2.6

Year Built 2007
Architect Thomas Walker (2007)

Dress code Collar Shirts/Slacks/Bermuda Style Shorts. Tank tops, cutoff shorts, t-shirts, swimwear and any type of jeans are not permitted.

Snacks

• Golf Advisor: Top Courses in Virginia (2017 #18)

Pendleton

Fun track. Would recommend playing it with somebody who has played it. Lots of blind tee shots and questions on where best to go. Greens rolled very good. Par 5s (especially on back) are a bit gimmicky. Would recommend the “6 pack” green fees - saves you $20 per round on weekends and you can use them for multiple golfers.

I will not play here again

Super nice course.....unique layout, good conditions in this hot summer. I will not play here again. This has only to do with the staff. Golf is struggling now, and there are too many nice places to play.....you need to compete for my golf dollar. The gentleman in the pro shop had no clue that this is a BUSINESS.....and golfers are the CUSTOMERS....not an inconvenience. The same for the two people working at the small window that sells food. Too bad.....this location is too remote to thrive unless they give great customer service. I suspect the people who work here just volunteer for free golf......but they had no respect for the paying customer.

Fun day

Some greens had bad spots and around the edge of some where like putting on a big rock. Drink prices are way to high. Very strict about not bringing your own food or beverages. One hole the flag could not stand up in the hole because it had sand in it.

An overall good course

Fairways are lush, greens are smooth, and most tee boxes are excellent. Besides the few in repair and a couple of holes with repair going on around a few of the greens, the course is great. No easy holes, fairways are mounded and greens are either small, or well protected. The course can be stretched to be pretty long. A few blind shots which were tough to navigate being a first time player at the course. Overall had a great time playing the course, but if you want perfection, you will have to wait as the course is having some face-lifting done on a few tee boxes and greens 17/18 are being worked on.

My only complaints come in terms with the underwhelming clubhouse. No selection of gear really, small selection of food and drink, and overall just not up to snuff in terms of the amount you pay for the round. The people are great, the course is great, but the clubhouse is in need of some renovations. The course does offer a great driving range and is probably the best I have seen in VA. Putting and chipping green is nice, has a practice bunker as well. Carts were also very nice, included ball cleaner, club cleaner, divot fill, seats were cushioned and new, cart was solid and plenty of places to organize your stuff.

Overall the course and round was enjoyable. If you don't mind an underwhelming clubhouse and can bring your own food and drink, the round at Pendleton will be enjoyable.

Great Course, poor management

Pendleton GC was in amazing condition even on a day with cart path only conditions after the area had lots of rain the day prior. One of the best maintained courses in the DC area, and definately a hidden gem. However I have a major issue with the management.
I booked 3 tee times for 12 golfers prior to the COVID pandemic and also personally took a lesson from the PGA Pro in February of this year.
A week prior to our outing I called the pro shop and was told that the course had limited carts so the one person per cart rule would be tough to comply with on a weekend but the manager said that he would try his best.
2 days prior to our outing the manager said that it would be okay to walk but it was highly discouraged because of the size of the course.
On the morning of our weekend round I was extremely disappointed when 3 of our 8 players who decided to walk had to pay the usual $70 greens and cart fee? The pro told me that the course doesn't have a separate fee for walkers?
Really?? During these difficult times and the COVID pandemic walking is encouraged in order to adhere to the social distancing guidelines.
Needless to say I won't be coming back which is sad because this really is a nice course but this was unacceptable and shouldn't be tolerated.

Never disappoints

Great day of golf. Course was a little wetter than usual but still had a blast. Played 18 in about 3 hours. Staff top notch as usual. One of the best courses in the area.

The course is in outstanding condition

Took a group of 8 friends to play and used one of their six pack deals, $37.50 after 11 AM on the weekend. Price was great. The bermuda grass fairways were like hitting off a full soft carpet. The greens were smooth and a little quick. The staff is friendly and pace of play was good. I play many local courses and none are in better condition. Take the time to go to Pendleton, worth the trip.

A Nice Course To Escape From The Norm

I played Pendleton Golf Course the afternoon following the end of the British Open (sorry…*ahem* Open Championship!) as a way of seeking an outlet for the game we see on TV that we all wish we could emulate. This was my first time playing here and it turned out to be a perfect choice!

Getting to the course was a bit of a challenge: if you’re coming from the south, Google will direct you down a gated service goat path instead of the course’s long driveway guarded by no less than seven 5-mph speed bumps. This is a small criticism in the grand scheme of things but holy suspension pains, Batman! Please get rid of these!

The course’s website advertises the Thomas Walker layout as “Like playing in Scotland without the airfare.” Well, close. Not sure whoever wrote that headline has actually been to Scotland (full disclosure: I haven’t either) but this course is not the wide open, generally flat Scottish links-style with pot bunkers and massive greens that we associate with St. Andrews and other famous Scottish courses. Instead, this course does bear a resemblance to Irish links, with several blind approach shots, tall fescue grass and mounds guarding many fairways, and many greens that sit more in a bowl than on top of a hill. It’s kind of like a poor-man’s Royal New Kent, and considering RNK is my favorite course in all of Virginia, that’s far from an insult.

The conditions of the course were very good, with only slight signs of browning from the harsh summer heat, the course was holding up quite well. Green speeds were slower as you might expect to save them from roasting; the fairways, bunkers, and rough were in good shape as well. There were some bare drainage ruts here and there but nothing that really affected play.

The staff was very friendly, the amenities onsite just OK (despite a sign pointing me in its direction I never did find the practice putting green). The round was about $50 for a Sunday afternoon, not bad, but not an amazing value either. Because of the unique layout and favorable conditions, I plan to return later this year to play again when it’s a bit cooler.

