Slope N/A
Rating N/A

Editor's Note: Course closed. See Superior National at Lutsen - Premier 18 listing.

Superior National at Lutsen

Year Built 1991
Fairways Blue Grass
Architect Joel Goldstrand (1991) Jeff Brauer (2017)

Credit Cards Accepted Yes

Bar, Grill

Clubhouse, Banquet Facilities

Beautiful Course

We played this course on September 22, 2020, and the leaves were peak in Lutsen. Every hole was so beautiful. Canyon course is a bit difficult for a beginner. There are views of Lake Superior, from so many of the holes. We will definitely play here again.

Beautiful challenging course! Been playing for 12 years. River and canyon 9 were redesigned and greatly increased my enjoyment playing there. The greens are hard to read.

Very nice round

Course was in great condition. Greens rolled soft and slow. A combination of recent rain and mowing. The course has a nice layout and views of Lake Superior. No breakfast, only lunch. A must play if you’re in the area.

Just ok

This was my first time up to the course and based on the advertisment, i thought it was going to be full of crazy down and up hill tee shots and the last 5 holes deliver on that but the first 13 are just ok. Not bad but doesn't have the wow factor of the others.

The conditions were good, not great. Certainly not on the same level of the other high end courses in the state. Greens were a little shaggy and very slow. For 100 bucks, that wasn't what I was expecting. I also have a real problem with high end courses charging 100 bucks and not providing complimentary range balls. This should just happen like it does at the other high end courses. I also thought it was weird that the guy behind the counter makes it a point to lecture golfers about teeing off on time while in the clubhouse. Maybe just have a starter and treat your guests like adults.

Bottom line, it was good, not great. Probably not worth 100 bucks.

Minnesota Advisor

Spectacular Views, Dramatic Elevation Changes

Superior National Golf Course is nestled between the ski slopes of the Lutsen Mountains and the shore of Lake Superior, providing spectacular views of mountains or lake on almost every hole. The course was renovated three years ago and the former three nines that played interchangeably were reconfigured into the “Premier 18” hole track (the River and Canyon nines), and the old Mountain 9 used for nine hole play or for FootGolf. This review covers the Premier 18. The course features expansively wide fairways and dramatic elevation changes on many holes. Rough is not very high, so losing a ball that wanders a little off the short grass is unlikely, but balls that go farther astray will almost surely be lost in the deep woods that lie beyond. There are five sets of tees ranging from 6,763 yards to 4,238 yards. Based on our average drive and the scorecard recommendation, we played the middle (Blue) tees at 5,857 yards (68.9 rating, 127 slope) and found this to be a wise choice, providing some moderately easy holes and a few real challenges. Greens were large and undulating, with some breaks that were very difficult to read. However, one major disappointment was the speed of these greens- definitely on the slow side. Every member of our foursome left many putts short and many chips from off the green failed to get anywhere close to the hole. We speculated that winter kill may have led the greenskeepers to leave them longer than usual in order to help them heal. Nevertheless, our overall experience of the course was very positive, and the views were amazing. The course starts with an easy par 4 that gives no hint of what is to come. The fun begins on the second hole, a 135 yard par 3 that is all carry over a whitewater canyon of the Poplar River. A 135 yard shot is usually no big deal, but the canyon and the whitewater can definitely get in your head, and two of our group failed to make it across and onto the green. From there the course provides right and left dogleg holes, more forced carries over canyons and many elevation changes. Well-placed fairway bunkers caught many otherwise good drives, and the many greenside bunkers ruined a few approach shots. The par 4 eleventh hole is 399 yards from the blue tees, with a canyon running across the fairway about 300 yards out. From there it’s almost all carry to the green, so following your drive you must assess your ability to carry the hazard or choose to lay up. Only one of our group managed to par this hole. Probably the most spectacular hole on the course is the short (110 yards from the blue tees) par 3 fifteenth. From a severely elevated tee you must choose the right club to carry the river canyon. If you’re long, you’ll find yourself chipping back from a slope that serves as a backstop past the green that is wide, but not very deep. Once again, one member of our group lost a ball in the river. And there was no drop zone.
As stated earlier, the only shortcoming of this course was the speed of the greens. The variety of holes and the challenges presented by the many different looks of the fairways and greens made the experience very enjoyable. Every member of our group took at least a few pictures of the views. I will definitely plan to come back.

Great views and more

We got a great rsyr from Golf now...the weather was cloudy and cool...but the course is one of the most dcrniv in the Midwest. Great layout with many unique holes..course conditions are the best ever althoughy the greens are a bit dlog...very playable if you pick the right tees. Love iy

Customer courtesy

Superior National is a beautiful course with a great location and views. However the customer service leaves a bit to be desired. I have played there 2 times this summer and each time the lack of customer service was disappointing. The first time it had rained and no one bothered to offer a towel to wipe off the golf cart even though the party ahead of us got huge towels to wipe off the cart seat. I guess since I was not a regular I didn't get the same service. I asked for a towel and was given a bar towel. Not exactly adequate.
The second experience wasn't much better. Made a tee time, checked in (all by the same person) and headed out to the first tee. I was told by the starter I was playing with another party. However no one told me that when I made the tee time or when I checked in. The party i was paired with had specifically asked to play alone when he made a tee time a week in advance. No one told him either he would be playing with another party. It was very busy and I understand being paired is sometimes necessary but common courtesy is to let golfers know they are being paired. Neither of us would have had an issue had we just been notified before heading out.
If Superior National wants to become a destination golf course they definitely need to improve on their customer service!

