The Rookery South

Year Built 2000

Carts Yes - included in green fee

Dress code Proper golf attire preferred.

Average

Course has a good layout however was not kept in good condition. Fairways were lacking grass - burnt or diseased and greens were viable speeds

A fun golf course

We had a great time playing this track. The course was in fine shape. This course has plenty of hazards but not a lot of trees, so putting yourself in poor positions can be overcome with good golf shots (unless you end up in a fairway bunker!!). We had a ranger on the course to keep the pace of play acceptable and timely on course refreshment service even on a Monday. I highly recommend this course and will play it again the next time I am in Delaware

Great shape!

Greens are rolling true and fast. Course is in overall great shape. Good value for the money!

One unkept muny

Ok, so I’m an avid golfer (50+ rounds per year), and have had the privelage to play in many parts of the US. I’ve. Played remarkable courses, and played not so remarkable courses. However, ive never felt so compelled to write and review until I teed it up at The Rookery Soith Course. I booked the tee time for 6:30 am which is the first tee time of the day while on vacation in nearby Bethany with my family.. We were running a touch behind so at 6:10 we attempted to call the course to let them know we would be there at 6:20 (realizing the latest you should be there in 15 minutes before your tee time). We let the phone ring over 12 times, thinking they are probably helping guests (nope but we will get to that). Upon arrival, we parked close to the clubhouse and cart staging area. We noticed two employees (presumably starter/cart guys) sitting in a couple of carts that would be used by golfers for the days round. We unloaded (obviously hurrying but no need) and when we finally (2 minutes total) started walking over one of the guys, then decided to drive a cart over asking if we would needed a cart. We accepted. We then asked where the clubhouse entrance was as we needed to check in and pay. He remarked that they weren’t there in a not so pleasant tone. It’s now 6:25 and we confirmed we had a tee time. He confirmed and we then asked what we should do? He replied, nobody goes out until they pay and are checked in. Well, ok then. We sat in our carts until 6:35 when the pro shop employee strolled in with a nice cold brew coffee. (Guess he had time to stop on the way). No apology was offered or even an effort to hustle. We finally got on the tee box (while some others were there waiting there turn) at 6:45.

Hit the first tee shot and realized why all the bad reviews. Holes 4,5 & 6 are silly and pointless golf holes (hole 6 had three trees in the fairway). On the back there was three par 3’s in a 4 hole stretch. The conditions were horrible. Many lost tee boxes, collars were non-existent with brown dead grass on many greens. If there was a collar it was riddled by crab grass as was the rough surrounding most greens.

We were the first group out and reached a threesome that was presumably only playing 9 on hole 13. They didn’t let us through (as a two some, we realize we don’t have any rights) though we thought common sense should of prevailed. We skipped a hole and finished the round in 2 hours 15 minutes (73/85 respectively). We received a blue 50/50 ticket that provided us a boxed lunch. Upon completion we went to the clubhouse where the the bartender (the nicest person there) shared that after our round we could get the boxed lunch but at 9:00 the chef/cook had yet to arrive. I shared we had actually finished and I ll just grab a soda and water and be in my way. She was oleasant and apologetic.

Overall the customer service was horrible, the sense of urgency missing, a budget for the superintendent non-existent and finally a “chef” who can’t manage to get to work.

I won’t be back and like the old adage states....if you’re happy you tell 5, if you’re unhappy you tell 500. Well, here’s to 500. I should of played Baywood as I normally do.

Went on a friends recommendation. Nice course, friendly staff. Plays well. Coursd was in nice shape.

It's average

While the course was in good condition at the time of our play, we found it to be rather boring. The views are mediocre and the course felt extremely short. Thankfully, there are no homes around the course, but there is RT 13 on the back 9. We did not use the resteraunt, but from what I saw on the menu, it was nothing spectacular. Pro shop was decent.

This is a private course turned public. That's about as special as it gets.

Rookery Rookie

Have driven by this course for 15+ years; played it for the first time today. Loved the course. Open layout, but still challenging with knolls, bunkers, and water. A little pricey for me for weekly play, but a nice every once in awhile treat.

Rookery South

Nice track, reasonably priced (especially for beach area course), nice people, closest choice to Lewes and easily booked one day in advance (summer weekday). Conditions good, greens rolled nicely. Just one weird hole with gynormous tree in the middle of the fairway, huh? Oh well, popped a wedge over it and continued on. A few scattered ponds to think about, but overall probably a course you'll put one of your better numbers on. DON'T play Rookery North, 30m farther away and nowhere near as nice.

Nice tract.

Nice little course. Friendly staff. Good condition. Pretty wide open. Would play again.

Place has gone to crap

Staff is unfriendly pro came at me super aggressive because I was spending money at the facility but that’s ok because ...never again . Also I’m gonna make sure no one ever plays this s$&t hole again . Don’t play this place it’s s&it .

Well maintained fairways and greens

We enjoyed our first round at this course and found the course to be in excellent condition. There are only a few holes where playing strategy is critical to avoid hazards. The pace of play was slowed due to following a large group playing best ball, but we still finished in 4.5 hrs. Normally this course should be played in 3.5 hrs or less. I plan on playing this course again soon.

Lewes, Delaware