Vineyard Valley Golf Club

Practice Hole No

Credit Cards Accepted Yes
Single Allowed No

Restaurant

• Golf Advisor: Top 25 Most Improved U.S. Golf Courses (2018 #15)
  • Golf Advisor: Top Courses in Connecticut (2018 #10)

Tee boxes are a wreck.
Greens very slow, but we are in a heat wave so mowing them would probably kill them.
Scenic views from 7th tee.
7th is the most fun hole I played in some time. Your tee shot stays in the air so long you thing you are Bryson Dechambeau..

Love this place

Love playing here. I have fun every time. Always meet new people. Pace of play is great. The owner is one of the nicest people you could ever meet.

Connecticut Advisor

Scenic Views, But Needs Better Conditioning

Vineyard Valley, built—as its name suggests—over a former vineyard, derives energy from its mix of doglegs, and its variation between up and downhill holes. The course was constructed on a good, if extremely hilly site. The seventh has the largest drop from tee to fairway of any hole I've encountered in Connecticut; from down by the clubhouse, it looks like a Vermont ski slope. The par-3 ninth is a sterling golf hole, and 5 and 8 are fairly good par 4's. Most of the difficulty of the course stems from big sidehill lies (a nice gentleman I played with here for the last few holes told me the course has almost no flat lies; I certainly didn't have any throughout the nine).

What I don't see the point of, though, the way most green complexes here are designed: they possess small and flat—often quite flat—greens that were more suited to executive courses (with short holes) than a layout of this length and potential. Granted, there are few greenside bunkers here, but these are the one defense—used only sporadically—around the putting surfaces.

The conditioning I observed here did not meet a reasonable standard for serious play. Both fairways and rough were marred by crabgrass, clover, and other weeds. Bunkers were filled with weeds, some of them tall. Nearly undefined fringes didn't help, and greens were ultra-show in speed, my putts bumping their way to the holes. The net effect was of a layout without mowing lines from the tees and into the greens, as only the greens were set apart visually. Many of the tees—although not all—were chewed up. Unfortunately, conditioning of this caliber affects the overall playing experience.

As at least one GA reviewer has noted before me, this could be an attractive venue if the owner(s) were to put something more than basic efforts into the conditioning. It deserves better. Some of these reviewers, too, insinuate that the course isn't fit for even casual play, but I respectfully disagree and would call it fine for a good percentage of golfers. Despite the conditioning, I still essentially enjoyed my nine holes here; after all, it's golf!

The chief benefit of playing here is experiencing some of the finest scenery you'll find anywhere as you get up (quickly) onto the massive hill on which this course is built.

Best Hole: The course's best hole comes at the concluding ninth, a nifty par-3 nearly surrounded by water. This variation is better than the standard, totally penal island green, because it allows a bail-out area behind the green, with water on its front and two sides. You'll need a straight tee shot on this one.

Most Difficult Hole: A par-five less than 500 yards, six nonetheless runs straight uphill between the woods on the left and a huge, rambling, impressive-looking modern mansion. The views are magical up here, but the green is very small and basically blind from the fairway. Although the fairway is wide enough, straight and straighter is the order of business on this imposing hole.

Other notes, comments, opinions:
(a) Noted a generally careful response to Covid-19 pandemic.
(b) Friendly gentleman at check-in.
(c) Course was quite busy.
(d) Great scenic, drive through the Connecticut countryside to get here; course itself is located on a scenic drive itself through farmland and mainly pristine forests.

Fun

Had a good time playing the corse with friends. Good pace and friendly people

Good round

We had a very nice round. . Played right along and staff was very friendly. I booked on Golf now and was treated very well. Enjoyed it lWill be back soon even though it’s almost an hour drive for me. About 20 minutes for the friend I played with. Thumbs up.

Glad I played this course! I live close and thought it would be very hilly, I was wrong. Great layout! Fun course. Definitely recommend this course.

This course has great 9th hole, it is an island green-par of three surrounded by water. Great view from the top of the seventh tee box.

Course in great condition and very friendly staff. great accommodation and safety guidelines for COVID-19

Great views

Early in season condition was ok and as to be expected. Very reasonably priced 9 holes with cart $23.00. great views from 6,7 and 8 holes. Friendly staff; guy who cleans the carts is a hard-working righteous dude. Things that were not good was the complete disorganization at the tee box. Tee times are ignored. We waited an hour; tee time was at 2 got out at 3. Not enough carts (had to wait for them to be returned as people finished their round. All in all not a bad little course. If I lived near by might try every once in a while. I live 45 mins away and would not travel that far again to play.

A decent, cheap 9 hole course

The course is hilly, the conditions are poor, but the staff is friendly and the price is right.

Pleasant Suprise!

Played Vineyard Vines with my son and 2 of his college roommates. After reading some of the reviews I didn’t know what to expect. It was outstanding!
This was during the Clovis-19 deal so things were different than normal operations. Jabbar the owner and Otis (starter and great guy) do a wonderful job of keeping things moving. The place was packed!
There is a driving range and putting green to warm up as well before your round, all very reasonably priced.
Folks must have proper expectations here, this is not Augusta National. VVGC is built on a former wine vineyard, with incredible views throughout the course. It is an old school 9 hole track and traditional par 36.
This an ideal club for beginners, juniors, couples as well as experienced golfers.
Jabbar and Otis are good dudes who just want you to have fun and enjoy their course, and we did just that....we had a blast.
Although Vineyard Valley is an hour drive from my home, I will absolutely be back, and plan to bring some of my hometown buddies with me. Also going to my son and his college buds back again soon.
Tip of the cap to Big Otis and Jabbar, until we meet again my friends, keep up the good work!
Best
Roger

Ownership disinterested in service-will never play this course again.

Called the day before and told by the owner that 9 am was the first t-time and we agreed I would go off then as a single. Showed up at 8:45, no one in the club house. Waited till 9:15, called the owner's cell phone and he told me he would be there soon. Didn't get out till 9:45, yet no explanation and no apology for not opening up at 9 am. Plus was charged $33 after he told me the senior rate was $30, which is posted on the web site. [Because of the CoVid-19 restrictions wasn't given a paper receipt so didn't know I had been over charged until I saw it on my credit card statement.]
Would never play this course again because of the lack of customer service and honesty...very disappointed.

Massachusetts Golfers stay away !!

Called on 3/28 at 10 am about afternoon availability for Myself and a junior golfer. the person I spoke to said the tee times were slowing down and he could get us out 1230 NO Problem. I asked if he wanted my name for a time and was told NOT NECESSARY, Arrived at 1215 and encountered the person i spoke to outside with a butt hanging out of his mouth who informed me NO TEE TIME, NO GOLF. My disappointed junior and I decide to leave knowing it wasn't worth a conflict.
On another note, the course from what I could see is in really poor condition,the building housing the clubhouse in disrepair along with a restroom that looked like it hadn't been cleaned in months.
If you like playing golf with guys in jeans and construction boots and drinking in the parking lot, then I would Highly recommend this otherwise STAY AWAY

Pleasantly surprised

I played this course 2 years ago,price was great. The course needed some TLC.Today I played at Vineyard Valley at a amazing price $21 for 18 holes with cart. The course was in nice shape. This course has some of the most beautiful scenery I have seen.The gentleman working the pro shop was very friendly. I had a great experience

Great for the price.

It was a decent course with some beautiful views. Staff friendly and overall great deal!

Woodstock, Connecticut