Water Valley Golf and Country Club

Pull-carts: No
Caddies: No
GPS: No

Singles allowed: No
Dress code: Proper golf attire.
Credit cards accepted: MasterCard‎‎, Visa‎‎, Interac Welcomed

Located less than a half hour north of Cochrane, Water Valley Golf & Country Club, as its name implies, is nestled in a scenic valley tucked away among scenic hills. The woodland layout features stands of poplar and spruce trees as well as lush and abundant vegetation along the fairways, which gives them a completely secluded feel. The golf course originally opened in 1988 with only nine holes but expanded to a full 18-holes just a few years later in 1994. There have been several renovations to Water Valley Golf & C.C. since it first opened including widening of the fairways and completely rebuilt greens on three of the holes on the back nine. The new nine forms the front and wraps around the original nine holes. It has more sand and water than the original, which means you'll catch a break on the back nine.

"Stay away!"

Keyy's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/08/2017

Course ok, beautiful setting but horrible golfing experience.

Unless you have a low handicap and golf at the speed of sound, do not golf here. The marshalling of the course is comical. Also it's out in the boonies so long drive and not great food and service experience.

Why waste your money and who wants to be harassed..... and I am not kidding!....harassed but the Marshall when you play according to their rules. Really bad golfing experience.

"Ok course....horrible customer service."

FatMatt's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/28/2017

My brother and I have been playing Water Valley consistently this summer and last. We recently wrapped up our 5th or 6th outing of the year here and unfortunately will not be returning again strictly due to the lack of respect and customer service. The course itself is in good shape and isn't a bad bang for your buck. Having said that ... there are lots of courses in the Calgary area that are comparable and offer 10x better customer service. We set out to play 18 at 2pm and after paying for and completing our first round we still had the itch to keep playing. We checked back in again with the pro shop and paid for another 9 teeing off around 6 again. After playing the front 9 again we carried through and played a few holes on the back before finally becoming tired and calling it a night shorty before 8. Immediately upon return of pulling up to the clubhouse we where greeted outside by a staff member who couldn't wait to police us and question us. I love being talked to like I'm a 7 year old after paying for 27 rounds. We made the horrendous mistake of playing a few holes at twilight on the back 9 again en route back in. I would have had no problem paying for the extra few holes we played. After paying for 27 , eating lunch there and spending our afternoon enjoying ourselves...its safe to say our day turned a bit sour after the staff member came out to scold us. We wont be back dont worry

"Great Value!!"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/07/2016
First time playing Walked Played 18 holes Good weather

I heard a lot of good things about this course from friends and family. After reading some reviews about rude staff I was not expecting great service but all the staff that I encountered were professional. They were not overly friendly, but did a good job.

The course was very well maintained and the greens were smooth, rolled true and average in speed. I did notice 2 greens, that had a lot of shade, had some growing issues and were bumpy in spots. Overall the course was in very good shape.

The lay-out has many elevation changes and most par 4's and 5's are dog-legs. The most dog-legs I've seen on one course in my 35 years of playing this beautiful game. Driver is not required for a lot of holes. Our 4-some played the round in 4 hours and 15 minutes

For $65 w/cart this is a great value. I will definitely be back to Water Valley and highly recommend it if you are in the area.

"Little Gem!"

cpjalexander's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/01/2016

Love this course when it is in good shape!

The fairways are accomodating, the greens can be challenging and are usually moderate fast in pace. Some incredibly unique holes which keep things interesting. I think the course superintendent should embrace this rather than coming up with the most asinine pin placements from time to time.

Staff are great with the exception of some of the Course Marshalls - some of which you'd think we're gearing up to invade Poland. I'm a 4.3 index.... We are playing as fast as we can with the group in front of us and there is no one wIthin 3 holes behind us.... Pretty sure I don't need a time check...

Beware of the grumpy Marshalls....

"DO NOT PLAY HERE!"

