Old Works Golf Club
Limestone (W) 72 6144 yards 74.6 135
Brick 72 5348 yards 65.1 105
Brick (W) 72 5348 yards 70.4 124
Scorecard for Old Works Golf Course
Slag M: 75.8/135 451 361 587 195 463 600 238 435 485 3815 442 597 445 206 443 644 471 202 440 3890 7705
Gold M: 73.4/131 424 334 555 187 454 570 215 389 427 3555 422 581 421 177 409 605 459 171 411 3656 7211
Copper M: 71.6/125 416 310 532 170 424 552 190 360 404 3358 396 546 397 156 380 573 436 160 374 3418 6776
Limestone M: 68.5/113 W: 74.3/133 392 260 504 156 387 497 174 331 363 3064 353 502 343 137 338 522 395 149 341 3080 6144
Brick M: 65.0/103 W: 70.1/122 321 219 448 136 310 459 121 302 315 2631 298 455 312 111 299 470 348 126 298 2717 5348

Year Built 1997
Fairways Fescue
Greens Bent
Golf Season April - October
Architect Jack Nicklaus (1997)

Practice Hole Yes

Single Allowed No
Dress code Proper golf attire.

• Golf Advisor: Top Courses in Mountain West (2018 #15)

A Bucket list/Top 100 Pick 6

Requires accuracy off tee or you’ll be looking for ball in deep rough Greens were excellent shape and fast. Pace of play was slow 5 hours at midday

Fun and challenging

Very nice course. Holes well designed and interesting. Greens are large, fast and with subtle breaks. Lucky to 2 putt a hole. Fun to see the history of the place all around you. Sand takes a bit getting used to. Be sure to hit a few out of the sand in the practice area before teeing off.

Good course

We have played Old Works for years. This year the course is in better shape than previous (wetter) years. They had a tournament that slowed us down, 2 hours on the front, 3 hours on the back, but great day .

Very good conditioned course

Enjoyed the course. Tough layout, particularly with wind conditions. Only drawback was very slow play. Nearly 5 hours.

Old works golf

Great layout, only 17 holes open due to erosion, no reduced rate, the temporary green was just cut in the fairway and not good!

Idaho Advisor

Great track, interesting features...

The signature element of Old Works is the black slag bunkers, and you can’t miss them when you are on the course. In fact to me, at first, they kept appearing to be water rather than traps. Fortunately, they don’t play like water if you find yourself in one (as I did on two occasions). While they don’t play exactly the same as a standard sand bunker, I felt they played true and had no problem with them. My best shot of the day was arguably a 7 iron from 174 out of a fairway slag waste area where I had absolutely no problem picking the ball clean off the glistening black surface.

Beyond the traps, there is some good golf to be played at Old Works. I think the course probably plays a bit tougher later in the year when some of the grass gets a bit thicker in the rough areas (which benefitted me on a day I wasn’t as precise as I’d like to have been off the tee). However, the Nicolaus course winding through an EPA super-fund site still presents plenty of challenge and there are tee boxes available for every ability. As you play the upper portions of the course, don’t miss the ruins of the “Old Works” themselves; it’s pretty cool climbing from the 5th green to the 6th tee box through the brick foundations of what was once a bustling industrial complex.

This track has a links feel to it, without many trees or a lot of water (although the bunkers lulled me to sleep and when I first looked at the one pond on the course, I thought it was a fairway waste area). There is a creek running by the clubhouse which you will cross a couple of times (more depending on which tees you play), but it really does not come into play very much. There is a bit of elevation change and some tricky angles and hazards. While Old Works has some holes that can be scored upon, it also has a few that will take a stroke (or more) away from you for an errant shot.

The view from the tips on #1 is worth taking in, even if you don’t play back from back there. It is opposite the creek from the other tees and we didn’t even see it until we were heading to the parking lot after our round. You fire over the creek (with a decent carry) into a relatively small visible landing area. It left me wishing, at least for that hole, I had played all the way back.

The staff at Old Works was nothing short of wonderful; friendly, helpful, and eager to chat about the course for which they clearly have affection. It is also well maintained by a grounds crew that, despite me being first off in the morning, managed to be largely invisible as we made our way around the grounds. Pace of play was brisk when I started off and as far as I can tell stayed that way as the morning went on.

I would certainly play Old Works again and recommend it based on more than just the novelty of the black bunkers. Without them this course would be more than worth your time (with them, it’s even better).

