Northwood Golf Club

Handicap 6 4 9 5 3 7 2 8 1
Par 4 4 3 4 5 4 4 3 5 36 36

Year Built 1928
Greens Bent/Poa Annua
Architect Alister MacKenzie (1928) Robert Hunter (1928)

Golf School Academy No

Total gem

Played this course for the first time today after playing a boring and slow course in the morning.

What a difference. Despite being 1200 yards shorter I still shot 4 strokes worse and smiled the whole time. Almost every tee shot forced a decision and every single green complex was interesting. Pace of play was fine , even though at one point I got stuck behind a pair of dads with 6 kids. They quickly let me play through and everyone was having a good time and delighted to be out there.

there's no water on this course and few (amazing) bunkers, and it's in the perfect most serene setting. it sets up relatively easy for average hacks and still poses a real challenge to good golfers.

Go here. Play here.

Wow

This simply one of the most beautiful spots I have ever see. It is a fun layout with great greens and nicely placed bunkers. I had to rent clubs (which were not great). Next time I am in the area I will have my clubs and play every day. The salmon and brie appetizer at the restaurant is crazy and there is a good beer selection.

Beautiful 9-hole course

Great 9-hole course and was in superb condition. Two of us played relatively early AM and walked the 9-holes in under 2 hours. Relatively flat course playing through the scenic majestic redwoods. Very much enjoyed the round.

some holes too short

agree with all laudatory reviews: beautiful setting, smell of redwood in the air, well kept conditions despite drought, etc., etc. one demerit for me - reflecting my personal preference for the driver and not a fair criticism of the course itself - was that some holes were too short. otherwise, beautifully laid out and well maintained. worth playing here at least once.

Never spent so much time during a round looking up

What a special place. Northwood GC is, located on the Russian River in Sonoma and the heart of Redwoods country. It's probably the world's most accessible and affordable Alister Mackenzie design. Northwood is a short, small 9-holer that is wonderfully casual. The holes that play through magnificent redwoods are an absolute joy. The yardage isn't much: about 2600 yards for 9 holes, but each hole is a little different, and the small greens roll wonderfully. There are even two par 5s, which might be the only times it actually makes sense to hit a driver out here. Other holes are narrow and doglegging, so if you can't shape your shots, prepare to hear the echoing of golf ball striking 8-foot-thick redwood. What I truly adore about this place is how casual and welcoming it is to both true golfers and vacationers just interested in trying out the game. Sleeves seem optional. My wife and I, fresh off a busy afternoon in wine country, decided to stop by for a peek around and a drink on the patio. Naturally, within about 10 minutes I had talked her into playing 9 with me. We were wearing our workout clothes, but no matter, and got two super twilight tee times and a set of clubs for $36. We got around in about 80 minutes. Golf seemed practically secondary compared to the chance to walk beneath the trees in evening twilight. I suspect, when you pass by Northwood on River Road, you'll want to stop in and see what the fuss is all about. You'll love every step. Just be sure to look down and know where you're going once in awhile.

88870252-89bc-5ff6-8e5d-addd65304727
CenCalHack
Commented On 10/02/2014

Played here many times over the past few decades and I agree that this place is a gem. Proof positive that golf can be great on a course that isn't 7k yards or has invested (wasted?) millions.

Great value for the money!

Wonderful scenic course in among the Redwoods. Overall a great experience.

Slow play, almost 3 hours for 9 holes. Beautiful location and course is in good shape for the price.

I like the location, we have friends in Guerneville, so it's fun to stop here for 9 holes before heading to their place. Price is good, though they tried to charge me $27 instead of the $23 quoted on Golfnow, though we straightened it out without too much effort. Slow play is the big problem, there were 5 groups on the number 2 hole, one on green, one on fairway and 3 on tee box waiting. Seems like this always happens there, so if you go play at Northwood you'd better expect it or you will get very bothered right when your round is getting started.

Well kept

Extremely slow play. Five players in a group some with no clubs. Players hit 2 and 3 balls per shot. Marshall's ride around and say nothing. Great course but Extremely SLOW!

Featured

A gem

This is the best 9 hole course in northern cal. The redwood trees, ferns everywhere, the wine country. This place is magical

course was in great shape! The staff were very accomodating and friendly!

course was in great shape! The staff were very accomodating and friendly! What a beautiful setting!

Quiet amongst the redwoods.

Only 2 sounds; the rat-it-tat of the woodpeckers, and the clunk of balls off the trunks of the redwoods. Fun course, goofy looking homes along the fairways, great sandwiches at the bar.

Wow! This is what golf would be like in heaven.

Spectacular course and easy to walk. I would walk this course even if I didn't play golf. Golf makes it ten times better. You talk about fun - this is it. I would not miss this course. I was homesick for my golf buddies. This place is unreal. Golf pro is cool and the place rocks.

Best course for the money

best short nine hole course in sonoma county. use mother nature to your advantage(bounce ball off the three's for better spot on the fairway if you can get lucky bounce off the tree)

Featured

Best nine hole in Northern California

Nestled in old growth redwoods by the Russian River, this course is as beautiful as they come. It is a wonderful course to walk and enjoy the scenery. Fairways and greens are well-cared for. The same course designer as Augusta. What are you waiting for?

Not for slicers.

Beautiful Alistair MacKenzie course laid out among tragically tall redwoods. The tallest rough on the planet. Not to be missed by the romantic golfer.

The best 9 hole course I've ever played.

The course is magnificent shape. Tall redwoods guard tight fairways making shot selection critical. Greens are excellent and well maintained. A great course that can be played again and isn't tiring.

Spectacular

This is a Real Gem for the Area. It was orignally built for the Bohemeians , big bussiness leaders, politions, and heads of States. They still use it one to two weeks a year, but we get to enjoy it everyday. I love the staff as well as the course! This is what I consider my Home Course. The Redwood forest it's located in is Spectacular !!!

Best 9 holer I've played

Fantastic, challenging course. Impossible to play only once.

Nice nine hole course

Nice course pace of plat is good green need a little time to play great

beautiful Mackenzie design set in redwoods

Were sanding the greens so we had to play several temporary holes

Sebastopol, California