Type Public/Municipal

Year Built 1922
Fairways 419 Bermuda Grass
Greens 328 Bermuda Grass
Architect Colligan Golf Design (2011)

Carts Yes - included in green fee

Great Dallas Public Course

Very enjoyable morning round at this venerable Dallas course. The course was in very good shape. There were 2 small areas on 2 greens that were under repair but it in now way degraded the golfing experience. My father-in-law came along and said it was his favorite public course that he had played in the Dallas area. Fun but still have to hit great shots to score. Complete round in just over 3 hours.

Greens are unplayable

Played Stevens park this past Sunday afternoon. we called and booked our tee time about a week in advance. When we got there the staff greeted us and were very friendly. After we paid they wanted to mention that the greens were having an off season so just be wary. we thought ok how bad could they be. I have played punched greens and fairly weedy greens before and still had fun. When we got to the first green we were astounded. It was hard sand mixed with dead bald grass. Hoping they would get better on some holes but they didn't. I really wish they would of told us this before we got to the course because it changed the whole round. I would advise not to play this course this year if you are trying to putt because the greens are unplayable at this time. Very un happy that we were notified after we showed up and paid. To their defense they did discount the green fee but in my opinion i still would of rather paid more to play somewhere else. I will not be back for at least another year to try this course again.

terrible greens

used to play this course all the time as it is always in good shape. It's been about a year and was sadly disappointed when we played it. The greens were all garbage. No grass on them. probably the worst greens i have ever played on. They charge full price which really is awful. Will not be playing this track again until they fix the greens.

Birmingham Advisor

Worth a round just for the tee shot on No. 15

Had time for one round in the DFW area while in town for a meeting. Glad I settled on this place.

Stevens Park sits within the confines of a charming neighborhood in the suburbs of Dallas. The surrounding homes are really interesting. This is a municipal course that doesn’t act like one, all the way down to the signature Rolex starter’s clock near the putting green.

The architectural quality also belies its municipal moniker. The redesign is brilliant. The variety of holes is noteworthy: a tough opening hole is followed by a gem of a short par four. That is followed by a 90-degree dogleg with a severe uphill approach. There is a good mix of short par 3s and medium length ones as well.

Though Stevens Park measures merely just over 6,200 from the tips, the yardage is deceiving. There are six par 3s, which makes the total look shortish on the card. Never have I played a 6,200-yard course that is landlocked with such a strong collection of par 5s. The first one - No. 6 - plays shorter than 500 yards and provides plenty of width off the tee. It’s the second shot, however, that makes it such an interesting hole. You will likely have 200+ into the green for your approach. There is a small stand of trees that divides the fairway near the green. You can either play right of them, but have to carry the ball far enough past them to receive the reward of an open approach into the green. The natural route is to the left of the stand, but there one will find a valley and a large bunker that demands a deft touch to get near a front pin placement. Number 10 is a fantastic hole that offers options off the tee. Bunkers dominate the landing area and a creek fronts the green, making going for the green in two risky and layups demanding in search of the two-tiered green. Number 16 is seemingly reachable if your drive avoids the fairway bunker down the left. Second shots will need to carry an 80-100-yard chasm that sets up an uphill wedge approach to a bunker again fronted by a large, deep bunker. Players will be tempted to go for for the green in two, but holding this green with that much club seems to me to be nearly impossible.

I really liked the square greens on a majority of the holes. They were grainy and quick. Fairways were a little thin due to all the recent rain the area has experienced, as well as it’s just the transition from winter into spring.

Putting and chipping greens available, as are two warm-up nets to hit into, as there is no driving range. Check your yardages with a rangefinder if you have one, as several of the yardages the on-cart GPS provided were grossly inaccurate.

The staff was very accommodating. I came straight from the airport and the pro shop attendant gladly stored my bags and travel case for me while I played.

Fun muni experience

Got out for a twilight round at Stevens Park, and I thoroughly enjoyed my round. Just outside downtown, it's a tight but interesting layout that features both back-to-back par 3s (Nos. 7 and 8) and back-to-back par 5s (Nos. 9 and 10). The yardage makes it seem shorter than it plays, with a total of 6 par-3s and a par of 70. Nos. 15 and 16 offer great views of the Dallas skyline. When I played it, the course was in good shape but the greens - most of which are square in shape for another distinct feature - were rolling slower than expected.

There are a couple holes where local knowledge helps in terms of knowing how the hole is routed, specifically the par-5 6th that features a steep drop off near the fairway, the par-5 10th that is tough to see despite an elevated tee box and the short par-4 13th that plays around a creek. There's not much margin for error off the tee, especially on the par-5 ninth that tips out over 600 yards from the back.

Overall it was a fun track in a unique setting, and one I'd definitely look to play again if in the area.

Might be my favorite municipal in Texas

It's hard to believe this is a municipal golf course. Quite frankly, it looks like a high-end country club and even though it was redesigned, it has a classic look. With hills and elevated tees and great views of the Dallas skyline, this is one enjoyable course. And while it's only 6,100 yards, it's plenty difficult, showing you don't have to have a 7,400-yard golf course to test good players.

Disaster!!!

