2.4
2.6

Style Links

Northstar California Golf Course has a unique layout that was seamlessly integrated with the rugged, wooded terrain of Tahoe. The front nine plays through a scenic, rolling valley while the back nine plays through the towering pines of the forest. The first nine holes have a classic links layout and the back nine demands precision with its tree-lined fairways and small greens. Native vegetation and scenic water hazards are scattered throughout the golf course. Strategically placed sand bunkers add another challenging element. The signature hole at Northstar California Golf Course is the par-3 15th, which requires a shot over a creek to a small green.

Northstar California Golf Course

Year Built 1974
Fairways Blue Grass
Greens Blue Grass
Golf Season May - October
Architect Robert Muir Graves (1974)

Carts Yes - $25

Hole in one

Course was very diverse, sage brush desert meadow on front night, then pine forest right back nine. Was awesome as my buddy Mike Lyons aced #13, hole! Group in front of us witnessed it as well as groups behind us. Unfortunately bar was closing at 6 when we finished so drinks were limited. Staff was awesome though.

Scenic Twilight

3 of us really enjoyed 1st trip to Northstar. Thought the design was interesting & fair, 3 out of the 4 par 5's are risk/reward off the tee, Driver to try and get home in 2 or play for par with 3W off tee. The meadow front 9 is straightforward & back 9 in the trees gives interesting options off tee, & huge elevation changes for such short holes. Staff (pro, bartender, cart kid, snack shack) could not have been friendlier. Coming in on 18 out of the shadows with a sunlit 18 green was a brilliant end to a great day. Although we couldn't make a birdie on the day, we had a ton of pars & the scratch player in our group had 2 eagles on the front (par 5 & a chip in on a par 4)

Yup, there are about 4 greens (#5 & about 3 on back where the greens don't get much sun) that are in rough shape after a historic winter, if those greens cause a 3 Putt then take a 2 Putt & enjoy the views.

Love Tahoe, Truckee and have lived in the area for 10 years. This course location is Beautiful. Front 9 open back 9 narrow which made it fun. First off 2 temporary greens about 10' across. BOOO! ALL of the greens that you could play were terrible. The ball would jump all over the place. Grass, no grass, grass...... The fairways were just as bad. Soggy, dirt, grass, no grass and I am talking about the middle of the fairways. For $65 I was VERY disappointed!! Probably won't be back for a while. That course will NOT be in good shape this year, it's getting too late in the year and it's in such bad shape. Sorry to say all this but I was NOT happy at all. I drove from Sac to meet friends and that's what I got, we.

Commented on 08/28/2019

Sorry your experience was not good Paul.
All 18 greens are open now after a slow recovery. Last winter did the most damage in 40 years, but is getting better everyday. Prices less than half of other area courses make it a great value

Don’t Waste Your $

Please do not waste your money. Course conditions especially the greens were terrible . There were two or three Temporary greens one of which was a laughable 45 yard par three, all with automatic two/putt. Many of the greens were so bumpy with lots of brown spots and small mounds. We paid $90 per person but I wouldn’t even pay $20 to play on such a poorly maintained course. On the positive side the layout is terrific especially the more challenging back nine nestled in the pines. Staff were all great except for one who asked us how our round was and before we could finish he said “I know...the greens suck”—-he then said we could go spend $250 to play Edgewood—-he then made excuses saying that “what do you expect after a winter of 600 inches of snow?”

I didn’t respond but had I replied to his comment I would have said, “well Edgewood had the exact amount of snow as Northstar did and it is in pristine condition”

Hopefully the owners of Northstar Golf will read this and other poor reviews and put the $ into making this course pristine like it used to be. Until they do something about the horrible condition of this golf course, we will not return.

Commented on 08/29/2019

I do agree that conditions were not up to standard after a huge snow year and cold Spring and June.. Some Tahoe courses have struggled more than others. Edgewood repaired many greens and fairways earlier this year, and with $300 green fees they have a much bigger maintenance budget. We are a mid level value play and perhaps not fair to compare a $60-90 course to the $200-$300 courses. Golf consumers have many choices in our area, and can choose an expensive higher end course if that suits their needs.
All 18 greens are open and course is very playable now. Last year the course was perfect and we hope this winter will allow for a much better season next year. We value our golf guests and hope you will give us a chance. For $65 we are the value play in Tahoe-we can be a fun and enjoyable experience.

