A view of a green with a pond on the right side at St. James Bay Golf Club.

Type Public/Resort
St James Bay Golf Club

Year Built 2003
Architect Robert Walker (2003)

Restaurant

Clubhouse, Meeting Facilities

Available Activities

Swimming, Billiards

Available Sports

Fitness, Tennis

Course marking

You have to play position golf, and that's as advertised. What makes it so unfair is there are no course diagrams to show you where and how far to hit. There are many blind shots. And unless you have played it, you can't know how to hit. They need guidelines, course layouts, with distances, signs, maps or gps. Something! Some Tee boxes in poor shape. Fairways somewhat rough, but greens were superb! I will play it again, with some foreknowledge. Not many other choices in the area.

Best course in the area for the money.

They are trying hard to restore this course to it's former glory. So far a success. Can't beat the value.

St James Bay

St. James Bay is a great layout whose difficulty lies in a number of forced carries over environmentally sensitive areas off the tee. Unfortunately the plant growth in most of the areas now obscures any view of the landing area in the fairway. The fairways and tee boxes have suffered from CoVid related lack of maintenance while the condition of the greens remains very good. The staff was great everywhere on the property.

good but not what it used to be

For the Tallahassee area its a really good course. It was once one of the best in FLA but it doesn't stack up to its previous version The carries over the "roughs" i are fine but have not been trimmed in awhile Its fun to play and that's what matters

Better have some Top-Flites!

About a 1 hour drive from Tallahassee. Beautiful area, course is beautiful but extremely challenging. No margin for error - particularly on tee shots. A golf app on your phone is a must to understand what you need to hit off the tee. Fairways were in average shape (at best) but greens were fantastic. VERY high potential for lost balls so stock up on some Top-Flites before you play here.

Commented on 06/23/2020

Thank you for playing our course! You are right to suggest extra golf balls. We are an Audubon Certified Signature Course- one of less than 60 in the world, which is why there are so many hazards. Our fairways are improving every day so we would love to see you back soon.

Up for auction

Sad to see this once beautiful, well maintained course turn into a such disaster. Most holes “cart path only” so you don’t tear up the little bit of dried out brown grass that’s left. Greens aren’t far behind!

Commented on 05/27/2020

New Superintendent started 3 days before you played. I encourage you to come back, show us you made the above comment, and receive a complimentary round. If our recovery impresses you just please share your positive experience!

4.3133 stars

Very nice scenery. Fairways chewed up but still enjoyed very much compared to most courses. Happy I found this place and thanks for participating with golf now.

Commented on 06/23/2020

Hey Chris- Thanks for playing a round with us! We appreciate you. We did have an issue with our fairways, however we have a new Superintendent and he has made great strides in the last few weeks. We would love the opportunity to show you.

Saint Janes Bay

Course was in fair condition. First time I had been there where it was not in tip top shape. But still was a joy to play.

Course not in tip top shape!

Love layout, played her a lot over the years, first time it was not in great shape.

Headed downhill?

Course has seemed to be trending down last year or so. GPS removed from carts. App no longer supported. Range balls no longer included. No more coolers on carts or cool towels provided. New ownership seems to really be cutting costs.
Grass in fairways disappearing (not dormant, I’m aware of the difference). Even some greens are getting bare in spots.
Overall, still a great course. I would not spend $50+ to play it, but $35 is a good deal. I would recommend that more emphasis be put on maintenance and bringing the GPS units back. They are sorely needed on a course like this.

Commented on 06/23/2020

Thank you for playing a round with us. We agree, this course definitely needs a GPS to play and we have plans to bring those back on our brand new golf carts which are supposed to be delivered sometime in July. We still have the coolers, they are just in the restaurant. We also have a new Super and he has made great progress on our fairways and tee boxes. We would love for you to come see for yourself.

Beautiful course

This golf course is in great condition. The greens are beautiful! I would not recommend this course to a beginner though unless you want to loose lots of golf balls. If you need reading glasses, make sure you bring them to read the course map, which is tiny. There were a few holes that we we were unsure about where the green was when teeing off. Saw a couple of alligators in the ponds around the course and a few turtles shared the sand traps with us. Really enjoyed playing there.

