Providence Golf Club in Richmond has a rich and unique history. The original location along the Pocoshock Creek closed in 1985 but the property and an adjacent parcel of land were then bought by a new development company. The additional land was used for six new holes while the original property now has longer and more spacious holes. The golf course then had another redesign in 2002 that was overseen by Virginia native Lester George, who is known for designing the highest ranked golf course in the state, Kinloch Golf Club. Providence G.C. wanders through a beautiful landscape of towering trees and wetlands. George utilized these natural features to create a number of risk-reward opportunities throughout the course. The golf course finishes with a risk-reward hole that is heavily guarded by both bunkers and a creek.

Year Built 2002
Greens Bentgrass
Architect Lester George (2002)

In town for Business and had time for 1 round of golf. The Providence was close so I played there. Was originally going to play Birkdale but they did not have rental club! :( Shame on them) The course was in great shape, not resort condition but for the price it was great. The layout was challenging. I talked to 2 different players who told me the course was making a comeback with a new Superintendent. The staff was friendly and the green fees very reasonable. My only complaint was the rental clubs, they were old King Cobra and the bags were very old. I played 27 holes, the front nine I was getting use to the clubs and distances. The back nine I played well so I payed a replay fee to replay the front and for old clubs I shot under my handicap. I recommend this course to all around and anyone coming to Richmond for a visit.

Noticeable Improvements Means Better Value

I played here a couple times last year when I first moved into the area. I was unimpressed with the conditions of the course for the price you pay, especially during the week. This time it was a weekend and the twilight rate with cart was actually less than many of the alternatives that were further away so I thought I’d give Providence another chance and I’m glad I did.

Despite perhaps the best weather of the year crowding the course, I had a very good experience overall. The course conditions were much improved over last year with nice even grass in the fairways and smooth greens. Bunkers were in great shape and no complaints about the tees or rough as well. Definitely a big improvement over last year in terms of conditions.

This improvement allowed me to better appreciate the Lester George design of the course, especially the back nine that I had only played once. There’s a good variety of holes that will make you use every club in your bag. There are plenty of hazards throughout but none that I found unfair. The greens aren’t fast and don’t have a lot of break to them but making putts is still challenging. A sign of a good layout is an urge to go back the next day and play it again and I’m definitely feeling that way today.

Fun course, lots of risk/reward

Providence Golf Club is a really fun layout. Those who crave punishment from only the most difficult of courses probably won't see it they way I did. This course however is not to be missed. A great collection interesting holes, full of shot-shaping and risk/reward opportunities. The course conditions were what I expected coming out of a wet winter, a few soft spots but no balls were plugging. Greens had recently been aerated but the maintenance staff had done a wonderful job sanding them and they rolled true even still. Played the tips, though only 6500, the design made me think before pulling driver (something I think every course should do). Played after twilight so for $26 this was a marvelous value. I'd play here again and again. Can't wait to play it after its grown back in.

Conditions Have Only Gotten Worse

*This is an updated review. For more thoughts on this course, see my full review from 3/23/18*

While playing a full 18 holes improved my opinion on the design of Providence Golf Club, the poor conditions and relatively high price means I’m in no hurry to play here again.

First, let’s start with the positives and that means correctly my last review on this course where I downplayed the course design. I had only played the front nine then and after playing both halves of the course now I admit there are quite a few interesting and beautiful looking holes in the layout. There’s a lot more elevation change on the back nine, more water hazards, and tighter fairways. Not hitting the ball straight off the tee can leave you blocked out on many holes, so keep that in mind.

But the main change to report here is the conditions of the course. For the $46 twilight rate I paid, they were truly awful. The aerated greens are finally starting to recover but the tee boxes and fairways looked like they hadn’t been mowed in weeks. It took me and my playing partner some time on a few of the tee boxes to find grass short enough to tee up for a driver. Often times it was difficult to determine if I was in the fairway or rough. Many of the bunkers looked unkempt as well. I know that the winter has been rough and the grass is still growing in but you can’t charge premium fees and leave the course to “grow in” like this. Speaking of grass, I counted at least three different types in the fairway alone, all growing at different lengths.

And that brings me to value. I am a value golfer, I don’t pay more than $40 for a round unless it’s a course I feel offers a good value even for the higher price. If I had tee’d off an hour before, it would have been $62, which is approaching the price bracket of Independence and they would never allow conditions like this. You simply aren’t getting what you paid for here. I’ll stick to the GolfNow courses in the area that offer a better experience for less.

An Average Course For The Average Golfer

In an area that has no scarcity of great golf courses, Providence Golf Club is a modest member. It may not wow you with exotic course design or immaculate conditions or world-class service, but you won’t pay for those omissions either.

