Spring Creek Golf Club

Spring Creek Golf Club, which is just outside of colonial Charlottesville, tumbles across the wooded hills that sit beneath the mountains of central Virginia. The scenic course winds through mature trees and it is also accented with rock walls and bridges. The layout will test your accuracy with its narrow fairways, water hazards, and strategically placed sand traps but it is still playable enough to appeal to a wide range of skill levels, and there is plenty of scenic respite as well to make the round well worth the reasonable green fees. The golf course is relatively young but it has quickly garnered a strong following. When it opened in 2007 it was named the "Best New Affordable Course" by Golf Digest, and since then the accolades have kept coming, including being ranked as one of the top 100 public golf courses in the country.
Championship 72 7389 yards 76.6 151
Marble 72 6673 yards 73.2 145
Onyx (W) 72 6228 yards 76.3 143
Onyx 72 6197 yards 70.9 138
Salmon 72 5589 yards 68.2 132
Salmon (W) 72 5589 yards 72.9 136
Pewter (W) 72 4781 yards 68.4 126
Scorecard for Spring Creek Golf Club
Championship M: 76.6/151 467 563 471 390 197 415 458 187 615 3763 447 430 539 192 445 420 389 203 561 3626 7389
Marble M: 73.2/145 425 532 430 362 167 394 426 151 495 3382 423 377 514 176 412 342 351 181 515 3291 6673
Onyx M: 70.9/138 W: 75.3/143 389 499 389 317 155 369 380 139 467 3104 384 353 499 150 379 330 344 150 504 3093 6197
Salmon M: 68.2/132 W: 72.9/136 375 458 358 291 133 338 352 111 409 2825 280 334 457 123 301 326 327 128 488 2764 5589
Pewter W: 69.4/126 278 451 352 268 90 274 256 93 355 2417 278 256 418 90 297 240 282 112 391 2364 4781

Year Built 2006
Architect Ed Carton (2006)

Golf Simulator No
Practice Hole No

• Golf Advisor: Top 25 Friendliest Courses in the U.S. (2014 #16)
  • Golf Advisor: Top Courses in Virginia (2017 #3)
  • Golf Advisor: Top 25 Course Conditions in the U.S. (2014 #4)
  • Golf Advisor: Top 25 Value Courses in the U.S. (2014 #1)
  • Golf Advisor: Best of Golf Advisor (2014 #1)

A Bucket list/Top 100 Pick 12
Entertaining Clients 11

Maintaining Its High Reputation

Spring Creek has built a nationally-acclaimed reputation for beauty and conditioning and my recent visit proved they continue to take that reputation seriously.

Conditions, conditions, conditions. Few bentgrass courses do it better than Spring Creek. From the tightly mowed, soft tee boxes to the lush fairways, rough, and greens, there is no part of the course that doesn’t shine (with the exception of some of the fringes that the maintenance crews are working hard to remedy). Bunkers are groomed and despite the wet weather, almost none had standing water. The greens are among the fastest in the state now and it’s so satisfying to make a long putt.

But without other virtues, excellent conditions don’t get you very far. Thankfully, Spring Creek shines in two more categories: layout and practice facilities. The design is a pleasingly diverse track with plenty of character but mostly just easy on the eyes. The driving range, pitch/chipping practice green, and separate putting green really make you want to show up early for your round. I just wish the range was grass, not mats.

The staff remains professional if not super warm to non-members. For a place that’s been trying to go private for years, it’s somewhat understandable but I have not experienced any negative treatment in my last few visits. The value here remains good though it’s not cheap. I only walk here (a bit of a challenge but doable) and that can run you as little as $44 on a weekday afternoon. But rack rates on the weekend including cart exceed $100.

Spring Creek remains one of my top-rated courses and it’s always nice to see a course that takes so much pride in its presentation. I’ll keep coming back until they don’t let me.

Beautiful course

We were on a two day golf outing playing mountain courses. Not as picturesque as Primland, but this course was beautiful. Greens were in great shape as was the fairways. Sand traps must have been in repair. Many were nearly unplayable. Sand was piled in many of the the sand traps. No mention of this as we signed in, but I can' t image this being the norm. Our only negative on the entire day.

There were lots and lots of sand traps. If your going to score here, you will have to keep it in the fairway.

Any ball outside the cut grass, don't even bother to look for it. But, understand the course was fair and playable.

Staff was excellent, everyone we came in contact with was friendly and accommodating. Food after the round was GREAT and the prices were very reasonable.

You will be seeing us again, great course!

