1.4

Par 4 4 3 5 4 4 3 5 3 35 35

Year Built 1946

9-Hole Rounds 3

9 holes of backyard play

Simple course of straight fairways. Very poor greens.
Value for the Money Poor
Course Layout Fair

Great course for practice and casual play

Reviewer disclaimer: we are fairly novice golfers with 1 year of lessons and play experience but have played from PGA to neighborhood/municipal level of greens. Alvin course is located in a rural country area with quiet atmosphere relaxed setting. The layout is a 9 hole course you could play once and repeat for a full 18. Golf shop attendant was friendly and shop appeared well stocked. Bathrooms were clean and a snack bar is on site (did not go in though). There is NO practice range. We played 3 days after heavy rain in the area. Some parts of the course were sloshy but overall play condition was good (carts were path only but you could do 90 degree). Course layout is a back and fourth style with one fairway neighboring another. There are several water hazards and we lost a few balls having to hit over them at challenging angle (#8). Greens and tee boxes are bit bumpy; fairways had weedy areas but were wide with no houses or other major hazards to make for less stressful play (especially for a newbie golfer!). Trees dot the course with shady areas and drinking water available on many of the holes. There was little sand in the packed bunkers. Golf carts were in good condition; pathways were level and easy to drive. No course Marshall was seen in the time of our play. We had to wait for other golfers in front of us, and most parties were 3 to 4 people, so not much room to combine. Overall we felt we got our money's worth (Golf Now regular price reservation) for 18 holes. Would recommend this course as an inexpensive course to play when you want a pick up game, a relaxed location to "get back" into golf after being out of the game for a bit. to keep in playing shape if close by, or to work out problem swings. It would not a place to work on your putting with the bumpy greens.
Staff Friendliness Average
Off-course amenities Average
Course Conditions Fair
Value for the Money Good
Course Layout Average

Friendly People

Relaxing pace, greater place to play
Pace of Play Excellent
Off-course amenities Excellent
Course Conditions Excellent
Course Layout Excellent

Go somewhere else ...I'd rather pay more and play a nicer course

This course is for someone who has picked up the game. The greens were bumpy.
Staff Friendliness Good
Course Conditions Average
Course Layout Fair

Lost a customer

I have played this course numerous times, mostly because I am not a great golfer, but it is cheap and gives me a chance to practice without spending a fortune. My sons (17 and 9) have also come out to play with me at this course several times. The 17 year old actually plays and the 9 year old hits a ball off the tee, we pick it up and then throws a ball on the green when we get there and he putts out. This has never been a problem and we do not hold anyone up (we normally play in the afternoon and once you get past noon, the course is dead). Anyway, we went out today, a Sunday afternoon, to play. I had reserved a tee-time for two golfers and when I checked in I told the gentleman in the pro shop that I wanted two carts, and I would pay for the additional cart. I explained that my 9 year old was coming along and would hit a couple of balls but wasn't really playing, as we had done numerous times in the past. He told me that I could only have a second cart if there were 4 of us playing and that my 9-year-old could not play. I asked him why, as this had never been a problem before, and I got a mumbled response about it wasn't going to happen. I told him that he just lost a good customer and they will never get my business again. No wonder the course if for sale. I had never had a problem playing at Alvin. The course is generally in lousy shape, most of the greens are only half playable and the fairways are mostly void of grass, but at least it was cheap and a place to practice. The staff had always been friendly and polite, until today that is. After leaving, we went to Quail Valley to hit some balls at the range. While in the pro shop to get balls, I asked the guy working there that if I came out with my sons and my 9-year-old rode along and hit a couple of balls once in a while, if they would want to charge me a green fee for him. He said no, but that since there would be three of us, he would have to charge an additional cart fee. Exactly what I offered to do at Alvin but it was unacceptable. As I said, Alvin lost a good customer. I won't be back.
Quality of food & beverage Poor
Pace of Play Fair

Good value

Hard to find. Overall a nice outing. Greens were ok but not great. Moving was done as we played. Right past us and kicked up a lot of dust and dirt in our faces. Other than that we had a nice day. Staff was very friendly.
Off-course amenities Good
Course Conditions Average

Friendly people.

The course needed a little work but the people were very friendly and it made for a great day of golf.
Quality of food & beverage Average
Pace of Play Excellent
Off-course amenities Average

Super friendly staff

Staff was super friendly and the golfers were also very friendly
Quality of food & beverage Fair
Off-course amenities Fair
Course Conditions Fair
Value for the Money Excellent

It's good place to play.

It's good place to play and good value per price. I recommend this course.
Quality of food & beverage Average
Off-course amenities Good
Course Conditions Good

not coming back

I'm fairly new to golf and have played at only 4 different courses including Alvin. This course is a very plain/dull course. There are no features to the course that are even remotely interesting. The greens were in bad shape and the sand traps were like concrete. Like the title says, I won't be going back.
Staff Friendliness Average