Thorncreek Golf Club

3.6199000000 3.6 stars from 5 (171)

Practice bunker: Yes

Dress code: Appropriate golf attire.
Credit cards accepted: VISA, MasterCard, Amex Welcomed

Championship 72 7268 yards 74.0 131
Championship (W) 72 7268 yards 81.5 147
Back 72 6698 yards 72.8 126
Back (W) 72 6698 yards 78.3 140
Middle 72 6335 yards 70.8 125
Middle (W) 72 6335 yards 76.5 144
Forward (W) 72 5547 yards 72.2 130

The golf course at Thorncreek Golf Club is a public, 18-hole course in the city of Thornton. The course features 7,268 yards of golf from its longest tees, playing to a par of 72. Designed by Finger Dye Spann, Inc., the course has a links-style layout. A unique aspect of the course is that a street separates the front nine holes from the back nine. Lakes that are situated on the course create water hazards that come into play on a few holes. Thorncreek Golf Club's signature hole is the par-4, 18th hole, which has a fairway with a water hazard along one side.

Course Layout: No ratings so far

Location is convenient to the city in the 'burbs worth the drive   Great for locals advanced golfers wildlife/ scenic views   Challenges include bunkers undulating greens water hazards   Great for drinks

"Thorncreek 1"

dougpfau's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/24/2015
First time playing Played as a single Used cart Played 18 holes Good weather Verified Purchaser

They were aerating a lot of the course and the greens were just sanded, so were in poor condition. Should be in good shape in a few weeks.

"Great day for golf"

jeffnoell's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/11/2015
Previously played Played with a group Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather Verified Purchaser

I consider this course above average with a few holes that make the drive up north worth it. The price is right and you can usually get a decent tee time on the weekend.<br/> Pace of play was my major issue as we heard grumblings of 5+ hour rounds on the putting green(our was 5+ as well).

Greens were slipper y and fast but entertaining.<br/> Would recommend to friends.

"thorncreek"

1jackso's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/10/2015

The is good shape with fast greens. They did stack the tee time close which slowed the pace a lot on the back 9

"Beautiful course"

Osbaldo3814160's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/24/2015

Highly recommended, great view and great course overall

"Not Bad"

jastroz's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/08/2015
First time playing Played with a group Used cart Played 18 holes Fair weather Verified Purchaser

First of all, I will say it was very windy when we played. So because of that, it was a bit tougher than it normally would have been I think. From the very start, we were very confused. The reason for that was, there was no signage. We didn't even know where the first hole was (we had to ask someone, and they told us it was through a tunnel). They didn't have any signs that said what hole you were on, the yardage, an image of the hole, etc. as most courses do. Also, they didn't even have any tee markers out. There were a couple holes where we got lost, and went to the wrong hole. I am guessing this was the case because it was winter time, and maybe they just don't put it out during winter time due to the wear and tear that is taken on the signs. Other than that though, the course was in pretty decent shape considering it was the middle of winter. Everything was maintained nicely. Greens, fairways, and approaches; all good. Will recommend to my friends.

"Great deal, great day to golf."

Nodoze24's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 01/25/2015
First time playing Played with a group Used cart Played 18 holes Average weather Verified Purchaser

We got onto the course for $26/ea. Our foursome had a blast, it was a great day to golf in January! Our only regret is we didn't start sooner as we only were able to get about (12) holes in before dark. Course has a fun setup, and I enjoyed our off season game.

"Loved this Course!"

user00234834's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/01/2014
First time playing Played with a group Used cart Played 9 holes Good weather Verified Purchaser

The course was adequately challenging and certainly worth the money spent. Will definitely play here again.

Quality of food & beverage: Excellent

"Thorny"

Dennis3855910's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/31/2014

Ok, not the best golfing experience- not the worst golfing experience! It was ok.

Quality of food & beverage: Average

"Nice Course right off I-25!"

gsudac1216's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/21/2014
First time playing Played with a group Used cart Played 18 holes Good weather Verified Purchaser

Great course right of I-25! A nice variety of holes with a little bit of everything. Nice practice facility. Not to narrow or too wide open. Greens were quick despite having a bit of dressing left on them from the aeration about a month previous. Definitely will go back!

"Thorncreek 10/19"

cliffpollard's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/19/2014

The course was in excellent shape, the weather was perfect, only problem was the guy behind us kept hitting into us. We would be hitting our secound shot and his ball would roll up right behind us or beside us!

"Thorncreek Golf Course"

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/28/2014

A few challenging holes for a first year player but overall a good experience. We did encounter a group of drunk golfers who would not wait to tee off. Just abut hit with golf balls on two occasions and would leave trash behind of green in front of us. I would like to go back but probably won't because of this. =(

"user friendly"

FrankPetersen's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/25/2014
First time playing Played with a group Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather Verified Purchaser

good time at a good venue at a place that is very easy to get to from Denver

"Great round at Thorncreek"

Harposheros's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/17/2014

Had a great time and the round went right on pace. Thorncreek has many challenges! Long Par-3's and 4's! Always enjoy the degree of difficulty and the course length. Looking forward to playing again.

