Mattaponi Springs Golf Club

Caddies: No
GPS: No

Practice bunker: Yes

Dress code: Proper golf attire.
Credit cards accepted: Yes

"Worth the drive."

Bombtech6316's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/05/2017

Just moved to Virginia from North Carolina and this was my first round of golf in Central Virginia. The course is in the middle of no where but worth the drive. Practice facility was very nice. Range balls included in the price of golf. There was a small sand practice area on one end of the range and a putting green on the other. The range flag distances were marked by a legend stone in ground on each tier of the range. The practice green is multi tiered and large. It very much resembles the greens on the course. The practice green and the greens on the course are bent grass. That being said it is the dog days of summer so the grass was a little long and the greens a little slow, but that was expected. There are multiple holes that had some burnt out spots due to the slope of them and the fact when they mow those sections of the greens they don't adjust the blades well enough. Common problem on bent grass with tiers and slopes like you will find here. The hole locations on this day were set that I rarely found myself putting through the burnt out portions. I really liked the layout of the course. There are elevated tees and elevated greens to mix things up and make you think. There are some holes that have tight landing areas so you can't just pull driver and try and pound away. There are a few split fairways and some forced carries either off the tee or on your approach shots. Both 9 and 18 finish down hill to the clubhouse with forced carries over a creek when hitting to the green. Only three holes where water comes into play on the back 9. The tee boxes were in great shape as well as the fairways. Plenty of release off the tee when hitting the fairway. The greens held approach shots and were soft but like I said earlier it is hot and the bent grass needs the extra water. All the greens are multi tiered and good size. No hitting to postage stamp size greens here. The staff was very friendly. Answered all my questions and pointed out the layout of the course. This place was empty for a Saturday so pace of play was quick. We never waited nor did we have anyone behind us. I only gave 4 stars because of the conditions of some of the greens and the greens will become an issue in the coming years if they don't adjust the mower blades for the slopes on their greens. Coming from the Sand Hills of North Carolina I've seen this problem play out there with bent grass greens during the hot summer. Plus the practice putting green is becoming invaded with a foreign grass that will choke out the bent grass eventually. Hopefully that doesn't happen to the greens on the course. As far as value goes it was in line with similar courses I would normally play on weekends in NC.

"Been better"

csp246's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/05/2016
Previously played Used cart Played 18 holes Good weather

I've played this course up close to 10 times now in my life and it's always been a premium course. One of those courses you play once or twice a summer because they layout is fun, but challenging in a fair way. Something has happened to their greens other than just burning out. Some of the worse greens I've seen looks wise in a while. They didn't roll as bad as they looked but they were laughable on some holes. The rest of the course is in GREAT shape. I've always thought this course over charged considering where they're located (we got a "deal" at $65) but it for sure wasn't worth the money this time. Still fun to play, like I said greens didn't roll terrible and the rest of the course was in great shape, some of my favorite fairways I've played on all Summer. It's a little late in the year to get the greens back but hopefully they can have it fixed by Spring time because this course is fun.

"Beautiful, secluded challenge"

cjpayne6046's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/22/2016
Previously played Used cart Played 18 holes Good weather

This course has a lot going for it--a challenging layout, a secluded setting with no development nearby, a great clubhouse with a porch to watch golfers finishing on 18, a great range and practice area. The holes provide a nice mix of long, sloping fairways and some short, gettable holes. Large greens. Nice grass. Often empty, but sometimes crowded--hard to guess the pattern.

"Spring is here and crowded"

Speedblade54's avatar
Virginia Advisor

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/20/2016

Last review I bragged how off the beaten path. Well everyone discovered the path . Had a 1110 tee time and got to tee after driving range at 1109 . Foursome on green and another foursome teeing off . Before we could tee off another twosome behind us. Luckily the four in front of us were playing best ball so moved ok. Issue finally arose at the 9th where big drop off to hazard in front of green and think foursome in front of 4 in front of us must have had an issue . Waited good ten minutes on tee box and the two behind us I think called it a day . Course in great shape and is a interesting layout . Luckily they had the grill going outside the clubhouse so didn't make the wait to tee off on 10 so bad . Had Brat and Beer at the turn and a very good barbecue sandwich after . There is a lot of positioning on this course and do prefer where can have at it , but will take the drive at times for the change . Again staff is great, very helpful , involved and there to make sure you enjoy your round . Will be back

"A hidden gem"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/22/2015
First time playing Played as a single Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather

Played on a Thursday afternoon as a single, teed off at 3:20. No one on course finished in 2.5 hours. (before dark). Great course, lots of elevation changes. greens rolled true, zoysia fairway. Wish I lived closer. I was last one on course and at end even though it was closed the staff managed to get me a Gatorade. (Chrissy I think) Great course you will not be disappointed.

"Awesome Course!"

JojoCinco's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/25/2015
First time playing Played with a group Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather

We drove from DC and this was another course worth the drive! The layout of this course is just incredible as each hole is very interesting. You won't get bored here for sure. The only minor complaint I have is that the greens were kind of slow and didn't roll like it should for this quality course. Hope they roll the greens more often. Pick your spots to hit the driver if you are not familiar with the course.

"THE BEST IN VA"

Cecil4PAR's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/01/2014
Previously played Played with a group Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather

By far the BEST course in central VA, from tee to green the conditions were incredible You will use all the clubs in your bag , which makes it a lot of fun. Additionally, the staff was so nice, and accommodating, something you just don't find usually, but Mattaponi is by Far 5 Stars -- A MUST PLAY!!

Quality of food & beverage: Excellent

"Rural Tranquility"

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 7/29/2013

I played on a Monday afternoon; hoping for no crowds, and that's what I got. Played solo, no one in front of or behind me for the entire 18. The course is beautiful and was in great shape. My only small complaint was that the greens were quite slow, probably due to a very rainy summer. Speaking of greens, consider your point of aim very carefully. Almost every green has three distinct elevations, and if you're in the the wrong place, you will likely three-putt. The four par-3s are quite difficult, but the par-5s are definite birdie opportunities.

"Great golf, Pure Golf"

Marker81's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 5/31/2013

This course delivered on every level. From the rolling, hardwood lined terrain to the tightly mown zoysia fairways to the mind bending undulation of the perfect greens.<br/> My father and I had a tee time at 10:15 on friday and arrived at the course around 9:45 due to traffic. Expecting to be rushed to even hit the customary handful of practice putts, we bypassed the bag drop and went straight to the parking lot. While we were putting on our spikes a wonderful attendant drove up to us with our cart and left it for us to take up to the clubhouse(Nice!). While getting ready we noticed that there were six cars in the lot. Once checked in we were told the course was we were told the course was wide open and we could warm up and proceed to number 1 anytime we would like. Solid range, putting and short game greens. Once on the course it was one terrific hole after another culminating in a stretch run from 14-18 that was fantastic.<br/> I would call Mattaponi Springs a must play. I am particularly looking forward to making another run down there when the trees start to turn in fall.