Type Public/Municipal
Pecan Valley Golf Course - River Course

Year Built 1963
Architect Ralph Plummer (1963)

Carts Yes - $16

Snacks

Clubhouse

Playing Multiple Courses 20

golf carts

carts need to be replaced and if they are going to close the restrooms on the course for repairs they need to furnish portable ones.

Quiet in the Valley

My friend and I enjoyed playing this course. (He showed signs of incredible potential when he birdied the par 3 5th on a picturesque approach after parring the par 5 4th.) Tee boxes, fairways, & greens (which felt a little slow) were in pretty good shape. Some bunkers were in good shape as well.

It seems easier to find a wayward golf ball than at other courses, and there is a sense of serenity & isolation during play, as it is several miles away from the hustle & bustle of downtown Fort Worth. I noticed more walkers than usual.

Pecan Valley is a course that rewards accuracy as well as one that honors social distancing in these times..

Having a right-to-left ball flight on #2 and #9 can make the approach easier on those two dogleg lefts. #3 and #4 are par 5s. #15 is a dogleg right par-5. #17 is a dogleg right par-4; you must navigate water on both sides of the fairway short of the green.

I didn't see a cart person selling beverages & snacks; there is an opportunity to head back toward the clubhouse after #12. Expect a several hundred foot walk between the parking lot & the clubhouse.

Ehh

Decent. Check in staff are super weird and slow. Sand traps are like concrete. Beer is pretty cheap though.

Challenging Layout Poor Conditions

Tee boxes great condition greens were just punched and bit bumpy. Fairways were horrible burnt and hard pan conditions made it hard to hit a true shot. Some of the overhanging trees near tee boxes need trimming as they really restrict lines you’re able to play. Isolated feeling playing the hills as there was no beverage cart or amenities on that side so you need to bring your own water as the clubhouse is not close enough to get refreshments at turn.

We're regulars

I play with the same three guys often at Pecan Valley, We've played the Hills and the River. Value is better at the Hills even thought the River is more flat and a lot more challenging. The course is in great condition right now. Usually by this time of the summer the fairways have really dried out. I highly recommend the city course

The hills course is great. I love the layout and wish it was taken care of to the level of the river course. None the less this is a great course and affordable. Pecan Valley is one of my favorite public courses for Fort Worth.

Beautiful course

Pecan valley river is a beautiful quiet (except for the occasional fighter jet passing overhead) Its very well kept up, the staff is friendly and accommodating.
Only bad thing right now is that there is no water or drink services on the course except at the clubhouse and with temps hitting 100 def you need to bring enough water to last you for the first nine at least.
Other than that it’s a great course and I’ll come back here every chance I get.

Good for a muni

Fairways were excellent greens a little hard almost all bunkers though had water in them for municipal course I was surprised pretty challenging staff was nice long walk from parking lot to clubhouse though you'll understand if you play it. Too far a drive for me but worth playing at least once really nice for muni.

Great layout

Fun course to play. Signage to get around is sparse. No bathrooms or water stations anywhere so go prepared.

If you like to be abused this is the place for you!

It started off as I was trying to enter the pro shop... I was told I couldn't enter without a mask. I have COPD and can't wear one. The staff discussed it. I was allowed to check in and the lady behind the counter acted as if I had leprosy. I got checked in and went to the snack bar to get some drinks for the round and the guy behind the counter yelled at me "you can't be in here without a mask!" I explained my condition and he said he didn't care. I called his boss and explained the deal and he called me back (after I guess conferring with the Governor or Mayor?) and told me the snack bar would serve me. I then tried to return to the snack bar and the same unreasonable idiot yells at me again "I told you I won't serve you without a mask!" I said "I have a note from your boss". Oh, he was beside himself! When we made the turn at I called to order some food from the 9th tee box. I thought that would make it easier on this guy to not have to confront him again to serve me. It was 3:45pm. He answered the phone and said "I'm trying to close and get out of here." I asked "can you just make me a sandwich?" He agreed. When I got to the snack bar I was again told I couldn't enter without a mask. I again explained my condition and again was met with hostility. When the snack bar guy saw it was me he said "we're closed". I said "I just talked to you from the ninth tee 6 minutes ago. You agreed to make me a sandwich." He again acted like a two year old. I'd bet a dollar to a doughnut he spit in my sandwich... I've been playing golf at Pecan Valley for 32 years. I've been a season pass holder and put on golf tournaments at Fort Worth courses. NEVER again. The COVID -19 pandemic has managed to drive reason from that course. They've all gone mad!

Overall Average

This was the first time to play the Hills course. It’s a little cheaper than the river and as well kept up but, looking at the surroundings and their Layout, the front 9 are not as nice as the back 9, which resemble more the 18 holes of the river course.
Right now there is no water or services on either one of them except at the clubhouse, due to Covid19.

Played the Hills

I’m not a good golfer and wouldn’t know what beautiful course looks like more than likely. Had a great time. Was able to have my wife and toddler ride for an extra few and my son had a great time on the course. Staff was awesome will come back for sure. Hills course was pretty easy only lost two ball which is pretty good for me

Benbrook, Texas