Excellent Shape; Excellent Layout

Greens had some fertilizer on them but they still rolled true. And with it being hot completely understandable. Played this course last year and loved it. I still love it. If I was less than an hour away (1.45 hours), I would play it more. Just and outstanding layout. Fairways were pristine. Have already told a bunch of friends. Look into their 6 pack deals.

Philly Advisor

off season

Dorman grass, soft surface conditions, cold air and wind put my senior partner and I on the forward tees. We could have used some locals to play with for help with a couple holes. Other than that it was a good layout using mounding and bunkers to guard the fairways and affect approach shots. Par 3 third hole is a keeper for sure. The par 5's had a variety of design and challenge to them with the double fairway 15th topping the list.

Awesome Layout & Conditions

Drove by on my way home from Christopher Newport (I-95 was backed up). Did some research and played on 1 Nov - 70 degree day. Best greens I have putted on this year!! Excellent layout. Staff was great. I will be back numerous times the next 3 years while on my way to see my daughter's volleyball matches at CNU. I will even get my friends to make the drive during the spring & summer.

Maryland Advisor

A Hidden Gem

Haven't played Pendleton in over 10 years, and had forgotten how difficult this tract is. You definitely have to think your way around this course, and pick your landing areas. There are a lot of bunker complexes--both in the fairway in strategic places and at the greens. There isn't just a bunker here or there, there are multiple bunkers placed in complexes that cover a lot of yardage and often very deep. They are beautiful and certainly add to the aesthetics of the course, but stay out of them! The fairways were in great shape, as were the bunkers---nice sand and recently raked. The greens were also in excellent shape, and ran true and a little on the fast side. On a Monday afternoon on our drive down to Williamsburg, this was a great stop on the way. We had the course almost to ourselves, pace was great, and the course was in wonderful shape--much better than I anticipated. Staff was very nice and accommodating. Definitely a must play when in the area, but take your patience.

Winter Damage Evident

Second time playing this course and the biggest difference is the clear damage to many of the fairways, bunkers and almost all of the skirt areas around the green. The area has seen a lot of rain lately so it was cart path only. The course layout and the green complexes throughout the 18 holes make this course a solid track. Greens are in good shape despite all the rain lately. This course is currently not worth the 65.00 they charge on weekends due to the conditions of many of the fairways and nearly all the areas around the greens. Hopefully when things dry out the fairways and areas around the greens heal up. There is a complete practice area with grass range, bunker area and good size practice green. I do recommend this course just not for the current price they charge.

Solid track

Very solid all around course. Five sets of tees so you can find something that fits your game. Plenty of blind shots off the tees so aim for the 150 stake and you should be fine. I really liked the layout. It is very fair. The layout rewards good shots but doesn't totally kill you on bad ones. Lots of hills and little depressions throughout the course in the rough. The greens were in solid shape considering the large amount of rain in the area this August. There were a few divots that hadn't been fixed but that's on the players not the course staff. Many greens are multi tiered or sloped from back to front. Pace of play was ok for a Holiday. The starter was super friendly and informative before we teed off. The pro shop staff was indifferent in my opinion. They didn't wow me with kindness but they weren't rude either. Overall the course is in solid shape right now just not sure it is worth $60 when you can get better deals at some nicer courses in the area with GolfNow. I do recommend this course.

pleasent surprise

it had been a few years since we played this course,Wow what a big surprise! course has really matured well.everything was in great shape and considering the heat spell we've had the greens were near perfect.fairways were dry and firm but grass was very playable, did not have a bad lie all day.will be back when it cools down some but do yourself a favor and play this place you won't regret it.

Best Buy

Best golf for the money in the area around Richmond. 40 minutes from Mechanicsville, course was in fantastic shape. It was not crowded at all even as I was leaving. Fairways were perfect! Greens smooth as silk. Challenges on every hole but fair. Will definitely be playing again soon, can't wait.

Unique. Rolling. Lots of comtour

First before I forget, earlier review said not for high handicapper but I disagree. Not a lot of major issues, does not play long , and plenty tee boxes for your skill level. I always play white and friend who plays short plays gold tees and he thoroughly enjoyed it . Yes lots of contour and very unique the way fairways roll , but makes very very interesting layout. Front nine fantastic, but back nine has plenty of power lines that distract from the very natural feel rest of course gives you . Enjoyed the different lies and the unique hole designs make for interesting round . Will be back with another high handicap player who I think will enjoy the challenge . Just choose right tee box for your skill level and enjoy the day.

Up and down

Let me start by saying there's an asterisk to my claim or not first time playing: this was my 2nd time, the first being my first ever round of golf. Wanted to coma back and tackle the beast that got me hooked! Overall the course was in god shape, the scenic countryside feel of the course is beautiful, though the distance between holes on the back 9 is quite far, sometimes almost a minute Carr ride. The green on 10 was rough and the bunkers felt like packed clay, but the fairways and 1st cut were nice. One of the more challenging courses I've played in the Richmond area, huge potential for difficult lies on steep hills if your aim isn't dead on. Very fun round, I like a challenge so I enjoyed playing some tough lies your won't have the opportunity to experience on many other courses in the area.

The good, the bad and the ugly

Good: course in good shape - fairways and greens good...challenging greens, but fun. Scenic course in central VA.

Bad: Not a course for beginners or high handicappers (IMO)....if you like lots of mounds, deep swales, and blind shots then this course is for you. On several holes there was no obvious entry to the green so forced to walk up or down steep slopes...thot it was a bit pricey for the experience.

Ugly: we played with 2 wounded warriors...one of whom was a beginner....we were keeping pace but on 13 an a-hole behind us hit a shot onto the green while we were putting...no apology...

Not a course I would play again, but overall the company and experience was positive.

Ruther Glen, Virginia