Musket Ridge Golf Club

Caddies: No
GPS: No

Pitching/chipping area: No
Golf school / academy: No

Dress code: Appropriate golf attire is required at all times. T-shirts, tank tops, cut-offs and jeans are not permitted.

"What a piece of land!"

jmacdee6's avatar
Age:  Under 25

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/12/2017
Used cart Hot weather

From the moment my brother and I pulled in, we were very impressed. What a piece of land this track is on! Having played a majority of the Northern Virginia/Maryland public-private courses, we heard this was a must play! This place is a hidden gem and I would suggest this to any skill level golfer. It was well worth the hour drive! Best course conditions out of any public track in the DMV.

-Unbelievable views

-Greens are juicy!!

"Best course in western Maryland"

sabredad's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/27/2017

I play here frequently and it's easily the best course in the area. A fair but challenging layout with excellent conditions and terrific views. I have never heard anyone say a negative word about the course or the staff. When you're done playing, the beer selections are also top shelf.

"A must play!!!"

supratbo's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/17/2017

At just over an hour from Northern Va, it was worth the drive.

Plan your trip for after 2 on a weekend to take advantage of the $60.00 Twilight Rates and this course will not disappoint.

Grass Tee practice range with free balls and short game green.

This course is near perfect in condition and will provide not only ample challenge but great visual vistas as well.

Do yourself a favor, play this course.

"Love The Layout, Needs TLC When The Season Starts"

DrOldSchool's avatar
Indy Advisor

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/06/2017
Previously played Used cart Cold weather

I've been able to play this course a few times since it opened, but today was the first time in several years. I love the layout with the elevation changes. This time of year with the fescue cut back you weren't as penalized for spraying a few drives, which I did... a lot. But during the season that would've really ballooned the score.

If you forced me to pick one course in the Frederick area, this would probably be my pick over Whiskey Creek, with a caveat... it will need some work before I'd recommend going full freight. There were several patches in the fairway, and the greens were very bumpy and inconsistent. The 11th green has 2 different grasses on it, and it was almost unputtable. In March, for twilight rate... ok. But if we had paid full price I'd have been very disappointed.

Overall, it's worth a go, but I'd wait and see what other reviewers say before booking a prime time early in the season to see how they handle the spring when it finally arrives and they can do some maintenance.

"A good, wide open course"

JAGCAT's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/27/2016
Previously played Used cart Played 18 holes Good weather

Musket Ridge has a good layout, not too many blind/tricky tee shots, and is in fairly good shape given the summer weather. Pace of play was rather slow, waited on every shot, but we still finished in 4:45, so not terrible. Greens were soft (surprisingly), but FWs slightly firm, which was great for rollout. Definitely judge elevation changes appropriately, especially off the 1st tee - it plays 20-30 yards shorter than expected.

"Not what I expected."

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/03/2016
First time playing Used cart Good weather

I read a magazine that said this is " must play " course, so I did. The staff was very friendly the area is very scenic the egg and cheese sandwich I had was very good. The cart paths where good. The tee boxes where in good shape as well as the fairways the greens were slow and spongey. The slow group in front of us had a foot dragger in their group and just chewed up every green around the cup. I met 2 players and fortunately they've played here before. I am disappointed in the fact that this course does not have yardage books, if you are day tripping for golf courses they are very helpful and it is rather disturbing the a course that charges $ 100.00 on a Sunday doesn't have this product on the shelf as a complimentary item of for purchase. ( yes I know what GPS is ) How much could a book be to have made up. I understand the cost of things today but a realist value would $ 7.00 to sell in the pro shop I've seen them for 5 as well as $ 10.00 never playing a course before I think a lot of people would buy it for the round as well as a keep sake. I did not have a bad round 94 with a handicap of 13,, I'm ok with that.

I think this is a $ 65.00 course tops maybe a weekend rate of 72.00 The Course at Glenn Mills is a $ 100.00 course, Bulle Rock is a $ 100.00 course Wyncote is an $ 80.00 course They have yardage books too. On the back of the scorecard it has a course layout but you nee a magnifying glass to see it, it also states " # 6 Best place to play in the state of Maryland but I disagree. It's a likeable course but that's it.

"First time playing here"

Paul6209061's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/25/2016
First time playing Used cart Excellent weather

Good golfing experience, friendly pro shop staff, excellent course with challenging elevation changes, high rough in certain areas. Beautiful scenic views, played on a Wednesday afternoon, pace of play was as good as it gets, and a great value. got a hot dog and house made potato chips at the turn, excellent.

"Great conditions"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/08/2014
Previously played Played with a group Walked Played 18 holes Good weather

I play this course a lot. Last year the greens got a little beat up during the summer months. Right now the course conditions are about as good as I've ever seen them, which is quite good indeed. Greens hold well but are pretty fast too. #11 green still has a bit of a poa annua infestation but the rest are fine. Most of the traps have good sand. Fairways are excellent. Rough is pretty thick and if you hit it in the gorse forget about it.

Quality of food & beverage: Excellent