Magnolia Green Golf Club

• 17301 Memorial Tournament Drive , Moseley, Virginia 23120
  • www.magnoliagreengolfclub.com

Year built: 2010
Architect(s): Tom Clark (2010), Nicklaus Design (2010)
Type: Semi-Private
Fairways: Bermuda Grass

Credit cards accepted: Yes

Location is in the 'burbs worth the drive   Great for advanced golfers locals entertaining clients   Challenges include undulating greens bunkers elevation changes

"Dead Zone"

steelerfann86's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/29/2018
Previously played Used cart Wet weather

The course was unplayable. ALL the greens & fairways were dead!!! No mention of this when booking, no discount, no free replay NOTHING!!! Stay away until next spring.

"Great overall experience!"

golfisgreat1234's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/06/2018

This was my first time playing Magnolia Green and I walked off the 18th hole with a 5 star experience. The clubhouse is newly built and includes a spacious golf shop and large dining area. The course was very playable yet strategic and required you to think before every shot. What club to hit, where to place it, etc. The Greens were difficult, yet fair and called for precise iron play. I was a single and played in 3.5 hours. The staff was incredibly friendly. I recommend this course to anyone who's in the Richmond area looking for a fun golf challenge!

"Bad shape"

Dan7367812's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/22/2018

This has always been one of my favorite courses to play here in Richmond. Between the lack of rain and heat the greens and fairways are in real bad shape. No reason that they should be charging the rates based upon these conditions.

Course Layout: Poor

"Great Experience"

vaughnre's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/17/2018

Very challenging layout, well bunkered on every hole, including fairways on par 4s & 5s

Super friendly staff, excellent clubhouse, good value

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/14/2018

"Challenging course but very fun"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/14/2018

This course is very challenging but definitely a fun play. In my opinion it's the best in the area. Their customer service is very top notch as well. Golfnow decided to cancel our tee time 20 minutes before we were supposed to tee off for no reason at all. Even on a busy day they were able make room for us. A+ course and A+ staff. We will definitely be playing again.

"Looking Forward To Better Playing Conditions"

MizunoBen's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/01/2018

*This is an updated review. For more thoughts on this course, see my full review from 3/7/18*

It didn’t take long for me to re-visit Magnolia Green GC after playing my first round here a month ago. While I wasn’t having to rush myself to finish before dark this time, I still don’t feel like this course has shown me its best side. The dormant grasses and minimal maintenance definitely takes away a bit from the overall experience, though this remains one of the best layouts in the area.

While it’s fair to point out that many courses in the area are in equally sub-par condition, I do have higher expectations for this course based on the greens fees and the reputation it has built. The bunkers are messy, the greens are getting bumpy, and there are several large areas of the rough (and even fairways) that are GIR or should be marked as such.

The service here remains top-notch with a very helpful starter and my first sighting of the year of a beverage cart girl.

My hope is that with some April rains in the forecast and warming temps, the maintenance crew will have more to work with in getting the course back in shape. For now, it’s just ok.

Kevin7884321's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/18/2018

"A Unique Design And A Healthy Challenge"

MizunoBen's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/06/2018
First time playing Used cart Wet weather

If you talk to any local here that’s played Magnolia Green Golf Club, you’ll almost certainly be told a version of the story of how Jack Nicklaus designers were hired to construct the back nine to complete this course and then not invited back to renovate the front nine. But what this course lacks in total fairness and continuity, it gives up nothing to beauty and a unique challenge that will have you coming back.

On the day I played it was quite rainy and I was chasing daylight most of my round, so my views on pace-of-play and of the last few holes are only partially formed. Although it was just myself and one other single on the entire course, the course still had a starter on hand to give me a good overview of the course and what to expect. And while it rained off and on throughout my round, there were never any soggy areas; the course drains very, very well.

As for the layout itself, there is no question the front nine is easier on the nerves while the back nine is arguably easier on the eyes. Wide open and inviting fairways eventually give way to narrower ones with bunkers placed right where you don’t want them. It’s a bit of a mind game though as they are fairly easy to avoid if you focus on the task at hand.

The greens are the real story though. Yes, the back nine greens are smaller and more heavily tiered and contoured, but the front nine’s aren’t exactly Fazio-style either. You’ll be challenged throughout your round to get not only direction and shape correct with your approach shots but distance too. Shots that find the front of the green (and even occasionally the center) don’t hold. If you want to hone your chipping skills, this is the course to do it; you’ll get quite a bit of practice. In terms of conditioning (again, early March here), my only complaint is the clumpiness of the fringe around the greens, which really rears its ugly head when you’re forced to land so many chips and pitches short of the putting surface.

Strategy plays a heavy hand here as well. I found multiple holes where landing left of the green guaranteed me of bogey or worse. Other holes are really much more enjoyable if you leave the driver in the bag. While there are a few blind shots I never found myself tricked by the layout, even though I had nothing to guide me along the way.

The dormant rough and painted Bermuda fairways don’t give justice to this course’s beauty. A quick google search will show you this is perhaps the prettiest golf course in the area, and I eagerly await the arrival of spring to see it in all its glory.

This is only my initial thoughts of this course and now that I live just down the street from it, I’ll have plenty more opportunities to form a more complete opinion of Magnolia Green. It probably says something that I’m looking forward to my next round here.