Is this even the same course that I played last July? The last time I was here, the course was perfect, now it is a complete disaster! Maybe this is Dallas golf in the "winter"... Teeboxes destroyed. Greens terrible. Fairways hard with no grass. I wish someone else would have reviewed this course before I went and played, I would have stayed away! Hopefully this place comes around again soon or I will not ever again.

Maybe the Best Course I've ever Played

Only complaints: Got backed up on the back 9 (I don't think it was a big group or anything, just got backed up), no cartgirls on weekdays apparently, only two water fountains on the whole course (the one on the back nine tastes like pipe), Par 70 (6 par 3s) may turn some people off.

Pros: The holes are some of the most creative that I've played, the whole course was beautiful. It just had a very welcoming atmosphere, and the course just had a great charm to it. Well conditioned, skyline views on the back nine are incredible, and the whole course was awesome. It isn't terribly difficult (as in it's not going to punish you for good shots). Playing smart golf is vital to a good score here. There are plenty of elevation changes, and no two holes are really the same. Only thing I would've done differently is stock up on drinks so I wouldn't die in the 100 degree weather, and maybe played it at a different time where it wouldn't be so crowded (but that would've only made the weather factor worse.) Fantastic value, and a course you could take somebody you want to impress. I don't like using this term, but a real jewel of a course.

Short and sweet!

First time at Stevens Park. The course was in great shape, however the greens are still recovering from a recent punch. They were super slow on the front 9, but much faster on the back 9.
Now knowing the course, I'll shoot much better next time. There are a lot of dogleg holes which require nothing more than a 5 iron (for us long hitters). Elevated greens and water hazards crossing the fairways are a challenge - bring your range finder with slope! The GPS is decent, but way off when it comes to the slope.

FYI - there is no driving range here. Chipping, putting, and a hitting net are available.

My favorite muni

This is my favorite municipal course in the DFW area. Just a great layout and wonderful course to play. View of downtown from 15 tee box is fantastic.

What a View

For being in the city what great course and views of the city from some of the holes are just great. Will play this again when back in Dallas.

Good Dallas Muni

This is one of the more popular Dallas munis, due to the attractive location and quality of the course relative to several of the others.

The course is relatively short (6,000, par 70 from the men's tees), but it's fun - elevation changes, some tight fairways and you need to really control the ball. It's not a masher's course by any stretch.

It has 6 par 3s and 4 par 5s. The par 5s are rather long (3 over 500 yards), which makes several of the par 4s pretty short (6,000 yards total).

It's a nice course to walk and has some attarctive elevation changes, which is not common in Dallas.

No driving range makes this a good place to play first thing in the morning. For some reason, probably location, Dallas charges higher greens fees for Stevens Park and Tenison Highlands. Cedar Crest is a better value and just as good of an experience.

Texas Advisor

Stevens Park

The course has a lot of character. Played for the first time and was impressed. Strategic shot making is key for this track. There was no beverage cart so you may need to stock up at the clubhouse. Greens and bunkers are in excellent shape!

Dallas Advisor

Phenomenal!

I can't say enough good things about this course. I played on a Friday afternoon in the middle of summer and the course was still in great shape and played right at 4 hours. The greenskeepers take great shape of this course and know how to keep it in great shape year around. Not only is it a great course but it also provides one of the best views of downtown Dallas as a back drop. I would recommend this course to anyone who lives in or visits Dallas.

A must play course!

I played Tenison Highlands the day before and asked the young guy at the pro shop, if I only played one more round where should I play? Well, I'm glad I took his advice.

The course isn't long (I typically play 1 tee up at courses 6400-6700 yards), but it was still a great experience. It forced me to use a lot of different clubs and play more strategic.

I love the history and beauty of the course. The course is a must play in my book.

Impressed with Stevens Park

Was the opening round in our annual buddies golf tournament, we are in our 24th year, this year went to Dallas. Had read about the renovation and course got excellent marks in some of the different homework I did to choose courses. It did not disappoint. Greens had recently been sanded so still a lot of that on there, so that was a slight downer, but didnt disappoint too much.

Food and Bev was a little odd. So there was no food and beverage cart on the course until very late in the round. All of us who golf and like to have a couple pops on the course have read the "No outside food and beverage on the course" signs at pretty much in America, however these guys took it to a little bit of an extreme.

One of my playing partners day 1 had a soft cooler in his golf bag, he brings it in case a course (especially in a hot location like Dallas) doesnt have coolers, someone spotted it and confiscated it, even though it had nothing in it. He got it back after the round. They had little to no water coolers on the course, which on the summer in Dallas I found a little odd.

Course layout kind of unique, there are back to back par 3's, which is odd, but one thing I would say I would of like to of seen there is a variance, I think I hit the same club on both holes. There are some snapping dog legs so be careful not to drive through them.

Overall though, very much enjoyed the course. Would 100% play again if I was in the area.

Grand Prairie, Texas
Irving, Texas

Valid dates: Nov 15, 2019 - May 31, 2020
Conveniently located 20 minutes from the airport, the new We-Ko-Pa Resort & Conference Center features 246 contemporary guestrooms and suites designed with Native American traditions, bold Southwestern cuisine at Ahnala Restaurant, luxurious spa treatments and salon services at the Amethyst Spa and a spacious heated outdoor pool with two whirlpools.
From $1900