Year Built 2004
Fairways Zoysia Grass
Architect Bob Lohmann (2004) Michael J. Benkusky (2004)

Credit Cards Accepted Yes
Dress code Proper golf attire.

• Golf Advisor: Top Courses in Virginia (2018 #9)

A Nice Change of Pace

Mattaponi Springs Golf Club has a couple things going for it. First, it has Zoysia grass fairways, which tee up your ball like the strip of “rough” on driving range mats. Secondly, it’s in the middle of nowhere 20 minutes from Fredericksburg and 45 minutes from Richmond, so pace of play is never an issue.

The other thing I absolutely love about this course is the layout: very hilly and undulating with plenty of diversity and some great risk/reward holes. At least two driveable par-5s, a split-fairway par-4, and a few par-4s that require less than driver from the tee are just a few of my favorites. The 9th and 18th holes are excellent with very challenging approach shots to guarded greens.

The bentgrass greens are receptive but often heavily tiered. Putts roll smoothly and fairly quickly but there’s nothing silly or unfair about the putting surfaces. Overall conditions are very good with the only bare spots generally being out of play.

The one drawback to this course that I’ve mentioned in other reviews is that there is a distinct number of flying bugs that can get in your face and distract you a bit. Not a huge problem but a minor annoyance all the same.

The facilities here are a bit basic but include a grass driving range, putting green and chipping green with bunker. The staff is friendly but a bit sparse as well. There was no water on the course but the pro-shop attendant/bartender/starter/cart assistant informed us ahead of time and gave us some ice waters to go from the bar for each nine.

With a $49 twilight rate, this course is a good value. I plan on coming back a few more times this year despite my busy travel schedule.

Best Value in Northern Virginia

I don't know how they did it; but this course was in outstanding condition. The ball sat up in the fairways, bunkers were maintained and greens putted wonderfully. Other courses in the area could not compare. Easily the best-maintained public course I've played this year. Well worth the trip down to Ruether Glen.

In Great Shape And Far From Crowded

*This is an update to my original review of this course on 06/15/18*

Mattaponi Springs GC continues to impress with excellent conditions, stress free pace of play, a well-designed and interesting layout, and a decent value. The Zoysia grass fairways and bentgrass greens translate to durable playing conditions regardless of weather. With the very wet summer we’ve had here, the course is surprisingly dry with only a few bunkers showing any signs of heavy rains.

The layout is somewhat forgiving with mostly wide fairways and easy-to-find undergrowth off the fairways. That said, forced carries and fairway bunkers will demand your attention and force you to strategize your play around the course. Many of the greens are heavily tiered which makes them fun but challenging, especially given the fact they’re pretty quick as well.

Despite a mid-afternoon tee time on a rare clear day, my playing partner and I had the course nearly to ourselves making for excellent pace-of-play. The staff is friendly and the facilities are good here as well. For the best value, I recommend getting the first twilight tee time available. It’s under $50 and that makes this course a good value.

Wonderful and Fun Course

The course is fantastic and really great conditions after a difficult winter. I expected to see winter kill in the fairways, but, not so. The Zoysia fairways are and the ball sets up. The greens putted well, ball did not bounce and kept it's line. Many significant undulations, you better pay close attention. I would not suggest walking, and I walk all the time. Distance from green to tees can be significant. Each hole has varying elevation changes and some blind shots. This is a don't miss course.

Arrive With Bug Spray, Leave With Smiles

Mattaponi Springs is a unique course in its Central Virginia location and boasts some of the best playing conditions in the state. That combined with a diverse layout make it worth a visit.

The course uses Zoysia grass for the fairways and immaculately maintained bent grass on the greens, making this course a joy to play on in most conditions and especially the day I played. There are a few dry patches of rough near the cart paths but nothing that impacts play. The bunkers are also well groomed and predictable as is the smooth fringe and the excellent playing conditions really seemed to help me enjoy my round.

The layout is unique in the amount of diversity and elevation change on many of the holes and strategy and creativity are invited and rewarded here. I’m a sucker for a treeline-split fairway which you’ll find here as well. There are a few water hazards and a couple blind shots from the tee but nothing about this course will beat you up too badly and good shots are well-rewarded.

