Sawmill Golf Course

Caddies: No

Indoor practice facilities: No
Simulator: No

White 71 5871 yards N/A N/A

Location is worth the drive   Great for locals walkers seniors   Challenges include bunkers elevation changes water hazards   Great for drinks

"Big Changes Huge Improvement move Sawmill UP"

Pinhunter2's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/22/2017

Niagara is home for me, I try to play all of them I can get on, however, I have to admit I haven't played Sawmill in about 20 years. I went out last Sunday and its so much better than it used to be. The practice area is greatly improved - thank you so much. So is the clubhouse with a major renovation. The course conditions are also greatly improved (bunkers, greens, tee boxes) There have been some new hazards placed in tricky places where your drive would typically land. Yikes. I can't remember the hole number but I still love the Par 5 on the very back of the property where to need to ring the bell. In fact, there is no hole I don't like. The trees are all mature now and this is not a grip it and rip it course anymore. Definitely a TOP 10 in Niagara and maybe just slips outside the top 5. I was so impressed I think I may look at Men's League or a membership next year. I played both Twenty Valley and Sawmill this week. They are both close in rank now and in the past I'd give Twenty the nod but with the improvements to Sawmill (especially practice area) I prefer Sawmill.

Kudos on the work you've done!

"Great time"

Johnkantor's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/15/2017

Went out with some friends great time good staff, nice course...food ehh

"Love this course!!!"

Golfingphantom's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/18/2016
Previously played Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather Verified Purchaser

This course has it all, a challenging layout, sent in a beautiful natural setting, great for couples. Play smart and you will score well.

"Great layout"

brawny905's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/16/2016
Previously played Used cart Played 18 holes Good weather

This course would be outstanding if their greens were even in decent shape. Almost all greens are pock marked. Ball was bouncing all over the place.

"Lots of character"

lshedden's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/28/2016
Previously played Used cart Played 18 holes Good weather Verified Purchaser

Very interesting layout. Plays long for us girls. Conditions were good, but they had recently punched the greens(which golfnow did not let us know ahead of time),The ones that were healing look to be really good.

Saw a deer on the back 9 !

Typical local traps : sometimes sand ,sometimes not...all local courses have same issues, even Glen Abbey !

"Great experience"

uWIYL8655WI's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/15/2016
First time playing Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather Verified Purchaser

First time playing picturesque Sawmill and I hope it is not the last. My experience on the course, in the pro shop and at the restaurant was top rate.

The course was in fine condition especially considering the drought we have had in southern Ontario this summer. There are a nice mixture of holes ranging from very difficult to somewhat easy depending on your game level. The greens are massive and well contured which places a premium on putting. Most are flanked by well configured bunkers and many are littered with fairway bunkers in the tee shot landing areas. Water comes into play on numerous holes.

Sawmill has four sets of tees to suit any ability level.

"just a nice course"

uIKAE3849IK's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/06/2016

Sawmill is a very nice course, the fairways are somewhat wide, some challenging holes, greens are in excellent shape and fairly fast.

"An Interesting Afternoon"

bobby04's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/02/2016

The front 9 is not very memorable - too many holes all the same. The back 9 is far more entertaining - water comes in to play, dog legs and sand trap challenges. It was fun using all of the sticks in the bag. Overall, it was an enjoyable afternoon. A major criticism is in #1 being the hardest hole on the course and #10 being the second hardest. Never a good idea to start a round that way.

"Great Course and Layout"

GT86golf's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/29/2016
Previously played Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather

The course is in great shape this year. Greens are firm, yet receptive. Bunkers are well kept with soft sand. And the staff are great. It was hot out so it was nice to see the cart girl out to offer refreshments several times during the round. The gazebo grill at the turn is great for a one stop shop and Sawmill even has it's own app where you can order food while you play to be ready for you when you arrive so it doesn't slow down your round. Definitely one of my favourite courses in the region and will be back for more again soon.

"Worth a Visit"

Ernest1975's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/20/2016
Previously played Walked Played 18 holes Excellent weather

This is not my first time playing Sawmill, and tonight I tried to squeeze in 18 before dark. It almost happened.

PROS:

> forgiving layout (i.e. rough not too punishing)

> greens in good condition

> pro shop staff very polite

> real good practice facilities (2nd best chipping area within 30 miles)

CONS:

> none that I could think of at the moment

"Great course at a great price"

sneezer10's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/24/2016

Considering it is early in the season the course was in fabulous shape. Layout is great and pace of play was dead on at 4hrs. Would highly recommend this course.

