A view from the right side of a fairway at Frog Hollow Golf Club
2.4

Style Links

Frog Hollow Golf Club in Middletown boasts the title of "best public golf course" in Delaware. The course has a links-style layout that is challenging but still player-friendly enough to appeal to beginners, seniors, and juniors. The layout is wide open and quite forgiving but there are still plenty of hazards with which to contend. There are more than 50 strategically placed bunkers throughout the golf course. Their thoughtful placement makes up the bulk of the layout's challenges. There are ponds that come into play on six holes as well as tall native grasses that appear along the fairways and greens. The wind is often a factor on the course too and will test your accuracy even further. Frog Hollow Golf Club's par 3s and par 5s are manageable but the par 4s will test even the best players.

Frog Hollow Golf Club

Year Built 2000
Architect David E. Horne (2000) Allen Liddicoat (2000)

Credit Cards Accepted Yes
Dress code Collared shirts for men. No denim.

Restaurant

Clubhouse, Banquet Facilities

Available Activities

Swimming

Available Sports

Tennis

Manicured course at budget price

This course is in much better condition than courses up in Wilmington that charge $10 - 30 more per round. Course is challenging but not excessively so. Only downside is the closeness of houses and the stress of worrying about not hitting them. The times I've played here it hasn't been crowded so pace of play is no issue.
Staff is great. Restaurant looks very nice, but I haven't tried it yet.

Excellent golf course.

Frog Hollow is in better shape this year. They did a very good job getting the fairways and greens back into very good condition. I love the layout of the course. You have a good mixture of challenging holes and some easy holes. Pretty wide open, so long hitters will enjoy with room for error. However, there are holes you must play wisely (iron to green) or you will pay with strokes. Very fun course and this is my wife's favorite course as the red tees are very generous. :-)

Frog Hollow-first timer

I absolutely loved the layout of the course!!! I’m definitely a fan of links-style golf. It was a very hot and humid day, and having it cart-path-only didn’t help, but was understandable. We found out they changed it to 90deg around the 14th hole (group behind us told us they were advised at the turn). It would have been nice if a ranger/player’s assistant would have driven out and told everyone- we didn’t see a ranger the whole day. The fairways were in pretty good shape, tee boxes— not so much. Greens were slow as molasses and definitely needed some work. However, all things considering., I would definitely make the drive to play this track again (was an hour drive). I think it has great potential and I’d be that in prime season minus the recent weather, I bet it’s in phenomenal shape!!

Commented on 07/30/2020

Hello and thank you for taking the time to review the course and rate us. We are going to pass along your feedback to the staff so they can work to make changes. Thanks for visiting us!

Anonymous
Commented on 07/13/2020

Hello and thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. We see that you rated the course 2-stars and are interested in learning what we can do to improve for your next visit? Please know that we take customer feedback very seriously at our course. Please feel free to reach out to our team in the golf shop and tell us what's on your mind. Thank you for playing Frog Hollow Golf Club.

Commented on 07/13/2020

Hello, thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. We are sorry to see that your overall experience was anything short of 5 stars, but we hope you'll give us another try in the near future.

Fairways were great

Just played yesterday, and the course played well. Fairways and Greens were perfect. Sand Traps were either hard sand, or with water? (need work) Not many trees to worry about, but a few holes with water, that welcomes balls.
Only advise is, don't use the outhouse. It has been disregarded for many years it looked like. Better off in the woods with trees.

Another fine day at Frog Hollow

Have played Frog Hollow 5 or 6 times this season. The course is rounding back into shape, the greens show much improvement, I'd suggest handing out a divot tool with instructions on how to repair ball marks but that would be the case on most courses.some people just don't take the time to fix their marks on the green. Played the day after an evening of heavy rain the sand traps were mostly unplayable and most of the fairway traps were full of water or washed out. When Patrick and his team get back to working on the traps and some of the damaged areas of the fairways from last years sprinkler issues have a chance to heal and grow back in the course will definitely be back to 4 plus star status. Also played on a Tuesday when temps were in the nineties there was no beverage cart out on the course so bring plenty to drink with you to stay hydrated, I've only seen the cart out on the weekends. Overall it was a great round with friends, the staff as always were friendly and courteous.

Commented on 07/16/2020

We appreciate you taking the time to review the course and rate us. We are going to pass on your feedback to the teams in charge so they can work to make changes. Thanks for visiting Frog Hollow Golf Club. We hope to see you again in the future.

