Blue Heron Golf Course

2.3

Blue Heron Golf Course MD
Scorecard for Blue Heron Golf Course
Blue M: 56.9/95 359 324 178 103 299 149 166 158 250 1986 336 144 118 295 327 161 308 140 315 2144 4130
Red W: 54.0/90 319 296 178 95 237 142 153 150 207 1777 319 296 178 95 237 142 153 150 207 1777 3554

Year Built 1959
Fairways Rye Grass
Architect Rich Mandell

Credit Cards Accepted Yes

Recent deterioration

Blue Heron is in the worst shape I've seen it in quite a long time. And I play there a lot.

Played the front nine yesterday. Many of the tee boxes are brown and almost all the greens have fungus or bare sports. Fairways are also poor too. Quite a contract to the improvements seen just a couple months ago. Very inexpensive to play, but in this shape, it's not a very good deal.

Blue Heron

The course has some interesting carries.

But all in all a good place to work on your short game!

A fun course

Biginers can have a good time there and so low handicaped players. A very good value for your money!

The course was in very good shape with all the past rain

The rain over the last 2 weeks was above average. I was expecting the course to be very wet, but it was in good shape. It's a short course, but it is still challenging.

Excellent Fun Executive Course on the way to Annapolis or Wasington, D.C.

I went on a 3 day business trip to the Washington, D.C. area and I prefer taking the Delaware/Maryland peninsula instead of driving I-95 through Baltimore. I found this course on GolfNow.com as a Hot Deal for $10, including cart. It was a fantastic deal.

Going west on Highway 50 / 301, you take the last exit before the Bay Bridge, and head south on highway 8 for about 10 or 15 minutes, on the righthand side.

This course is an excellent and fun executive golf course, where half the holes are par 3s and half are par 4s. The longest par 4 is 319 years and the longest par 3 is 187 yards. Some holes play much longer because of hitting into the wind or cross-wind.

First let me say that I played from the back tees, to make the course more challenging plus I always hit from the back tees. I don't know why but I played very well, shooting 3 above par, with 2 birdies and 11 pars. I hit almost every green either on the par 3 or 2nd shot on the par 4s.

On the 11th hole I came within a foot of a hole-in-one (still chasing that dream).

The front 9 has small greens whereas the back 9 has normal bigger greens.

There was no one ahead of me or behind me so I could play as fast or as slow as I wanted.

The course was in decent shape. The course does have some sand bunkers, more so on the back 9.

The staff was super, super friendly. I advised the staff that I lost my putter cover on the course and if they found it they could call me because I would be driving back that way in a few days and they called me back in about 40 minutes saying that found my putter cover. That was so nice of them. They held it for me as promised when I picked it up.

I did classify this course as moderate difficulty because there are at least 2 holes (I believe 6th and 12th) where wind is a big factor. On the 6th I had to hit towards the trees to the right of the green for the wind to take it left and land on the front of the green. On the 12th, the sign at the hole for distance length is wrong, the scorecard is more accurate. It's about 144 yards from the back green but because of the head-on wind, I used my 6 iron to land it on the green. I use my 6 iron for shots about 170 yards.

I also state it's moderate difficulty because there are a lot of water holes.

The pro shop manager asked me to stop down and play again the next time I drive that way to D.C., and that's what I plan on doing. (For the price of playing at Queenstown Harbor Golf Course, you play both Fox Hollow and Blue Heron on the same drive down).

tale of two sides

The gentleman at the counter offered to let us play the back twice, but we declined, i mean how bad could the front be? Well I should have listened. The front had been recently aerated making the greens pretty unbearable. The back was a whole other story with the greens lush and holding approach shots.

We would play this again, its a great place to polish up your short game and play with the wife and kids.

It could be a hidden gem.

This course could be something great but with this heat from this summer it has devastated the front nine. The back was much better but with not knowing the layout I lost balls on holes, I should have had easy pars.

For the price it was worth it but the conditions of the course were horrible. might try again in the fall.

average golfer

Bowie is my home course, nice place to play however they need a marshal

Small and not well maintained

Greens were in poor condition. There are no cart paths. Very small course.

