Style Traditional
Southern Oaks Golf Club - TX

Year Built 1999
Architect Mark Brooks Golf (1999)

Metal Spikes Allowed Soft spikes only
Single Allowed No
Dress code Collared shirts are required. T-shirts, cut offs, swimwear & tank tops are not acceptable.

Clubhouse

Available Activities

Swimming, Billiards

Anonymous

Best course I've played this year so far

I played 2 rounds at my Dad's country club in Illinois in May and Southern Oaks was in such great shape I would place it above a very nice private club. They provide range balls and ice for coolers and we finished in under 3 hours and 30 minutes. That's was a good thing because it was super hot today. The greens were in good shape and my only complaint there was they did not water in the fertilizer enough onn a couple of holes. If the beverage cart had come through more often, it would have been better, but overall, it was a great round.

First Visit

I really enjoyed the layout's transition from parkland golf to links-style play. It definitely presented a firm challenge with the wind swirling on the back 9. The open fairways were extremely forgiving, however. The main difficulty of the course was club selection on approach shots. Regarding the condition of the course, the fairways, greens, and tee boxes were in very decent shape. There were some unusual muddy spots, probably a result of a touch of over-watering since there hadn't been any recent rainfall. The quiet, natural setting offered a great change in pace from many courses in the Metroplex. The course definitely has a dry and fast appearance that was rather deceiving (not much rollout and greens held very well). This was also applicable to the greens which often appeared to be much slicker than they really were. It was pretty difficult to gauge those downhill putts, many of which I left short. Pace of play was excellent until my playing partner and I caught up to a bit of a bottleneck on the back 9. I'd hope the course marshals are a bit more proactive on weekends! Cart girls were extremely attentive (made multiple rounds). Overall, it was a great experience and a very fair test of golf! I'd highly recommend making the drive out to Burleson to give it a shot!

SOGC

I do recommend this course. They have made a good deal of improvements over the years. It is also a tennis facility along with a restaurant onsite. Let's start with the golf carts; fast electric carts with tees, two towels, two sand bottles, two USB ports, a cooler, and a ball & club cleaner. No GPS. The tee boxes and fairways are in great shape. Most of the greens are in good shape with a few that have dead spots on and around the edges. The day I played they had a small piece of PVC pipe in the hole because of covid and no water cans, but they did have a refreshment cart making the rounds. The one recommendation I would make to the management team at SO would be to repair some of the cart paths, they are deterating and lack of replacement could see them get really bad. This and the greens is why I didn't give them a 5 star rating.

Nice course and natural view

Nice view around green and lay out, Good layout for anybody. who play well. Natural view and lots of trees make me feel so fresh air. try to go and play.

First time playing this course, I would say it has well kept fairways and greens. Fairways were fair, I liked the course layout it was like playing in the woods on the front nine and houses on the back nine. I would definitely play again.

Good improvements to this golf course

This golf course was improved greatly since my last play 2 years ago. The car path, manicuring and amenities look very nice. The pace of play was excellent. The greens are a little slow but in good conditions. I recommend it greatly. I am a 12 handicap and play even 80, good for me. Please try it.

Texas Advisor

Made the drive and it was worth the trip

Drove down to Burleson for the first time in a few years. I was rewarded with good conditions, fun golf, and a nice quick 18.

Greens were aerated a few weeks ago and not yet healed. Lots of hopping putts. Fairways were full and green. Bunkers were playable, but very soft - we had a few buried lies. A few tee boxes could use a trim. The course does sit in a floodplain and there are some muddy and/or bare areas. Still, it was a good course and a nice test of golf. Lots of room to hit driver and 3 reachable par 5's.

We saw roadrunners, turkeys, a snake, an armadillo and many other birds. The course is surrounded by more woods than houses, so it was nice to see the wildlife.

A very fair test. Enjoyed the 3:20 round a lot. I will be back to see how the greens come in.

Punched Greens

Yes the greens were punched recently, but in a couple weeks this course will be one of my favorites in the area. Fairways were in good shape, and the bunkers probably the best I’ve seen in the area. The rating of this course is hard, but off the tee box it’s open and forgiving. It’s difficult because your approach shot is what matters. Almost every green is guarded by bunkers, which I actually like because it challenges you to hit the right number. The bunkers aren’t a problem to get out of because they are in good condition, as I said before. I recommend this course. It was a bit steep since the greens were punched, but find yourself a price around $40-$50 and you’ll enjoy it!

Last thing for the club, the tee boxes were a little shaggy. They were in great condition, but they need to be cut.

Play it ...

You won’t be disappointed, and I offer that having played it the very week the greens were punched and sanded.
Very easy to project the course under optimal conditions. The fairways are well kept, tee boxes are large and varied, the track is mostly forgiving off the tee, and greens are protected by traps and mounds. Overall, it’s as long or as short (7265 to 5717) as you feel capable of playing.

Course is in good conditions. Greens are great. Very tall grass outside the cart paths. Some dry spots in fairways but hardly worth mentioning. Friendly cart girl.

Great Course. We ended up playing nine more after 18 holes. Will definitely be back

Southern Oaks

Still my favorite layout and becoming my go to course when ai have the opportunity to get a round in. Some holes are tight, some are wide open, and the Par 3’s are a challenge
Many selections off of the tee box, I prefer the Black, just in front of the Green Championship Tees

Best public golf experience in a long time

I'm from San Diego CA relocated in central DFW 1.5 years ago. Played many courses here that I've liked, including Cowboys, Bear Creek, and Tour 18, but this course to me has them all beat for a variety of reasons. SO is nestled in a lovely golf/tennis community reminiscent of palm springs, CA. Played here twice, last weekend and today. The pro shop attendants and beverage cart are very accommodating and friendly. Hard to beat $4 a beer. For the course, tee's to green are in great shape. Greens punched a few weeks ago so greens a little slow but with the undulations it's not a bad thing! As a single, paired with 3 other golfers and we had a great time both rounds I played. Course is definitely more tough than most because of tree and house lines fairways, as well as 6900 yards from the black tees, so you must be wise with club selection off the tee.

All in all, you'd be hard pressed to find a better course In north Texas. It's a country club vibe with a lot of community members playing everyday, but everyone I've met has been kind and well-mannered, not a lot of hackers out here too which makes for about a four hour round with NO Marshall! Love this place.

Best day of year for golf

Perfect day for golf. The course is in great shape other than the greens have recently been airated I would give 5 star once green get grown in.

Must Play

Third time I have olayed this course in 4 weeks. First time I have rated a couse this high during winter conditions. Love the staff, course layout and the fairways and greens are great. Wish the driving range was opened. Of the 3 times I have recently played this course, this was the longest round, weather was perfect and the course was full and we completed 18 holes in 3 hours and 40 minutes. my drive to play this 1 hour 10 minutes on average and will be paying again next week.

Must Play

Course was recommended so I checked GolfNow and found a great deal. Staff was great. Fairways were in excellent condition and never found one unrepaired divot on a green. Great layout with several tight holes, several elevated greens and holes with wide fairways. Did I mention the fairways were the best I have played all winter. Only reason I did not give all 5 stars was the driving range was closed for obvious reasons. This course is now on my course rotation. Played in 3 hours 20 minutes.

Burleson, Texas