None's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/26/2015
Previously played Played with a group Used cart Played 18 holes Poor weather

We were in a foursome yesterday and got hailed on just after the third hole. The hail was unreal (not the courses fault obviously) so after 15 minutes or so of trying to wait it out, we went in for a rain check. We were told that policy was that we would only get a rain check for the back nine (even so we hadn't played even half of the front 9), and that we would be expected to pay again for the front 9. The staff were so unfriendly about it telling us that they don't need us (I assume she meant non-members) as there is a 2 year wait for membership etc... that I would not only not recommend going, but also urge people to try other courses. These are the kind of people who deserve to go out of business. I treat people fairly and respectfully and I expect the same. If you do too, I would highly suggest playing somewhere other than here.<br/> The pace of play seemed fine.<br/> The course conditions were fine (not great, not terrible).<br/> Staff Friendliness - ABSOLUTELY HORRIBLE<br/> It is hard to give the value for the money anything above a poor when you have to pay 1.5 times the amount for one full round of golf.<br/> Quality of food and beverage - One of the guys had a hot dog before the round and said it was average. Cash only is a pain when purchasing food. Everyone else has figured it out, these guys are slow on the uptake.<br/> Condition of overall facilities - it was ok, nothing special.

Quality of food & beverage: Fair

"Rude and Confused Staff"

LanceWN's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/09/2015

1 of the 3 staff working at the club house was very rude. Asked about Canadian military / VET discounts and received rude response of "No". The course itself was in OK condition. The greens were Ok but other courses in the Calgary area are much better.<br/> The staff in the kiosk was very nice but the Marshall was very stand offish. Marshalls should talk to the players and ask how things are going? Owner should train certain staff to be professional and friendly. A golf course today is a business with lots of competition. I will not return and will not recommend this course to anyone.

Quality of food & beverage: Average

"Good Course, terrible, terrible service"

Tony8596305's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/07/2014
Previously played Played with a group Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather

Golf course is in a beautiful setting. Most of the greens (except 4) are in great shape and putt true. Fairways are in exceptional condition. This was our second visit in as many years. Last year we had experienced a rude staff member. We wrote it to ‘everybody is entitled to have a bad day’ teed off and enjoyed our round... This year our experience (with the same lady) was much much worse. We were unaware that there was a members shot gun golf tournament on going and not all the groups had passed the first hole. When we checked in she did not tell us that there would be a delay. In fact we did not receive any notice or instructions whatsoever (i.e. Wait for the starter to call you to first tee, tournament delay; you will be playing with…, etc). After warming up, a few minutes before our tee time and not hearing any starter instructions at all, for anyone, we proceeded to the vacant first tee. We assumed they did not have a starter which is not uncommon for a small town golf course. We were approached by the same lady who checked before we even reached the first tee. She proceeded to verbally assault us for attempting to golf. Chastising us for attempting to interrupt their golf tournament. My wife and I were speechless, we could not believe what had just happened. To make the situation even worse, as she was walking back we saw her stop and talk to a group of golfers, we assume they were members. We don`t know what she was said to them, however, we assume the conversation was about us as the group seemed to all stare at us in unison. Definitely the most humiliating golf experience we have had without even striking the ball. She must own the golf course for an employee would never act in such a way to a customer.

Quality of food & beverage: Average

"Great course, nice staff except for the course marshall"

careygc's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/06/2014

I'm a 10 handicap player and enjoy playing in 4 1/2 hours or less. We had a late morning tee time, the weather was perfect and we arrived with plenty of time to practice before our tee time. We checked in at the pro shop. The ladies there were very friendly and chatted us up, which I think is a sign of how golf club staff value their customers. We left the pro shop to hit the range and the putting green. Tee times were a few minutes late but not unreasonable. We teed off on the first hole and as we walked down the fairway we commented on how it couldn't be a more perfect day. We probably saw the marshall once or twice on the front nine. Fairways and greens were in great shape.

We made the turn, stopped at the halfway house to take a quick break and teed off on #10. Things were great for the rest of the round, until the 17th hole. After we teed off and were walking down the fairway the marshall stopped us and said in a raised voice, "JUST SO YOU KNOW YOU'RE 15 MINUTES BEHIND!". And he didn't say it nicely, I might add. Seriously?? We don't see him the entire back nine but we're almost finished our round and all of a sudden it's a panic that we make up 15 minutes with 1.5 holes remaining?? When we stepped on the tee box on 18 the group in front had just hit their approach shots to the green. We weren't right behind the but we weren't that far back either.