The course layout is inviting for the average golfer with wide open fairways on many holes and plenty of places to bail out or lay up if need be. That’s not to say the course lacks its challenges, as forced carries, water hazards, and other trouble are aplenty but this course isn’t going to beat you up.

The conditions for mid March aren’t far off others in the area and that’s to say as bad as you’re likely to see the rest of the year. That’s less a criticism and more an acknowledgement that without growing grass, there’s only so much you can do to make the place look nice and play well. The greens roll relatively smoothly and the bunkers are clean. Fairways are generally in good shape, the tee boxes have seen better days, but again, that’s expected.

The price for my nine holes of $27 seemed slightly high for this time of year but it’s not a bad value, especially in this area. I didn’t have much time to take note of the amenities off the course but don’t expect TPC out here, this is more of a muni level course.

I left not so much unimpressed with Providence as just lacking an impression at all. It’s ok, it gets the job done. It’s not flaunting anything because it doesn’t have much to flaunt, and sometimes that’s ok.

Good Design

I like this course. It is in decent shape for a daily-fee track and it maintains a good pace of play all around. It is not a very easy course to walk, but it is a fun and challenging course. My favorite hole, the 18th is a 515-yard par 5 that features an absolute beautiful bunker on your left. It covers nearly 30 yards and is the true definition of a hazard. It is reachable in two, but you must carry wetlands in order to reach the putting surface. Now, this course is not cheap. For 18 holes it is over $60 and it is not quite on the level of Independence rather closer to Hunting Hawk.

A Nice Day!

My wife and I (ages 58 & 60) played 6/24/15 when it was clear and 102 Degrees with the heat index. Heat/sun doesn't bother us. We were quite impressed with the course - fairways and greens were the best we've seen lately, and we've played a lot of nice courses. Kudos to staff for their grounds work! Course challenging, and worth the price for the upkeep they have maintained.

Soggy but fun

Course was very wet . Water standing in numerous traps and greens very choppy . Nice layout and tees and fairways good shape. Is a busy course, so periodic waits, but really did move well today. Only issue is that it is little expensive when compared to other venues. Brickshire, Viniterra and brookwoods little of a drive , but for the money more challenging and in better shape. If live Chesterfield and want to play close to home then this is the place.

Super fun course for any skill level

This course is great! Beautiful layout that requires every shot imaginable. Even the shorter holes can pose quite the challenge as the fairways can yield some pretty uneven lies (ball below/above feet etc.). Fun course for better players as most if not all par 5s can be reached in 2. But they will need to be 2 great shots! For beginners it is also really fun. I'm a low handicap but my friends never play golf and are nearing 30 and we all had a blast. The greens typically run a little slow but are always in great shape and roll true. Make sure you give those short ones a firm stroke and don't worry about it running out too far! Also make sure you check out this course if you are in the area.

Nice course expensive

Course very good shape , little slow play. Expensive, have played numerous courses in area for much less and just as nice. Moderate challenge. Don't understand why driving range is always play from mats, especially with the beautiful summer we have had. Like courses can warm up on grass before play. Very nice putting green and separate chipping green .

Great Course! Friendly staff and atmosphere

June and the course is greened up well and is in prime shape. Challenging yet playable for all levels of player. Big difference in shots choices between depending on what tee boxes played. Something for everybody.

Always in great shape

This is always one of the best maintained public courses in the area.

Excellent conditions

It is November, so all of the courses are getting that brown tinge to them. This course was fantastic. Challenges everywhere, hazards everywhere, and the greens were impossible to read. Just what we look for in a course.

Very nice course for beginners and experienced players.

This course is in great shape for early November. Its a challenging course but still somewhat forgiving and landscaped beautifully.

I always enjoy playing this course!

It is a great value now that they joined Golf Now!

nc

Great course, setup for all age groups and varying degrees of ability. Well marked for yardages with fairly flat puttable greens. Very enjoyable outing. Ken

Difficulty Extremely Easy

good condition

For the end of October, the course was in good shape. Group in front of us was a little slow. Course is walkable as 3 of us walked.

very popular course...provides an excellent, enjoyable round

Course is very well maintained; greens and fairways are well above average for a popular course that receives lots of play. Rough is fair when not too high.

Very Nice Course

We played this course on a ride to Richmond. Loved this course. Lady friendly. Shot an 86 and I usually average in the low 90's. Really nice layout. We would definitely want to play this course again.

Course in excellent condition

Played with 3 other Golfnow users and had a great time. Course was in great shape. Would recommend to anyone looking for a great place to play in Richmond.

Valid dates: Dec 01, 2019 - Mar 01, 2020