Jones Golf Course – Speidel (at Oglebay Resort)

Year Built 1970

Single Allowed No

Guys Golf Trip

This course is still undergoing some conversion to bent grass fairways. Still quite a few greens and fairways with bare spots throughout. Many of the longer par fives on this course have really awkward designs where you will need to hit shorter irons off the tee. Be prepared to take extra golf balls as they have a tendency to plug even with drive to the middle of the fairway.

Golf trip ruined

slow play
no ranger
starters did not seem to care
will not return or recommend
left with sour taste

Great course just pace was awful

Had nothing bad to say about it beside the pace of play. It took 15 minutes to get 2 gatorades and a snickers because they only hadn’t one staff member working the bar area.

Commented on 07/23/2019

Hi Tyler - We apologize for the wait. We understand that it is unacceptable. However we do enjoy hearing that you had a great round. We hope you had a great rest of your visit at Oglebay. Thanks again!

Played the Jones course. Nice course to play. It was a little windy but really warm. I don't think it should cost as much as it does before the twilight rates kick in.

Commented on 07/23/2019

Hello! We would love to host you during our twilight hours of play. Thanks for the 4 star review and for taking the time to play our course. We hope you had a great round and look forward to seeing you back on sight soon!

Fairways dispicable!

Played with my son and 2 other gentlemen today after driving 1 1/4 hours. Last time I played was 25 years ago. Layout is pretty nice and challenging. However fairways were burned out. Couldn't believe my eyes! When inquired about the burned out fairways, started and ranger indicated local municipality did not allow them to use city water to water the fairways. Probably because the bill was not paid. So for 9 days in all of the heat the area was under, the fairways suffered. Greens were OK. Not the fastest, but OK. Went to clubhouse and voiced displeasure. The lady behind the counter was very nice to talk to and she asked if I would return this year. I stated not until conditions improve. She gave us a rain check for 2 players since we were not real happy. Class act!! I would not play Jones course until conditions improve.

Commented on 07/31/2018

Thank you for the review - I am glad to see you were given a rain-check round as we want all our golfers to have the best experience possible.

Please allow me to shed some light as to why our course is in its current condition. We recently faced water restrictions mandated in response to the failure of the County water tank (which feeds our irrigation system). This led to increased demands put onto the City’s water supplies.

In turn, our golf courses received water levels significantly below normal needs. It also coincided with the hottest and driest time of the summer.

Unfortunately for the Jones and Palmer, fairway turf quality took a hit. Poa annua (Jones' Grass) is less resistant to sweltering heats. Extensive re-grassing will now take place late-July. Bent grass (found on the Palmer) is more resistant to hot, dry conditions. Just four fairways will be reseeded, along with small swales and high tops.

We pride ourselves on being straightforward with guests. Our team is working tirelessly to restore Oglebay’s championship-level conditioning standard. While I assume you we paid our 'water bill' we hope to see you back at Oglebay to use your rain - check round.

Ohio Advisor

An excellent RTJones designed course.

This is a typical RTJones design. Most greens are elevated, so no way to roll up onto the greens. Greens large and rolling, fairly fast. Front nine is extremely hilly, don't even think about walking it! Back nine a little less severe. Played in slightly over 3 and one half hours. Quite a few forced carries to the start of the fairway, be sure to pick the length appropriate to your ability. A good 5 star course, wish it was a little flatter!

Indy Advisor

Slow But Interesting

Played the Jones course, and it was an interesting layout. Had a few quirky L shaped holes, including 18, and 8 was a very tricky narrow tee shot with the hillside left and the fairway sloping towards OB right (the driving range). The rough was thick and lush, especially where there would be run off, which seemed a little penal since I had a few tee shots run just off the fairway thanks to gravity into rough that was more than ankle deep. Greens were in good shape, quick going down slow going uphill. Only main issue is it was very slow as you'd expect at a resort course - I started solo and played the first 6 or so holes in 30ish minutes. From there the last 12 took almost 3:30.

Overall though you can probably do worse and it's a fun mountain course. Find a deal online and it's worth the few miles from I-70 if you're driving through the area.