"Need more daylight"

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/25/2018

Great course and great price for the round. Ran out of daylight due to the pace of play and couldn't finish the last 3 holes.

"Worth the drive from DC"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 12/14/2017
First time playing Used cart Cold weather Verified Purchaser

My buddy and I drove 2 hours to play MG and could not have been happier. Enjoyed southern hospitality from the staff the moment we got out of our car. Beautiful, challenging but fair course, excellent condition. Greens were in amazing shape for December. What a deal we got! We'll come back.

"Challenging!"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/28/2017

I played this course for the first time a week prior to this and will be playing it a third time next week, it's that good! Even dormant the fairways are great, the greens are as receptive as they possibly can be, and the bunkers are being kept well. Many of the greens are false front and shots to one far side or the other often roll off and down into one of those well kept bunkers. The course is pretty wide open off the tee boxes, good for confidence which you'll need when your short game is challenged. I can't say enough how impressed I am with this course and the staff, but the fact I drive 83 miles just to play it should I guess. I certainly hope they keep their great deals with GolfNow going next season so I can continue putting all those miles on my car hahaha. Great course!

"A Gem in Mosley"

Fugaizi's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/02/2017

This course is one of the very best in the Richmond Virginia area. There are no cookie cutter holes on this course and every hole will challenge you to make a shot. There are four sets of tees so you should be able to find a tee box that will suit your game well. I play from the green tee box which is one up from the tips. This provides a fantastic challenge without being too severe. Fairways are wide and fair and greens are always quick to fast. the staff and new clubhouse are super nice and most will find the experience a rewarding excursion, regardless of where you are coming from. I highly recommend this course to anyone looking to challenge themselves. I'll definitely be back again and again.

Robert5930389's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/27/2017

"Great Nichlaus Layout"

birdieman601's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/14/2017

Son and I played here on a long weekend trip. Played with two great members from Magnolia Greens. This was a typical Nicklaus influence with some difficult greens and bunkering, but very playable. Greens were not as fast as we liked but very smooth and puttable. Layout was very nice with different holes that were not overly tough. Had a problem with getting to the driving range which was a mile away. That will rectified when the clubhouse is finished in about 2 weeks. It looks absolutely great from the outside. Would definitely play again if in the area. Only problem I see is that in my honest opinion, the greens were a little more than I think the course should be. $55.00 would be a fair price. I understand why they charge what they do now. Thanks again for a wonderful day of golf!!

"Good layout"

Bombtech6316's avatar
Virginia Advisor

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/23/2017

After reading all the rave reviews my friend and I went to check out Magnolia and we were not disappointed for the most part. The new clubhouse is almost finished which will elevate this course for sure. The staff was super friendly from bag drop, to check in, to the driving range attendant. The course conditions were awesome for late September with fairways that had some run and greens that putted true. We teed off at 740 so as the morning wore on the greens got faster as we have had no rain in the area lately. The course has 5 tee boxes to match your game. The bunkers were in great shape and the rough was fair. The value for the money leaves something to be desired though as it was 76.00 for the round with a small bag of range balls. I have played other courses in the Central Virginia area that were far cheaper and just as nice if not nicer than Magnolia. I will be back but only during the mid week when rates are a little more reasonable.

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/20/2017

"Best in RVA"

stephen248's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/12/2017

Magnolia Green is the best public course in Richmond. Yep, I said it. Challenging layout on a surprisingly good piece of land. Undulating greens and bunkers framed by long, native grasses are some of the highlights. Plus, the staff is friendly and accommodating. A place every golfer in the area needs to check out.

"PGA for amateurs"

Myron2013's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/13/2017

This has to be one of the hardest courses that I've ever played and also the most fun that I've ever had. If you think you have the chops to make it on the PGA you have to play this course I played from the blue tees which are the members tees, if you can't carry the ball 280 plus (and straight) don't even think about the green tees. The fairways are wide but slopes and sand make you choose every shot. The rolling fairways and undulations in the greens are ridiculous. Sand traps every where, uneven lies, false fronts, false rears, backstops, I believe the best PGA professionals​would have a hard time here.

Commented on 07/03/2017

Thank you so much for playing our club. I'm glad you had a good time and look forward to having you back out soon!

"Somewhat Disappointing"

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/26/2017

Okay - so I've heard a lot of good things about this place, so i decided to take a Friday afternoon off and check it out. Disappointing to say the least. Yes, i understand they're building a new clubhouse, and yes, housing construction can make things somewhat chaotic, however these things shouldn't be used as an excuse to cover up course deficiencies. Lack of clear directions to range and 1st hole tee-off caused me to drive around aimlessly for a while in my cart... "check in with the starter" i was told, but that proved to be very difficult as it wasn't entirely clear where he could be found - he found me teeing off on No. 1 - "always check in with the starter" (if you can find him! LOL)...greens and fairways were sub-par... pre-Made sandwiches for sale at the clubhouse - lousy. Skip this course as there are much better courses in the area.

Commented on 07/03/2017

Thank you for your feedback. I'm sorry that you did not enjoy our course. While I respectfully disagree with you regarding course conditions, I do empathize with the long and somewhat confusing drive to the first tee. The new clubhouse will be open in October and the food will be spectacular!