The Highland Course At Primland Resort

Black/Red 72 6771 yards 74.9 147
Blue (W) 72 6013 yards 75.7 142
Green (W) 72 5166 yards 72.1 134
Scorecard for The Highland Course
Black M: 75.1/150 536 195 499 149 357 541 494 220 342 3333 463 418 205 612 160 391 426 561 484 3720 7053
Black/Red M: 74.9/147 509 177 499 149 357 503 464 193 342 3193 427 418 180 575 160 391 426 536 465 3578 6771
Red M: 72.5/143 509 177 473 135 328 503 464 193 315 3097 427 369 180 528 147 336 391 536 439 3353 6450
Blue M: 70.5/139 W: 75.7/142 473 177 463 126 328 456 434 175 305 2937 382 361 143 480 136 329 367 511 367 3076 6013
Green W: 72.1/134 432 120 362 106 305 435 392 104 214 2470 346 310 119 427 118 291 335 457 293 2696 5166

Year Built 2006
Golf Season Year round. Weather permitting
Architect Donald Steel (2006) Tom MacKenzie (2006) Martin Ebert (2006)

Carts Yes - included in green fee

Incredible Course!

This course is absolutely amazing. I have played many of the top 100 courses in the US, and this one is as good as any I have played.

This is the week they aerated the greens, that resulted in a much lower cost of play, but also some untrue and uneven rolls.. completely understandable and we expected this. Perfectly acceptable!

The fairways are beautiful, well cared for and lush. Sand traps were well cared for and fair. The views are amazing on each hole on this beautiful mountain course.

Pace of play for us was fine. We were a twosome playing behind a 4some, so we expected to play slow. Someone from the club house even drove out to see if we were happy with the pace. GREAT Touch, impressive customer service. I'm sure if we wanted they would have asked the 4 some if we could play thru. We were perfectly happy to play at this pace and enjoy the course and the views. Made for a perfect round of golf.

Most of the staff were amazing. I am a graduate of Disney University on Customer Service so I understand and recognize good customer service. The staff that greets you as you pull in were friendly and accommodating. Check in was excellent, again the guys were friendly and very helpful. The range guy was exceptionally friendly and answered all our questions. (thank YOU!)

But... evidently the Starter missed the session on offering good customer service. He was our only NEGATIVE experience. He hardly made eye contact with us, he was rude and mumbled out instructions when we were on the first tee. He stood behind us and he gave instructions. We even had to ask some clarifying questions i.e. pin placement, he wasn't clear and it was like we were a bother to him. Not near as friendly and helpful as the guys at the range. At most great courses the starter is the face of the golf course, he can send you off with a great experience and some tips that can make your round great, or in this case, we felt like we were playing at a $25 public course. When we made the round after 9, we were looking for the 10th tee we stopped and as he passed in his cart we were asking for directions, he didn't even stop while shouting out instructions. He was clearly the anomaly. If my staff friendliness rating was based on the Starter it would be 1 star. Our only bad experience to nearly perfect day of golf.

Thank you Primland for and overall great day!

As good as golf gets

This mountain course is pristine, very scenic, very fun, and not very forgiving (just hit another if you stray from the short grass, because you'll never find balls off the mown areas!

You'll do some walking up and down even from the cart path to the greens. Glad I got to experience this course.

Beautiful Golf Course

The golf course and layout was indeed beautiful. I do have to agree with the 2 star review that the course plays extremely difficult and did detract somewhat from my enjoyment - notably, I had too many 3-putts because the green speed was inconsistent from hole to hole. This meant a lot of double bogeys because the par 4's and par 5's were a bit long for the average woman and I don't enjoy double bogeys. It would be recommended to move up the tees on some of the holes for the ladies. All the staff were very friendly and professional. I would say that the pricing is a bit high even though the course is indeed special.

True Moutain Golf

What you’re expecting is not going what you’re going to get. It’ll be better. This is true mountain golf, sitting on top of a mountain that takes 15 minutes to drive up. Stunning views on almost every hole. The blue ridge mountains do not disappoint.

The greens were glass, they rolled them before I played. Even though they were aerated they still rolled fairly true. Fastest aerated greens I’ve ever played that’s for sure. The golf course was tough, but many chances at birdie with 5 par 5’s and a few short par 4s. Very good par 3’s.

