View of the 13th hole from the Championship course at Independence Golf Club

Independence Golf Club in Midlothian is situated on the edge of the Piedmont region, routed through the area’s mature woodlands and natural wetlands. Tom Fazio designed the course; it's his only daily-fee course design in Virginia. The challenging layout features narrow fairways lined with high, thick rough areas. There are also numerous strategically placed bunkers lurking along the greens. It's a tough golf course but not overly punishing for high handicappers. The course strikes a nice balance between being challenging and playable, a reason that it often serves as host to many Richmond-area tournaments. The layout finishes with an uphill dogleg left that plays over water, with a good drive you can avoid the bunkers that are to both the left and right of the fairway. For beginners, Independence Golf Club also has a nine-hole short course for training as well as a learning center.

Independence Golf Club

Year Built 2001
Greens Champion Bermuda Grass
Architect Tom Fazio (2001) Lester George (2014)

Carts Yes - included in green fee

Credit Cards Accepted Yes
Dress code Golfers must wear collared shirt. Denim is not permitted.

Bar, Grill, Restaurant

Clubhouse, Banquet Facilities

Entertaining Clients 6

great course

greens were absolutely perfect. highly recommend.

Hadn't played there since June and the greens are immaculate.

Want a Rock Concert before & during your round?

I've encountered rednecks on a golf course playing loud music but never a redneck golf course playing blaringly LOUD rock music. It was so loud it was difficult to focus on the correcting my bad ball strikes. I took a work vacation day to play on a Tuesday, the majority of people at the course were seniors as would be expected. I doubt they enjoy being blasted with loud rock music but I could be wrong. I've heard this was a premier course (and cost) but not a redneck managed course which from what I experienced today, it is. Most upsetting was on 10th tee hearing an emotionally upsetting song that took me 4 holes to get out of my head. No pars on those 4 holes. The course was good, and some great staff; though others ignored their responsibilities of ensuring the customers were stocked with range balls as preferred to hit their own range balls. It was a very disappointing experience that I have no desire to repeat. Play (and pay premier greens fee) at your own risk.

Rock Concert ???

Labor Day weekend Round

Course conditions were as nice, (scale 1 to 10 an 8.5). Best course I've played so far in VA. Driving range is matted which is a negative. Fairways are opportunistic for the long driver (+285). However, missed fairways tend to land in heavy Bermuda rough creating flier lies as well as stunted approach shots. The course greens roll true, so reading the breaks are the difference between par and bogey/ All and all a good course to play, should you be able to find reduced green fees for less than a Benjamin.

Snooty and bad greens

A couple of guys who run the pro shop are rude and insulting, and I've even seen one of them maliciously concoct a false story to get a player into trouble. The managers are cheap and the course is overpriced. They overcharge for everything. The greens have so much grain that it's impossible to tell which way your putt is going to meander, and there really isn't any break even on a slope.

Even though over two inches of rain had fell the bight before, the Couse drained well to make the course very playable.
Condition of fairways and greens are in excellent shape.
Layout is very playable and staff very helpful and friendly.

What a gem!!

Such a nice course. Greens are super fast and roll true. Fairways are awesome as well. If you are visiting the area - Independence is a must play.

Over-rated!!

For the price I paid, which was more than most of the area courses, I was expecting perfect Fairways, perfect greens and a much more interesting layout! The truth is, this course has nothing on Royal New Kent or Magnolia Green , or even Viniterra! It didn't help that the starter allowed a foursome that had been hanging out in the clubhouse for over an hour to cut literally right in front of us as we were coming off #9!! I should have asked for a partial refund because of the frustration of it all, but oh well.

Virginia Advisor

Not as much fun when the greens are slower

I love playing here, mostly because the Bermuda greens often are rolling at 11 or higher. Not sure if it was because of the recent rains or the heat but they were noticeably slower when I played this time and not nearly as smooth because of it.

Still the course is in great shape and it drains well so the fact it had rained that morning, it was cart path only but not many soggy spots.

Pace of play was better because of the threatening forecast so my twosome played in about 3:30. Staff was very friendly and they've implemented a new check-in shack right at the curb go facilitate with COVID restrictions.

I got a Hot Deal off GolfNow so it was worth it but I'll wait till the greens get fast to come back and play.

Fun, but....

Puzzling why my GOLFNOW tee time for 11 am never made it's way to the tee sheet at the course. Luckily, the pro shop attendant only needed to see my GolfNow receipt showing I was paid in full and he worked with the starter to get me out and paired into an earlier group. How can I book a time thru GolfNow, pay for it, and the course has no record of it? Glad I called ahead before arriving, otherwise I wouldn't have known to print receipt for proof of payment.

Golf 2020

I’ve recently been playing golf a lot more due to the Pandemic. I’ve probably played 25 times since March13th In the Chesapeake/Va Beach area and the Richmond area and Independence Golf Course is by far the nicest place I have played. Worth EVERY penny to play that course! Loved it and will definitely be back to play Soon!!

Richmond, Virginia