Honey Creek Golf Club

Silver 71 5517 yards 67.8 116
Scorecard for Honey Creek
Black M: 73.1/131 530 432 180 381 544 190 395 366 382 3400 365 205 565 410 390 435 410 195 430 3405 6805
Blue M: 70.9/129 500 404 155 350 515 165 365 324 355 3133 340 180 535 385 340 415 385 166 415 3161 6294
White M: 69.6/118 480 382 141 330 493 141 345 306 334 2952 320 153 505 365 310 395 355 137 390 2930 5882
Silver M: 67.8/116 456 358 115 312 473 116 328 286 314 2758 300 150 485 345 285 365 335 128 366 2759 5517
Red W: 65.5/112 405 333 101 291 423 110 285 259 298 2505 265 128 460 310 250 330 295 104 310 2452 4957

Year Built 2003
Architect Brad Benz (2003)

Credit Cards Accepted Yes

• Golf Advisor: Top Courses in Iowa (2017 #4)

Absolutely perfect!

I love this course. The front nine is very different than the back. The front nine is challenging, but the back nine is a show stopper. All holes are different and the view is great.

Love this place

Beautiful staff, great course an all around good place to play. A bit of a drive but well worth it!

New course we played

Was very excitedly pleased, great course. Best value in the area. I will definitely go back and play again.

Beautiful course, tough back nine. Loved every second of it, favorite course near Des Moines.

One of the Best!

This has been my favorite course in central Iowa since moving here 12 years ago. The course is tough, but fair. It has all the challenges, which makes it fun! The back nine gives the feel of playing in Colorado. Awesome!

Good as always

I am regularly play in Honey Creek and course is always good shape. Just need full service club house for food and drinks.

Nice course and in great shape

Staff was friendly, course was in great shape. Staff even watered the greens during the hot day. Course is well taken care of and we will be back to play again

Arizona visitor

Good to get back to playing golf in Iowa. Moved to Arizona and missed getting a chance to play this course. Conditions were nice. Not a lot of people playing so round went very smoothly. Greens putted nicely and held well. Love the challenges of the back 9. Always a good time playing Honey Creek.

Great Design

Front nine is pure golf and sets you up for a spectacular

back nine. Will definitely play again.

Honey Creek

Pretty darn nice. First time and it was a nice time despite the showers.

You'll Need Help

Overall, here's the thing. This should be a really fun and challenging course. It's sad that they don't have a course guide available for you because you might not have a good first round here without one. You'll realize this within the first two holes. Looking back, at least half of the par-fours and par-fives likely require less than driver off the tee. Our experience would have been so much more enjoyable knowing this, or at least having some general guidance along those lines.

A simple description on each hole on the scorecard would solve that ... and help first-timers here enjoy what really is a fun course.

We joked after the round that this should be called the "Don't" Course. In terms of DOs and DON'Ts, there's a whole bunch of the latter here. You're greeted at the clubhouse by a giant sign prohibiting outside coolers or beer and that they'll be confiscated (Obnoxious, considering no on-course beverage cart service was provided). There's another sign on the first tee telling you not to urinate anywhere on the course other than facilities. There's another sign telling you not to start on Hole 10. In the men's room, there's a list of 23 rules and policies for the course. On the scorecard, there's more USGA rules.

Uhh, are we allowed to have fun or play golf, or are there rules against that, too?!

Fun course

good pace of play fun course they paced the tee times so you don't push a group and you don't get pushed

Iowa Advisor

One of my favorites!

This was the second time I've played Honey Creek and my second review of this course. I must say this course still gets a five-star review because of the fun and challenging course layout with excellent views, especially on the back 9.

A few friends and I decided to play hooky and hit this track on a Friday morning. I started out with a Bloody Mary, which was pretty standard made up of your store bought mix and some vodka. Nothing special but it still hit the spot.

The front 9 is pretty straight forward with not much elevation. Fairways are wide open, the rough is about right and the greens rolled true. Going out I was +8, not typical for someone with my high handicap.

After 9 I stopped in the small clubhouse for the typical course hot dog. They also had a few other types of dogs and brats on the roller, and everything else you would expect in a smaller club house.

The back 9 is a different story than the front. Lots of elevation change and views that are sure to distract you. My round fell apart coming in but it didn't matter because the course here is so beautiful. Again the fairways are wide open making the course very fun and playable. I also felt the bunkers were strategically placed and came in to play a bit more on the back 9.

The pace of play throughout the round was excellent, the cart was speedy, the staff was friendly and the beer was cold. If you are in the area, you must play this course. Once you hit hole 11, you'll forget you’re in Iowa.

Beautiful golf course

Course had small amount of winter kill still present on greens. However, this would not stop me from coming back or recommending this course to others. Great, unique design with views like no other course in the state! Last but not least, the staff was accommodating and pleasant to work with. This course is a gem.

Great Course and closer than you think

I hadn't been here in years but it was once part of my territory for work. I usually only had time for the front nine which is relatively flat and good for walking. Always was in good shape. Monday I rode so I could play the back nine which is in a valley...WOW, spectacular on a Fall day. Even though they were aerating fairways the plugs were very small and didn't affect play. The 11th part 3 has an elevation drop of 60-80 feet with a view of the next 3 holes. Twelve is my favorite with a par 5 over a clear stream and up the north side of the valley. After that you begin your assent on the south side of the valley with the holes terraced on the rocky slope. Like playing in Colorado instead of Iowa. Cudos to the members or the staff for filling divots. They have sand available and use it. I have always said; if your players are not filling them, send a kid out with a sand/seed mix on a Gator, especially the tee boxes. The clubhouse doesn't really match the course but I don't care as long as the golf is great and a value, which Honey Creek is. Take 30-40 minutes to drive there from Des Moines and you won't be disappointed.

Iowa Advisor

You won't believe how great this course is.

Over the years I have always heard how great Honey Creek is and how cheap it is to play but never really gave it a chance. After searching tee times on Golf Now, I booked 18 with a cart for less than $20. I arrived at the course and entered a small but average clubhouse. I didn't take much time to look around as I wanted to get out and play, but I did notice they had an average number of menu items, a full bar and a few items for sale such as tees, balls and gloves. I was about 30 minutes early for my tee time and was allowed to hit the course early. I teed off on number one and realized how nice the bent grass fairways were. On number two I caught up to another player who let me play through without any problem. As I continued to play the front nine I couldn't believe how nice the course was kept. As I got to the back nine, really eleven through eighteen, I couldn't believe this course was in Boone, Iowa. Lots of elevation change carved in to the Ledges State Park with amazing views as far as the eye could see. You will play every club in your bag and be forced to make decisions on shot type. Greens here were in perfect shape and offered nice undulations. The wildlife was abundant as deer and bald eagles really made the experience that much better. A few years ago I played The General at Eagle Ridge, a 4.5 star course on Golf Advisor, and found these two tracks very similar. The only difference is green fees at The General were $165 and at Honey Creek they were around $20. I know this is hard to believe but I am telling you to play this course, as you will not be disappointed. As far as pace of play, I played all 18 in about three hours. During this round of golf I took my time and didn't have anyone in front or behind. It was a perfect and relaxing round of golf.

Ames, Iowa