Great improvements are being made

Superior National at Lutsen has finished an 18-hole renovation of the River and Canyon courses. It is scheduled for a grand re-opening spring of 2018. This 4.6 million dollar renovation improved the courses tremendously! There are now five sets of tees, expanded fairways, improved irrigation, new green complexes and "Ohio's Best" white sand bunkers. We hope with time and funding we can make the needed improvements on the Mountain 9-holes.
I appreciate all comments and we are doing everything within our means to provide you with a great golfing experience. I rate us an overall 4 today, we will always strive to be better!

Waste of Time and Money

Before I drove almost four hours to get there, I called the Pro Shop to ask about course conditions. After letting him know that I would be driving cross country I was told that the course was in "outstanding shape". It is not. Actually, its in deplorable condition. The fairways look like a tractor pulling contest was held on them, very deep ruts all over, huge areas of dead and dying turf, uncut rough and traps that are filled with rock hard black dirt. The course has three nines and only one
( RIVER ) is playable. I was charged $68 plus tax for nine playable holes. No wonder there were very few golfers even though the weather was ideal. Save your money and your time. If you want t look at the lake you can do so from the dozens of free rest areas.

Commented on 08/13/2017

Thanks for the comments maximusgolfus. We appreciate all reviews, good or bad. It is true, the Mountain 9-holes does need some work and we are daily trying to improve it's conditions. Please keep in mind that leading up to the day you played, in two weeks we had over 14 inches of rain. We had the most rain in the month of June ever recorded at the golf course. When we commented that the course was in outstanding shape, that was taking into account that past rainfall and we were still above water and golfing. Some course might be unplayable and closed. I think your pictures tell the story. When golfers go off the cart paths or mowers mow grass, they create ruts and potholes with that much saturated turf. It also shocks some areas with that much rain and the turf can look dead and rotted, but with drying out and care, comes back green.
We do all we can to repair that. Also, you played after the 4th of July Holiday. We being a destination golf course, most players had played through the 1st to 4th. Historically the day you played is quiet, not many vacationing.
I understand social media is a format where people can say what they want, but I encourage those that have a bad(or good) experience to find management on the spot and express your issues.
Yours Truly,

Pretty Course, TERRIBLE Staff

I've been making the 4.5 Hour trip from Minneapolis yearly to play this course; the scenery is really tough to beat.

However, I really can't stay silent any longer about the terribly rude staff that works at this course. I don't know if it's stemming from an iron-range dislike for "city folk" or if it's reverse age discrimination, but it get's worse every year.

These managers need to wakeup and realize that a course like this can't sustain itself by locals only, it depends on tourism golf- just be kind to everyone that comes up to spend $75 in greens fees for "so-so" conditions, along with the $40 spent on lunch and beer, not to mention the support to the local economy.

Commented on 08/13/2017

Thank you u1633173 for the comments. These last couple of years Superior National has gone through management changes. I pledge myself and my staff going forward to welcome every golfer and provide them with a pleasurable golfing experience.
I hope you can make it back and play the renovated 18-holes in 2018.
Sincerely,

Superior

Love the course. One my favorites. Goldstrand did a fabulous Job on the newest layout. Very picturesque.

course staff Management

The staff at the course did not monitor pace of play and this is killing the game of golf ion my view. Nor did they make us aware that this course was under construction before we drove 150 miles so we could determine whether we even wanted to make the trip which we would not have if this information was provided. Would not make the drive again based on these facts.

Price was great

Beautiful scenery with views of Lake Superior.
Excellent price on Golfnow

golf outing

Beautiful scenery. It's good they are redoing the course because it's in bad shape. Greens very slow. Personnel were helpful.

Superior National

Very nice setting as advertised. Lots of construction going on River nine is closed Canyon 9 not to be missed.
Nice, helpful staff.

Beautiful course you will not forget!!

Great course. The RIVER course is a must if you are golfing this course, you will not forget the views from this 9. The mountain 9 is nice also but more like a average golf course. Putting was difficult as the lake "pulls" the ball toward it, so you will have to be aware of where the lake is when you are on the green.

unique course must play at least once

Great views and scenery but fog on lake diminished it a lot on our day. Fairways were in fair condition, greens excellent. Not overly tight driving but with rough baked out and mostly running away to woods or water for drainage I suppose, any moderate miss was gone. Putting was a bit of a mystery due to lake effect. Only real negative I had was when going into woods there were to many times the drop offered no shot to green. In effect a double penalty. I recommend the mountain/ canyon, skip the river. Mundane after the other two nines.

Breathtaking views

we played this morning on a disc. our overall experience was amazing. the course was in pristine shape with the exception of the couple of greens that appeared to have suffered winterkill. I was surprised at the time of play because of the beauty, the lake views, water falls & the rivers where amazing, will definitely play again with another discount.

Lutsen, Minnesota