Scotch Hall Preserve

Green (W) 72 6073 yards 77.4 145
Burgundy 72 5330 yards 67.4 124
Burgundy (W) 72 5330 yards 73.1 130
Scorecard for InnsBrook
Palmer M: 77.1/146 414 420 205 390 612 428 172 552 451 3644 443 523 331 404 233 462 445 207 570 3618 7262
Silver M: 75.3/142 402 407 195 381 594 402 161 538 436 3516 425 506 321 391 206 445 421 189 554 3458 6974
Cherry Hills M: 73.8/138 402 407 182 356 561 381 146 494 436 3365 425 506 296 358 175 445 361 189 554 3309 6674
Blue M: 72.7/135 377 378 182 356 561 381 146 494 369 3244 393 469 296 358 175 415 361 167 491 3125 6369
Green M: 70.9/132 W: 77.4/145 364 358 152 332 561 365 146 480 358 3116 375 452 289 343 175 355 361 144 463 2957 6073
Birkdale M: 69.1/128 W: 75.3/137 364 327 139 332 464 365 124 480 358 2953 330 403 289 305 175 339 332 144 425 2742 5695
White M: 67.4/124 W: 73.1/130 321 327 139 294 464 315 124 434 306 2724 330 403 266 305 108 339 332 98 425 2606 5330
Troon M: 66.1/120 W: 71.3/126 321 273 139 294 406 315 124 434 300 2606 239 403 266 305 108 339 249 98 425 2432 5038
Yellow M: 63.1/114 W: 67.2/118 222 273 92 290 406 219 124 351 300 2277 239 397 190 265 108 250 249 95 357 2150 4427

Year Built 2009
Fairways Tifsport Bermuda Grass
Greens 50-50 blend of A1 & A4 Creeping Bentgrass
Architect Arnold Palmer (2009)

Carts Yes - included in green fee

Practice Hole Yes

Plays Long 15

Fantastic Track

Scotch Hall is one of the best courses in the state for a reason. The value for the money is outstanding, and being able to secure a Hot Deal for a tee time ensures golfers get an insane deal, well worth the two hour drive from Raleigh.

If you're playing from the tips, the course will require you to use every club in your bag. Most holes are exposed to the elements, so club selection is a premium as well as the ability to flight the ball. It's not overly long for a par 72, although the wind on the back nine - especially in the afternoon - can lengthen many holes substantially. All but one of the par 5s are reachable, depending on the wind of course. The greens are smaller compared to your average course, which requires accuracy and course management when holes are in difficult positions. Fairways are generous for some holes but you will need to work the ball both ways. There are some tee shots that are classic risk-reward, so if you're on your game, take advantage.

Most of the bunkers are in awful shape, but there was a small hurricane that came through a couple weeks ago, so those should be fixed by next year. My only serious complaint, aside from allowing a 5some to go out ahead of a twosome, is the condition of the greens. To be fair, last winter wasn't a good one for Bermuda or bent, and some courses are in worse shape or had to replace their greens entirely. It's still warm enough out that bent needs to be kept longer to ensure it doesn't perish. That being said, the greens were about the same speed as your average muni, which is unacceptable for course of this caliber. True, the last time I played this course was when I worked for a pro tour and they were running around a 12, so perhaps my expectations were artificially inflated. Still, disappointing to say the least. There was one temporary green and the clubhouse failed to notify us.

Overall, the value for the money is excellent. The clubhouse has a solid food and beer selection. The GPS screen on the golf carts is a nice feature. This course, when the greens are in good condition, is a web.com-quality course. If the housing bubble hadn't popped and the course wasn't situated in the middle of BFE, this course would be hosting events. Looking forward to coming back.

Greensboro are Bad

The is an amazing course. Although this time the greens are in terrible shape. 3 greens are about gone with 1 temporary green. Fairways were in Great shape . The pace of play was 4.5 hrs. Made for a long slow day. Need to wait a few months to play it again. Hopefully they can save the greens

Response from Scotch Hall Preserve on 10/09/2018:
Hello, thank you for taking the time to review our course, Scotch Hall Preserve, in the Merry Hill area. We are sorry to see that you may have had a poor customer experience with us and that the course may not have been in the best shape when you played. Any additional feedback is greatly appreciated so that we can improve your experience with us in the future. Thank you for choosing to golf with us and we hope to see you again soon.

I love this course but what is happening to the greens?? The last time I played here was last December and they were in pretty good shape. This time around they maybe had 1 or 2 greens that actually had grass on the whole surface. Most of them had mostly sand and dirt with patches of grass. Bunkers were in bad shape also. If this course could get back in shape it would probably be one of my favorite places to play. Other than the greens and bunkers it is a beautiful course and has a great layout.

Great course to play but what is happening to the greens?? They weren't nearly this bad last fall when I played here. Such a beautiful course to let it get like that. Maybe 1 or 2 greens that had grass on the whole surface. Most greens were mostly sand and dirt with patches of grass. If they can take care of the place this would be, by far, my favorite course to play. Other than the greens and some sand traps that are in bad shape it is a really good course with the layout and challenging holes.

Great Gem on the Sound

Overall, the course was in good condition based on the weather that hit the area a couple weeks before. However, nearly all of the greens showed severe signs of stress! Many areas with no grass which made pin placement difficult on the greens. I have no doubt that the club has a plan to restore the greens to the condition we are use to seeing there. Best of luck and I’ll be back!!

