Tour 18 Dallas

Preferred (W) 72 6202 yards 77.7 149
Preferred 72 6202 yards 70.6 128
Forward (W) 72 5493 yards 74.0 140
Forward 72 5493 yards 67.3 121

Location is in the 'burbs worth the drive near the airport   Great for advanced golfers entertaining clients a weekend splurge   Challenges include bunkers undulating greens water hazards   Great for drinks watching the game 19th hole scenic views

"Good shape and value"

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/17/2017

Greens and fairway in good to excellent condition. Played at 9am on Sunday and pace was 4:10.

Got a great price through GolfNow. Would definitely recommend to friends.

"Great layout"

asviray's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/14/2018

Layout is great. Loved the tpc island green and the amen corner. Greens extremely fast. Fairways are in good condition but dormant - brown in color. Staff very friendly.

"The greens need attention ASAP, they're not in the shape they used to be in."

bsachse's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/04/2018
Previously played Used cart Cold weather

A little backstory:

I have played at Tour 18 quite a few times in the past (not very recent as of late, but just played on Super Bowl Sunday) and I have always been impressed with the course as a whole. The fairways were always in great shape, the Bermuda rough was cut at a proper level, and the greens were well kept and played true to what you'd find in TX. The putting green and range was always in decent shape, even with the high volume it receives. The staff is inviting and they have Course Marshalls checking you in at Hole 1, as well as checking pace of play throughout the course. Overall, it was a great experience to be able to play on some of the most famous PGA Tour holes from around the country.

2/4/18:

We decided to book an early AM tee time before the Super Bowl, as we knew there shouldn't be many people out. The weather was good for being in "Winter" (temps were around 50 degrees at Hole 1, 70 degrees by the turn with maybe 5-10mph winds). When we got inside the clubhouse, the staff was friendly as in the past. We were informed that we were one of the first to tee off for the day, but that there were some groups behind us (Great! It's rare to not have a group in front of you, unless you tee off at 7:30am) When we got to the range you could tell the course isn't being maintained very well. Even though it's winter time, you can still tell what type of condition the grass is in, especially when winter seed is used because it's green. The driving range had some winter grass (not sure if it was Rye or not) but it was very THIN. Even in spots where there wasn't barely any divots, there wasn't much grass, but there was plenty of sand. You can visibly see that the grass is struggling here, even in the warmer months. The putting green was unusable/closed, as it barely had any grass on the surface, maybe 30-40% ground coverage. We were greeted by the friendly course marshall on hole 1 to check us in. He informed us of current course conditions/weather/pin placement/etc...like I said, they have a very inviting/friendly staff which is always a pleasure having. We hit our drives from the tips/championship box (I'll come back to this in a bit at the bottom of the review), and made our way to the fairway. The rough and fairways were in the normal condition I've seen in the past. You can tell they are still in pretty good shape, even for winter time. All of the course bunkers also looked like they were in pretty good shape. Once we made it to the green, we were amazed...and not in a good way. From a distance, they don't look like anything out of the ordinary that's not sprayed green during Winter months. Once we got on the putting surface, you immediately noticed that there wasn't much grass to begin with. There were some patches that you can tell are in OK shape, but overall it needs either a MAJOR seeding, or new sod together. The greens were watered so the balls landed somewhat softly, but with the ground being a majority of sand, if you missed a putt, or landed on a slope, your ball is going to roll 10-20+ feet, if not off the green entirely. I'm a pretty good golfer ( 8-9 handicap) and I'm used to fast greens here in TX, but my putts almost felt like you only had one chance of sinking it. I missed a 12ft putt that was hit it the distance for a 4ft putt, and ended up with a 25ft putt (the original putt only had a tiny amount of downhill slope, with left to right break). The fairways, rough, and bunkers being in pretty good shape are the only reasons why I gave the course condition a Fair rating. The greens really are in that bad of condition.

I'm not sure how course management/grounds crew has let the course get to the current condition it's in now from how it used to be in the past. Tour 18 has gone from being one of the great golf experiences in Dallas to "just another course". Even though the course layout is excellent, as well as the PGA hole designs, not having very functional greens on the course GREATLY diminishes the experience. You can go play on municipal courses for at a much better value, and get an actual green to putt on. I understand that it can be difficult to grow grass at times, depending on foot traffic, but from reading past reviews, this isn't something that just popped up, it's an ongoing issue (I read previous reviews before booking the tee time, but just thought people were being primadonnas). In the current condition of the course, I strongly advise Tour 18 shuts down for a period of time to resolve these ongoing issues. They should be ashamed for having to close the practice putting green because it's slowly turning into a bunker. They should be ashamed that almost every single green on the course is showing signs of doing the same thing. Tour 18 doesn't show the "Pride" that is used to, and the course is showing it. I'm ashamed because I feel I can no longer recommend golfing here until issues get resolved. I will wait for one of my golfing friends to come in the spring/early summer time to re-evaluate the course and see if it's even worth coming back this year or not.

