Type Private
Scorecard for Dormie Golf Club
Black M: 73.0/135 421 397 312 434 430 524 236 488 167 3409 653 421 113 492 301 379 198 497 420 3474 6883
Blue M: 71.6/132 402 378 298 415 414 511 206 472 147 3243 632 395 108 465 296 360 178 489 410 3333 6576
White/Blue M: 71.5/127 384 378 291 378 414 483 198 459 135 3120 605 385 108 394 283 360 160 448 401 3144 6264
White M: 68.3/122 W: 73.8/137 384 281 291 378 263 483 198 459 135 2872 605 385 99 394 283 263 160 448 401 3038 5910
Gold M: 65.1/115 W: 69.7/122 309 274 243 334 257 432 147 372 111 2479 571 344 84 390 202 247 142 380 341 2701 5180

Year Built 2010
Architect Ben Crenshaw (2010) Bill Coore (2010) Tyler Rae

Caddies Yes

• Golf Advisor: Ginella's Top 50 U.S. Courses You Can Play (2016 #34) (2015 #35)
  • Golf Advisor: Top Courses in North Carolina (2017 #14)

A Bucket list/Top 100 Pick 12
Group Getaways 10

Boston Advisor

Played this course for the second time which is something we rarely do on vacation

The Dormie Club is a course we felt we needed to play a second time since the first time we played it two years ago was the day after a tropical storm headed to The area. And boy are we glad we did, other than the recently aerated greens the course was real,y great to play. The layout here is really fantastic and a lot of the shots that you can make a pretty fair, especially after two. The greens were undulating and you really have to think your way around every green. As some of you know this course is going private in a year to a year and a half and I would highly recommend you get to it before it does. This should be on every itinerary when you’re going to the Pinehurst area.

Width and angles

If you love golf course architecture, you won't want to miss Dormie. There is tons of width to the fairways, but the only lulls you in. You really need to be on the correct angles to score well here. The greens dictate exactly where you need to place your ball. There also are some great risk/reward shots on the course. Overall, the course is extremely playable for all skill levels, and it is one of my favorite designs in the area.

The clubhouse is very spartan. This isn't a club that put a ton of dollars there. It is all about the golf only. The staff was extremely friendly and helpful. Treated us like we were members of the club.

Course conditions were very solid when I played. I know there were some that experienced sub-par conditions in previous years. It seems the new ownership/management team has turned this around completely.

The Dormie Club is a premium course you can't miss while in the Pinehurst area. With its transition to a private course in the next two years, you will want to get that public round in while you can.

Golf Paradise

Course was in absolutely perfect condition, and the scenic feel is great. I enjoyed the natural aspect of it with the sand cart paths, no houses, etc. Very scenic and natural course, with absolutely perfect fairways and greens on which to play. Anyone who gives less than a favorable review to this course must only play top 20 courses....and I still don't see how they would not provide a good review. A few of the par 4s are short (especially if play from whites) but that is where strategy comes into play obviously!

nothing but golf

Very nice golf. All natural look if that's what you like. ? but if you stray to far you will be in trouble. Dirt cart paths and parking.

Dormie Club

Friends - this course was awesome. Been traveling to play golf in the Sandhills region for 15 years now. By far my favorite course down there (we have not played at the Pinehurst Resort), with Mid-Pines a close second.

A few things about the course:

First, it was in absolute spectacular condition. Everything was perfect. And oh my, what a wonderful piece of property. Just beautiful. On many holes, you feel isolated like you're on your own course. On a few others you can see other groups so you know you're not out there by yourself. It was fun to watch guys hit into the 9 green from the 10 tee box.

The clubhouse is nothing special. We were there for golf and a meal in between our two rounds at Dormie. What they had was fine by us. Food was good, beers were cold. For our afternoon round, the halfway house was closed. They told us we could call the clubhouse if we wanted food, drinks, ice, whatever and they would run it out to us. That was a touch of class, especially since we were the only 3 groups on the course in the afternoon.

Speaking of the course, be prepared for a complete challenge on the greens. The complexes were very firm and fast and many of them had multiple levels/tiers/slopes. This presented both advantages and challenges. Being able to play chip/pitch shots away from the hole and use the slopes to get it close was fun. Hitting a green in regulation and being 30 feet away with no chance to keep it inside of 10 feet was not so much fun.

For our first round, we played on our ball from the split blue/white tees and that was about perfect for our group. Low man shot 74 (scratch player), high score was 108 (15 handicap). Our players were mostly mid/high handicappers (12 players). We played 4 man scramble in afternoon from white tees and that was super fun with a few drivable par 4's and reachable par 5's in the mix.