First Time There

Course is half par 4's and half par 3's. A few of the greens have some burn out on them but overall the course is a good value for the money. It would also be a great course to take beginners and people that do not play often. Most par 3's are challenging due to the very small greens.

Great Getaway Course

Great value. Perfect for beginners. The front nine greens are rough (small and beat up). The back nine greens are pristine. Note the par 63.. if you think you are a big hitter and this course won't contain you. It is ABSOLUTELY PERFECT for optimizing your 100-165 yrd game. Its in a real quiet area and not really busy ever. Great pace of play.

short but fun

A short course - no par 5s and lots of par 3s. Nevertheless, a fun course to play; water is a factor for most holes. The greens are pretty straightforward. Not too many people playing so we finished in about three hours. Excellent value when booked on Golf Now.

Only worth the 10$ I paid

Basic layout. Greens in putt- able on most of the front 9. Back 9 was better. I should have known when the walk on in front of me only wanted to play the back. I was there around 1pm. Only saw a few other players. Almost had the place to myself. Played 18 in 2.5 hours. Cart paths need work. Some sort of flying insect around water hazards hen you got close. I drove 35 minutes to get there and paid bridge tolls. I wouldn't do it again. I guess it workks for locals who don't want to cross the bridge to the western shore. It works to get out and hit the ball but wouldn't make a special trip. Sorry.

Pleasantly Surprised

This course is in pretty good shape considering the cost to play. The staff couldn't have been friendlier and the pace of play was great. This is a perfect course to work on your short game.

I'll definitely be going back.

Blue Heron Golf Course

This course is where I learned to play 25 years ago, taught my kids and my wife to play. If you think it's easy, guess again. It is an executive course and the par 4s are only around 300 yards. But, the par 3s can be challenging. The greens on the front 9 are domed postage stamps! This is a great course to work on your short game!

Great for the price

The course is only a par 63 I think so I usually play with my wife who struggles on longer courses. They have several hazards and well placed trees that still provide challenging shots. The greens might have been the best I have seen on any course and it was mid November! The only issue is they let walk ins play right away so it can get backed up. Overall great little course.

I guess I picked a bad day to play here

Golf Now let me make a reservation for 7:30 but the course didn't open until 8. When I came around to hole 10 there were about 6 or more foursomes of women playing the back nine. Given the conditions of the first nine holes I just left. It wasn't worth it. The guy that let me in the gate before they opened was nice and friendly though.

Good Practice-paid for 18 but played 9

For what is is this course is fun . I judge a course by the way it makes me think for each shot particularly off the tee, not blazing away with a driver every time, this course did exactly that and from tee to green the course was very good. The tee boxes and fairways were in very good condition however the greens were in very poor condition and not worth putting on. The fact that the greens are small only enhanced my round to encourage me to improve my accuracy. Up to now I am commenting on the first 9 holes. The major downside was waiting behind the group of 3 in front on every single shot, who clearly were enjoying taking several shots each until they hit a good shot and had no idea about the etiquette of golf to allow faster players through. We followed them for 9 holes. When I mentioned this in the Pro Shop after completing 9 holes the gentleman at the counter laughed at me saying that slow play was not possible and indicated that nothing was going to be done about it so I decided to end the round there and not spend another 3 hours playing the second 9 holes. The gentleman who checked us in at the start of our round was excellent, shame he wasn't there when we came in after 9 holes.

Great for improving small parts of your game

Had a great time on this par 63 course, all 3's and 4's. The front nine is much older then the back and you can tell but is far from bad. The front 9's greens are VERY small, so challenging, but in good condition. The back 9 is longer, has better fairways, and the greens were great. Probably the worse part of this small course is some of its tee boxes that need some work but over the past few years playing here overall condition has improved quite a bit. Water is a factor on only 2 holes on the front but about 5 holes on the back. No real need to pull out the driver here. The staff was very friendly, as I had a woman come take my cart for me after I unloaded my bag into my truck.

Blue heron

Lovely setting for a pleasant afternoon. Very walkable

Stevensville, Maryland