Staff Friendliness

McDowell Mountain Golf Club provides an eco-friendly option in Scottsdale - a pretty setting, too, on the McDowell Mountains' western slope. The golf course was designed by the architect Randy Heckenkemper, who turned what had been the Bureau of Reclamation's storm-water-retention area into a top Scottsdale golf course, with 6,624-yards of par-71 golf laid out over what truly tries to be a sanctuary for the indigenous flora and fauna. McDowell Mountain Golf Club's signature hole is the 18th, a 516-yard par 5 that allows you finish your round of golf in risk-reward style, with an eagle or birdie practically begging to be attempted - though it might be just as easy to double-bogey. A bunker on the right guards a skinny landing area, while a wicked wash awaits on the left, but, hit that drive right, and you might just make the green in two. After your round of golf on the golf course, head back to the restaurant, where you can take your breakfast or lunch daily in the dining room or on the patio - and take in vistas of the golf course and Camelback Mountain.
McDowell Mountain Golf Club
Scorecard for McDowell Mountain Golf Club
Black M: 73.3/137 429 366 225 575 402 394 432 191 542 3556 440 448 380 532 161 474 339 234 508 3516 7072
Black/Gold M: 71.4/134 397 366 196 541 402 394 404 163 542 3405 422 421 380 532 161 435 339 201 382 3273 6678
Gold M: 70.2/131 397 331 196 541 374 337 404 163 510 3253 422 421 353 498 132 435 310 201 382 3154 6407
Gold/White M: 68.5/124 397 331 196 541 374 337 404 163 510 3253 404 390 310 466 99 378 266 156 347 2816 6069
White M: 67.0/118 W: 72.4/127 368 303 147 503 332 271 360 153 471 2908 404 390 310 466 99 378 266 156 347 2816 5724
Red W: 67.9/114 336 250 109 461 298 240 308 94 407 2503 316 309 266 435 69 314 239 102 327 2377 4880

Year Built 1999
Fairways Bermuda
Greens TiffDwarf Bermuda
Architect Randy Heckenkemper (1999)

Pull-carts No

Golf School Academy Yes - "Rick Smith Golf Academy"

Credit Cards Accepted Yes
Dress code Collared shirt required, no denim

The only person that was helpful was the cart and bag staff. The gentleman at the desk wasn’t very personable. It’s summer and I saw the cart girl just twice the entire round and that was just the front 9. Course layout was okay though it felt as if it was kinda thrown together along the canal and under some power lines. Had a hole or two that was covered in range balls at the landing areas of your drive. I play callaway balls and they use callaway range balls so it was an Easter egg hunt locating my ball. Over all it was an okay experience. Not the greatest and would have expected a troon type experience especially being a Phil Mickelson course and located where it was. Had more of a municipal feel. I’d say I played it but not sure if it would be my first mention for courses in the area but we shall see I plan on playing talking stick this week
Staff Friendliness Fair
Off-course amenities Average
Value for the Money Average
Course Layout Average

Great layout!

This course is a fun layout for many people to enjoy. The staff was extremely friendly, and was very helpful. The only bad thing was the course punched a month ago and the greens were a little slower. Back nine needed a little more water but overall the course was good for an Arizona course in the summer.
Course Layout Excellent
Course Layout Good

McDowell Mountain Great layout - terrible customer service.

I just recently played McDowell Mountain for the first time. I had heard great things about it and I was excited to play. Unfortunately upon my arrival at the golf course my excitement went south very quickly . From the bag drop to the beverage cart no one was friendly with the exception of the bartender. The staff acted like they were being inconvenienced with us coming to play. Something as simple as a "Thank You for coming" or "are you enjoying the golf course" just makes sense to me in this very competitive golf industry.
Staff Friendliness Poor
xjackflashx
Commented On 08/03/2018
I couldn’t have said it better
Value for the Money Excellent
Course Layout Excellent

Upper mid range Phoenix course with beautiful views

This course is situated in the McDowell mountain foothills with beautiful views to the west across the Phoenix valley. Got a $5 discount for my son who is 16 and free warm up range balls which was a nice surprise based off of prior reviews here. Teed off right on time and finished on pace in 4 hrs 15 minutes. Saw rangers 3 times and they seemed to be keeping play moving. The course was in good but not great shape - greens were very firm, fairways in decent shape but maybe a little ragged on the edges, there were a few muddy spots, and the sand in the bunkers was thin and not quite the best. The course is tight in some spots and sits side hill with several holes featuring severe doglegs that can be tough to find the lines off the tee the first time you play. Expect a few pin placements where you’ll have little to no chance of getting close due to the severity of the slopes on some greens. It isn’t particularly long with several drivable par 4’s and manageable par 3’s. Cart and bag drop staff was efficient but not overly friendly. It was an absolutely beautiful March day in Phoenix for golf, too.
Staff Friendliness Good
Off-course amenities Average
Course Layout Good

Why rip us off at the turn?

It’s a nice course, good conditions and I think fairly priced. That said, why do you have to rip off your clients in the clubhouse? When the hard looking waitress handed over 4 boiled, garage sale quality hot dogs and smirked while saying $28, I just about fell over. Our entire group went from thinking this was a good course where I would be happy to play again to feeling cheated. I would not play there again, simply because whoever runs the snack bar had to milk us for an extra $20. Bad management.
Staff Friendliness Average
Off-course amenities Fair
Course Conditions Excellent
Value for the Money Fair

Good news, Bad news

Good news: A very fair test. Conditions very good, greens fast and tricky, but very fair and fun to play. Marshall kept an excellent pace (we saw him 3 times), lots of choices of tee boxes (played the Gold/White combo), I'd play again anytime. Bad News: Range balls ($12 for a medium bucket!!) should be included in green fees. That is cheap. No photos of hole layouts on scorecard. WHY NOT? As a first time player, I didn't know the layout at all. No GPS on carts. WHY NOT?? Again, that information is vital for new visitors to the course.

Nice round

Course is in great shape and this is a great value in PHX.
Course Conditions Excellent
Value for the Money Excellent

Like the course but....

Let me first say that we enjoy the course, the greens are good, love the after golf set up. We played here 2 years ago when in town for golf. This year we played two days at McDowell Mtn. We teed off the first day at 12:30. The group we were behind took 15 minutes from their 2nd shots just to get to the green. As we were waiting, the marshal (Norman) came by and I gave him a heads up that if the group in front of us continued at this pace, it would make for a long day. He said he really didn't want to say anything as it was just the first hole. Eventually the pace picked up some and we were enjoying our round of golf. On the 15th tee we were approached by Norman at which time he asked if we would skip a hole. He said he was concerned that a few groups, several holes behind us (who by the way were members), would not be able to complete their rounds before sundown. We politely declined. The more we thought about it, we got a little upset about that notion. It's not our fault that the people behind us didn't get earlier tee times. And the fact that they were members suggests to me that they know when the sun goes down, so don't gripe about now having adequate time for your round. But most importantly, why should we have to cut our golf short. We paid our fees. We played again 2 days later with good pace of play and got 36 holes in.
Staff Friendliness Average