One thing to note that will impact the enjoyment of your round: of the nearly 100 courses I’ve played I’ve rarely visited one that has more flies swarming in your face than this course. I neglected to bring bug spray and that was definitely a mistake you should avoid. Otherwise, this is a very pleasant location with no houses to be seen and good pace-of-play.

The staff on hand when I showed up around 5pm on a Friday was minimal but friendly and with a twilight rate of about $50, this is not a cheap course but offers a decent value for the quality it offers (GPS on all carts). I definitely recommend playing this course, it’s truly a gem.

Still Worth the Drive

This is my second review of Mattoponi Springs and the course is in 5 Star shape right now. Despite all the spring rain we have had in the area the grounds crew has done a phenomenal job keeping things beyond just playable. The greens are rolling true and at a good speed. Tee boxes, fairways and rough are all in great shape. I really like the variety of holes here from short par 3's to some longer par 4's. The elevation change here is used well. All the greens are multi tiered in some form or fashion. Nothing too crazy but definitely adds character. There is only a few holes where water comes in to play. Forced carries throughout the course. The 9th and the 18th holes are great holes that play downhill with forced carries coming into the greens. Practice area is still solid with grass range, large practice green and bunker facility. This course is worth the drive for me at over an hour so if you are in the Richmond or even Fredericksburg area make the drive and check out this course. In my opinion you will not be disappointed.

Worth the drive.

Just moved to Virginia from North Carolina and this was my first round of golf in Central Virginia. The course is in the middle of no where but worth the drive. Practice facility was very nice. Range balls included in the price of golf. There was a small sand practice area on one end of the range and a putting green on the other. The range flag distances were marked by a legend stone in ground on each tier of the range. The practice green is multi tiered and large. It very much resembles the greens on the course. The practice green and the greens on the course are bent grass. That being said it is the dog days of summer so the grass was a little long and the greens a little slow, but that was expected. There are multiple holes that had some burnt out spots due to the slope of them and the fact when they mow those sections of the greens they don't adjust the blades well enough. Common problem on bent grass with tiers and slopes like you will find here. The hole locations on this day were set that I rarely found myself putting through the burnt out portions. I really liked the layout of the course. There are elevated tees and elevated greens to mix things up and make you think. There are some holes that have tight landing areas so you can't just pull driver and try and pound away. There are a few split fairways and some forced carries either off the tee or on your approach shots. Both 9 and 18 finish down hill to the clubhouse with forced carries over a creek when hitting to the green. Only three holes where water comes into play on the back 9. The tee boxes were in great shape as well as the fairways. Plenty of release off the tee when hitting the fairway. The greens held approach shots and were soft but like I said earlier it is hot and the bent grass needs the extra water. All the greens are multi tiered and good size. No hitting to postage stamp size greens here. The staff was very friendly. Answered all my questions and pointed out the layout of the course. This place was empty for a Saturday so pace of play was quick. We never waited nor did we have anyone behind us. I only gave 4 stars because of the conditions of some of the greens and the greens will become an issue in the coming years if they don't adjust the mower blades for the slopes on their greens. Coming from the Sand Hills of North Carolina I've seen this problem play out there with bent grass greens during the hot summer. Plus the practice putting green is becoming invaded with a foreign grass that will choke out the bent grass eventually. Hopefully that doesn't happen to the greens on the course. As far as value goes it was in line with similar courses I would normally play on weekends in NC.

Been better

I've played this course up close to 10 times now in my life and it's always been a premium course. One of those courses you play once or twice a summer because they layout is fun, but challenging in a fair way. Something has happened to their greens other than just burning out. Some of the worse greens I've seen looks wise in a while. They didn't roll as bad as they looked but they were laughable on some holes. The rest of the course is in GREAT shape. I've always thought this course over charged considering where they're located (we got a "deal" at $65) but it for sure wasn't worth the money this time. Still fun to play, like I said greens didn't roll terrible and the rest of the course was in great shape, some of my favorite fairways I've played on all Summer. It's a little late in the year to get the greens back but hopefully they can have it fixed by Spring time because this course is fun.

Beautiful, secluded challenge

This course has a lot going for it--a challenging layout, a secluded setting with no development nearby, a great clubhouse with a porch to watch golfers finishing on 18, a great range and practice area. The holes provide a nice mix of long, sloping fairways and some short, gettable holes. Large greens. Nice grass. Often empty, but sometimes crowded--hard to guess the pattern.

