surprises, I love it!<br/> I only wish it was part of the GolfNow network.