Westbrook Golf Club - Regulation

Tees

"Avoid!"

Zweerink's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/10/2016

This is not even a golf course. The Greens have no grass on them. I wish I could post apicture because it was unbelievable. It appears they have used fairway grass on the greens and it is all burnt up. We played 9 and left in disgust. Staff shrugged us off. Manager was called and she was less than helpful. Golf Now stepped up and offered us a voucher for another round.

Golf now was advised to remove this course from their website. Nobody should give this course a second look. Avoid at all cost regardless he good the deal is.

Course Layout: Poor

"The Greens do not exsist"

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/25/2016
First time playing Used cart Played 9 holes Good weather

We were warned that the greens on the back 9 were not in good shape and they were currently trying to revitalize them so we played the front nine. If the front nine was the best they had to offer then it isn't even worth the time or money to play period. Some of the fairways are in terrible shape as well.

Course Layout: Poor

"New owners need to pay attention"

Paula9585701's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/12/2016
Previously played Used cart Played 9 holes Good weather

Westbrook USED to be our course of choice. We, a group of 8-10 ladies, NEVER missed a Ladies Night on Mondays. We were faithful to it long after most other ladies lost faith.

The past couple of years have been hard for the course. When it went into receivership, the course began to become a thing of the past. Again...we continued to give it our business. They forced the departure of the only good thing about the place....Jeff. He cared about the course and it's reputation.

We all became very hopeful when we heard the course was finally sold to somebody who owns other, very well maintained courses. Um.......Wow, I'd love to see those courses because they've done NOTHING to help this one!!

This has been a crazy, drought-like summer here in Kingston, which has not helped the course at all BUT there are MANY other courses in Kingston who are on a well water system, and those courses are in MUCH better shape than this one is.

Today, my friend and I played 9 holes with a cart (We had planned to play 18). The course is completely brown....totally expected, since all lawns are in the same condition in the city. BUT THE GREENS........oh My!!! They look like a desert!! Cracks, holes, and ridiculous! Absolutely ridiculous!!! The new owners need to either pay attention, or give it up. This course honestly, is unplayable. And they wanted to charge us 53.00!! (Thank you Golf Now.....22.00, but still not worth it)

That staff though.......wow!! Gotta give a huge high five to Lisa, Zack and Jack!! They went out of their way, to make sure our experience was as good as it could be! It was such a hot day, Lisa came by twice, to make sure we were ok and to see if we needed more water or ice. How sweet! They're the only asset to your course right now!

New owners.....if you're reading this, come down and take a look at this course. It COULD be a really great course again.....if you let it!

"SHOULD PAY YOU TO PLAY"

BaraccoliObama's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/11/2016
First time playing Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather

If I could give this zero stars I would.

The worst golf course I have ever seen in my entire life. Pace of play was great because I was the only one dumb enough to come out and play this golf "course". Conditions were atrocious, course is poorly maintained, all greens are cracked earth, there was a dead frog on the second green that looks like it had been there for weeks. I half expected a lion to jump at me out of the fescue at any point. Scorecard yardages don't match the hole signs (see Hole #13 pics below) and there are no yardage markers on the tees. Some holes don't even have tee markers (Hole #6 comes to mind).

I would not wish this course upon my most hated playing partner.

This course is also not a member of GAO and thus does not have a valid Course or Slope Rating, making it useless to play as it can't be used for handicap purposes (see http://i.imgur.com/ilCjeHl.png as I try to enter my score for my handicap on the Golf Canada website).

Pictures of my round can be found at the links below:

"Absolutely horrible"

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/08/2016
First time playing Used cart Played 18 holes Good weather Verified Purchaser

to be fair it has been extremely dry! However, the course was pretty much unplayable......the greens, actually browns were cracked like a desert, the old holes had a gap around the perimeter on most occasions and were also about a half inch below green level. The fairways were like marble and the only time your ball stopped was when it went into the fescew. As I said....pretty much unplayable. The pace of play was good because we were the only ones dumb enough to be on the course. You may laugh, but I'm not really someone to complain....up to this course I used to say thai I have never met a golf course I didn't like...this one changed that! :( I repeat, it has been extremely dry here, however, this course should not be open in this condition.

"Worst Course Ever"

rainman401's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/04/2016
Previously played Walked Played 9 holes Average weather

I've played a lot of golf in my life and this is the worst possible course you could imagine, it should be closed due to humiliation. I sure hope the new owners are aware of the poor conditions on this course.

Course Layout: Poor

"Almost abundant golf course"

fumio1623's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/21/2016
Previously played Used cart Good weather Verified Purchaser

The course was in terrible condition, many greens were dried up with cracked spots. Due to the hot and dry weather in this summer fairway was burned to almost no grass. A staff's excuse was the broken water pump. The course condition was so bad we thought it should be closed. No wonder we only saw few golfers during our play.

Course Layout: Poor

"Make It a Practice Round"

rezlets's avatar
Plays:  Twice a year

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/04/2016
First time playing Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather

This course has great potentials. Could be a great coarse but needs extreme maintenance. Bunkers hard and overgrown, greens burnt out on many holes, limited irrigation if any. Obvious lack of water and streams dried out. Fairways hard as a rock which gives you great distance on your drive and second shot.That's a Plus! Layout front nine somewhat tight and irregular, back nine open. This course seemed to be your own private course. No one was there. I think we seen two twosomes the entire time we were there. Great!!! No one ever pushed. Great for practice. Fantastic!!!! It's a shame to see this happen to the course. "The Girl Employs" looked great and extremely helpful and friendly. For a pressure free time try it out and hope for rain. Enjoy!!! "Your Practice Round". Wolf S

"Needs water"

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/02/2016

The grass was burnt and lots of dirt patches

"Westbrook"

stevecallahan's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/30/2016
Previously played Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather Verified Purchaser

Course was in okay shape. The fairways were a little dried out, however because we played in the middle of the day on a Thursday, there were very few golfers on the course. We basically had the Golf Course to ourselves.....I would not pay more than 30 dollars for a round with cart to play this course.

"This is a fairly challenging course"

Felix5364421's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/24/2016

This course demands a fair degree of accuracy off the tees or else you will spend a good portion of time looking for your golf ball in the woods. The fairways and greens are in very good shape. However, the sand bunkers are in need of some tender loving care. The club house staff was quite friendly. Simply, this course provides one with a golfing experience.

"Good course; needs maintenance"

gopalsethi's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/18/2016

A great course. Back nine better than front nine with a couple of Par 5's.

The grass is thick and the greens a bit slow. Lacks maintenance.

Staff very friendly and supportive. Was advised that continuous work in progress to bring the course back to normal.

"A good mix"

august21's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/01/2016
Previously played Used cart Played 18 holes Good weather Verified Purchaser

Par 3 is excellent for seniors and a quick game. Long course has its challenges.Did not get a chance for 19th hole this year but was ok last year.

"Needs help"

annemccracken's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/29/2016

This course needs a lot of work. Grass cuttings were thick. Green in very bad shape. Could not finish one hole as sprinklers were on the green and we would have been soaked. Very expensive for very poor conditions.