White Clay Creek Country Club at Delaware Park

• 777 Delaware Park Blvd, Wilmington, Delaware 19804, New Castle County
  • www.whiteclaycreekcountryclub.com
Write Review

Year built: 2005
Architect(s): Arthur Hills (2005), Steve Forrest & Associates (2005)
Type: Public

Practice bunker: Yes
Practice hole: Yes
Indoor practice facilities: Yes
Simulator: Yes

Dress code: Jeans and sweats of any type will not be permitted.

Green (W) 72 5297 yards 71.1 127

White Clay Creek Country Club at Delaware Park is a challenging but playable layout that is well known amongst locals. At just over 7,000 yards, the golf course offers a fair amount of challenges. Water hazards come into play on most holes, demanding several difficult forced carries. There are also some spots on the course that can be quite narrow. The terrain is mostly flat but the layout provides enough diversity to appeal to both low and high handicappers. White Clay Creek has a strong reputation not only for the golf course but also for its various amenities, which give it the feel of a private club. Staff assists you with getting your clubs to and from your car and use of the driving range and chipping green are included in the reasonable fee.

Location is worth the drive convenient to the city near local attractions   Great for advanced golfers a weekend splurge wildlife/ scenic views   Challenges include forced carries water hazards bunkers   Great for drinks dinner patio dining

"Too early"

Chris7329157's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/14/2018

This course is fabulous, but it was undergoing a little work and the greens were sliced and sanded recently, not making for a great experience - will return later in the season for some great golf !

tetower's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/13/2018

"Penal but fair"

JerzeeGolfer's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/13/2018
First time playing Used cart Windy weather

Public courses rarely play like private tracks but White Clay exceeded my expectations. Greens were sandy from aeration (did not know before round) but beyond that, the course plays pretty tough. A fair amount of even lies, difficult to judge shots, blind/distorted shots into the green, make ball placement a premium in order to be in position to score. Tee boxes were in good condition for this time of year, post-winter. I give the crew an A+ rating. Course is UNWALKABLE!!!

Response from White Clay Creek Country Club at Delaware Park on 04/15/2018:

Hello. Sounds like overall, you had a pretty good round. We're very happy to hear that. Thanks so much for taking the time to write your review. We are constantly looking to improve, so your feedback is welcomed. Thank you for choosing to golf with us here at White Clay Creek Country Club at Delaware Park. We hope to see you again soon!

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/08/2018

"A Gem in Delaware"

Ajfjr226's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/06/2018

Had an afternoon tee time and was greeted in lot by Zach who took our bags to the practice green. Pete, our starter and course attendant gave us the option to get out a little early. We hit 10 practice shots (range is free) and proceeded to tee off after Pete offered course conditions and path rules, adding, if we need ANYTHING call or simply use gps on cart to rind pro shop.

Course was recently aerated, but still rolled nicely and somewhat quick for amount of topdressing sand on them. Layout is magnificent offering a wide range of shots throughout our round. The wind that day was the winner blowing up to 25 mph making for an interesting time on course management.

I would defintely return to this gem and tell anyone who listens to me this is a must play.

Response from White Clay Creek Country Club at Delaware Park on 04/15/2018:

Thanks for the amazing review and for choosing White Clay Creek Country Club at Delaware Park! We hope to see you again soon!

"excellent!"

Brothermike's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/05/2018

First time that we played it and It will not be the last time either. Pretty special course that has a resort feel to it without the resort price. Don't even think about walking as the course seems to take up half of Delawares land mast. Thank goodness for good signage and smooth as silk cart paths. If you can get any kind of deal I believe this is a must play course.

Response from White Clay Creek Country Club on 03/10/2018:

Hi, Mike. We are glad to hear you had a memorable and enjoyable experience at the course. Our team works hard to create an environment that is seamless on and off the track. We hope to see you again soon!

"Good quality golf course with a nice layout."

