Palmer Golf Course – Speidel (at Oglebay Resort)

Year Built 2000
Architect Arnold Palmer (2000)

Single Allowed No

• Golf Advisor: Top Courses in West Virginia (2018 #5)

Classic Palmer Design

The course design is fun and well thought out. Beautiful scenic course with only a few blind shots. fairways and greens for the most part were in really good condition. Only a few spots of ground under repair. When our group played the bunkers had not been maintained in a while. Overall nice course with tremendous value in a beautiful setting.

Mountain like course...conditions meh

Based on the cost of this course and how it’s written up on the website, I had an extremely high expectation set for this place. I’ve played golf for years in the mountains so I knew what I was getting myself into in terms of difficulty, but I was honestly disappointed. I would still recommend this course to a friend, but only if you play during twilight and have realistic expectations set.

The conditions were average to decent. But not like you would expect for a course that charges over $70 a round at prime time. The course is difficult, which was to be expected. Pace of play was amazing as we barely saw any other golfers out there. This staff member inside the pro shop was extremely nice as well. It was surprisingly dead for a Sunday afternoon at a resort..

If you’ve not played mountain lake golf before and you are in the area, hit this place up after 3p, but expect conditions much closer to a good public course at your home and not a resort course charging twice as much.

Commented on 07/23/2019

Hello. Thank you for taking the time to review our facility. We value customer feedback and use it to ensure we can provide our golfers with the best experience possible. We sincerely apologize for the course conditions but being up to par. We are conscious or the problem areas and are working to resolve them. We do enjoy hearing the positive comments regarding POP and our staff. Thanks again for playing a round with us - we hope to see you back again soon.

Bad

The golf shop is the first thing you see before you play anywhere, it should not be a hassle or should you be treated like an alien .The round was ruined before even teeing off ...ie rude behavior from staff and no sign of golf now reservation even though clearly on my phone I had two confirmed times Saturday and Sunday.Even worse the second day hassled by lady in shop said no golf now t time after even confirming the day before that I would be playing the following day egod .....tried to get a cart and attendant was no where to be found don’t blame him I would run and hit balls too ...fits in well with rest of staff.play elsewhere

Commented on 08/05/2019

Thanks for your review. We are sorry you had poor experience with us and would like to continue this conversation with you. Please reach out to us at info@oglebaygolf.com.

Very nice course.

Great layout and great staff. You can tell they keep the course in great shape. I played right after a heavy rain so the bunkers were hard but that was to be expected. You can tell though even from the rain that they rake the bunkers every day.

Friendly staff, great layout

This was my first time playing at Speidel. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The course was in really great shape considering the incredible amount of rain the night before. The course was fairly empty, so pace of play wasn't an issue. Well worth the hour and 15 minute drive from Pittsburgh. I will be back.

Pace of play

Pace of play here is horrible. 5 hours. No on course marshals. Stay away!

Great Day

Lucky to get a warm day in December in West Virginia. Great to get a tee time on an outstanding golf course “Hit Deal”.
Really enjoyed the round

Worth the drive from Pittsburgh

I have been wanting to play this course for years. Well worth the wait. Excellent fairways, greens, and tee boxes. Very well maintained. Sprinkler and 200, 150, and 100 yard markers. Staff very nice. Good food and beer options. I will come back to shoot better since I now know a little about the course. Very minor complaints. For the regular rates they charge a GPS system should be on the cart. If no GPS then the score card of tee markers should have some sort of distance to bunkers, doglegs, ponds, etc. I lost several shots because I did not have the correct game plan on each hole. The other issue is many blind shots to the greens. This is the standard in Western PA/WVU but seeing the pin makes a big difference . Other than that great course and I have played over 100

What a gem

This course is in phenomenal shape. The layout is amazing and there are so many holes that stand out. Pace of play was just a little longer than I am used to but didn't hinder my experience. The 10 dollar golfnow deal honestly feels like robbery. This course is amazing and will play over and over again.

Excellent

I really enjoyed my experience at speidel Palmer course. It was very wet but the greens were perfect . Bring a rangefinder because the distances aren't well marked and the greens are huge!

Great Time

The course was in good shape and the staff was very nice.
The course got rid of the cart GPS systems they used to have last year and we were not aware of that prior to going. Luckily one in the group did bring their GPS.

Gotta love golf now prices and choices of courses thanks golf now

Enjoy the views. You'll have plenty of time to admire nature.

A quality golf course. Unfortunately, extremely slow play and no course management. We quit after 12 holes of molasses pace and rode in on the cart path - only to see holes 13-18 unoccupied. Two foursomes completely clogged the course.

The course ranger was remarkably dense about the pace and was beyond rude if not completely confrontational when we pointed out the slow play.

Will not return.

Commented on 10/09/2017

We had a ranger when we were there this past week. We was ridding around pushing people and we got the round done in about 4 hours and 15 minutes. I think they may have fixed this issue or at least maybe there were better people working when I went than during your experience

Beautiful area

Went with my 3 year old son to play Palmer. The course was packed so I asked about playing The Jones course instead. It was wide open and we had a great day

Very nice course.

Always in great shape. Played here many times never gets old. All around always a good time.

great course

Love every Palmer course I've ever played, this one is no exception. Play there once or twice a year. Pace of play on that Saturday afternoon however became unbearable for me.

Excellent Day

The weather was great, the course was great, and so was the service.

Rayland, Ohio
Claysville, Pennsylvania
Moundsville, West Virginia
Wellsburg, West Virginia
Wellsburg, West Virginia

Valid dates: Oct 10, 2019 - Oct 31, 2019
Golf Package Special for October starts at $199.00 for 1 or 2 golfers, Monday to Thursday. Golf included for each nights stay. Call 520-577-4092 to add additional golfers to the package.