Big-ballpark golf

Having heard a lot about Spring Creek ever since it opened a dozen years ago, I was glad to finally play it. It's golf on quite a large scale, owing to the size of the broad, amoeba-shaped bunkers and the expansive greens. The course was a bit soggy and played very long, but was nonetheless enjoyable.

The par threes stood out as a strength of the course, with multi-section greens that demand different shots one day to the next. There was an awesome back-left sucker-pin on the 13th, for example. I've heard mixed statements on whether the course is going fully private, but just to be safe, if you've been thinking about playing Spring Creek, give it a go.

Absolute Gem

Let me start by saying that Spring Creek is not completely private yet. That being said if you are thinking of playing here just do it and do not wait any longer. Despite the greens being punched a week earlier the course was still awesome. I understand that courses have to do maintenance. Plus they let us know when we made the tee time so no harm, no foul. The layout is amazing and the conditions are pristine. This course has some of the most well maintained bunkers I have ever seen. The Bent grass fairways are always a joy to play off of, much better than Bermuda. With 5 sets of tee boxes there is a distance and difficulty to fit your game. I am really looking forward to going back in a few weeks when the greens heal up because you can tell that the greens roll true and the slopes are consistent throughout the course. The entire staff at Spring Creek is top notch. The starter John was an absolute pleasure to chat with before we headed out. Kevin Haney the pro is a top notch professional. We talked about the course and golf for a good 15 minutes before I went to the range. After I was done he took time to talk with me about the round and to make sure I will be back when the greens heal up. In today's fast paced world it is hard to find customer service like that anywhere. The maintenance staff on the course was courteous and friendly. This may sound funny but the carts were some of the most comfortable I have ever ridden in. They have GPS on them to help out throughout the round. They have a full practice facility with separate putting and chipping greens. They have grass as well as multiple types of artificial turf to hit off of on the range. The Tavern on the Green is a great 19th hole and spot to get a bite at the turn. I have played what is considered some of the best public courses in America from privately to publicly owned. From Kapalua Plantation, King Kamehameha Country Club, Pinehurst, Circling Raven, Coeur d'Alene Resort, to Gold Mountain both Cascade and Olympic courses in my "hometown" of Bremerton, WA and Spring Creek ranks easily with those courses all the way around. I highly recommend calling Kevin and his staff to get out and play here.

Best golf course in Virginia

Let's be honest!! This is the second time I have play this magnificent track. Conditions were very wet but very playable, even though it was cart path only. The layout is fantastic!! No two holes the same. The greens were in great shape. If you do not like this golf course, there is something wrong with you. My son, a former college golfer, indicated he would play there any time he is in the 100 mile radius. I would also like to mention that there was a rumor from the member we played with that within a year, it will private, so if you have any chance of playing the #4 rated course in Virginia by Golf Digest.

One Of The Best Again

Spring Creek Golf Club remains among the best in the nation in course conditions and my latest guest experience was much improved over last year, making it one of my favorite courses. It isn’t likely to stay open to the public much longer so if you have not yet played Spring Creek, I strongly recommend putting it at the top of your list if you live within 100 miles.

Any number of factors in rating a golf course are sometimes subject to very individualized experiences, especially when it comes to staff friendliness. Meet one rude marshall or starter and they can ruin your good opinion of every employee. Likewise, a kind word or gesture from one person can create a great reputation of the whole staff.

My most recent experience with the staff at Spring Creek was noticeably improved over last year’s uneasy interaction with the marshall there. This time around, everyone I encountered was very warm and friendly. The pro shop attendant Hannah even informed me of a walking rate not posted on the course’s website. Not only did I not know you could walk this course, but like nearby Birdwood, you can pay a smaller cart fee for using it just on the hillier back nine (sidenote: while the $26-per-18-holes cart fee is high, they have recently outfitted brand new carts with SUPER comfy seats, so it might actually be worth it to many golfers).

Much has been said about the course conditions here but it bears repeating that you will be hard-pressed to find a course with smoother fairways, more even rough (with multiple cuts along the fairways and in front of greens), better tee boxes, better maintained bunkers, or prettier landscaping (black mulch, flowering bushes, etc). The greens are only slightly slower than the fastest greens you’ll ever play and have plenty of break, making it imperative that you land your ball on the right tier of each green or be below the hole.