Great Design but...

I loved the layout of the course. Generous fairways, not overly complex greens, and nice rough. The tee boxes, fairways, and rough were in great shape. For the most part, the pace of play was good. We had two groups of 3 and caught up to a foursome at the turn that had just finished up a three hour front 9. We know this because as we caught them, we let a twosome of locals pass through that had already played through them once. So instead of waiting on every shot, we played all 6 together and kept pace with them. Since we were there for the weekend and had unlimited plays, this wasn't a big deal for us.

Now for the bad. Several greens were completely gone. I mean they were hit it and hope it stays close to the line you intended. Not really sure how they lost them as most of the greens were good but I guess the weather had something to do with it.

Also, the bunkers need a lot of work. Some had sand and some didn't. Some were raked and some weren't. As there are a lot of bunkers on this course, it makes it difficult to play when they're so hit or miss.

This was our second year visiting Scotch Hall and staying in one of the villas. I'm not sure if we'll return next year as I've seen a significant deterioration from last year to this and I feel it's a trend. For a weekend getaway with the guys, Scotch Hall is a bargain. But there's a limit to my penny pinching.

Oh and if you go to the bar after you play, don't let the bar manager know anyone in your group had drinks on the course. She's one of the most unfriendly people I've ever met. She will cut your whole group off. Think soup knotsy from Seinfeld.

Response from Scotch Hall Preserve on 09/10/2018:
Hello, thank you for sharing your review, We truly appreciate both your positive and constructive feedback and will be sure to pass it along to our team. We’re thrilled to hear that you enjoyed our layout at Scotch Hall Preserve and also appreciate your input on our maintenance. We hope to welcome you back for an enjoyable experience on the course in the near future.

many pros but some cons

First time playing the course. Loved the layout, pace of play was great as we rarely saw another person. Free range balls, bottled water on course, carts with tees and GPS were all positives. On-course restrooms were clean. Pro shop guy was very friendly.

Okay, now the cons. While the fairways were in nice shape, some of the greens were spotty at best and 4 greens were totally unputtable. The bunkers are all beyond terrible as they are not even trying to fix them. The GPS in our cart did not work and the scorecard had no illustrations of the course. No idea what each hole featured.

I realize they have suffered from some tough weather. In speaking with the proshop the bunkers are at a standstill until they determine the proper course to repair them. This could be a fantastic place to play but I cannot recommend it to anyone with their current conditions/problems.

Time of my life

Golf here is over too quick.....enjoying myself too much..want to stay all day....can't wait to go back again....

Course Condition

The layout of this course is great. Generous fairways, some great views and lots of different hole designs. That's all the positives. I do appreciate the toll the weather took on many courses in the area and the south in general....however 6 greens still in marginal to bad condition. Not a single playable trap on the course. At least 40% with standing water in the trap. None had been conditioned or raked. Yes you can say the course cant control the weather.... however they do control their pricing and they do control notification of course conditions. No one including the general manager seemed interested in the feedback on the course. Perhaps a great tract at other times, but not right now.

Response from Scotch Hall Preserve on 08/22/2018:
Thank you for coming out to Scotch Hall Preserve and for taking the time to share your feedback with us. We are sorry to hear about your disappointment with the conditions, but we understand your frustration. We will keep working to have the course in shape, and we hope you will be able to see some improvement the next time you visit us.

Worth the drive from RDU. LOVE the course.

I live in Durham. Headed out to OBX yesterday and Decided to stop in between to play golf. Played Scotch Hall before Last September. Remember it very well and being in great shape. Every hole is different; very beautiful course on the Albemarle Sound. Got to use every club in the bag which I like. Will make this 2.5 hour drive on a weekend to play again.

Great Place

Why the course is real good the service and friendliness of the staff was outstanding (especially

Savanna and Sommer (sp)). They went above and beyond to ensure my cell phone (left in the cart) was returned at no cost to me. These two are a big reason that I will return to the course in the near future and thank them personally if possible.

asst superintendent unprofessional behavior

Golf course is great but interaction with rude and unprofessional asst superintendent ruined a great golf day.

Excellent!

Living in Chesapeake, it takes a good hour and a half to make the journey to Scotch Hall. I can promise you it is worth the drive! Scotch Hall is first class with great amenities. The staff is extremely welcoming, restaurant is great and clean, and the golf course is awesome! Course was in great shape with only a few bad spots that do not effect your round whatsoever. If you are on the fence being skeptical about driving so long for your round, don't be. It is definitely worth it as it is better than anything else in the VB area. I cant wait to return!

Awesome track tucked away on the sound. A fe holes had some fairway issues but overall the ball sat up like it was on a tee. The layout was extremely fair but still challenging. Greens were perfect speed and rolled true. It was extremely windy but that just adds to the links feel. Overall it was a top 3 track for me.

Great course and resort!

Course conditions were impeccable, layout challenging but not too difficult, breathtaking views and pace of play outstanding! All staff was very pleasant and accomdating. Stayed in an on course Villa, which far exceeded my expectations! This is a first class resort and well worth the trip!

Okiedog

Scotch Hall is purely the best value on the East Coast. You are completely missing a jewel if you haven't made it over to play Scotch Hall

Great Golf Course

Avery difficult and challenging course. Great condition and layout. Course is very demanding of the tree. Awesome greens. Highly recommended. I will be back!!!

Edenton, North Carolina