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 12/22/2017

This golf course can be challenging. Depending on the tees you play it can play very long but still modest from the whites. There are plenty of hazards that you can find, but the fairways are pretty generous on most holes. The greens are a good size and can play very fast in the summer, but still roll really well in the winter. I recently played a winter round and was surprised in how nice the course condition was. This course can be pretty expensive to play, but on a hot deal it's 100 percent worth it. Range balls, practice area, putting greens allow for a great warmup to the round. Each golf cart has a gps and course layout. The staff is very accommodating and the clubhouse is really nice. I would recommend this course to anyone, it's a good experience all the way through.

Response from @WhiteClayCCC on 12/26/2017:

Thanks for the kind words and positive feedback. Our team works hard year round to make sure we are providing the most seamless experience on and off the course. We will use your positive comments to inform those responsible for the course that their hard work is not going unnoticed. Thanks for playing White Clay Creek Country Club

"Beautiful Course on White Clay Creek"

mhellerde's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 12/04/2017

This is a beautiful course that meanders along the White Clay Creek. Course was in great condition considering how late in the season. Don’t particularly like the layout (ie. #9 does not turn by the club house), but still a great challenging course. Will definitely look for additional deals on Golf Now.

Response from @WhiteClayCCC on 12/07/2017:

Thank you for reviewing the course. We appreciate the 4-stars and are interested in learning what we can do to earn 5-stars next time. We are glad to hear you found the course to be an enjoyable challenge. Thank you for playing White Clay Creek Country Club.

"Not quite up to usual WCC standards"

jaimefeldscher's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/28/2017

Usually the whole WCC experience is excellent but this last round was a little subpar. The greens were slow and shaggy, there was no beverage cart and the bar was closed, our golf cart died on the 15th hole and we had to call for rescue and when the round ended there was no one there to clean our clubs or to drive them back up to the parking lot and we had to lug them up the hill ourselves.

Response from @WhiteClayCCC on 12/07/2017:

Hello, Jamie. Thanks for taking the time to review us. This is the first we are hearing poor feedback about the greens. We have received great feedback leading up to your review and will work to see how we can use it to make updates. Now that it is December, we are not mowing as often. Our maintenance team is done but they have prepared the course for the off-season. The team that handles greeting and cleaning clubs has also retired for the off-season. This was explained to you during your visit that day. Since we are beginning to slow down as many other courses in the area, beverage carts are not running. We communicated this to you before your round and recommended you purchase a drink in the golf shop before your game. The issue with your cart was addressed immediately and we sincerely apologize. Carts rarely run out of battery during a game. We hope you can give us a second chance this season or return next year to see the course once we are in season again. Thanks for playing White Clay Creek Country Club.

"This course always a treat"

summersem's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/17/2017

Great layout. Water affects most holes, very scenic, elevation changes. Good condition for late in the year.

Response from White Clay Creek Country Club on 10/24/2017:

Thank you for leaving a review and rating us 5-stars. We will inform the entire team, so they know their hard work is paying off.

"It’s been better"

andrewcipolla's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/14/2017

The course is just not in the shape I am use too. Greens left a lot to be desired. A lot of foot prints and they had a lot more bad spots then I have ever seen at WCCCC. The cost to play allows me to only play once or twice a year, and I look forward to playing when I do. I was just disappointed this time. Still a good track, just not in the condition I am use to when I play there.

Response from White Clay Creek Country Club on 10/17/2017:

Hello, Andrew. We appreciate you taking the time to review the course and rate us. We are going to pass on your feedback to the teams in charge so they can work to make changes. Thanks for visiting White Clay Creek Country Club, we hope to see you again in the future.

"Coarse was in good shape except"

DRock1357's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/28/2017

The course was in good shape except for the greens… They seemed a little beat up and overplayed...

I played from the blended tees based on my handicap and skill level... Currently a 16 handicap... This forced me to keep my driver in the bag the majority of the day...

Response from White Clay Creek Country Club on 10/02/2017:

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/26/2017

Response from White Clay Creek Country Club on 10/02/2017:

"Ranger was ridiculous..."

jdotgolfer's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/05/2017
Previously played Used cart Hot weather

I've played White Clay several times in the past. It's a very challenging layout, so I look forward to playing the course to test myself. I'm coming of an 82 that I shot from the tips last Thursday at Reading Country Club....my low round of the year, so I was looking forward to a good day on the course today.