* Side note for players who golf from the tips.. Even though this course is just a little bit longer than a standard Par 72, it's nothing crazy, or out of the ordinary. We noticed groups of grown men on holes behind us teeing off from the front/white tees to either shorten it, or make it easier...it's not a crazy challenging course mind you. Even though my twosome was playing from the tips, we both still shot 8+ and 11+ and finished all 18 holes in under 3hr 30mins time with a short break at the turn. We were moving at a good pace, and still had the twosome group behind us trying to push us from time to time (obviously they were good enough to be able to NOT tee off on the women's tee box). Just keep this in mind if you plan on teeing off from the championship tees, there might be a group behind playing from a much shorter distance that are still capable of playing from at least the blues, and end up being "those guys".

Commented on 02/06/2018

I have played a few rounds out here recently (last week) but unsure as to why you are saying there isn't any grass on the greens. The greens are in good shape with the issue just being the difficulty of the slopes. They are quick but the Bermuda is perfectly fine considering it's winter. Maybe they were cut a little too low leading into winter but the health of the greens appear to be very good, They're just very low and very fast.

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/02/2018

Is the very beautiful course to play at If I could I will play there all the time

"Great Course"

tigermaldonado's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/02/2018

The course was great but the green slope condition where not good. Golf ball wouldn't stay on the green when you putted close to the hole. I would recommend watering the greens to make them softer for play. I will be back but most likely when course is not dormant.

"Big +'s and Big -'s"

shajpunnoose's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 01/31/2018
Previously played Used cart Windy weather

I love playing this course just for Amen Corner, TPC 17, Church Pews, Riviera Green w/ Pot Bunker etc.

The greens are nearly shaved and VERY hard. They roll very fast and pin placements are often on slopes, putts can roll 20+ feet past if you miss. Hence, I would rather not play this course more than once per year. If mgmt could slow down the greens just a bit and pin placements weren't as punitive, I would love to include in our foursome's rotation. Fairways are just that, fair...some are generous and some are challenging to hit. The rest of the course was in really good shape.

Btw, slope rating was 149 from the white tees!

I gave pace 5 stars because no one was playing that day Wednesday afternoon. The staff is fantastic and always appreciate the patronage.

"Tour 18"

TheOBchef's avatar
Dallas Advisor

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 01/22/2018

This is a challenging course with plenty of risk/reward shots. Currently the course is in need of some bunker repairs as well as some of the greens need to be fixed. The course is a combination of 18 famous holes in American golf. Amen Corner from Augusta National is the final three holes, a great way to finish the round!

"Winter condition, no range balls, EXTREMELY slow play almost 6 hours"

Samuel1965's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 01/20/2018

Winter conditions overall had a great Saturday in winter in Dallas course maybe a little unprepared for the extreme number players no range balls extremely slow play almost 6 hours didn't even play the last hole do the darkness will I return I'll give a 5 out of a 10 on whether I would return.

Overall not bad, just a long day, staff tried their best

"Fun but needs work"

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 01/08/2018

Love the course , very challenging. Just needs serious work in most bunkers and greens. Also chipping green and putting green.

"Greens better but still FAST"

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/29/2017
Previously played Used cart Windy weather Verified Purchaser

The greens are better than they were a couple months ago but they are still extremely fast.

"A good sunday"

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/26/2017

It was beautiful weather the course is in good shape. Plays very difficult especially the greens. But that is expected since every hole is modeled after a famous hole from several courses. Free driving range is nice!

kevin6624680's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/24/2017

Course was in ok condition...some of the greens need some work, and a lot of the bunkers weren’t raked.

Facilities seemed old and run down.

Course layout was good, course was fun to play.

"Enjoyed the day"

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/21/2017

The course was in good shape and the weather was great. It's a good time to play Tour 18.

osampei's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/19/2017

"Awesome."

u190636505's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/16/2017

First time playing the course. For this time of year it was in absolutely great shape. Look forward to playing there again.

"Tour excelent"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/13/2017

Very friendly pro shop personal plus starter really made you feel at home. Course for Nov very nice shape, just a fun place to play.

"Over priced"

Peter1308343's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/11/2017

Greens suck, over priced.overall condition of course sucks. Staff was nice though

"Fun Course"

John6096006's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/10/2017

Enjoyed playing this course! Look forward to playing it more often.

"Lots of potential"

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/09/2017

The course is a great layout but the pace of play was terrible. It’s a shame this facility is not better ran. Lots of potential to be first class.

"Below Expectations."

ALTARHEEL's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/05/2017
First time playing Used cart Windy weather

Very disappointed. November 2017.

Range was almost full when I arrived. No staff to refresh balls at the range. Some golfers standing around waiting for balls. The range was a mud pit.

There was no practice putting green. There was a small pitching green that was poorly maintained and littered with carcasses of old balls? Poorly done.

We saw no Marshals on the course. The group ahead of us was incredibly slow. We barely got the round in before dark. 5.5 hours.

Did not have a valet to unload clubs or give us a cart.

The Cart girl drove right up to us while addressing a ball. Did not know to wait til we hit.

Overall. Good potential course. the upkeep is substandard, staff had no interaction with me, and I would not play again.

"What’s the hurry?"

Mkaush's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/04/2017

With no one in front of us and no one behind us the marshal still came by at least 3 times during the round to speed up play. Really did not understand that.

Also the course needs some upkeep. The sand traps are bad, the drainage in the back side of front 9 is bad. The course needs some TLC to bring it back.