"BAD"

billbobaggins's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/15/2014

This was one of the worst experience, iI have ever had in Colorado and I have been traveling there for over 10 years now. Played a lot of courses all over Colorado. Was never told about the tournament of retired firefighters was going on. Took over 5 hours and only made it to the 13th hole.

"A great course for intermediate players and up!"

Bridgeitbardoe's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/09/2014

We're only able to play 10 holes as it atarted pouring rain. Very disappointed not to see back none as enjoyed front nine do much. They will give us a rain check for the back 9 so we are very happy!

"A solid test"

rps6936's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/07/2014

Really fun course that provides a solid test of golf. Bring your course management and green reading skills. Plenty of risk/reward situations. Huge greens with lots of undulation. Pace was right at 4 hours on a Sunday afternoon. Food was good too.

"A breakdown from someone who is here daily..."

Joshuaplaysgolf's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/06/2014
Previously played Paired up at course Walked Played 18 holes Excellent weather

So I hang out here (practice and/or play) a minimum of 6 days a week, so I know the ins and outs of this place. Let me preface this by saying that I grew up in the cornfields of Illinois playing ummm...interesting...back-woods courses.

Let's start with the bad:

- The green speeds can fluctuate daily. It's frustrating because if you play there frequently you spend the first 3 holes trying to figure out how hard to hit your putts and how much break to play.<br/> - The range is pretty sandy and soft, and the tee boxes on the range aren't mowed as tightly as you might prefer. This is easily resolved by packing down a small area to hit a few shots off of a realistic feeling lie from the fairway.<br/> - The chipping green is small. Like, the size of your kitchen table pushed next to your coffee table.<br/> - People are poor, getting better, but poor at fixing their ball marks. When other people are lining up putts I typically fix 4-5 just to try and keep the greens running smooth.<br/> - Because green fees are so cheap, you get a very wide variety of players, from the average player, the beginners, the general riff-raff, to the serious player who would golf for a living in a heartbeat.

So why would I give this place 5 stars?

-The green fees are cheap. Like really cheap. Especially if you are on their practice program, which allows you to play at volume to work on your game if you don't make 6 figures.<br/> - The staff there is extremely nice, and have a good sense of humor. I don't exactly look like your average golfer. At all. And a lot of places I go to they instantly treat me like a hack...at least until I start swinging a club. The staff will take the time to know your name, ask how your doing, and crack a joke or two with you when they are cleaning up the range.<br/> - Literally every green here is multi-level, some of them even 3 levels. This is a bummer, and the best way to describe it is gimmicky, and the staff is realistic about it...however, this makes shot making and hitting to the correct level imperative to putting up a good score. Some pin placements are downright nasty, and for someone who is working to compete, its fantastic for developing your accuracy and distance control with your irons.<br/> - There's some real risk/reward holes out here, and plenty of holes you have to be realistic with and take your par and walk away...but there's also a handful of scoring opportunities and you can really go after some of the holes.<br/> - The back 9 especially, will force you to keep your driver in your bag outside of 3 holes (12, 14, 18), and target golf is good golf. It will teach you to play to yardages, not just pull your driver and play your giant banana slice.<br/> - Despite being different speeds, the greens roll pretty smooth and true.<br/> - Outside of holes 12 and 14, there are no holes that play back on each other, forcing you to actually pay for hitting the ball 50 yards offline. And deservedly so.<br/> - While I've witnessed a lot of people get frustrated with kids at golf courses, I personally love this and encourage it by giving away buckets of range balls to kids and offering lessons. For example, there was a kid trying to hit out of the practice bunker the other day, I asked: 'Has anyone ever taught you how do to that?' 'No, but I REALLY want to learn how.' So I gave him a quick lesson. Golf is starving for kids to get involved, and it makes me happy to see kids who are hungry to learn the game. In 15 years, those are the players who will be keeping our game alive, they should be encouraged and having a course that kids feel comfortable at the very least practicing at is a necessity. This is one of the few places in Denver I've seen it.

So sure, it's not the greatest course you'll ever play, but play here. The fundamentals of golf are this: hit it in the fairway, get on the green in regulation, and make a couple putts...and you can do that anywhere. The views are phenomenal, the rates are unbeatable (literally), and I've never once ran into a rude player or staff member. I'm not sure what else you could ask for.

"Decent"

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/11/2014
First time playing Paired up at course Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather Verified Purchaser

The course is nothing spectacular, decent but probably wont go back. Mondays is senior day and course was really slow.

"Drunken Golfer Encounters 2 Different Times"

LarryMorales's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/27/2014
Previously played Played with a group Used cart Played 18 holes Good weather Verified Purchaser

Two different times I played here @ ThornCreek and on both occasions have encountered drunken people 1 time it was a foursome the guys could not even stand much less hit a golfball , on Sunday we ran into a threesome that was also drunken stupid.<br/> I do not know if there is a limit from cart girl to serve but , I know an accident happens after leaving golf course and they say where were you drinking there could be a problem. Just thought I would mention this 2 times there and 2 times drunken golfers - it was not even a tourney

"Great day of golf"

xgrantp's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/09/2014

Had a blast. Staff was laid back, friendly, and the course was not busy at all

Quality of food & beverage: Excellent