If you’re coming from the North and let’s say youre drving down to Pinehurst on i77. Take the extra hour detour, stop, and enjoy this hidden gem. You won’t regret it. I will be back that’s for sure.

Amazingly impressive, but not quite for me

I'll give Primland credit, they have successfully gone all out on every aspect of this resort. From the time you get out of your car, every staff member is exceedingly friendly and helpful. The views are extraordinary; make sure you hit at least one junk ball into what looks to be a thousand foot drop off of the 18th tee. The course itself could not be in better condition, especially the greens. The food in the restaurant is the best golf course food I've ever had, but of course you will pay for it.

Still, this course wasn't totally for me. While I love mountain golf, with its elevation changes and optical illusions, I like the old school style of smaller greens. These greens are just entirely too large. Putting GPS on the carts would be really helpful, as the size of the greens makes it impossible to be precise with your approach distances. When each third of the green can be 20 yards deep (or more!), you're more likely to hit it close because you were lucky, not because you were good.

I haven't played a course outside of Scottsdale that was in as pristine condition as Primland, and I could probably be talked into going back. But I wouldn't go out of my way to do so, as it's not a course that will reward you for playing well.

Beautiful

Primland is a beautiful place to play golf. The course tee boxes and fairway grass was very nice. The greens were smooth and true but not quite perfect, which you expect that the price points they demand. The valet at the entrance was nice, the pro shop attendants as well. The practice range was on mats, disappointing, but fine. The short game area was good but didn't notice the practice green until making the turn; apparently practiced putting on the chipping green. The course appeal is the location. The elevation change, overlooks, and contours make this place a must experience. It can be quite tight at locations so you really need to be able to control your ball. The places you can't miss are drastic for sure.

The course was beautiful and built for your camera. Very playable and score-able for above average golfers; could be frustrating for some and make sure to choose the appropriate tee boxes. I loved it, would love to play again, although I don't believe the course itself is worth the $220 price tag. It just doesn't have the perfect grass that price demands, close, but not quite.

Birmingham Advisor

Autumn golf at it's best

I had long targeted this course as one I wanted to check off my list, but I had no idea what a phenomenal course this is. First, undoubtedly the Highland Course at Primland would be a great round any time of year. There are two reasons, however, that I recommend this as a fall play: 1) The color of the foliage in November was absolutely stunning. Some of the most fantastic pictures I've ever taken on a golf course occurred today. 2) the rate drops beginning in November, making it an excellent value at $125. I have played many of the courses that occupy spots at the top of the "Top 100 lists," but I have no reservation saying this is in my top 10 personally. Seemingly every hole has a vista that at times makes concentrating on actually playing golf difficult. The course rests on the ridge of a mountain. Once you pass through the entrance gate to Primland it is 6 miles along the ridge line to the lodge and course. I thought the shot value of the course was phenomenal, from the par-5 1st hole - an excellent opening hole - to the par-3 8th. Exhilarating. Fairways were generous. Greens are very large, but not overly undulating. Never saw another player the entire day, despite mid-50s temperatures.

Beautiful day at Primland

High end experience had been wanting to do for some time. Got lucky as a friend got 125$/player package and offered us 4 slots. Not sure i would have paid 250$ to play.

Reception on arrival was fast and excellent. Staff very friendly. Practice facilities were first rate.

The course was beautiful. Many tough holes and you need to be accurate. If you are off the fairways forget the ball and tee up a new one. As a 18 handicap and at 72 the blue tees were all we could handle at 6000 yards.

Would love the chance to play it again .

The greens were super fast and we all had a difficult time reading the greens and the breaks.

Amazing

Plenty of room considering the course is built on the side of the mountain . Course was wide open and did not have to wait on a single hole . Will be coming back soon .

Amazing Course

Primland is a phenomenal place. Everything from the service at the valet, to the service from the golf staff is top notch. They make everyone feel like a VIP guest. The course is unreal. Be sure to hit the fairway though because there isn't much room between lush fairway and knee high grass. Only downside, and it's not really a downside, is that you are so caught up in your surroundings that you don't realize how slow you're playing until you finish. We had 3 players, all of whom are under 10 handicap, and it took us almost 5 hours. No question, this is one of the best courses I've ever played.

Laurel Fork, Virginia