Type Municipal
Style Executive
El Cariso Golf Course

Year Built 1977
Architect Robert Muir Graves (1977)

I've played all over California and this course is a hidden gem!!!
Saturday play...no wait, no slow play, wide open course.

What a great experience!!!

Nice executive course

This is a nice executive course. It offers par 3 and par 4 holes. The layout is interesting and there are sand traps, water features, doglegs, and some elevation changes. Greens are in good shape. It's a good place to work on your short game.

Changes with the course!

Been playing here for years and not sure what new management came through...but the course was great! Blue tees were actually placed at the back of the tee box where they should be. The greens were rolling very smooth with no dead/dry spots. And the pace of play was very quick (it was a very hot day with less people out on the course). But overall one of my best rounds/experience with El Cariso in the past 5-10 years.

Good Executive Course

I hadn't played in three months, and just wanted to knock off some rust. For late summer, I was pleasantly surprised by the condition of the course. The greens were in good shape, and held approach shots well.

This is an executive course, but I ended up using every club in my bag. If you play the blue tees, many of the par 3s are 180+ yards.

First time @ El Cariso

Had a great time , & met a great dude. I’ll be back!!

Great Staff!!!

I havent played at El Cariso in years and honestly had no plans on returning. My brother booked a tee time this past weekend and we had a great time. For starters, there was a tournament that was going on right before our tee time so I was expecting a long round and a super late tee off. That was not the case at all, the front desk staffer was great in getting everyone out quickly and keeping everything in order. That really made the start to the round pleasant. Once we got out, everything moved pretty well and the course was kept up nicely, the beverage cart girl made multiple trips by us on both the front and back nine. The greens were rolling nice and it was a nice fun round of golf. I will certainly put El Cariso back on my list of fun courses to visit for a quick round of weekend golf.

Restaurant staff gets an A+ pro shop staff gets a C minus, they need to be a little more in tune with people that they do not know and stop showing favoritism to people that come to the course more often, my friend and I felt that we were pushed in line due to the fact of favoritism which should not be done on a public course

Needs work

Course was in OK shape, some of the greens had been punched again. Many fairways sparse on grass, but then again it is a public course.

Saturday challenge

Wind, water hazards, Narrow fairways with drop off on one side made this course a fun challenge.

An average, yet pleasant outing

I like this course because of its low par and low slope, which means my wife can actually drive the greens on some of the par 4s. She's not fond of the 500+ par 5s on the courses I prefer to play, but this is a great course where we can both have fun and no one gets frustrated. The greens are pretty unpredictable this winter (slow and you really have to under-read the breaks), but it's just a steady, low-key outing time and again.

Difficulty Extremely Easy
Commented on 03/18/2019

Hello craigmantra, thank you for taking the time to review our course, El Cariso and for the 3 stars. We hope that you enjoyed playing our golf course and that you will continue to see improvements in the course conditions the next time you are with us. It looks like you and your wife had a smooth round, friendly experience and ultimately great time with us, so we are glad to see that. Thank you for recommending our golf course, we look forward to seeing you again soon.

Goodfor a public course

Fun day, putting surfaces in good condition. Majority of the sand bunkers were raked. That is good for a public course

Minor changes

I honestly love this course. It’s short and challenging and the greens are in great shape. I have been playing there since I was 12 and now I’m 23. The only three things I would say that isn’t great is 1. The bunkers are rock hard and need to get some new sand and 2. The snack shop and all that has been shut down. It takes way too long to get some food from the upstairs bar/restaurant and 3. Range balls are getting a bit old. Time for new ones. I would honestly rate this course a 8/10.

Good course

Only bad thing is the lack of ANY markers. No hole markers, no yard markers nothing. Basically had to use a GPS distance app to figure out if I was at the right hole most of the time.

Overall playing was great. It was a beautiful day and couldn’t ask for more. I had a 4:38 tee time and showed up at the club house about 4:25. When I should up there was 3groups in front of me ready to pay. The man at the register was already been a bit rude to the other people ahead of me. Then he asked the room if anyone had a reservation which I then said “I do” and he said your late, with a very big attitude. I told him my tee time is at 4:38 so I don’t know how I’m late. So I payed the man just trying to get out of his way that way I could go enjoy my round. Now it’s about 4:30 ish still not my tee time and he puts two groups ahead of me one which was a dad and two kids around the age of 10 and 12 and a three sum . So I decided to play the back 9to not get held back. Now everywhere i have played this is a norm and the guys at the register are reasonable and let you play the back 9. So I did once I got back to the first tee box the guy comes out giving me the hardest time about playing the back 9 and I’m like there was 2 groups in front of me and if I would have waited I would have started playing well past my 4:38 tee time. Overall playing was great but honestly that guy need to be told something from management and if he is a manager then they are going to lose a lot of customers.

Fun course

Great little course .. 3 hours and your done .. fantastic greens for a public course.

Good greens

Fun golf course. Not particularly challenging, but fun to play. People here are really nice, greens we're in really good shape. Pace of play was good. A good value.

Pacoima, California