Course is in great shape but pace of play and staff friendliness awful

I love this course I’ve played about 8 times now but last time I think will be my last Just played Friday July 3rd and like always nothing is too bad except pace of play and the one old starter they have. Every single time I play he starts my experience off terrible and all of my friends that have gone there say the same thing. That starter is so rude and unpleasant it makes no sense to have someone out there with that type of customer service. I would rather him not talk at all than be that unprofessional and flat out
Rude Every single time I play there. Also pace of play can be improved my a ranger a bit more often out there. Lay out is nice and course is in good shape. But I won’t be returning unless the course reaches out and apologizes for that employee poor treatment

Commented on 07/07/2020

Hello and thank you for taking the time to review the course. We would like to first start by apologizing for your experience during your round. Please know that this is by no means the standard we strive to achieve. We are going to escalate your feedback to our team so we can make improvements before your next game and will continue to work towards an excellent experience by using your comment for guidance. Thank you for playing Frog Hollow Golf Club. We hope to see you again soon.

Way too much

The round was 28$ a player,, we had 2 players.. so.. 56 plus booking fees.. we rode together in 1 cart as we always do..THEY CHARGED 20$ A PERSON FOR 1 CART.. so 40$ for a cart...??!!!!?? So for 28 bucks a person,, it was still over 100$ to play,,, how was that a deal

Commented on 07/07/2020

Hello, we appreciate you reviewing the course. Let us first start by apologizing for the experience you had when booking your round. Your feedback about confusion of the final payment due at the course during the booking process is important to us. We always want to make sure our golfers are clear about their purchase before checking out. We ask that you reach out to our staff in the pro shop for further resolution in this matter. Thank you for playing Frog Hollow Golf Club. We hope to hear from you again soon.

Rude Staff

The course is in ok shape compared to what it was last year. The starter was rude, and I didn’t like the fact that they lure you in with the $30.00 price. When you check in, they then tell you that that price is walking only and charge you an extra $20.00 to ride. GO PLAY ODESSA NATIONAL OR BACKCREEK, much better courses with better staff!

Course is great

Played this course last year and do to no fault of their own ,the heat and sprinkler system a few holes were damaged. Now this year all is repaired and it’s GREAT!!,

Rounding back to shape

The work they’ve put in to get the course in good shape after the unfortunate irrigation system incident last summer left most the greens and a lot of the fairways in horrible shape. Most of the greens are in good shape, just a few spotty areas and they’re keeping them just a little long as they continue to recover. Everything else is in good shape. I’ve really liked this course a lot and I’m glad to see it playing well again! Definitely be back again soon and am hoping they can get back to the smooth fast greens!

Course improving

Post the irrigation issue from last summer the course is making a comeback, although there are still some rough spots. It’s a great layout at a great price. To me, the only thing keeping it from a full 5 star rating are the conditions of the traps which are improving slowly but still have a ways to go

Course conditions are good

After the past year and a half of bad fairways and greens the course is in much better shape except for the 14th green

Commented on 06/16/2020

Thank you for reviewing us. We see you rated the course 3-stars and are interested in learning what we can do to improve before your next round? Feel free to comment on this review or reach out to the team in the golf shop. We always appreciate the feedback. Thank you for playing Frog Hollow Golf Club, and we hope to see you again soon.

Disrespect

It is hard to understand why this course gets sparse play. Great layout and conditions. Some greens do have fungal spots, but most courses do. Very disappointed the Pub is not open, could be why golfers are not playing here.

As good as ever

Go play it. The course is in great condition now. Greens, fairways, etc. all very good.

Disappointing Business Practices

Price online did not represent cart cost and didn't make this clear. Also didn't give a cost for carts, so staff is free to charge whatever for carts when you get there. Also not enough carts for everyone to ride separately.

Next time will be going to a course with price transparency.

Commented on 05/27/2020

Hello, we appreciate you reviewing the course. Let us first start by apologizing for the experience you had when booking your round. Your feedback about confusion during the booking process is important to us. We always want to make sure our golfers are clear about their purchase before checking out. We ask that you contact the pro shop for clarity. Please have your confirmation handy. Thank you for playing Frog Hollow Golf Club. We hope to see you again soon.

Great layout

I really like this course and the layout. They did a great job refurbishing the greens and the were in good shape. It’s always a good round there and the staff are great.

Townsend, Delaware