Virginia Advisor

Spring is here and crowded

Last review I bragged how off the beaten path. Well everyone discovered the path . Had a 1110 tee time and got to tee after driving range at 1109 . Foursome on green and another foursome teeing off . Before we could tee off another twosome behind us. Luckily the four in front of us were playing best ball so moved ok. Issue finally arose at the 9th where big drop off to hazard in front of green and think foursome in front of 4 in front of us must have had an issue . Waited good ten minutes on tee box and the two behind us I think called it a day . Course in great shape and is a interesting layout . Luckily they had the grill going outside the clubhouse so didn't make the wait to tee off on 10 so bad . Had Brat and Beer at the turn and a very good barbecue sandwich after . There is a lot of positioning on this course and do prefer where can have at it , but will take the drive at times for the change . Again staff is great, very helpful , involved and there to make sure you enjoy your round . Will be back

Featured

Spring is almost here

First the weather was beautiful. Needless to say course is not on the beaten path, so pace was fantastic. We would stop on the tee and just listen to the quiet. Being first time staff was a big help getting us started and Christine , enjoyed the beer and Brats after the round . Thank you. Course is a position and play. Tight and interesting, holes either short or long, not much in between. Little too tight for my driver except for a couple holes , but 3 u , hybrids and even couple irons used off the tee . A good Gps watch , which a playing partner of mine uses and my laser finder came in handy. More strategy here than most. Need to spend a few more seconds on the tee figuring how to attack each hole depending on your length. Grass still dormant but the greens are ok. Looking forward to playing in the spring .

A hidden gem

Played on a Thursday afternoon as a single, teed off at 3:20. No one on course finished in 2.5 hours. (before dark). Great course, lots of elevation changes. greens rolled true, zoysia fairway. Wish I lived closer. I was last one on course and at end even though it was closed the staff managed to get me a Gatorade. (Chrissy I think) Great course you will not be disappointed.

Awesome Course!

We drove from DC and this was another course worth the drive! The layout of this course is just incredible as each hole is very interesting. You won't get bored here for sure. The only minor complaint I have is that the greens were kind of slow and didn't roll like it should for this quality course. Hope they roll the greens more often. Pick your spots to hit the driver if you are not familiar with the course.

THE BEST IN VA

By far the BEST course in central VA, from tee to green the conditions were incredible You will use all the clubs in your bag , which makes it a lot of fun. Additionally, the staff was so nice, and accommodating, something you just don't find usually, but Mattaponi is by Far 5 Stars -- A MUST PLAY!!

Rural Tranquility

I played on a Monday afternoon; hoping for no crowds, and that's what I got. Played solo, no one in front of or behind me for the entire 18. The course is beautiful and was in great shape. My only small complaint was that the greens were quite slow, probably due to a very rainy summer. Speaking of greens, consider your point of aim very carefully. Almost every green has three distinct elevations, and if you're in the the wrong place, you will likely three-putt. The four par-3s are quite difficult, but the par-5s are definite birdie opportunities.

Great golf, Pure Golf

This course delivered on every level. From the rolling, hardwood lined terrain to the tightly mown zoysia fairways to the mind bending undulation of the perfect greens.
My father and I had a tee time at 10:15 on friday and arrived at the course around 9:45 due to traffic. Expecting to be rushed to even hit the customary handful of practice putts, we bypassed the bag drop and went straight to the parking lot. While we were putting on our spikes a wonderful attendant drove up to us with our cart and left it for us to take up to the clubhouse(Nice!). While getting ready we noticed that there were six cars in the lot. Once checked in we were told the course was we were told the course was wide open and we could warm up and proceed to number 1 anytime we would like. Solid range, putting and short game greens. Once on the course it was one terrific hole after another culminating in a stretch run from 14-18 that was fantastic.
I would call Mattaponi Springs a must play. I am particularly looking forward to making another run down there when the trees start to turn in fall.

Ruther Glen, Virginia
Ashland, Virginia
Montpelier, Virginia
Manquin, Virginia
Rappahannock Academy, Virginia
Fredericksburg, Virginia
Manakin Sabot, Virginia

Valid dates: Oct 10, 2019 - Oct 31, 2019
Golf Package Special for October starts at $199.00 for 1 or 2 golfers, Monday to Thursday. Golf included for each nights stay. Call 520-577-4092 to add additional golfers to the package.