Year Built 2000
Fairways Zoysia Grass
Greens Zoysia Grass
Architect Jim Colbert (2000) Jeff Brauer (2000)

Credit Cards Accepted Visa, American Express, MasterCard
Single Allowed No
Dress code Collared shirts for men. Collared shirts, sleeveless collared shirts, or sleeved shirt without collar for women.

Great Course. Nice Restaurant and Bar. Friendly Staff

Four of us traveled from Nebraska to play this course on a beautiful Saturday afternoon during a K-State home football game, so the course was not very busy. Our 2 o’clock tee time gave us a $45 rate versus the normal $75 weekend fee, and included carts equipped with bucket seats, club and ball cleaner and GPS. Truly outstanding rates for the quality of this course! We are all average golfers with handicaps ranging from 8 to 18, so we opted for the middle (purple) teeing area. The far back (black) tees here play to over 7,500 yards!

The course layout here is very nice, presenting risk reward challenges from many tees and fairway locations. Most holes had several strategically placed fairway and green side bunkers, and the sand was like powder and wonderful to play. The zoysia grass tee boxes and fairways were in exceptional condition, and the ball sat up nicely when we were fortunate enough to keep it in the fairway! You don’t want to miss the fairways by very much as after the initial first rough cut, you proceed quickly into tall native grasses which are dense and at your knees. The greens at Colbert Hills are huge, fast, tiered, undulating and true. A lot of fun to play!

The par 3 fifth hole presented an aesthetically striking 5-bunker grouping that was comprised of purple sand in the formation of a wildcat paw, as this is the KSU golf teams’ home course. While there are numerous holes on this course that are outstanding, I especially appreciated the par 5, seventh hole and the par 4, thirteenth. We elected to play #7 from the elevated back tee. From there the hole is 600 yards and offers a wonderful view of the course and surrounding countryside. Hole #13 is a short par four which, for long hitters, presents them with a decision of whether to go for the landing area in front of the green but just beyond a gauntlet of bunkers, or lay up to the side landing area and settle for a 70-100 yard, blind approach. Besides the numerous bunkers on this course, there are also water hazards on several holes in the form of ponds and creeks that alter club selection.

After our round we gathered in the Colbert Hills restaurant and enjoyed some great food! The buffalo chicken mac & cheese was D-licious!! The people working at the restaurant were primarily Kansas State students and were very friendly.....maybe because the ‘Cats had disposed of TCU earlier in the day!

This course was well worth the 2-1/2 hour drive from Lincoln!

Awesome Layout / Views

First time playing and was very impressed by the layout. Conditioning was just alright. Would definitely play again. Very solid amenities. Manhattan should be proud to have this course. Homes are really popping up all around the course, but they are nicely situated and don't come into play. I wouldn't hesitate to come back.

Spectacular course. Please provide drinking water on course.

This course is a 2 1/2 hour drive for me. I happily make the trip a couple times a year (at least). LOVE the layout. Carved out of the Flint Hills, new homes are definitely encroaching on the natural beauty of this course. However, if that means more revenue and a more secure financial future for the course, I’m all for it. My only complaint is their decision not to provide drinking water on the course because of the problems experienced by other courses in the past (bacteria). It’s Kansas in the summer. Find a way.

Texas Advisor

Phenomenal Routing with Hit or Miss Conditions

The routing of this course is phenomenal and the stretch of holes 4-7 is one of the top 5 best stretches I have played all year. The architectural team did wonders on this property but the conditioning was somewhat subpar. Numerous bunkers were completely unplayable with giant holes in them and ledges of where I presume water had washed them out. There didn't appear to be any effort whatsoever to address this.

The elevation changes off the tee box onto some of these fairways made this course a real treat. Because of steep drops you've got to adjust your carry distance with the driver and lines you don't think are possible can be pulled off. Conversely, hazards and/or native area that looks to be way out of reach can be flown with the right wind and the right elevation drop-off from tee box to fairway. It's a good course and if I am in the area then I'd certainly come back. Is it #2 in Kansas? Maybe. I haven't seen many of the courses here. That said, this isn't even a top 50 in state course anywhere on the West Coast, Southeast, Northeast, Atlantic or midwest. However, it's relatively affordable and what appeared to be the best option within a 100-mile radius.

Lived up to the ranking

Played here because Golf Digest had it ranked as the #2 public course in the state, and I thought it was a fun track. The fairway grass is a little different (zoysia, I think), so it's maybe not as green as other courses but I thought it played just fine as I didn't have any bad lies. I especially enjoyed the holes that didn't have any homes built on them, although I'm guessing they will all soon be overrun by homes. Overall, conditions were good, and worth the #2 ranking.

Still hands down One of the BEST Golf Coursrs in America

I am not sure what the "3 star" gentlemen was talking about. I was living in Manhattan attending KSU when the course opened. I love it as much now as I did then. The course wss in prestine condition. The fairways wete well kept and manicured. The greens roll true and were as quick as those at Augusta National. The nee Golf Carts are ultra comfortable. The GPS sytem is second to none. I absolutely love the drome flyover and Pro Tip options on the screen at evey hole. I now live in the DC Metro amd have been blessed enough to play the PGA coursrs in the area and abroad.. Colbert Hills is easily on par with them. I bring my friends to Kansas to play it and they cannot wait to return each time!!!!

Disappointied

Disappointed with the declining course conditions. This golf course is an awesome tract and enjoyable to play but some type of chunky spreading grass is taking away from what used to be my favorite course. The Fint Hills scenery is still around but is being replaced by houses and condos with construction continuing. Not being busy lunch at the turn was mediocre taking 49 minutes. Golf cart condition was poor continuing to pull left with poor jumpy acceleration and braking. Such a nice place in a decline is sad to see. Our group will be in no hurry to return.

bring extra golf balls!

Very fun course. It is very long. I normally play from the purple tees. Challenges even the most competitive golfers.

great for short game play

They don't take as good of care as they do on their big course but it is great to take the kids out to to work on short game and teach them the game we love!

Leonardville, Kansas