Style Links

Year Built 2002
Architect Arthur Hills (2002) Drew Rogers (2002) Spencer Holt (2002) Steve Forrest & Associates (2002)

Dress code Newport National Golf Club does not allow jeans, tee shirts, tank tops, swimwear, cutoffs, warm up suits, sweat pants and hard spikes.

• Golf Advisor: Top Courses in Rhode Island (2018 #5)

Need to step up their game.

This course was as picturesque as any I've ever played. It was a challenge and made me think hard about my shots and club selection. The course set up was really nice and there was even a square cut green. However, I have some gripes.

1. Divot bottles on cart were empty.
2. Porta-shi**ers.
3. Cart girl would not take my card because "it's a hassle".
4. No water on the course.

Sorry, but for $125 ($150 in the morning) this stuff is unacceptable. Yes, my bad for not bringing cash. But I have never had the bev card not take my card and allow me to grab it from the bar when I finish. On top of that the bar and kitchen is nothing to write home about. Step up your game, Troon.

Not #1 course in New England

Nice course, not great. No range. Definitely not worth $150. I won't be back at that price.

Excellent Course, Great Staff!

This is a really fun links course. It is kind of hidden from the road---I drove right past it thinking that my GPS had to be wrong. The fairways and greens were spiked, but it was awhile ago and it did not impact play. The layout is good and well designed. It also seems to drain well. Carts are electric, which I prefer. Chilly Saturday morning in May with a very light drizzle, and I had a blast at this course. The entire staff--from the check-in at the clubhouse to the grill to the starter--were all very friendly and helpful. Excellent breakfast burrito from the grill. Note that the clubhouse is small with no indoor eating area (just a covered porch with a heater and clear plastic coverings that can be rolled down to keep out wind, rain and cold). In spite of this, the restrooms are good.

Beautiful course!

Had a great experience today playing at Newport National. Though they have recently aerated the greens and fairways, the course played smooth and fast. The greens had some difficulties but still were fast. The views were amazing. The clubhouse leaves some to be desired but the course itself couldn’t have been a better layout!

Very good course

Played this course on a Thursday morning. Arrived early as I was a single to see if I could get out earlier then my scheduled tee time. There was no starter to be found. I saw groups of 2 and 3 go out but still no starter. My 4some we're finally able to find the starter and ask if we could go out early (since no groups had teed off for a good 20 minutes). When we finally teed off we found the course great. Nice doglegs and some interesting forced carrys. Fairways were in great shape. Greens were challenging but not tricked up. Really enjoyed the course and would come back. Overall course was challenging yet playable for a mid range handicapper like myself. Clubhouse was a trailer but they had all the basics. Found the price of $125 little high for whole experience but had a great time.

Great Golf Course

Excellent golf course, great layout, course conditions are generally above average to excellent. On a windy day, avoid it though or you will not enjoy it.

Staff and organization could be a little improved. It's overpriced at $150 on a weekend but they get the out of town Newport crowds for weddings, etc. so it's always jammed and pace of play is not monitored well enough to warrant the cost.

If you've never played, you have to try it out, but I wouldn't frequent regularly for the cost.

Absolutely Amazing

Being a NYC Golfer, my options are pretty limited and I tend to play where there is a deal. I'm a high handicapper and have only been playing for 3 years, but I'm absolutely addicted and cash in on every opportunity to hit golf balls.

When I found out I'd be in RI on work this week, I figured I'd treat myself and play their highest rated course. I made sure to get there for the twighlight rate and didn't expect much. I was in for a surprise.

The staff was amazing and very pleasant, and I couldn't believe how beautiful that course was. The tee boxes were immaculate, the greens were fast and the fairways were hard to hit. I didn't score well, but this was the first time I actually enjoyed the just being on the course. Even the gravel car paths were cool, I was pretty much drifting around the course.

I'm going to make it a point to get out and see more courses, this course has spoiled me.

WAY TOO EXPENSIVE..!!!!!

Used to be able to play 45$ riding.. Now they want 80$ Feb,Mar,Apr.... They CRAZZZZY...!

Gem of gems!

Newport National is what I call a "gem of gems"! A little over an hours drive from Boston, this is track totally worth coming to! Layout and conditions are some of the best you'll find and for the value of your money. Some of the best views of Aquidneck Island with its links style play, I'm always excited when I get to tee of here.

Great Course Shame about the Pace.

The course is good but could be great! Fun course with good risk reward holes. The wind is the defense for this place, all the holes I thought were fair apart from the 10th with its second shot over the hazard way to long, other than that the layout was good with every hole being different and not just straight up and down. I've never seen a rectangular green (the 8th) with 90 degree corners until the day I played.

Fairways and greens were in very good condition, some of the best I've played this year. Greens were fast and consistent so no complaints with that, first cut was fair too.

Newport National is OK for its price point, could be an excellent course if the management got on top of the pace of play as everything is good to go. Layout of the course with 2 par 3's next to each other does not help pace neither does the lack of rangers or concern from the staff.

Massachusetts Advisor

The Wind Calls All of the Shots

Newport National was going to be part of a grand plan a dozen years ago. The plan fizzled with the economy, leaving a really great 18 hole course, with no second course and a "clubhouse" that is still a temporary double wide trailer. That's all okay because the golf course IS the star of the show. It is a eclectic mixture of challenging golf holes, in and around natural marshes. The bulk of the challenge comes from the usual steady wind off the bay that affects most of your shots. You must control your ball flight or you will be in hazards, jungle rough or strategic bunkers all day. The 5th is a drivable par 4, but the wind may cause to rethink that and to play safely out to the right. The 17th is a beast of a par 4, that you must hit it down the right side off the tee to avoid the deadly fairway bunker on the left. NN has a wide variety of tee selections from 7000+ on down. Let the wind remind you to play it forward, as the back 2 sets of tees would crush most golfers. This course is fun to play and easy to appreciate it. Arthur Hills did a great job on this project and one can only imagine what the 36 hole concept, complete with clubhouse, would have been like. However if that did get built, we the golfing public would have never been able to play it. Check out NN if you are golfing your way through Rhode Island.

Newport National sits upon the highest point of Aquidneck Island, surrounded by the Sakonnet Passage, Narraganset Bay and the mouth of the Atlantic Ocean, providing for beautiful views. The Arthur Hills and associate Drew Rogers designed course was not built to play like a links course, but sometimes golf courses have a way of writing their own story. Pristine seaside creeping bent from tee to green, the shale base and gentle slope of the land, augmented by fescue that dances in the ocean breezes like a horse’s mane, combine to confound your senses, having you believe you are on the far side of the Atlantic water hazard, perhaps someplace on the coast of Ireland? The downside is the course’s lack of a clubhouse (construction trailers serve the part) and practice facilities, however, as Newport National is perennially voted the “#1 Course You Can Play in New England,” and was named by PGA.com as #8 in it’s listing of the Best American Links, it is clear why golfers love it.

Middletown, Rhode Island