Providence Golf Club in Richmond has a rich and unique history. The original location along the Pocoshock Creek closed in 1985 but the property and an adjacent parcel of land were then bought by a new development company. The additional land was used for six new holes while the original property now has longer and more spacious holes. The golf course then had another redesign in 2002 that was overseen by Virginia native Lester George, who is known for designing the highest ranked golf course in the state, Kinloch Golf Club. Providence G.C. wanders through a beautiful landscape of towering trees and wetlands. George utilized these natural features to create a number of risk-reward opportunities throughout the course. The golf course finishes with a risk-reward hole that is heavily guarded by both bunkers and a creek.

Providence Golf Club

Year Built 2002
Architect Lester George (2002)

Clubhouse

Good course, fast greens, wish it was a few bucks less

I hadn’t played the course in years but I was really pleasantly surprised by the course conditions. The greens were in great shape AND FAST, and the rest of the course was well appointed too. I will def play again, but as mentioned in the title I wish their rates were a little lower.

Not bad...

I was actually a little disappointed in this course because I had heard it was as good as Magnolia green and Royal New Kent, but it's not. I did have a good day though because it was a beautiful landscape!

Flags on greens

I love the layout. Doglegs left and right. Tee boxes meet all skill players needs. If you like shots over water even after a great tee shot, you got it. One thing this course could do is show distance to hazards, ie. small creeks that run across the fairways and not knowing they were there, I incurred penalty strokes do to a good dtive. The last item is the sponges around the pin flags. A cup is a little over 4 inches, so WHY put a 2 3/8 inch sponge around the flag stick at the bottom? I had 6 putts that went over the hole but missed the sponge. Put a 4 inch sponge to hit if your goal is to protect players from getting the virus. Nice idea, but very frustrating, indeed.
Hat

Fast greens bare fairways

Greens were pretty smooth and quite fast and hard to judge. Too many unrepaired ball marks. The sand traps could definitely use some attention. The fairways were kind of bare considering the rain and nice weather we have had. Pace of play slowed down a lot on the back 9. I still don't think I have ever hit from the grass on the range.

Bargain Deal

Played this course with a free golf pass code and couldn’t have been happier. Challenging from 6500 at the tips. Par 5s are reachable in 2, par 3s are long and challenging. Couple of large and deep bunkers around the greens can be devastating. One of the best valued courses in the richmond area.

A Decent Course For The Right Price

I've played here a few times and continue to have mixed feelings on this course.

Let's start with the positives and for today, the biggest plus was the conditions, in particular the greens which were rolling very fast and smoothly. This made for an extra challenge but a delight as well as this time of year you often find a lot of greens in rough shape.

The other positive is that I scored much better than my previous tries, mainly because I've learned how to play some of the trickier holes.

This Lester George design isn't my favorite and there are some pretty funky holes like the par-5 12th that will make you scratch your head. At least it's not a boring course.

Pace of play wasn't too bad, especially considering the weather but the absence of a marshal was certainly felt. Otherwise the staff is pretty friendly here, especially the guy in the pro shop that gave me a ride back down to the first tee.

Nice layout

My 2nd time playing and I'll definately come back.

In town for Business and had time for 1 round of golf. The Providence was close so I played there. Was originally going to play Birkdale but they did not have rental club! :( Shame on them) The course was in great shape, not resort condition but for the price it was great. The layout was challenging. I talked to 2 different players who told me the course was making a comeback with a new Superintendent. The staff was friendly and the green fees very reasonable. My only complaint was the rental clubs, they were old King Cobra and the bags were very old. I played 27 holes, the front nine I was getting use to the clubs and distances. The back nine I played well so I payed a replay fee to replay the front and for old clubs I shot under my handicap. I recommend this course to all around and anyone coming to Richmond for a visit.

Noticeable Improvements Means Better Value

I played here a couple times last year when I first moved into the area. I was unimpressed with the conditions of the course for the price you pay, especially during the week. This time it was a weekend and the twilight rate with cart was actually less than many of the alternatives that were further away so I thought I’d give Providence another chance and I’m glad I did.

Despite perhaps the best weather of the year crowding the course, I had a very good experience overall. The course conditions were much improved over last year with nice even grass in the fairways and smooth greens. Bunkers were in great shape and no complaints about the tees or rough as well. Definitely a big improvement over last year in terms of conditions.

This improvement allowed me to better appreciate the Lester George design of the course, especially the back nine that I had only played once. There’s a good variety of holes that will make you use every club in your bag. There are plenty of hazards throughout but none that I found unfair. The greens aren’t fast and don’t have a lot of break to them but making putts is still challenging. A sign of a good layout is an urge to go back the next day and play it again and I’m definitely feeling that way today.

