Laurel Hill Golf Club

Type Municipal
Laurel Hill Golf Club has some of the best conditions of any public course in the area, which is why it is popular amongst the locals. It is hard to believe that the club sits where the DC Department of Corrections facility at Lorton used to be located. The layout has a traditional design, but unlike older golf courses it runs a lengthy 7,102 yards from the back tees. The greens are lightning fast and undulating. There is defined contouring throughout the course, which allows for some interesting holes. Although the fairways are wide open they are still punishing towards errant shots. There are dramatic elevation changes throughout the golf course, making a flat lie nearly impossible to find. The course provides a formidable test for even the most seasoned players.
Scorecard for Laurel Hill Golf Club
Championship M: 74.6/146 471 365 452 188 524 500 321 240 565 3626 350 168 413 418 218 612 215 493 589 3476 7102
Black M: 74.1/145 445 365 452 188 524 500 321 240 528 3563 350 168 413 418 218 612 203 493 562 3437 7000
Blue M: 72.8/142 435 351 439 170 508 478 306 223 532 3442 345 149 401 405 212 587 185 446 538 3268 6710
White M: 71.4/139 419 344 423 148 486 447 289 209 502 3267 334 141 374 386 187 576 174 437 510 3119 6386
Gold M: 69.7/134 W: 75.1/143 413 335 403 130 474 418 278 194 491 3136 311 134 338 355 176 547 158 383 483 2885 6021
Red M: 65.2/124 W: 69.5/131 351 269 274 109 404 366 258 145 372 2548 279 119 237 332 98 493 125 342 441 2466 5014

Year Built 2005
Architect Bill Love (2005) Matt Lohmann (2013) Matt Lohmann (2005) Wadsworth Golf Construction (2005)

Dress code Proper attire is required. No tee-shirts, jeans, cutoffs or sandals.

• Golf Advisor: Top Courses in Virginia (2015 #9)

Plays Long 24

Laurel Hill GC

I have played here many times since it opened and like to walk for exercise. And I get plenty! The course is of championship quality, though many of the patrons are definitely muni players. I go through several bottles of divot mix each round, and my colleagues and I replace tons of divots, fix plenty of ball marks on the greens and rake plenty of bunkers during a normal round. The carelessness of some players detracts from an otherwise excellent experience. The key to a good experience here is to play the appropriate tees. Typical hackers should stay with the two forward tees (Red and Gold), and there should be no problem for mid-handicappers to play from the middle (White) tees. This would improve the pace of play quite a bit. I appreciate the starters and marshals who do their best to ensure an enjoyable experience for the patrons. I know for a fact that marshals will have people move up one or even two sets of tees. This helps everyone. I hear people complain about the rough. Well, the fairways are wide, and if you miss them you should be penalized! The greens were running nicely, though a bit soft from the recent rain. On a typical July day, they are quite fast, but with all the rain, they are a bit slower. We adjust. I read a reviewer complain about the cart girl having them pour out non-LHGC beer. That is a function of the Virginia ABC laws and license. Having patrons bring in their own alcohol puts LHGC at risk of losing its liquor license. The turkeys are now very active and once in a while I will see foxes, deer, hawks, ospreys and other wildlife. I wish the county would implement an aggressive goose management program throughout the system. The amount of goose poop on holes #16 and #18 is terrible. I will play here again, from a tee box that matches my ability.

My favorite course in the DMV

I love Laurel Hill. Its long, tough, and fun. I believe the 2014 Pub Links Championship was played there. The course has my number, but I keep coming back for more. A good round the always makes dinner taste better.

Good value

Played around 10am after 3 days of rain. Course was in good condition considering the amount of rain. some spots were still wet. cart path only. fastest round ive ever played (3 hours). greens rolled very fast. starter let us get out early in front of a group so that was a nice gesture. love playing here.

Great layout, USGA championship course

Public course with lots of play.

