Type Private/Resort
Scotch Hall Preserve Golf Course

Year Built 2009
Fairways Tifsport Bermuda Grass
Greens 50-50 blend of A1 & A4 Creeping Bentgrass
Architect Arnold Palmer (2009)

Carts Yes - included in green fee

Practice Hole Yes

Plays Long 15

Overall okay, but expected more

Drove a few hours to play this Arnold Palmer course. I was surprised at $65, that the course didn’t have a ranger. Staff wasn’t very attentive how players were starting the round off. We were behind 2 groups of 5, which was a huge inconvenience on the front 9. Our golf cart died, which they replaced within 10 minutes. We had to let the group behind us play through and they informed us that their cart died too. When our backup arrived the staff member said “ we have had a lot die today”. Some greens were rough. It was a brutal summer, so I understand to a degree. But these had huge dead spots. The bunkers were either hard as concrete or mud puddles. Overall the layout was fun and some very pretty holes. It very nice of the course to provide coolers full of bottled water. TLDR; it’s expensive for what you get. Slow play, Conditions of greens and bunkers is shoddy, nice fairways and gorgeous views.

Commented on 09/23/2019

Hello, ifuller91. Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. We are sorry to see that your overall experience was anything short of 5 stars, but we appreciate the compliments. We are working to improve the greens and bunkers. Our team hopes you'll give us another try in the near future.

Excellent Course

An excellent course that offers a great experience for all levels of players

Lots of fun

This house has lots of variations for an eastern NC course in terms of elevation. Arnold Palmer did a nice jot with different green contours and this course was just lots of fun to play.

Great course, bit of a diamond in the rough

Great layout, difficulty, and setting. Only negative I’d say are the bunkers not being actual sand. Half of them had deep standing water in them or were basically gravel that was eroding away towards the tops of the deep bunkers.

Great round

Course is in great condition, well designed and a hidden gem.

Excellent, nice course.

Great course, wide greens and very well kept. The sand traps could use a little work though especially when it rains, some retain water.

Greens in perfect shape as well as the fairways. Literally the only complaint I can conjure is the bunkers need more sand. Other than that beautiful course with beautiful views

Awesome place, great value!

I recently hosted a customer golf outing at Scotch Hall and the experience was great! Eight of us stayed at the beautiful and spacious Capehart cottage, which had wonderful ammentities. We grilled out each night behind the cottage near the fire pit where the peaceful serenity was one of low country's finest. The golf course was awesome! The fairways were striped up and the greens were rolling great! I understand they had some green issues last fall, but you wouldn't know it now. Some of the bunkers could use a little work from all of the recent rains, but overall the course conditions were great. The staff was extremely friendly and eager to please. This is a hidden gem, but I'm afraid, it won't stay hidden very long. I highly recommend this place.

Heaven on earth

By far best course within driving distance.....come down from va. Beach , don't mind driving extra for great golf....perfect conditions.......love every bit of it....actually tried and succeeded in hugging the golf course....laid down on several fairways tummy down extended arms. And hugged....worst part of the day was having to leave... Can't wait to go back ASAP....thanks

Stunning!

I've been wanting to play Scotch Hall for some time. I live in Raleigh, NC, and have friends in the Virginia Beach area and it seemed like a good halfway spot to meet. I wish we'd done it sooner, and we'll definitely be doing it again. Being February, the course is mostly brown but still in truly terrific shape. The greens were, well, green, fast and smooth. Hard to read and hard to putt but always fair. And even being mostly brown, the course is beautiful, with some truly stunning views of the Albemarle Sound. It was a chilly day, so there weren't a lot of people around -- pace of play was pretty much what we made it. There are a variety of ages and skill levels in our foursome and the various tees made the course enjoyable for everyone there. The staff in the clubhouse and grill were helpful and friendly and I really wish we'd built in time for a meal. For the shape the course is in and the layout and the amenities, the price is truly a bargain and the drive well worth it.
The one bit of weirdness is in the layout -- the course and facility is really spread out over a lot of ground. It's a good five minute cart ride from the clubhouse to the driving range. There's no real "turn" after nine holes, but after the 12th hole you can take something of a detour to grab a bite or drink at the clubhouse. And I swear it was a 10 minute ride from the 18th green back to the clubhouse.
We're all really looking forward to our next round -- hopefully when it's a little bit warmer!

Scotch Hall

The course was very wet today due to the excessive rain over the last several weeks. The course was in great shape and the greens rolled true.
This is a great course which does not get a lot of uses and s great course to practice/ play without worrying about disruption of other foursomes.

Top tier course!

This is really an amazing golf course. It's well worth the drive! Nearly flawless.

Great course and excellent price.

Enjoy the course layout - challenging and excellent views. Highly recommend playing this course, friendly staff, and good pace of play. We will be back!

Such a great layout.. needs more play to keep it up

I've been playing Scotch Hall a few times a year since 2014. I was surprised to see the condition of the course this time around. The greens had gotten away from them and the bunkers hadn't been worked in a good amount of time. Now keep in mind, this is one of the wettest falls we've had on the coast of NC in sometime, so i am hopeful that they will get it back to the pristine condition it once was. The track is still worth the drive, the views are top notch.

Fantastic Track

Scotch Hall is one of the best courses in the state for a reason. The value for the money is outstanding, and being able to secure a Hot Deal for a tee time ensures golfers get an insane deal, well worth the two hour drive from Raleigh.

If you're playing from the tips, the course will require you to use every club in your bag. Most holes are exposed to the elements, so club selection is a premium as well as the ability to flight the ball. It's not overly long for a par 72, although the wind on the back nine - especially in the afternoon - can lengthen many holes substantially. All but one of the par 5s are reachable, depending on the wind of course. The greens are smaller compared to your average course, which requires accuracy and course management when holes are in difficult positions. Fairways are generous for some holes but you will need to work the ball both ways. There are some tee shots that are classic risk-reward, so if you're on your game, take advantage.

Most of the bunkers are in awful shape, but there was a small hurricane that came through a couple weeks ago, so those should be fixed by next year. My only serious complaint, aside from allowing a 5some to go out ahead of a twosome, is the condition of the greens. To be fair, last winter wasn't a good one for Bermuda or bent, and some courses are in worse shape or had to replace their greens entirely. It's still warm enough out that bent needs to be kept longer to ensure it doesn't perish. That being said, the greens were about the same speed as your average muni, which is unacceptable for course of this caliber. True, the last time I played this course was when I worked for a pro tour and they were running around a 12, so perhaps my expectations were artificially inflated. Still, disappointing to say the least. There was one temporary green and the clubhouse failed to notify us.

Overall, the value for the money is excellent. The clubhouse has a solid food and beer selection. The GPS screen on the golf carts is a nice feature. This course, when the greens are in good condition, is a web.com-quality course. If the housing bubble hadn't popped and the course wasn't situated in the middle of BFE, this course would be hosting events. Looking forward to coming back.

Greensboro are Bad

The is an amazing course. Although this time the greens are in terrible shape. 3 greens are about gone with 1 temporary green. Fairways were in Great shape . The pace of play was 4.5 hrs. Made for a long slow day. Need to wait a few months to play it again. Hopefully they can save the greens

Response from on 10/09/2018:
Hello, thank you for taking the time to review our course, Scotch Hall Preserve, in the Merry Hill area. We are sorry to see that you may have had a poor customer experience with us and that the course may not have been in the best shape when you played. Any additional feedback is greatly appreciated so that we can improve your experience with us in the future. Thank you for choosing to golf with us and we hope to see you again soon.
Edenton, North Carolina