From the completion of hole #2....I sensed we were being monitored closely by the ranger. Not sure why...but definitely sensed a presence. The ranger sat and watched us finish hole #6 from a spot near the next hole. As we rode up to the tee box for hole #7, he asked us to pick up our pace. Now mind you....my friend and I booked this round on golfnow. We were paired with two senior gentlemen playing from the forward and white tees. Not once did the ranger stop to ask them to pick up their play....particularly after he watched us on the previous hole where these gentlemen "chunked" their balls into bunkers well short of the green. Then flew the green when they tried to recover. My buddy parred the hole and I missed my 6 foot par putt to card a bogey. On hole #7....a 208 yard par 3....my buddy and I both hit our tee shots onto the green....I parred it and he bogeyed it with a 3 putt. We see the ranger again as we ride up to hit our 3rd shots near the green of the par 5 hole #8.

On hole #11....the ranger asked us to pick up our pace of play again. He said we were 29 minutes behind our playing time. Sat and watched us tee off on #12. As we get to the tee box for hole #13....we had to wait for the group in front of us to clear. And from holes 13 through 18....we waited on every tee box as the group in front of us was playing slow.

Were we really that far behind that a ranger needed to ask us twice in just over 9 holes to pick up our pace? How is that even possible if we caught up to the group in front of us just a few holes later?

After completing #18, I asked the group in front of us if the ranger had asked them to pick up their pace today. They said "No....he never once asked them." So while he's basically harassing our group to play faster....he never once asked the group in front of us to pick up their pace of play.

So I'm thinking the group behind us must have complained or something. I confronted (politely I might add) course management after our round to see why we were spoken to so much in such a short period of time. Did the group behind us complain? I learned they had not said a word. They had not complained. The ranger was simply looking at playing times and decided we were not playing fast enough, so he asked us to pick up our play.

When I asked the course management why he hadn't spoken to the group in front of us about their pace of play.....the answer I got was....."They play here all the time." So I suppose that excuses their pace of play, but not ours? The ranger confessed to me after I spoke to him directly that we were only 18 minutes behind at a later point. We finished our round in about 4 hours 30 minutes or so.....with the waiting we had from #13 on.

Sure....the course apologized for our inconvenience and the sense that we felt monitored to the point where it interfered mentally with a few of us. For our inconvenience, I was given a "Foursome plays for the price of a Threesome" coupon. I was the only player angry enough to confront management. So at the course rack rate....even with just 3 guys paying, that price is still higher than golfnow's price. And it puts me in the position of rounding up 3 guys to play with me. Each of us had booked individually on golfnow.

I was so angry about our treatment out there today....I had to write a review. First time review of any course for me. I bought a White Clay Creek golf towel and winter hat at the course last year....I liked the course that much, I wanted to own a logoed item and wear my hat when I played in the colder months. After today, I'm putting both items in the trash and I'll probably never play that course again.

Sometimes, it's not what people do overtly that gets under your skin. It's the subtle ways people can make your experience less than enjoyable for reasons that will never be verbalized. When you step back and look at the situation from a far....it's the only reasonable conclusion. Live n learn.

Hope this review helps anyone considering a round at White Clay.

Response from White Clay Creek Country Club on 09/08/2017:

Hi, Jamie. Let us first start by apologizing for the poor experience you had during your visit. This is by no means the experience we strive to provide when golfers interact with our staff. As our staff and you have explained in this review, our Rangers were just working to ensure the pace of play was fluid. While you were not dangerously behind during your round, you were playing slow by the standard our teams work to enforce. We politely asked your group to speed up. This had nothing to do with you booking on GolfNow as you have alluded to. We partner with GolfNow because we believe in offering our golfers the best opportunities in golf, whether that be with our website or our partner’s. We strive to treat every guest the same so rest assured, this had nothing to do with your experience. We also want to draw attention to the incredible experience you had in the past and atmosphere we work so hard to provide to you on the course. While your more recent visit was not your favorite, we hope you won't write us off completely due to one long round. We are going to escalate your feedback to our team so we can make improvements before your next game. We will continue to work towards an excellent experience by using your comment for guidance. Thank you for playing White Clay Creek Country Club, we hope to see you again soon.

