Rockway Golf Course

Year Built 1935
Golf Season Apr 1 to Nov 15
Architect Stanley Thompson (1935)

Driving Range yes
Golf Simulator No
Indoor Practice No
Practice Hole No

Junior Golfers 6

My favourite course

I played Rockway over 20 times last season. It is, by far my favourite course to play. I have only played there once this season. Between 2018 & 2019, the price for a round increased by $20, making it one of the more expensive courses in the area. I have been playing at Conestoga this year for $45.20 including cart on Sunday mornings. Rockway is around $80. By booking later in the day and using Golf Now, I was able to book this one round for a price I could afford.

Enjoyable

My son and I played twilight with a member and his friend, they were friendly and patient with my novice play, the course was in great shape, the only negative was there was a group in front of us that was very slow and didn't, allow us to play thru, a Marshall on the course might have helped speed up the pace.

Plays Twice a year

Great day of golf

Course was in great shape and pace of play was amazingly good. We had a wonderful round and were paired up with a walk-on player that made our round even more enjoyable. Looking forward to returning.

Good conditions for April.

The course had only been open 3 days so I was pleasantly surprised at the conditions. Greens had not fully grown in from fall aeration but rolled reasonably well. Ball washers were fully serviced and had new towels. A great early spring round.

Rude Marshall

Had a tee off time and was told when we got to the starter that we would be pushed back 30 minutes, because of league play. League play starters were almost mad that we were interrupting their groups because we went off in between some. Told not to push them. Asked to play on the back instead, said it was too busy. After two hours and 5 holes later phoned the Pro shop and asked if the league was playing 9 or 18, said they were playing 9 only. Asked if we could then jump to 10 and come back later and play 6-9, Pro shop asked if they were letting us play through, said no, which is understandable they are in league play. Pro shop was hesitant with the idea, said i would call back after the next hole. Next hole the Marshall comes by, asked if we were the ones who called about playing 10, said yes, he then said that we cant bend the rules for you guys. I said what rules are we bending, the 10 groups in front of us are playing 9, therefore 10 and beyond would be open and clear. Upset with the overall Marshalls attitude, instead of trying to help find a solution to the slow play. Finally got done 9 after 2.5 hours. Got to 10 and surprise surprise, absolutely no one on the back. Played 10-14 in 25 minutes. Marshall came by, and asked how we got to 14, was accusing us of skipping holes? Not really sure why it mattered. Said no, then said I told you there would be no one on the back. Coming down 15, Marshall comes back, says were not going to get 18 holes in, Carts need to be in before dark. You have 30 minutes left. Said that's fine, its taken us 30 minutes to play 5 holes and we are flying by this time. Finish 18, had to wait on our approach shot on 18 for the first time on the back nine while a group was shaking hands on the green. Got up to the pro shop Marshall was there waiting for us, "Told you you wouldn't get 18 in". I said we got it in, and we still have 15 minutes left before you said come on in, should go play a couple more holes.

Overall experience left a very bad taste for this course. Especially with the Marshall being so rude and worrying about us skipping holes, or carts be in at a certain time, instead of trying to hurry the pace of play up.

excellent course for the money

-i'm 15 minutes from this course
-I can usually get a tee time at twilite which starts at 11am on Tuesdays and is 5hrs before dusk at other times
-sometimes the play is slow because it is a public course but most people will allow you to play through
-the course is picturesque and very well maintained
-the only issue I have is they charge way too much for a beer, $8

Rockway

For a City run course it's in good condition. Pace of play is a little slow but it's very cheap to compensate. Overall I would definitely Golf there again. 4/5 stars

short course with great value

I've been to this course several times before in past years, but it was in even better condition than I remembered. Highly recommended if you're looking for good value within the city.

Great day

Had a great day with my teenage son and a friend.

Course is in really good share and staff are very friendly and efficient.

Beautiful course just to slow

Played this course last year, took over 5 hours, gave it another chance this year and was waiting on every hole about 5 minutes. The course itself is in great shape and has some fun holes. If it wasn't for the pace of play I would play this course all the time

Bonus November Golf Day

Spectacular 20+ degree November day with cloudless blue sky was a great day to play this shorter but lovely Stanley Thompson layout. A thoroughly enjoyable day. I will definitely return.

Power carts

19.50 per person on a cart is ridicoulous. Other than that very nice course

Good old Rockway

All members of our foursome grew up playing on this course. We haven't played here for a few years so we decided to come back for a round. Nothing much has changed, which was a good thing. We played in the mid afternoon on a Friday and the pace of play was excellent. We didn't have to wait to hit on any holes. The course is relatively short but the tree lined fairways make accuracy a must. Fairways and grees were in good shape and a couple of tees have been regraded and sodded.
A good time was had by all. ( Beer prices from the beverage cart were high but not out of line from other area courses.)

Course has nice greens

Enjoyed the golf experience. Staff was very friendly which helps make the day more enjoyable. Some holes were very challenging. Overall would recommend this golf course.

Too crowded

Too crowded, carts are old and slow....................................

........