Read this - you've been warned

I live in Tallahassee, and have played St James Bay many times in the past. But it has been since last year since I've been here, during an FSGA event, and I came again today for another FSGA one day event. I've played this course in every conceivable weather condition from hot and sticky, to cold and wet, to windy, etc. DIscounting it being a bit chilly when we teed off, the course is next to impossible to actually play and be honest with yourself about it being a true test of golf. We had 10 players in the FSGA event, and the field averaged 99 strokes. One guy just quit after five holes out of frustration it was so bad. Dirt for tee boxes, and the fairways were patchy at best, and because this was an FSGA event we had to play the ball down. I managed my way to a 78, but even with that this was just borderline torture forcing people to play the ball as it lies. I'd suggest preferred lies if you decide to play this course, but good luck finding any grass to put your ball on. The only positive is that the greens are puttable and have somewhat decent roll to them. But honestly, if you make it to the green to have a putt you should be given a medal. I honestly hate seeing this course deteriorate like this, as it's probably one of the most demanding and challenging golf courses in the area. But you need decent conditions to give the average golfer a fair chance here. And this is definitely not a fair fight. Save your money, and play somewhere else.

Commented on 06/23/2020

First of all, thank you for coming out. We appreciate that you drove all the way from Tallahassee to play our course. It's true, our fairways and tee boxes got out of hand, however we have a new Superintendent that has been here for about 7 weeks now and he has made great progress. We would love the opportunity to show you- on the house of course. Please stop back in for a free round- just show your review to us.

Poor Shape

Sorry to report that the course is not up to its reputation nor capabilities . I have played this course since it’s opening. It was deeply challenging for the average golfer and a test for the best; good amenities, good food and a great get away for groups of golfers looking for fun.. About 5-6 years ago the maintenance program went south. Ironically Bob Walkers greens endured and I still give them a 10 rating, but traps only 6 or 7, tee boxes 5 or 6, and fairways are 3 to 5 at best. I cannot attest to the front 9. W/o any warning they closed and punched the front 9 on a beautiful Saturday, so we played the back 9 twice, as if once wasn’t enough. What golf course on the beach in Florida punches their greens on a weekend? I rest my case! Save your money, go to PC or Tallahassee and send SJBGC a message. Terrible!

Commented on 06/23/2020

Thank you for playing SJB BwanaJim. We are sad to hear that you had such a bad experience. We were having some issues with our fairways and tee boxes, however we have a new Superintendent and he has made great progress . As far as having to punch the greens on a weekend- we never prefer to do that and always try to do it during the week, however that week we had a lot of rain and more rain was expected leaving us no other choice. We would love to have you back for a round on the house- just show us your Golf Advisor Credentials so we can verify you wrote this review. Thanks again- and we hope to see you soon... we really feel you will think differently.

Greens. Perfect
They really need more info on the tee of each hole
Unless you’ve been there some holes you don’t know where to go

Fun time,great challenge

Must think about every shot and where you need to hit it, buts it fun,OH by the way if you can't do this bring extra balls! I was able to only lose three balls,not bad for a 14 handicap.

Course is in great shape

Love playing here, visiting the area for 5 weeks have played here 4 times can’t wait to come back next year and play here again.

Writing review 1/24

Played 3 times
Off line or poor lay up punishes you
3 birdies 3 doubles 3 three putts 81
Not for high handicap player unless you like punishment and bring lots of balls due to forced
Carryovers of marsh areas

Great experience

Greens true and same from practice green thru course
Fairways a little sparse in spots but playable
Bunkers have a lot of sand and tough since deep around greens
As other reviews, marsh to carryover is tough unless you can figure distances
High handicap players will struggle, even from front tees unless you know the course.
The golf course employees are the best in pro shop and cart people

Tony Leslie

Course is in great shape staff was very friendly and helpful

Crawfordville, Florida