A view from a tee at Mountain Branch Golf Course.

Mountain Branch Golf Course

Year Built 2000
Fairways Rye Grass
Architect Jeff Matthai (2000)

Beverage Carts

Clubhouse, Banquet Facilities, Showers

Perfect Golf Day

Course played at a good speed. There were some issues with the greens (fungus?) but only on a few holes and even those greens were playable if you worked away from the spots. Weather was perfect today and the course sets up with some nice holes. Good value for $62.00.

Pace was a little slow due to cart path only on all holes; but with all the rain we've been having cannot fault the course for protecting their assets.

Outstanding

First time playing here with friends. The Staff was helpful, friendly and personable. The course was in good shape. Some aireation was in progress. Greens got faster as it warmed up.

The Resturant staff was good, fast and the food was excellent! Looking forward to playing there again.

Beautiful Course, Challenging, but under maintenance right now, so it hindered play

This is a beautiful course with an amazing clubhouse, restaurant, patio and bar.
The course was just under maintenance today when I played it, greens were recently aerated as were the fairways , plus overseeding. It was nice to see the maintenance being done, it just hampered the playability some.
Super nice course. Greens have a lot of break to them and were fairly quick, even after the over sanding, etc.
This is a great place to play golf and relax on the patio afterwards. Excellent food.

Nice solid course

Wet drizzly day, cart path only with lots of mud. Many fairways and tee boxes very thin. Greens mostly in great shape. Interesting course with eye pleasing holes. Requires course management not just pull out the driver.

Country Club Feel

1st time playing this course, and I must say I was happy to play a course with long thick rough. Course played like a country club would. Too many courses around here have short rough in my opinion. Played in roughly 4 hours on a Saturday morning. A couple of the fairways did have some burnout. But all in all well worth playing especially if you can book it as a hot deal.

Really nice course, pretty similar in difficulty and quality to Greystone. Not a ton of bunkers but if your a slicer off the tee keep your driver in the bag because OB is tight here and you're not finding your ball or hitting out of the rough stuff. Course was in good shape with normal wear and tear from it being the summer. I played at noon on a Thursday and there was maybe 3 other groups on the course (it was supposed to rain that day). Course layout is fantastic but would not recommend walking, its a bit too spread out and you'll get tired (my fault but still good exercise). I would like to especially call out Bob on the Mountain Branch staff. Extremely friendly, offered to give me a ride to the driving range, checked in and asked how I was enjoying the course at the turn, just super friendly and really made it a nice experience. Will definitely come back and play again.

Still a favorite

Course has always been one of the best layouts. No pushover. But for some reason, they’re letting areas grow and making a good challenging course more difficult than necessary. Why does this matter? It affected pace of play. Groups in front spending too much time looking for balls that last year would’ve been in the rough and no issue. Speaking of pace, got to #10 and it was stacked up, 4 groups within eye sight. So we went and replayed the front. Course condition pretty good, given the lack of rain and excessive heat. Very Covid friendly, no seed sand in cart but an employee out on the course filling divots all over the place. I loved that. It’s still a must play.

Not in good shape

Nice course, but tee boxes were in awful shape, greens in poor shape but fairways were okay. No notice of green aeration from golf now and didn't appear to be any price reduction.

Challenging but fair

I liked everything about the course except green speeds. Greens were slower than I like but with the recent weather conditions, I understand.
I will return to try my luck again.

Fun and challenging

Great course to play on 94 degree day-lots of shady rides thru beautiful woods. Greens are amazingly contoured and in very good condition. Fairways are suffering in summer heat, but mostly very good.
With Covid I purchased on line in advance, only went in clubhouse to use restroom, so no off course amenities comments.

Hidden gem

nice layout. Nice clubhouse. I'd pay to play it again. Got a multiple A10 flyover while putting out on 18!

Great course!!

Mountain Branch lives up to its name and the reviews. Elevation changes, water, beautiful views, couldn’t be better.
Course in great shape. Few spots here and there ( tee boxes, random spots on a couple greens) and I mean a few, but it’s summertime wear and tear.
Greens were quick, but not fast. ( if you know what I mean). The rough was high and gobbled up a couple of my tee shots off the fairway, 6100+ yards from whites. Anytime you get a deal, or anytime you get the opportunity to play here, DO IT!!!!

Challenging layout

The course is in good condition and has everything to offer a golfer. The greens putted well, but were a little slow, but considering the heat I understand. Several very tough pin placements today with pins tucked into corners or near crowns. Played as a twosome in the morning and finished in 3 hours. Played through 1 foursome. The starters were great. Definitely a good track from the black tees, Maybe next time the gold.

Good Course but...

Good course and well maintained. The staff is very nice and knowledgeable. The pace of play was excellent for a Thursday. While playing this round the sprinklers came on in the middle of the green and fairway on two holes and got me and the other golfer soaked.

Later on in the round the beer cart lady came by and said that the owner wanted to give us a free drink as apology for the mishap. First off, it sucked but I wasn’t going to complain and I got over it pretty quick . I thought it was awesome that they went out of their way to try and make it right without us ah big to say anything. Having said that, I have no clue how they knew it happened.

The only real issue I had with the course is that it doesn’t really have many yardage markers. I usually wear a Harmon golf watch but today I forgot it. However, I play a lot of courses and this the only course that I have played that has such weak yardage display markings. They really need to fix this ASAP. When they fix this I’ll give them 5 stars all across the board.

I will definitely play this course again.

Bel Air, Maryland