Fantastic golfing

Fantastic golfing One of the nicest courses I have played Great staffing

Slow - but nice afternoon for golf

several slower groups ahead - played through,
Course was a fun round

Will never be back

Took our annual 20 man buddies trip here for 3 days of golf and the golf courses were top notch but the staff screwed up our billing and demanded we pay more for our last day there, so we said see ya, thought it was bush league for them to ask us to pay more for their mistake.

Ohio Advisor

A beautiful, mountain course, with difficult greens

Got a hot deal at $18, versus the rack rate of $69. Course may be a little overpriced at $69, as a lot of tee boxes are showing signs of heavy play. Greens , particularly on the back 9 are treacherous, do not get above the hole and expect to 2 putt. . #17 is borderline unfair, as drives all funnel into the rough, and the green is severely sloped.

Cart personnel and refreshment lady were great, and friendly. Course will shut down soon for Winter, try and snag a hot deal if you can this Fall.

Poor course management

Call before you go! We went on 10/10/16 for a 1:44 tee time. We were informed due to frost they were running an hour and forty five minutes behind. I didn't have frost at my residence so, had no clue. I realize they can't control the weather but also notice that they overbooked the course as groups were waiting for carts causing more delay. Evidently they don't have marshals on the course as at #7 tee there were 5 groups waiting to tee off. We were only able to get 14 holes in before it was too dark. I doubt that I will return.

Tough, a little beat up

Have played this course numerous times, but this was the first time in years. It's not my favorite course, simply because at times it can be flat out unfair - grass cut too low in certain spots and you are penalized for hitting fairways. This time around the greens were pretty beat up and it looked like they aerated somewhat recently. Fairways were shredded, not sure what had happened - not just bare spots, but multiple GUR locations. Booked online and it was a decent deal at $19 for 9 holes. Palmer/Wheeling CC significantly nicer.

Great value

Greens were a little rough but fairways were generally solid. Thick rough. Outstanding value for a RTJ designed course- thanks Military Tee Times!

jones at ogelbay

9 out of 10.great course staff and amentities great!

Ohio Advisor

A beautiful hilly course, check before booking

Course is a beautiful one, extremely hilly with several blind shots. Unfortunately, they received 2 " of rain the prior day, so we were cart path only. The course is tough enough normally, without having to walk up and down huge hills on virtually every hole. Cart path only was the correct call, as there was quite a bit of casual water in low spots.

Greens were a little slow, possibly from the rain, and quite undulating. 3 putts are easy to occur. Course was a recent addition to Hot Deals, played for $25; our receipt showed normal rate at 2PM would be $69. Not sure that I would pay that for a round here, but the hot deal was a steal. We will be back, but, will call ahead if rainy conditions have occurred the prior day

A difficult, but very good RTJ test

They say the locals prefer this course over the Palmer Course at Oglebay Resort, but after playing this difficult Robert Trent Jones layout, the only thing I can conclude is that because it's priced lower than the Palmer, the locals feel like they get more value here. Still, it's a great test, and you can understand how the better player would appreciate this RTJ design, which features very narrow fairways and even more sidehill lies than the Palmer Course. In fact, several times, I thought I turned the ball enough into the sloping fairways, only to find the ball still well into the rough. With that said, the course has great views, numerous blind shots and requires good players to hit all their shots. If you're a recreational player and can only play one of the championship layouts at Oglebay, I'd recommend the Palmer Course. But if you have time, play them both. They're quite different from each other.

Church Buddy Weekend

We played the Jones Course on the 3rd day of our getaway. The course was in great shape and enjoyable even though I didn't play it well. The greens needed cut but really tough when you got on the wrong side of the hole. OVERALL a very nice day of golf !

Very Nice Mountain Golf

Played the Robert Trent Jones, Sr. course the first day, the Arnold Palmer course the next. Both courses had their share of side-hill and blind shots, the Palmer one a little more though. That being said both were very nice to play, I'd definitely play there more if it was closer to home. There are plenty of great views from tee boxes and other areas on the course (see attached).

Rayland, Ohio
Claysville, Pennsylvania
Wellsburg, West Virginia
Wellsburg, West Virginia
Moundsville, West Virginia

Valid dates: Oct 10, 2019 - Oct 31, 2019
Golf Package Special for October starts at $199.00 for 1 or 2 golfers, Monday to Thursday. Golf included for each nights stay. Call 520-577-4092 to add additional golfers to the package.