The only hole that didn't make sense was the par 4 15th. It didn't seem like a very fair hole, especially with as firm as the greens were. The blind second shot if landed short to account for the firm green bounded over the green because of the severe mound in front of the green. Over the green = dead. Carried too far onto the green to avoid the downslope = same thing, over the green and dead. That was our group's only complaint.

This is definitely a course you want to play once or twice. There are a couple of blind tee shots and knowing the green complexes will help you better understand where to hit it/miss it.

*note: the yardage book provides zero information on the greens, nor was there a guide as to where the pins were located. That was a bit of a bummer.

Overall, this was a fantastic experience. Coore/Crenshaw really did an excellent job creating a "golf" experience. We hope we'll have a chance to play there again on a future trip.

Golf in its most natural form

This golf course is underrated. If you’re looking for a high end clubhouse for you and your 20 handicappers to enjoy a vodka tonic after the round, don’t come. But if you’re a golf junkie who appreciates the art of course design, come. That’s what I love the most about this place, it’s minimalistic design. From the clubhouse, the putting green, and driving range to the parking lot in between the pines w/ no pavement. It’s all so simple, yet so perfect. This is one of my favorite golf courses I’ve ever played and I’ve played some good ones.

The first 3 holes start you off on a nice loop out from the clubhouse and back. Then you work your way down the fourth and in my opinion, you get lost. The course works it’s way back into the North Carolina beauty that so many people love about the Pinehurst area (Rolling hills, natural waste areas/bunkering). If you think 6 is blind tee shot, just look at the trees working their way in closer and closer and that’s the path you should take, right in the middle of that. Same goes with 13. In my opinion the course ramps up on hole 10. A 650 yard beast that requires 3 good shots to get there. After this hole, take a second and try to think where you are. I get a feeling of being lost, or having no sense of direction which is in my opinion one of the greatest feelings you can have on a golf course. It’s just you and the course. Coore and crenshaw did a great job of making This course as natural as they come. After a great hole 10 you work your way through a fantastic 8 More holes of golf in which no 2 are in the same ballpark of being similar. The closing stretch of 15-18 is eye opening. You have to see it to believe it.

The course was in very good shape and I will be back, many times. The dormie club is one of the most unique, beautiful, and natural golf courses you will ever play. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.

Great Coore/Crenshaw layout

Played Dormie a couple years ago and wanted to get back. Our group played on a perfect late November day and found Great course conditions and a Very friendly staff. Another great Coore/Crenshaw design that blends in with the lay of the land and is a real challenge.

Denver Advisor

Coore/Crenshaw do it again

This was supposed to be a private club when it was created. It is semi-private but was just bought with the idea of making it private again. Therefore, come here while you can.

You will get the Coore/Crenshaw treatment of wide fairways, speed slots in fairways, excellent bunkering and interesting greens. Although the fairways are wide, the closer you flirt with hazards, the more you are rewarded with the ideal approach.

This layout is hillier and has some water hazards when compared to Pinehurst. There are short par 4s and variety in all par holes. The 17th hole might be the only question as there is a large cross bunker at the base of a hill. Unless you had a massive drive, going over it in two might not be possible and a lay up/long third is inevitable. Didn’t seem like their design ethos, but it is only one hole.

If in the Pinehurst area, I recommend this; however, call ahead as there are outings here. This caused a pace of play issue on the day I was there. The people I played with say that can be a problem so check first. The course is definitely a good one.

About what I expected

After reading previous reviews, I got what I expected. Course conditions were good. Nothing spectacular. We got a good rate. Wouldn't go back to pay the premium rate. Pet peeve, don't charge for range balls. Build it into the price.

Good but not outstanding ... not worth the price to play

Let's just say the "hype machine" was in full effect and the main draw to play Dormie Club. My golf group played there in early October this year. We had booked the course on our package to the Pinehurst area twice previously and both times got rained out so our eagerness and anticipation to play there had increased over the past few years. Unfortunately … the experience didn't live up to the hype. Although its a good course, it certainly didn’t live up to the rankings I’ve seen it receive as one of the top courses in all of North Carolina. I’ve played many courses from central Carolina to the coast that were as good or better with as good or more interesting layouts and much more worth the value.

