Superior National at Lutsen - Canyon Nine

Handicap 3 1 9 5 13 15 7 17 11
Par 5 4 4 5 4 3 4 3 4 36 72

Year Built 1991
Fairways Blue Grass
Architect Joel Goldstrand (1991) Jeff Brauer (2017)

Credit Cards Accepted Yes

Customer courtesy

Superior National is a beautiful course with a great location and views. However the customer service leaves a bit to be desired. I have played there 2 times this summer and each time the lack of customer service was disappointing. The first time it had rained and no one bothered to offer a towel to wipe off the golf cart even though the party ahead of us got huge towels to wipe off the cart seat. I guess since I was not a regular I didn't get the same service. I asked for a towel and was given a bar towel. Not exactly adequate.

The second experience wasn't much better. Made a tee time, checked in (all by the same person) and headed out to the first tee. I was told by the starter I was playing with another party. However no one told me that when I made the tee time or when I checked in. The party i was paired with had specifically asked to play alone when he made a tee time a week in advance. No one told him either he would be playing with another party. It was very busy and I understand being paired is sometimes necessary but common courtesy is to let golfers know they are being paired. Neither of us would have had an issue had we just been notified before heading out.

If Superior National wants to become a destination golf course they definitely need to improve on their customer service!

Great improvements are being made

Superior National at Lutsen has finished an 18-hole renovation of the River and Canyon courses. It is scheduled for a grand re-opening spring of 2018. This 4.6 million dollar renovation improved the courses tremendously! There are now five sets of tees, expanded fairways, improved irrigation, new green complexes and "Ohio's Best" white sand bunkers. We hope with time and funding we can make the needed improvements on the Mountain 9-holes.

I appreciate all comments and we are doing everything within our means to provide you with a great golfing experience. I rate us an overall 4 today, we will always strive to be better!

Waste of Time and Money

Before I drove almost four hours to get there, I called the Pro Shop to ask about course conditions. After letting him know that I would be driving cross country I was told that the course was in "outstanding shape". It is not. Actually, its in deplorable condition. The fairways look like a tractor pulling contest was held on them, very deep ruts all over, huge areas of dead and dying turf, uncut rough and traps that are filled with rock hard black dirt. The course has three nines and only one

( RIVER ) is playable. I was charged $68 plus tax for nine playable holes. No wonder there were very few golfers even though the weather was ideal. Save your money and your time. If you want t look at the lake you can do so from the dozens of free rest areas.

SupNationalMgmt
Commented On 08/13/2017

Thanks for the comments maximusgolfus. We appreciate all reviews, good or bad. It is true, the Mountain 9-holes does need some work and we are daily trying to improve it's conditions. Please keep in mind that leading up to the day you played, in two weeks we had over 14 inches of rain. We had the most rain in the month of June ever recorded at the golf course. When we commented that the course was in outstanding shape, that was taking into account that past rainfall and we were still above water and golfing. Some course might be unplayable and closed. I think your pictures tell the story. When golfers go off the cart paths or mowers mow grass, they create ruts and potholes with that much saturated turf. It also shocks some areas with that much rain and the turf can look dead and rotted, but with drying out and care, comes back green.

We do all we can to repair that. Also, you played after the 4th of July Holiday. We being a destination golf course, most players had played through the 1st to 4th. Historically the day you played is quiet, not many vacationing.

I understand social media is a format where people can say what they want, but I encourage those that have a bad(or good) experience to find management on the spot and express your issues.

Yours Truly,

Pretty Course, TERRIBLE Staff

I've been making the 4.5 Hour trip from Minneapolis yearly to play this course; the scenery is really tough to beat.

However, I really can't stay silent any longer about the terribly rude staff that works at this course. I don't know if it's stemming from an iron-range dislike for "city folk" or if it's reverse age discrimination, but it get's worse every year.

These managers need to wakeup and realize that a course like this can't sustain itself by locals only, it depends on tourism golf- just be kind to everyone that comes up to spend $75 in greens fees for "so-so" conditions, along with the $40 spent on lunch and beer, not to mention the support to the local economy.

SupNationalMgmt
Commented On 08/13/2017

Thank you u1633173 for the comments. These last couple of years Superior National has gone through management changes. I pledge myself and my staff going forward to welcome every golfer and provide them with a pleasurable golfing experience.

I hope you can make it back and play the renovated 18-holes in 2018.

Sincerely,

Superior

Love the course. One my favorites. Goldstrand did a fabulous Job on the newest layout. Very picturesque.

course staff Management

The staff at the course did not monitor pace of play and this is killing the game of golf ion my view. Nor did they make us aware that this course was under construction before we drove 150 miles so we could determine whether we even wanted to make the trip which we would not have if this information was provided. Would not make the drive again based on these facts.

Price was great

Beautiful scenery with views of Lake Superior. Excellent price on Golfnow

golf outing

Beautiful scenery. It's good they are redoing the course because it's in bad shape. Greens very slow. Personnel were helpful.

Superior National

Very nice setting as advertised. Lots of construction going on River nine is closed Canyon 9 not to be missed. Nice, helpful staff.

Beautiful course you will not forget!!

Great course. The RIVER course is a must if you are golfing this course, you will not forget the views from this 9. The mountain 9 is nice also but more like a average golf course. Putting was difficult as the lake "pulls" the ball toward it, so you will have to be aware of where the lake is when you are on the green.

unique course must play at least once

Great views and scenery but fog on lake diminished it a lot on our day. Fairways were in fair condition, greens excellent. Not overly tight driving but with rough baked out and mostly running away to woods or water for drainage I suppose, any moderate miss was gone. Putting was a bit of a mystery due to lake effect. Only real negative I had was when going into woods there were to many times the drop offered no shot to green. In effect a double penalty. I recommend the mountain/ canyon, skip the river. Mundane after the other two nines.

Breathtaking views

we played this morning on a disc. our overall experience was amazing. the course was in pristine shape with the exception of the couple of greens that appeared to have suffered winterkill. I was surprised at the time of play because of the beauty, the lake views, water falls & the rivers where amazing, will definitely play again with another discount.

Beautiful!

I used GolfNow to purchase my first round at Superior National at a discount. I enjoyed the course, but I would not walk into the ProShop and pay the normal rates. This is simply my snapshot summary. I expected the course to be pristine. I don't know why, I just did. There were plenty of rough patches around the course that were either bad grass or patchy grass. I can't say enough about the scenery. There were countless views of Lake Superior and the River and Canyon lived up to their names. I became frustrated not too far into the round because the course is so short. I knew this when I purchased my tee time, but it was shorter in person. I just wished there was another tee box or two to extend the course. I found a few locations that gave yardages to points of trouble on the course, but for the most part I had a hard time figuring out where to play shots and ended up hitting through fairways. So, if you have some kind of GPS I'm sure you'll do better than I did. I know I could tee off with other clubs, which would also make the course feel longer, but I didn't drive up there to hit 4 irons all day. I'll know better lines next time...because there will be a next time. I want another shot at this course. If you play here you'll enjoy the golf, but make sure you take time to look around and enjoy the beauty that surrounds you as well.

fog rolled in before tee time.

We where unfortunate to experiance playing through fog all 18 holes. We could not see any shot 50 yards our more on all 18 holes. Apparently this golf coarse offers outstanding views of Lutsens majestic scenery. Unfortunatley we where unnable to see antything.

Beautiful setting, and great views while playing golf.

This course is a favorite of mine. It is an expensive course that I probably would not play very often at its standard rates. I appreciate the hot deals rate that was offered.

Valid dates: Nov 26, 2018 - Dec 31, 2019