When I played, the greens had been aerated about 2 weeks before (along with the fairways) and yet play was completely unaffected. That playability is what separates courses like Spring Creek from those that are bumpy for a month or more. It’s also worth noting there wasn’t a single ball mark on any of the greens except my own. Another impressive touch? As I was finishing my round in the approaching darkness, there were two groundskeepers coming along behind me on the 18th fairway filling in divots. When have you seen that on a public course?

Ed Carton’s design of this course rises to the standard set by the course’s conditions. The layout here is fairly inviting off the tee with a sprinkling of fairway bunkers being the biggest challenge to beginners. I like the separation of the tee boxes (the tips are way, WAY back there) that encourage you to hit from the one that matches your skill. The fairways are wide and the rough is fair in its thickness. The greenside bunkers are groomed but a touch firm, making getting out of them easier. With the challenge of the speedy putts, it’s nice that there aren’t any hidden breaks in the greens.

To me, the discovery of a $44 walking twilight rate significantly increases this course’s already good value. The walk isn’t as challenging as at Birdwood and there are chests of bottled water at several points along the way to help. There are some long gaps between several holes if you follow the cart paths so it pays to know where the shortcuts are for those that choose to walk.

In my experience having played here 4-5 times now, the pace of play is very reasonable, especially during the week. I finished in just over 3.5 hours and took my time. The off-course amenities here are fantastic with separate chipping and putting greens, a super fancy clubhouse (and aforementioned fancy carts) and a complementary driving range that not only has you hitting off grass but is laid out with precise targets and landing areas that help you focus as you practice.

As mentioned before, this course will be going fully private once memberships reach a certain point, so don’t wait to play this gem!

Birmingham Advisor

So underrated

I was blown away after playing this course. Spring Creek is vastly underrated on top 100 American public course rankings. At No. 66 on Golf Digest's rankings, and unranked on Golf Magazine and Golfweek's rankings (embarrassing), it surpassed my expectations and makes me wonder why this course is still relatively unknown among power tracks. The first thing that makes it underrated is the conditioning. Major props to course superintendent Ryan Holbrook. Spring Creek is blessed with Tour-like conditioning. I loved the mowing patterns that really added a visual element. The closely mown (fairway height) areas around greens were beautiful and very challenging. Bent grass is pervasive throughout: greens are stellar and among finest I've encountered in a while. The greens are multi-level, but the contours were not as severe as the RTJ Trail courses I play back home. Speed was good - not too fast, not too slow. The wide fairways are immaculate and swales abound, funneling balls into collection areas. The bentgrass rough is juicy but not dense enough to be overly penal. Definitely get flyer, knuckleballs out of it. I liked that two of the par 5s were short enough to be reachable from the 6,200-yard tees I played. The par-5 18th could be a great risk-reward hole if I had the length to challenge a 250-yard carry over water on the second. The strategy, especially on the par 4s keep your attention. I didn't find any filler holes. The course is in a neighborhood, but I never noticed any houses until the back nine, and they certainly didn't detract from the scenic value of the course. The practice areas were phenomenal and the view from the clubhouse's veranda overlooking the 18th hole is quite the view. Finally, talk about great value. Rack rate currently is $79. After noon, it drops to $65. I played after 3 pm for $50 and finished with plenty of daylight. This course is worth twice that much.

Virginia Advisor

One of the best public in VA

On my personal Top 5 public courses in VA list, Spring Creek is a treat from start to finish. The course conditions are very good and the the course winds it's way through beautiful countryside.

A great variety of holes with ample width for all levels of play. Some forced carries, but the way the holes flow together is really exceptional. Not many, if any, holes that are duds.

Look forward to playing here whenever I go down to the Charlottesville area. Do yourself a favor and check out Spring Creek.

Amazing course

It's probably my fourth time playing here. Having discovered the course on the top 100 Public in Golf Digest, we've made this course a must drive from the Washington DC area. Public play is allowed on most weekdays so our group often takes a day off to drive down to Charlottesville just to visit this course. We love it. Layout lets you hit but the greens are challenging. It can also get long so play the right set of tees. Conditions awesome. Love it!!

A real gem in central Virginia

You'd be hard-pressed to find a better-conditioned and more beautiful layout than Spring Creek, and that would include nearby Full Cry at Keswick Golf Club, which I love. This Ed Carton design is very Tom Fazio-like and for good reason: Carton learned his craft under Fazio and learned it well. On every hole, the bunkers are well thought out as are the greens complexes. Play from the back tees at nearly 7,200 yards, and it's a real beast. At 6,500 yards, it's still pretty tough. I particularly liked the finishing hole, a par 5 that works beautifully around a large lake with risk on every shot. And play this course while you can because when they get enough members at semi-private Spring Creek, the plan is to make it totally private.