Course very well maintained. No complaints. Very generous fairways. Nice greens, tees and fairways.

Layout can be challenging. No surprises.

A bit pricey and there are others of equal quality at lower prices. Will play this many times in the future.

Tour quality tough!

Unlike the guy who reviewed the course below me from 7/24, the course on 9/24 was PERFECT. Laurel Hill hosted a Mid Atlantic AM event the weekend I played the course - we teed off after the event was over.

I'll say it again, the course was PERFECT. The greens were probably the fastest I've ever played on, EVER! Super high rough and trouble areas guard the fairways, giving this course a difficulty level of that of a US Open. Seriously, this place is awesome. Expensive $89.00 for a 1:47pm tee time on a Sunday afternoon, but worth it. The pin placement was supposed to be #1 that day, however NONE of the placements on the back 9 matched that of the scorecard. They were all over, one hole a 2, the next a 3, the following a 1 - no rhyme or reason to the placements - unless the AM event was given different pin sheets, these should have been provided to the golfers going out after the event. No way would I ever walk this course like I saw some people doing. The walks between holes and between tee box to fairway were long, hilly, and the path that takes you around would add miles to the whole round.

Losing Steam and Fast

2013 US Amatuer Public Links Championship course? You would never know it judging by the greens. I've played this course probably 50 times in the last 3 years, that's how much I like the layout, but I'm tried of the greens. I thought the greens being nicked up after the steam from the US pub am and everyone wanting to play it, would subside. I'm sort of sick and tired of the greens at this course. It is such a good course and layout for the middle of Fairfax, and it's being ruined. The greens look like they are poorly maintained. Granted I don't think people fix their ball marks enough but even still, the greens keeper and staff are suppose to go, everyday in the morning and before closing and look for that stuff and maintenance the green, and I'd be surprised if it happens more then once a week. The greens for the price are pathetic. I'm putting them on notice and calling them out. Their last few reviews are not that good either. You want to be a top tier course and charge top tier prices, then act like it. I think the county needs to sell it to a company who can better manage it because between the greens stinking, and some of the staff, no chance it continues its reputation.

Speaking of staff, not a fan. I have had the cart lady tell friends of mine to dump drinks out because they were not her drinks and from home. Where the blank am I'm playing golf? I've had some ups and downs with starters too, but overall they seem pretty nice, and good guys. But think about this, a cart lady made you dump a drink out. First off, I get it. She wants her money, and maybe it is not policy, fine. But this is suppose to be top golf course in the area, and they charge top price. Can you imagine the embarrassment if someone is trying to conduct business on a golf course with potential clients, and say you bring a nice bottle of alcohol to toast on the course, and then you get told to dump it out from the cart girl. She basically makes you look like a loser in front of people because she is mad people aren't buying drinks form her and she is not making money. I don't buy for one second she cares if your drinking or not, she sells alcohol. She is basically publicly humiliating you because you don't always play with people you know, or she is trying to show her power over you. She could, if she really wanted, come up to the person and privately and politely say, you can' t have that. All because why??? she needs money?!?! I dont get it! And the course lets her get away with it because it's the same lady everytime..pathetic! If they let that go, imagine what else is going on..check the greens and you'll see. Don't believe me, go play it and honestly tell me the green are good shape, you can't do it.

Truly is a shame and it's unfortunately probably just a matter of time till that land gets sold for housing units if they keep this up. I think twin lakes has better kept greens and both are county owned.

You want to be a big time course, act like it. otherwise we can start calling you Greendale 2

Nice course, too pricey

This course is in fairly good condition, but the price makes it outrageous. I believe the price is to make it seem like an even nicer club/course but it's overkill. If you are willing to spend upwards of an extra $40 per round then go for it. I think they put Fiji water in the water coolers lol. There are a couple other courses within the area with comparable course conditions for a fraction of the price! Nice course though.

David3352814
Commented On 11/06/2017

Curious what courses you think are just as good for $40 less. I want to play them.