Old Works

This course is a very beautiful setting in an old mining town with challenging holes. Fun for anyone. Pace of play was excellent. Fairways were a bit soft, greens are small and will challenge anyone my

Very interesting but playable course

The course was in good condition. Fairways were excellent and greens good. Challenging but playable for all skill levels.

Bad greens

Greens in atrocious condition for $95.00 green fee.

Fair & fun course

This is the best Nicklaus course I've played out of 6. Generous fairways but trouble if you miss them. Greens have lots of slope yet they are not impossible. A mix of a few hard holes (10 & 11), some intermediate difficulty and a few easy holes. Lots of black slag bunkering but room to miss them. This is a must play course if you are anywhere in the area. The price is fair too .

Alberta Advisor

Old Works GC

This course has been on my "gotta play it" list for a couple of years. So on my way back from attending the 2015 US Open at Chambers Bay, I took a big detour to scratch that itch. Old Works was everything I had anticipated it to be...friendly service, superb conditioning, upwards of 5 tee boxes on most holes, wide open fairways, elevation changes, fantastic bunkering, great routing, expansive views, large rolling greens and for an opportunity to play a Jack Nicklaus course, it is very affordable. Take advantage of their play all day offer. Old Works is definitely a course that is worth the drive to play.

Amazing views

Course staff is extremely friendly and knowledgeable. They highlight hole playing in a few minutes. Fairways were like playing on carpet. Great shape all around. Played in unbelievable winds. So strong they impacted putting. Beautiful views throughout the course. Challenging but not too difficult for an average golfer.

oldworks
Commented On 11/25/2014

Thank you for your great review Kygrace! Hope it's not so windy if you are able to visit again! -Ryan

Fabulous Course

This is a beautifully groomed course, in excellent condition and fun to play. The facilities are first class and the staff is most helpful. Would recommend this to anyone.

oldworks
Commented On 11/25/2014

Glad you had fun zaralogan! Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. Hope to see you again soon.

A real surprise !

Great course, I would rate it one of the better courses in USA .

Beautiful course,but slooooooowww

We played Saturday afternoon and Sunday morning. Saturday couldn't have been better, except for the damage on the right side of #6 that I had to putt through(no g.u.r.). Sunday there was a problem on #3 when a lady walking the trail above the golf course had loose dogs that tore the leg off of a baby deer. She did and said nothing! A member of my group got the dogs off of the fawn and it hopped across the fairway on 3 legs. It was disturbing and messed up my friend's round. When we got to #10 there were 2 other groups waiting to tee off. We went back to the pro shop and were told that there was no Marshall. The young lady was very friendly and called the asst. pro off of the course. He came and told us that all the groups were on time and that we were 5 minutes ahead. That was as frustrating as the 30 minute wait on #10 tee. Is 5 hours the norm? Besides all that I would recommend the beautiful gem that Mr. Nicklaus did a spectacular job on.

Great views

The course was great. We played at 8am the green sprinklers were in every hole had to wait to putt

Great greens and fairways

A little chilly for mid June with fresh snow on mountains but beautiful anyway

Mother Nature Stayed Her Hand Just Long Enough

A substantial snow storm on I-15 had me worried that I would not be playing this headliner on my golf vacation late on a Tuesday p.m. It was still chilly (June 17?), but the skies cleared long enough to get in 18 at this absolute jewel. It was everything I had hoped, and much more. Why Nicklaus chose this somewhat offbeat location is a mystery, but I cannot question his results. Brilliant! The conditions are up to Jack's standards, but the unique mining features elevate it beyond any other Nicklaus course I have ever played. The history piques my interest based on my family's mining heritage . The lack of fairway bunkers made this less punitive than others of his design, but much more fair. The black slag bunkers are very cool. One of my all-time favorite courses. I could play it for a week. Hopefully next time.

grear black traps to stay out of

An affordable nicklas course everyone needs to play. A historic smelting town and an excellant example of reclamation.

Valid dates: May 23, 2019 - Jun 30, 2019
2 Nights lodging at the Best Western Plus of Santee (or comparable lodging partner) and play 3 Rounds of golf on Santee Cooper Resort’s two courses.
Stay and Play
Stay & Play in Golf’s Little Big Town!
Stay and Play
Summer Golf Getaway in Santee!
Stay and Play
Come play in the Olde English District!
Summer Special in Greenville, SC