2.6

Indoor Practice No
Practice Hole No

Bar, Grill

Good and Bad

First the good. The course is short, but an excellent lay out. Good variety of flat and hilly terrain and a great mix of holes with some long par threes (not expected on a short course). Used every club in the bag which is a sign of a good test of golf. Need to hit driver on a few holes given how long they are. Fairways and tees were in good shape; which is saying something given the Summer we've had. Attendant in the pro shop was very nice and even said thanks for coming on my way out.

Now the bad. When I arrived the pro shop attendant informed me that all the greens were damaged. Some form of chemical mishap that killed large sections of all greens. She was right, they were in bad shape. This was news to me as this important detail was not on their website. She then said because of the damage the rates have been adjusted. She gave me $5 off my green fee! $40 to walk and play unplayable greens on every hole. I was shocked. I had driven almost an hour to play; if I was closer I would have walked out the door. Even if the course is in terrific shape the $45 price tag to walk is on the high side. Courses like Oxbow and Ingersoll stand out as comparisons. Bothe are better courses and you can walk both for about $30. Arkona's pricing is off the mark. With the greens the way they are they should be charging $20 per round. My ratings were obviously very critical of the conditions and value for money but I'll give them credit where credit is due on the rest. This post is mostly to make people aware of the green issues and let management know about the pricing. I think this is a fair review and I truly look forward to getting back when the greens issue is resolved; I hope the restoration work goes well for the club.

Tough Par 68

Played here quite frequently. Have played all the courses in Lambton County and this course had the most consistent greens. Extremely fast, hang on for the ride. Holes 16, 17, and 18 I consider to be the best three finishing holes in the county grouped together. The course is never busy, which is surprising. Everyone I ask all say they love Arkona. This is a perfect course for Seniors, Juniors and Women. Even big ball hitters who I have seen drive the ball close to alot of the greens, don't do well here.

Thoroughly enjoyed our day at Arkona....front nine fairly flat but challenging....quite surprised at the hilliness of the back 9 - glad we had carts..large greens are nicely manicured and reasonably quick - be prepared for the slopes to greens. Staff extremely friendly - unusual for most courses we have played. Had a good deal through Golf Now for $25 incl. tax and cart...can't beat that. Well worth the drive and will play again soon.

Thedford, Ontario