Beautiful Location Decent Course

The location and vistas were awesome. The staff was super friendly. However, the conditions were subpar. The worst thing was the two temporary greens. The 45 yard par three was laughable. The greens were uneven.

If the course was In top condition, it could be a contender.

Commented on 08/28/2019

This was the most damage ever for some Tahoe area courses coming out of a huge winter. The recovery has been slower than expected, but all 18 greens are open now, and the course is getting better everyday.
Course pricing is very low for Tahoe-a great value.

Maintenance

Course wasn’t maintained to the conditions that I was expecting, two temporary greens and some bad fairways.

Rough Shape

This course reminded me of a typical municipal golf course on the front 9. The front 9 is close to “links style” while the back 9 is tucked into the trees. They gave a small discount for the course being in such rough shape (they had 3 temporary greens at this time). In my opinion, there are too many other courses in this area I would rather play than to play Northstar again.

Commented on 08/28/2019

Course has improved after a huge winter snowpack. All greens are playable now, and getting better everyday. At 1/2 to 1/3 the price of some of the other area courses, this is still the value play in Tahoe. Give it a try-low twilight rates.

Commented on 08/28/2019

Course was rough after a huge winter -50 feet of snowfall.
It is now very playable and a great value in Tahoe. Most Tahoe courses were rough in June-much better in the Fall this year. Great twilight rates!

Horrible conditions

Had we have known how bad the course was we never would have paid $60.00 for it. There were at least 5 greens that weren’t open. We should have been told how bad the course conditions were before purchasing our rounds of golf. Shame on you

Course in Great Shape

It's always a pleasure to play here. Course is in great shape along with really nice greens. Very busy day and slow with a 5 hour pace of play.

Bring your A game

NorthStar is a beautiful, well laid out course. The first nine is in the meadow with wide fairways and heavy long grass rough which will eat your balls. The back nine is in the forest and as such is narrow. I am a 13 handicap and did not need driver on the back. Uphill holes play really long so club up. Each hole has a name and a preferred way to play it. I would recommend reading it on the card before each hole. The greens are well protected and several have a ravine in front of them - no rolling the ball up to the green. The front tees are great for a beginner and they recommend which tees to hit from based on your level of experience. Overall a great design and the staff was very friendly and accommodating.

Great

Great for both low and high handicappers. Pace of play- 4 hours. Great layout, plays like a private course.

Great course, good staff. Extremely slow play with now Marshall’s

We booked 2 tee times with golf now and one directly with Northstar. However, despite confirmations for both, we weee not able to play at 150 due to another 2ssome being also booked. The group in front was so slow (20+ minutes per hole. We were going to quit, as the round would have take ln 6 hours. We returned to the proshop and the head pro Pete gave us a choice of a rain jack or suggested we skip a hole and get ahead of the slow group. That was better, but the round still took almost 5 hours due to slow play. Not sure what the Marshall was doing to instruct players to play ready golf. Course was in great condition and staff friendly and helpful.

Great day

Course in great condition, greens as good as I can remember.

Very enjoyable round

The front nine and back nine are completely different. The front nine is in a meadow and flat, while the back nine goes into the mountain with many elevation changes and target golf. We had a wonderful time.

Northstar

Nice course and probably has the best price value in the Truckee area

Can you say awesome?

Had fun...played the best game ever...and the beer in the bar was really cold.

Kings Beach, California
Olympic Valley, California
Tahoe City, California

Valid dates: Apr 03, 2020 - Oct 24, 2020
Sunriver Resort's Unlimited Stay & Play Golf Package includes unlimited play on Meadows, Woodlands or Caldera Links along with one round at the famed Crosswater Club per day during your stay. Better yet—your lodging is included! Two person, two night minimum stay required.