Visually the course is very pleasing to the eye with its rustic appearance but not as playable to all levels from start to finish as one might think. There a few holes that don’t seem to fit the rest of the golf course. Although I respect the course architects, Coore & Crenshaw, there were definitely some head scratchers in the layout depending upon the tee boxes played particularly #8, #15 & #17. I’m a single digit handicap but myself and a few other good players played the white tees with the rest of the group for pace of play. I probably would have had a better appreciation for the layout had I played from the blue or black tees and rally enjoyed the way it was meant to be played. The up tees just seemed more of an afterthought than at some other courses that offer great challenge and enjoyment regardless of the tees played. And, although the greens were in very good shape with most of the fairways as well, the tee boxes were no better than a basic muni course … pretty rough. Let’s not get started about the lack luster clubhouse and the snack “shed” between nines … not what I would call top notch. I guess for the money and the hype, I was expecting much more from the overall experience. We played Mid Pines (recently renovated in 2013) the next day and there was no comparison in the experience, especially for the value. Interestingly, Kyle Franz, the designer responsible for the renovations at Mid Pines, teamed with Coore & Creenshaw on the renovation of Pinehurst #2 and really gave Mid Pines a dramatically new appeal.

Again, don’t get me wrong, it is still a good course and without any pre-conceived expectations, would have been a more enjoyable round. I understand that when the course was first built that the "hype machine" was implemented in order to create the buzz about this new facility and generate immediate interest to golf enthusiasts and potential property owners as they were slated to build a significant hi-end community associated with the course. Well … over 7 years since it opened, that hasn’t happened. Originally opened in 2010 as a private facility, they were driven to open up to outside play in 2011 http://www.thepilot.com/news/out-of-necessity-dormie-club-opens-to-nonmember-play/article_dd6a8653-96a0-5bfc-9a15-6a3638502a4d.html . The hype is still there but the community hasn’t developed and the course (from what a little birdie told me) is in financial trouble. We played on a holiday in the peak time of the fall package season and there was barely anyone else on the course.

My group doesn’t have a budget suitable for playing at Pinehurst Resort, but if you’re coming to the area for a week-long golf trip there a number of very good courses that can round out your package and add a lot of variety to your experience without breaking the bank. If they brought the costs down at Dormie Club, then I would suggest adding it to your package but I rather doubt that will happen since that would undermine the “hype” and mystique that has been established. Its just my opinion, but I believe we where we were certainly oversold and a little underwhelmed.

If you like a challenge....

Have played this course twice now - it is a terrific and challenging layout. I am a walker and enjoy that - I was the 1st t-time off and never saw another person. Play this great layout now before they try to ruin it by building houses nearby. Some holes are long and hard, but then there are some short and easier holes to balance them out. Greens were just aerated last week, but still roll nicely. Scenery is great, watched hawks soaring overhead, love the primitive/isolated feel you get playing here. Don't go here expecting resort-style off-course amenities - just go for a great round of golf out in the woods.

Wonderful day at Dormie

Always a pleasure playing Dormie Club. Just a short drive from the main resort of Pinehurst. Tee boxes and fairways were perfect and the unique design made for a great day. Would definitely recommend playing this course outside of the summer months to get the best potential of the greens. With the NC summers, bent grass is hard to get firm and fast. Hopefully they'll transition to bermuda at some point in the future to keep up with the rest of the courses in the area.

Cannot wait to visit in a couple more months.

Zzzzzz

Had high hopes for the course and was not pleased. Staff was helpful to get my partner and I out early and we played quickly but some greens were watered and others were not leaving inconsistent conditions. Lots of blind shots with no yardage book made for a long day. Would not go back.

The Best in NC

I have played many courses in NC but this is the best for lay-out and condition. The more times I play it, the better the scores. Greens are perfect and the fairways were just as good. Evryone right down to the starter were friendly and very helpful. They have bottle water on about every 3 holes. We will be returning! The only complaint, one long hole playing the hybrid tees had a large mound right in front of the tee box. It looked like someone said, Let's put a tee box here? 2 in our group hit it!

Difficult Course, Irons-only driving range

We are a group of mid-handicap golfers. The course is beautiful and was in great condition. The greens are very fast but fair and true. The group ahead of us took over 5 hours to play 18 holes. They had a fore caddie, which you would think would speed play, but it didn't.

The course beat us all up pretty badly. It is not tricked up like Tobacco Road, but somehow it is just as difficult. Lots of searching for golf balls. A fore caddie might shave 4 or 5 strokes off your score.

Biggest downside is the irons-only driving range. A course this demanding is not one you want to face with no practice.

There is also no clubhouse to speak of, so this is not the place to play if you are hoping to gather for drinks afterward.

We probably won't play it again, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't give it a try.

