Type Public/Resort

Year Built 2000
Fairways Zoysia Grass
Architect Denis Griffiths (2000)

Carts Yes - included in green fee

Golf Simulator Yes

• Golf Advisor: Top Courses in Tennessee (2018 #7)

Unfriendly Staff

The staff was unfriendly, rude and unhelpful. We unloaded our own clubs, loaded them on the cart, unloaded them from the cart. It was 98 degrees and it took 5 hours to play a round of golf. The marshalll came by once on the 16 hole where 3 foursomes were backed up. We wait on every hole and every shot.. Great track well maintained, but the management and help need to be replaced. We had a 2nd rounded scheduled later in the week but cancelled it because of this experience.

Great course... high price.

I played the General’s Retreat Course and was very impressed with the condition and facility. A couple negatives were lack of greeting when dropping off clubs. Having to load and unload my clubs. Could use a few more staff members for greeting and experience. The biggest negative was that the price was the same all day... whether playing early morning or afternoon. I played later in the day when much hotter which usually results in a lower rate.

Tennessee Advisor

Spectacular Track in Great Shape, but Long Round

The course was really backed up all afternoon to the extent that we had 7 people tee off 18 at the same time because there were four groups waiting. Just too many people, but it's easy to understand the demand. The layout never gets dull and the course/greens is/are in great shape considering the hot and dry weather in the last two months. You can score here if you can keep it straight -- the rare exquisite course that isn't too hard for the weekend warrior.

Top Notch Public Course

Playing today for the first time, I was definitely wowed by how well the course was maintained for it only being early April. The greens rolled fast and true and the fairways played great. In general, this is one of my favorite course layouts; never once did I feel a hole was "unfair," yet I felt every hole had great risk-reward opportunities built in. Shot poorly on the front (my back, we went off 10) which put a damper in the round, but I definitely want to come back when my swing hopefully has a little more confidence later in the season. Would definitely recommend this course to a friend, though it is a little bit more on the expensive side but not outrageous.

One of the Best Public Courses I've played!

Course was in fantastic shape. Greens were quick but receptive. Fairways in tour-perfect condition, bunkers clean and raked, rough thick but not too penal.

Layout was refreshing. It felt like I was playing a resort course. Course wasn't overly long, even from the tips, and the course has a few great short-4s that require strategic play (with options) and wedge execution. Also, a fantastic set of Par 3 holes.

All in all, this is one of the best public courses I've played from a course condition perspective and from a layout perspective. 10/10.

Worth the Visit

Played Presidents Reserve early on Sunday, great pace of play. Sheep were roaming the course after the turn. Course is in very good condition. Definitely a course to play in Nashville.

Nice Course

Nice layout with some long holes and some reachable par 5's in two. Condition of the course was very good, but some of the bunkers needed some attention. Greens had been aerated about two weeks prior to my play, but were in good shape. Horned sheep roam several areas of the property and seemed unconcerned about any golfers. They generally stayed out of the way and were something different to look at on the course.

Great Nashville Course

The President's Reserve Course at Hermitage is a great place to play with a group of buddies. This course gets a lot of weekend traffic, but the pace of play is generally pretty good. Rangers on the course are a little gruff, but with the volume of play that's to be expected I guess. Good layout, but nothing mindblowing or particularly memorable. Course was cart path only on most of the holes we played, so that slowed things down a bit. Good clubhouse with lots of beer selections at good prices. The driving range is far too small for a course that receives this much play on the weekends. Overall though, a nice course that's not too challenging to make it painful for a beginner golfer.

Fun track!

I think they did a great job with President's Reserve - the newer track at the Hermitage.

20 of us had a great weekend in May staying in the cabins. They did a truly fantastic job putting that setup together. The condos are surprisingly luxurious and the proximity to each other gave the group space but allowed us to be together at the same time.

President's Reserve was fantastic. Resort style with wide open fairways, but really interesting holes (some of which run along the adjacent river). The condition was good to very good (I really like perfect tee boxes, and these were not), but the greens rolled great. If I were to return, I would schedule every single round on Presidents and avoid General altogether. In my humble opinion, the two simply do not compare.

Fix your ball marks.

Every part of the course was in very good condition except the greens. There were ball marks everywhere. It didn't look like the green was healing well. I don't know why everyone likes Presidents Reserve more than Generals Retreat. There's no shade on P.R. I was pretty bored with that course. The only reason i'd play again is if my friends choose this course to play. I'd much rather play General's Retreat any day.

Annual Nashville trip with 14 other golfers, we usually play either the General or the Reserve, both really good, but I prefer the Reserve. Saw the sheep for the first time roaming the course, you don't see that everyday.
When you play this course you are kind of out there all by yourself. This course is separate from the rest of the facility since it was built after, so it is secluded.
As usual, the course was in great shape. It is hard to think there are any better courses in Nashville, public or private, when it comes to the conditions. The Reserve has wide fairways (although not wide enough for me yesterday), is well bunkered, and the greens were firm, but held and putted true.
The only negative is the price, $80 on the weekend Fri-Sun, $10 less during the week. I guess to have facilities like that you have to charge more, but a senior rate would be nice. If you get a chance try it, you will like it.

Mount Juliet, Tennessee