Great everything

Pricey but this course is outstanding! Two thumbs up!!

Great course for the money. Bad attitudes inside the clubhouse.

Employee that took my money never said anything except "you using Visa" lazy and bad attitude carried on to the grille where the young man never looked up and was just rude. The outside services men were awesome!! They talked about the course and offered help and were just a pleasure to deal with. The cart lady was also nice and you could tell she wanted to do a good job. Great course and lousy inside help make this round good. I would definitely like to play this course again without the bad attitudes inside.

nice course rude staff

The public county course is nice. They try to make it like a private country club and price it that way. Unlike a private country club, the staff are not nice. They are rude and nasty. I go there and three times I had a bag of practice balls for the warmup green and they ask me if I stole the bag from them. I was told I could not use nike warm ups in winter due to "collar shirt rule", even though i asked on the phone. Cannot park cart on edge of grass or you will get yelled at. don't go there. I wont anymore.

Not Consistent Value

I've played this course many times and the layout is great but it's consistently overpriced for what they deliver. May be because it is a county course, but $80 in December? Ridiculous. Greens ok, but rough very chewed up, especially around greens. For $80 need some amenities. No water on course, no beverage cart - not a big deal, but don't charge premium rate if your not going to deliver a premium product. Some guys that work there are great, others are rude and have no clue about customer service. Act like they are doing you a favor letting you play there. Discounts on this course hard to find but my suggestion is play the course if you don't have to pay full rate.

Not worth a Hungy

All in all, this course is typically more forgiving to the player that needs room left and right. Greens often run fast to very fast and are reasonably well maintained but show use. Green side areas are to be expected, fairways are good, not exceptional, and tee boxes aren't worth mentioning.

The course is a mix of short and long P4's, the same for P3's and typical P5's all with a smattering of elevation changes. Nothing truly amazing unless your a BIG hitter and can reach the P4 #7 from the tee.

For a weekend end prime time rate of $99.00 this course is hardly a good deal unless all you want is a course you have never played before.

Recommend off hours and off season play.

Great Course and well kept!

Ok, I played this on July 4th, but just got around to review it (too busy playing golf maybe). The greens were great, staff was terrific! First I thought they were stalking me, but just wanted to see how well we liked the course, since we mentioned it was our first time there. I would go back again, and again, even if I have to drag my crew there! We hate the traffic going south on I-95 from Prince Georges County, but it was well worth it and didn't take us more than 45 minutes. Clubhouse is nice too! Fairways were wide enough to contain my slice!

Nice course in a great shape.

Play here a few times a year. Always a good experience. A very nice layout and conditions have been great this year.

One of the best I've played in Northern Va.

Incredible coarse... This coarse is very well maintained even in the dead of winter. If it wasn't so wet at some spots due to melting snow, it felt like cheating when taking advantage of winter rules on such well taken care of grass. It has some incredibly challenging and unique holes, so if it's your 1st time out at LAUREL HILLS and your used to hitting from the long tees, you'd be wise to tee off the whites. If you are a good and consistent golfer, I highly recommend you putting this coarse on your things to do list after a great drive... ... whether from long, medium, or short distance away, it'll be worth the effort!

Winter golf fun

Course was in great shape even though we are in the middle of winter. The greens rolled great but was somewhat slow, might have been b/c we were out the day after a rain storm. Overall great course but only worth it if you catch a GolfNow hot deal.

Local residents should try it at least once

Good value on the Hot Deal, Not sure I would pay full price on a regular basis. Great experience for a county-owned course. Wide fairways, some challenges, but nothing too punishing. Well maintained.

Laurel Hills

Always a great play but especially with a Golf Now discount. I have never had to pay full rate at this great course thanks to the Golf Now site!!!!!!!!

Beautiful course

I would suggest to everyone go play the course It is difficult but I suggest you take the challenge.

Lorton, Virginia