How golf should be

I had a chance to play this course for the first time and it was everything I was hoping for. When we arrived passing by the modest entrance leading up to the tiny clubhouse. I was nervous that this course would be okay at best. Well I was very wrong. I understand why there are no fancy amenities, that is due to the fact that this place is supposed to be all about the golf. That is what makes this course so special to me. We arrived to the first tee to a very friendly starter who gave us tons of helpful information about the course. My first impression of the course by looking at the first hole was how strikingly beautiful the natural look of the course is. I can understand why some people don't like it because it is not the most perfect and pristine course ever because that is how coore and crenshaw intended it because it possesses the natural look many pinehurst courses are known for, but it was in really good shape when we played it. Every hole is memorable. Although this course features bent-grass greens which can be iffy with the southern heat of the summer. They were perfect in April and rolled smooth and true. If this course switches to champion bermuda it will be perfect from tee to green because the bermuda grass enjoys the heat of the south. I think this course is very under-rated because it is not for everyone. People who like this course are people who can appreciate a great golf course. Coore Crenshaw did a marvelous job with this course. 14-18 is one the best stretch of holes i have ever played. So despite the lofty price and mixed reviews I strongly recommend Dormie. This and #2 are to me the 2 best courses in Pinehurst. Again this is not the place you want to play if you want the many luxuries many courses possess. Come here if you want to play a great golf course.

Great day at Top 100 course

Had the opportunity to play The Dormie Club offseason and for discounted rate provided by CGA. The weather was sunny and in the 60's with some wind.

The course similar to Pinehurst #2 has the Coore Crenshaw characteristics with lots of natural growth areas, waste areas and lots of bunkers.

Greens had been small hole punched and were very speedy(reportedly 13). Fairways in general were in good condition with exception of one hole that was quite wet. Bunkers were generally in good condition.

Range was open but only for irons.

Staff -Rudy-General Manager was very helpful and friendly.

All of us enjoyed our day at Dormie Club and hope to return once fairways have greened up.

Don't Go In Expecting Bandon or Cabot And You'll Be Fine

It was a little confusing getting where we needed to be on the course. Smaller driving range and incredibly small club house. The first hole is the most scenic on the course, in my opinion. It looks beautiful from the tee box. But other than that, there just wasn't much memorable about this course to me. Which is why I said, don't go in expecting Bandon Trails or Cabot, two other Coore/Crenshaw designs, and you'll be fine. It's probably worth the price of admission, but there's also probably better options in the area in this price range.

Birmingham Advisor

Sandhills golf in a wilderness setting

It was cold the morning we played here. We were first on the course and didn't see another player the entire round until we finished. I found this Coore-Crenshaw design worthy of its lofty ranking. Outside of Pinehurst #2 and Mid-Pines, there isn't a better course in my opinion to represent the style of golf this region is known for. There aren't many places on this course to lose a ball. I remember merely one water hazard, that really wasn't even in play. Rough is minimal bordering the fairways and the natural scrubland in the hardwoods make wayward balls easier to locate. This course is all about the greens. There are some haphazard green complexes, but the real danger lies in the subtle movement of these Ross-like greens. Like most courses, being under the hole is imperative. Closely-mown areas around the green requires a bit of imagination, instead of of blindly pulling out a sand wedge. One of the hallmarks of this design team's work is short par 4s. Dormie didn't disappoint in this regard. The third hole is the first that stood out to me, highlighted by a dragon-back green that puts pressure on wedge control to make sure you find the correct tier. The 263-yard 15th is another brilliantly-designed short 4. From the tee you are playing slightly uphill to a narrow fairway. There does not appear to be any room to land it on the right half and have it hold. The left side is guarded by two large fairway bunkers that distract your attention. I hit 4 iron into one of them, yet still had only ~80 yards downhill to the green. The beauty of the hole was not putting too much emphasis on hitting a perfect shot. Simply getting it out of the bunker allowed the ball to run down to the green. I enjoyed these type shot values at Dormie. There is also a real serenity here. There are no houses in sight, and hopefully that doesn't change. This course has been rumored for several years to be going private as part of a residential development. Not sure if it ever will, but just in case, make sure you play it if in Pinehurst. It won't disppoint.

Excellent Course, Value & Conditions

We drove over from Charlotte to play Dormie Club and it did not disappoint. The course was in excellent condition and it was an excellent value. I have and will always highly recommend Dormie Club to everyone that travels to the Pinehurst area.

We are heading back to play Dormie in about a month and cannot wait!!!

Seven Lakes, North Carolina