When You're Off, It's Still On

The goal of any golf course is to maximize your enjoyment despite the fact that a) your swing can't find the fairways with the Hubble Space Telescope and b) you have decided that the best way to grip the club is to replicate crocodile jaws at full throttle.

Spring Creek delivered. In spades.

Despite a less than stellar outing and less than ideal weather (cart path only) this course was an absolute pleasure. From the opening dog-leg par 4 to the beautiful par 4 18th there were times when one just stood back and admired the beauty of the design. Multiple sets of tees allowed for all handicap levels to enjoy the round, and native grasses and dense vegetation acted as forced carries for the better players. As for the greens, fast but true.

So, it's almost golfing nirvana, save for the fact that these native (high!) grasses find their way near the greens on several holes. An approach just off the green will find them (trust me), and they seem a bit penal in nature and rather unnecessary.

This course may go private in the near future, so don't delay. Enjoy it with both old friends and new (Hi Mike!) - you will not regret it.

Amazing Conditions

The reviews were too good to pass up so I had to see for myself, and wow, this course is spectacular! Some of the most pristine conditions I've seen for a public course around the DMV and the rate to play here is quite reasonable that'd I'd play here soon before the secret gets out and the prices go thru the roof. The bunkering was huge and sprinkled everywhere throughout the course, but as long as you were playing the proper tees the bunkers for the most part don't come in to play. Greens were massive, extreme undulations, and ran true and fast and made for some tricky putts during the whole round. The driving areas can be tight on some holes so make sure your driver is on that day as you may be losing a few balls during the round. I can't say enough good things about this course and would make the 2.5 hour drive again in a heartbeat to play this course again.

Must Play Course

This course is about 2 hours from my home yet I still venture to Gordonsville 3-4 times a year to play here. Course is usually in great shape; greens were a little slower on my November trip than they normally are. I can't wait till spring and my next trip to Spring Creek!

One of the best courses you can play

Spring Creek is a magnificent, excellently-maintained golf course cut from a forest about 20 miles east of Charlottesville, VA. I haven't played here in several years, since I no longer live in Virginia, but it was wonderful to go back to beautiful environment this course offers. The conditions have always been outstanding at Spring Creek. I have played many courses in Virginia, and Spring Creek may very well be the best-maintained layout I have ever played on. If you want to play on a tour-level course for less than $100, this is someplace you should visit. Each hole is an environment unto itself. The main hazards are gigantic popcorn-shaped bunkers in the landing areas and surrounding the greens. However, if you aren't careful, you may also end up amongst the towering hardwood trees or the tall native grasses. The course is designed so that hazards are easily seen. The bunkers serve to frame the course and give you a visual picture of the shot required. Target golf is the name of the game here. Most of the holes favor a high, soft-landing ball flight to hit the greens. The greens themselves are quick with multiple tiers and swales. As I always have, I recommend Spring Creek to everyone willing to take on its challenge!

A must play

By far, the best course in central virginia. Worth every second of the 45 minute trip from Richmond. Course is absolutely beautiful and in perfect condition every time we play.

WOWEE WOW WOW

So this is an amazing course. Top 3 in the state of Virginia IMHO. The layout is very challenging, the decisions appear to be straightforward but that is just not the case. This course is a cross between Augusta and Royal New Kent here in Virginia. You have to play Royal New Kent to believe it.... Spring Creek will punish you for being naive IMO. Commanding iron control around the greens is a must, as well as straight drives from the tee. The only water on the course is at the beautiful 18th, which caps a great round on a fantastic course. Truly a remarkable gem in every way... Cheers, Rob

Best course

Truly great course, accessible to every golfer. 5 sets of tees. Great risk/ reward options. Important to play from appropriate tees & be able to elevate ball over hazards. Not a "bump and run " course. Staff very accommodating. Great new clubhouse & pro shop. Very easy access from I-64.

Nicest course I've ever playrd

I play a lot of different courses in a lot of different places when I travel. This course is the nicest track I have ever played. From tee to green, everything about this place screams PGA possibility.

Immaculate!!

Absolutely beautiful golf course. Challenging, scenic and in great condition. A must play for anyone.

My Favorite

Difficult but always in top condition. The staff is always polite. I can't wait to enjoy a drink on the patio of their new clubhouse which over looks 18. Lots of great holes and cool tee shots. My favorite Virginia golf course above Kingsmill River course.

Keswick, Virginia