"Course in great early season form"

GT86golf's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/23/2016
Previously played Used cart Played 18 holes Good weather

I love playing this course and this experience was no different. Being early in the season my expectations for course conditions are usually low. The staff at Sawmill have really kept their course in great shape to start the year! The tee boxes, fairways and greens were lush green and the sand traps were in good shape. They have removed a lot of trees to make the course play a little easier than years prior so pace of play should speed up for your average golfer. If you haven't golfed here, you're missing a great gem. They offer a Player's Club membership that I have been a part of for 3 years now. If you don't know what it is. Check it out because it's a great value.

"Interesting & challenging"

coolgolfer19's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/28/2015
Previously played Played with a group Used cart Played 18 holes Average weather

Course is in excellent condition, greens, fairways, traps, tee blocks

Quality of food & beverage: Excellent

"Always a Pleasure to Play!"

matrix06's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/26/2015

Course was in excellent shape , fairways and greens were pristine. I always enjoy playing this course as it has a variety of challenges . Pace of play was excellent for a Saturday. I will definitely return, a Must Play .

"Still fun to Play"

krazyr's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/23/2015
Previously played Played with a group Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather Verified Purchaser

Haven't been to Sawmill for a few years, but it hasn't changed too much. Same challenging course with a number of forced layups, lots of water and rolling fairways you can't always see. The course is in GREAT shape and the greens roll very well. I would tell anyone to go play this course!!

"Awesome coarse"

u222084285's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/11/2015

You have heard the saying<br/> Best kept secret<br/> This is one of them<br/> Haven't played this coarse in over 10 years<br/> I must say they done a great job updating this coarse and clubhouse<br/> I'm looking forward to playing it again

"Simple yet unique"

Gduval's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/06/2015

Very fun and challenging course. Forces you to use a lot of different shots and clubs. Couple holes are set up really uniquely. Wish the water was a little cleaner for aesthetic appeal around the course

"Sawmill is a nice little parkland course"

linksman's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/03/2015

I am becoming quite fond of Sawmill as it presents some interesting challenges and yet is not overly long from the Blues. Several holes (3 par 4's and 1 par 5) are forced carries unless you are a long bomber. To play them efficiently you may have to consider using your 180 yard club off the tee as big numbers lie in wait for the foolhardy. The greens have some subtle breaks that can have you talking to yourself but roll true if read right.

You won't be disappointed at the senior rates and the club has a very friendly feel about it.

"sawmill"

Brucebishop's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/28/2015
First time playing Played with a group Used cart Played 18 holes Good weather Verified Purchaser

the pace of play was not very good.Too many 2 somes.we had 3 of them behind us .In front of us were 2 four somes which were real slow.the staff was friendly.We saw no marshell the whole day.

Commented on 09/06/2015

Since when does a golf course team need to defend comments from paying customers?<br/> You don't see this on other Golf Now listed courses.<br/> Makes you think that perhaps the positive comments posted here are or were staged? ( without prejudice ).<br/> I was considering playing Sawmill... but after reading the comments I will try another course.<br/> May I suggest, if all ithe comments / reviews are legitimate that the SawmillGolfTeam just relax... and let us the players make the judgement on posted comments / reviews.

Commented on 08/29/2015

Dear Bruce,

Thanks for your recent review of Sawmill. We're sorry that you didn't completely enjoy your day. Although you've complained about some twosomes behind you, please note that there were no twosomes in front of you and we were fully booked from 6:30am. The middle of the day was quieter so we did allow a few twosomes to play alone at that time. I'm surprised that you found the pace of play slow as almost all groups finished in just over 4 hours. We did have a marshall on the course all day - I personally spoke to your group, returned your son's cell phone, and waved to you in passing. We do try to keep our distance so that we don't interfere with your game. Hopefully, when you visit Niagara in the future you'll consider playing at Sawmill again.

Best regards,<br/> The Sawmill Team

"One of my favourites"

dw57's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/16/2015

I was a member here 35+ years ago and enjoy coming back to play every time. There are many holes that have that wow factor for me and it is always in great shape. A must play for a desired mid-level course.

Commented on 08/29/2015

Dear dw57,

Thanks for your kind review of Sawmill. We're glad you continue to return after all these years and we appreciate that you've recognized the improvements that have made Sawmill a 'must play' course! We look forward to seeing you again soon.

The Sawmill Team