"Great course!"

dano266's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/03/2017

Pros: Reasonable priced, challenging course. Pace of play was a little slow, but nothing to get upset about.

Cons: most of the tee boxes, were atrocious. Very little grass to actually tee off from. A couple of the greens had spots much like the tee boxes.

The woman who "greeted" us at the pro shop was all business. No chit chat..., just took our money and told us to head out to the tee when ready. There was no one else in the pro shop, so it's not like she was busy. For the price, it's a small thing to ask to feel welcome when coming out to play

Response from White Clay Creek Country Club on 09/06/2017:

Hello, Dan. Let us first say that we are so glad to hear you enjoyed the price, course layout and general pace of play. These are all things we work hard to create a seamless experience with so you can focus on enjoying yourself and let us do the rest. We also want to thank you for your honest and constructive criticism of the course. As you can tell from past reviews, not all feedback is created equal. Your comments about our tee boxes and golf shop staff are presented in a way we can incorporate them into actual change. We are going to escalate your review to our team in charge and do everything we can to improve before your next game. Thank you for visiting and playing at White Clay Creek Country Club. We hope to see you again soon!

"Nice course but....."

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/31/2017

WCCGC is a very nicely kept course. Lots of benefits:

unlimited range balls, chipping area, nice putting practice green, electric golf carts, cement cart paths,

GPS range finder on golf carts, and lots of drinking water coolers on the course. This adds up to a lot but why is this course always TOO Expensive to play without a Deal Time ? Also, good knowledge of the course a plus because some holes you have to play short of the hazards in front of you. Overall similar to Rock Manor in price and course design but overpriced for our group compared to Back Creek, Inniscrone, and Moccasin Run.

Response from White Clay Creek Country Club on 09/05/2017:

Hello, Brian. Thank you for much for the spectacular review. Let us first say that we are so glad to hear you enjoyed the range, chipping area, carts, paths, and GPS. These are all things we work hard to create a seamless experience with so you can focus on enjoying yourself and let us do the rest. They have been put in place through golfer feedback in reviews just like yours. We also want to thank you for your honest and constructive criticism of the course and price. As you can tell from past reviews, not all feedback is created equal. Your comments about our price are presented in a way we can incorporate them into actual change. We are going to escalate your review to our team in charge and do everything we can to improve before your next game. Thank you for visiting and playing at White Clay Creek Country Club. We hope to see you again soon!

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/28/2017

Response from White Clay Creek Country Club on 09/05/2017:

Hello, Darren. We appreciate you taking the time to review the course and rate us. 4-stars is great, and we will let the team know their hard work is paying off. We always appreciate the feedback. Thank you for playing White Clay Creek Country Club.

"A little ragged"

bertelge's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/26/2017

Having high expectations of the usually exemplary course conditions at WCCCC, I was disappointed by the somewhat poor condition of many of the tee boxes and greens. I think they need to give the course a rest for a few weeks.

Response from White Clay Creek Country Club on 09/06/2017:

Hello, Gerald. We appreciate you leaving a review and rating us 4-stars. We will inform the entire team, so they know their hard work is paying off. Your feedback about the conditions of the greens and tee boxes will be escalated to the teams in charge. Thanks for playing White Clay Creek Country Club

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/20/2017

Response from White Clay Creek Country Club on 08/28/2017:

"Love this place."

Brad6810820's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/17/2017

Absolutely fantastic course. One of my favorites to be sure. They were aerating the greens - the reason I had to rate a lower score - but the rest of the course was great. Pace of play was better than usual - probably because of the greens kept a bigger crowd away. I didn't see a cart girl which was unusual, but the ice cold water stations all over the course works great for me. I play often at this course and it never disappoints.

Response from White Clay Creek Country Club on 09/06/2017:

Hi Bradley, thank you for taking the time to review our course. We are glad you found everything to be great during your last round. Your feedback about the pace of play and off-course amenities is very valuable to use. We are going to escalate it to our team. Thank you for playing White Clay Creek Country Club. We look forward to seeing you again.