Wawenock Golf Club

Located just a few miles south of Damariscotta, Wawenock Golf Club has been a fixture of the Walpole golfing community since it first opened in 1928. The nine-hole course has a traditional links design that has appeal for players of all skill levels. There is also an alternate set of tees for playing an 18-hole round. In keeping with the traditions of Scottish links courses, the layout at Wawenock is quite open with very few trees, though you will find some along the fairways, some of which date back to before the course was even built. Wawenock Golf Club's par-5 fourth hole is one of the golf course's most memorable and arguably the most formidable. It will challenge golfers of all handicaps. You start with a carry over a river that cuts across the fairway before facing a pond on the second shot that hugs the fairway and extends towards the green.
White/Blue (18-hole) 70 6041 yards 68.8 122
Handicap 8 2 1 4 3 7 6 9 5
Par 4 4 3 5 4 4 4 3 4 35 35
Handicap (W) 9 2 4 1 3 5 7 6 8

Year Built 1928
Architect Wayne Stiles (1928) John Van Kleek (1928)

Beautiful day at the golf course

Very pleasant. The fairways and greens were in great condition.

Excellent Facility

I was very pleased with the course, especially the conditions of the greens. The surroundings were very pleasing and the course, even though it was a 9 hole layout, was quite challenging. The 9 hole layout has two different tee boxes the play from so that the course is much like an 18 hole course.

Super friendly and accommodating staff, nice, comfortable course

I was impressed with how friendly and helpful the staff was, asking if I wanted to play solo (they were not too crowded) or gave me the option to play with a couple who did not mind a tag-a-long (which was helpful to me as a first-timer on the course.) The course was lovely, well maintained. A beautiful day added to it.

Offers a variety of shots

Course was very enjoyable and tested my ability. Greens were a little slow but consistant. Staff and otger players were very nice.

Vacationer

Enjoyed the course. As it was slow and I was behind a foursome I was able to play two balls and get my 18 hole score in on one trip around. Good thing as it was backed up on the turn. It was a very nice relaxing experience. Needs rain bad to green up. Will come back next year. Staff and members very friendly!

Wawenock

Good time playing. Several holes over 400 yards. Different tee boxes for front 9 and back Greens were in very good shape Unfortunately back nine slow play but beautiful day and nice golf I would play again

Great little course

This course is a Diamond in the Rough (which is where my ball generally is). I enjoyed it immensely and will try to play it more ofter

Wawenock, a friendly vacation course

A nice little nine-hole layout with separate tee boxes for the second nine. Has some water, length (for seniors) and uphill/downhill action. Greens are in good shape. We walked the 4.4 miles on the front (Map My Walk app) and then rode a bit on the back due to the hilly terrain. Two ladies I played with did walk the entire trip, however. The nineteenth hole has four or five beers on tap (including Stella and Shipyahd) vin ordinaries, liquors and a nice bar menu, including dinners. Very enjoyable locale! btw - club has new gas Club Car golf carts

Wawenock

The course has some beautiful views from their high tee boxes. I liked their creativity by having 2 sets of tees for front 9 and back 9. The greens and tee boxes were in great condition. I had been wanting to play this course because the course name continually pops up on golfnow.com for reduced rates, but the course is a decent drive from my home and knowing it's only a 9 hole course, I have often wondered if the course was good or not. I live over 1.5 hrs away so I may not be playing again in some time, but I would recommend the course to anyone whose considering it. Unfortunately our group played a couple days after a large amount of rain poured on the course, so the course had to close 2 holes because they were submerged under 6" of water. The course had a reduced rate because of the conditions, which was a great value. Although I had prepaid for the greens fees and carts, which on this day carts were prohibited, the staff were really helpful to accommodate us by offering a free bucket of balls and a few other small things to offset the difference in the discounted price versus what I prepaid online. I personally give the service an A rating. The course was fairly easy to play, with a few challenging shots and blind greens. I love playing on high tee boxes, especially on the 3rd hole (par 3 200+ yds). The club house includes a medium sized restaurant and a small driving range. The driving range prohibits you from hitting over 150 yards. Hope this helps.

Boothbay, Maine