Fun course, lots of risk/reward

Providence Golf Club is a really fun layout. Those who crave punishment from only the most difficult of courses probably won't see it they way I did. This course however is not to be missed. A great collection interesting holes, full of shot-shaping and risk/reward opportunities. The course conditions were what I expected coming out of a wet winter, a few soft spots but no balls were plugging. Greens had recently been aerated but the maintenance staff had done a wonderful job sanding them and they rolled true even still. Played the tips, though only 6500, the design made me think before pulling driver (something I think every course should do). Played after twilight so for $26 this was a marvelous value. I'd play here again and again. Can't wait to play it after its grown back in.

Conditions Have Only Gotten Worse

*This is an updated review. For more thoughts on this course, see my full review from 3/23/18*

While playing a full 18 holes improved my opinion on the design of Providence Golf Club, the poor conditions and relatively high price means I’m in no hurry to play here again.

First, let’s start with the positives and that means correctly my last review on this course where I downplayed the course design. I had only played the front nine then and after playing both halves of the course now I admit there are quite a few interesting and beautiful looking holes in the layout. There’s a lot more elevation change on the back nine, more water hazards, and tighter fairways. Not hitting the ball straight off the tee can leave you blocked out on many holes, so keep that in mind.

But the main change to report here is the conditions of the course. For the $46 twilight rate I paid, they were truly awful. The aerated greens are finally starting to recover but the tee boxes and fairways looked like they hadn’t been mowed in weeks. It took me and my playing partner some time on a few of the tee boxes to find grass short enough to tee up for a driver. Often times it was difficult to determine if I was in the fairway or rough. Many of the bunkers looked unkempt as well. I know that the winter has been rough and the grass is still growing in but you can’t charge premium fees and leave the course to “grow in” like this. Speaking of grass, I counted at least three different types in the fairway alone, all growing at different lengths.

And that brings me to value. I am a value golfer, I don’t pay more than $40 for a round unless it’s a course I feel offers a good value even for the higher price. If I had tee’d off an hour before, it would have been $62, which is approaching the price bracket of Independence and they would never allow conditions like this. You simply aren’t getting what you paid for here. I’ll stick to the GolfNow courses in the area that offer a better experience for less.

An Average Course For The Average Golfer

In an area that has no scarcity of great golf courses, Providence Golf Club is a modest member. It may not wow you with exotic course design or immaculate conditions or world-class service, but you won’t pay for those omissions either.

The course layout is inviting for the average golfer with wide open fairways on many holes and plenty of places to bail out or lay up if need be. That’s not to say the course lacks its challenges, as forced carries, water hazards, and other trouble are aplenty but this course isn’t going to beat you up.

The conditions for mid March aren’t far off others in the area and that’s to say as bad as you’re likely to see the rest of the year. That’s less a criticism and more an acknowledgement that without growing grass, there’s only so much you can do to make the place look nice and play well. The greens roll relatively smoothly and the bunkers are clean. Fairways are generally in good shape, the tee boxes have seen better days, but again, that’s expected.

The price for my nine holes of $27 seemed slightly high for this time of year but it’s not a bad value, especially in this area. I didn’t have much time to take note of the amenities off the course but don’t expect TPC out here, this is more of a muni level course.

I left not so much unimpressed with Providence as just lacking an impression at all. It’s ok, it gets the job done. It’s not flaunting anything because it doesn’t have much to flaunt, and sometimes that’s ok.

Good Design

I like this course. It is in decent shape for a daily-fee track and it maintains a good pace of play all around. It is not a very easy course to walk, but it is a fun and challenging course. My favorite hole, the 18th is a 515-yard par 5 that features an absolute beautiful bunker on your left. It covers nearly 30 yards and is the true definition of a hazard. It is reachable in two, but you must carry wetlands in order to reach the putting surface. Now, this course is not cheap. For 18 holes it is over $60 and it is not quite on the level of Independence rather closer to Hunting Hawk.

A Nice Day!

My wife and I (ages 58 & 60) played 6/24/15 when it was clear and 102 Degrees with the heat index. Heat/sun doesn't bother us. We were quite impressed with the course - fairways and greens were the best we've seen lately, and we've played a lot of nice courses. Kudos to staff for their grounds work! Course challenging, and worth the price for the upkeep they have maintained.

Soggy but fun

Course was very wet . Water standing in numerous traps and greens very choppy . Nice layout and tees and fairways good shape. Is a busy course, so periodic waits, but really did move well today. Only issue is that it is little expensive when compared to other venues. Brickshire, Viniterra and brookwoods little of a drive , but for the money more challenging and in better shape. If live Chesterfield and want to play close to home then this is the place.

Valid dates: May 05, 2020 - Dec 31, 2020