I totally agree that the role of the marshall is to keep play moving along; I also believe that they should realize that they are dealing with clients who pay good money to enjoy their day who shouldn't have to put up with verbal abuse by staff. There are more effective ways to get golfers (ie. customers) to speed up. How about asking nicely, for example? In the end we finished in 4:35 and waited on a few tee boxes. We were probably behind by a little bit we all felt that the marshall's rudeness was totally uncalled for, but apparently he figured it was necessary. Again, the pro shop staff couldn't have been nicer. Unfortunately the encounter on the 17th hole will be what we remember most about this day.

Quality of food & beverage: Fair

"Hidden Gem"

Drhbear's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/10/2014
Previously played Paired up at course Walked Played 18 holes Excellent weather

If you hit it straight you will really enjoy this course, however if you tend to spray the ball, you will spend more time in the bush or it will just get expensive. A couple of new greens still in the maturing stage, the remainder are very good. You will not need driver on every hole, so play to your best approach yardage, and watch that you do not overshoot the fairway on a few of the dog legs. Walking is very enjoyable, and the distance between greens to the next teeing area are reasonable. Enjoy!

"Pretty Good Course, Not so great staff"

staekema's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/02/2014

The conditions for the course once we started playing were not bad. The were a number of extremely soft/wet spots in the middle of fairways on several holes. Expect for two holes, the greens were in excellent condition. My frustrations came when checking in. Staff seemed confused and were very slow at processing payments and confirming tee times for my group - we finally got to the first hole after spending 20 minutes with staff in the pro shop, 15 minutes after our scheduled tee time. Excuses were made and staff blamed golf now for the delays.

Quality of food & beverage: Average

"Beautiful setting, very good course."

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/30/2014
Previously played Paired up at course Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather

This is possibly one of the best golf values within an hour's drive of Calgary. The setting and course layout is lovely, with many elevation changes and tree-lined fairways.<br/> The greens are small but I have yet to see them cut to a reasonable speed - much too slow for a course of this calibre.<br/> Staff did not seem too enthused by my booking through Golf Now, hence have not been back.

"Beautiful course tucked away in the foothills of Alberta. An absolute hidden gem."

None's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 12/06/2013

"Beautiful course in great condition, lots of trees and great views."

pkeck's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 8/17/2013

This is a beautiful country course with lots of trees and great views. It can be tough if you get off the fairways but they are generous in most cases. Reasonably priced green fees but the cart is expensive compared to most courses.

"Loved playing the course, fun and challenging"

golfandy123's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/16/2013

Loved the course but they have two negatives 1- not enough power carts 2- far away from the main highway #2

"Great course and in great conditon."

GrahamDay's avatar
Plays:  Once every three months

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/12/2013

Loved it. Had a beautiful day. Pristine conditions

"Not fancy, but a beautiful course."

naclement's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 8/4/2013

This course has many interesting holes with beautiful views.<br/> It is challenging but not overwhelming.

"A few rough spots, marshall wasn't very friendly....."

Posty1234's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 8/2/2013

Overall, the course was in good shape. A couple of greens were less than stellar. Booked 3 at first then booked the 4th later on through Golfnow phone support. Golfnow called the course to verify that the 4th was still available and was told it was. When we got there, they tried to tell us that they have had trouble with Golfnow and had booked someone else in with us. Anyway, they made it work and we got to go off with 4 on time. The marshall came around a couple times and didn't say a word or crack a smile or anything. The staff at my private club are way more friendly to guests than this rural course. I just don't think that they like 'big city' folks coming out to their course......

"A fun day in the country."

Hockeysmitty44's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 8/01/2013

Elevation changes provide a fun and moderately challenging experience just a 45 minute drive northwest of Calgary.

"Great place tucked away in the foothills."

Hockeysmitty44's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 8/1/2013

A mixture of holes that are challenging, easy, with many dog legs and elevation changes.

"Awesome value"

Bert7134184's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 7/31/2013

The course was in great shape. The only thing that could have been better was greens on the back 9. They had recently sanded them but were still very playable. I'll be back!